“Overrated”

Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
“Overrated”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Pros: nice view & exterior of the resort, additional 2 bottles of water & 4 kisses chocolate in the evening.

Cons: no duvets in the room, unlike what is shown on their website, proper swimwear not enforced in the swimming pool which gave the resort a poor image, poor quality of towels in the room, no hand towels or wash cloth, broken tv remote, broken outlet near the bed, rain shower in bathroom is leaking on the sides, lack of organization in buffet breakfast & guests have to search for tables where they can just put some extra tables & chairs to accommodate all guests, slow service during breakfast, poor quality of breakfast.

I expected more but I was disappointed. I will not recommend it to others unless they will improve their service & food.

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Xyzwinnie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We visited this place for a quick lunch and tour of the area.

It's a long 5-6 hour drive from Manila given the numerous ongoing road construction works. When we finally got there, we found the view breathtaking and worth the trip.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the overall design and implementation. I feel that the developer could have made this more luxurious taking advantage of its great location.

We ate lunch at Olive's Restaurant. Ordered pizza and pasta. The pizza is average. The pasta lacks salt and pepper. The food was underwhelming and overpriced. They should improve on this further. However, service in the restaurant is very good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tin_Manila
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights in February with my wife, the Thunderbird Resort is fantastic hotel. The staff are very helpfull and courteous, the food was excellent and the room was excellent with a very comfortable bed.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a hotel in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alecbromley
Luna, La Union, Philippines
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is where I greatly recommend everyone looking for a truly gateway paradise. The infinite view of sea and the stunning sunset view atop a cliff adds to the perfect astounding view of the horizon and beyond.
A very romantic and breathtaking place to honeymooners. The restaurant offers superb foods worth the price.
All I can say positively reflected my enjoyable stay.
All thumbs up.

Room Tip: Choose a room on ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cabuyao, Philippines
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This place is definitely worth the 6-7 hours travel by road from Manila. Truly a great getaway as the view would make you feel like you were transported to another country entirely. Situated on the tip of La Union, it offers an uninterrupted view of the horizon that is a perfect backdrop to the Santorini-inspired buildings. The dining area is an open terrace taking advantage of the view. The food is delicious and the breakfast selection is extensive. The swimming pool is picture perfect and very relaxing to swim in while enjoying the view.

Construction is ongoing during the time we visited and it partially blocked our view of the pool from our room but once it's finished then only downside of the place would be that swimming on the beach is discouraged. Guests can opt to travel to the surfing capital of San Juan, La Union which is less than an hour away from Thunderbird and the hotel staff will bring and fetch you there on the hotel vans for a minimal fee of P500.

We opted to drive to the summer capital Baguio City which is only an hour away via Naguilian road for lunch and we were easily back before 5PM.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool and facing the ocean are good
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here due to a delayed business trip. I had already heard of Thunderbird because it is in the free-zone port where I do business. I had to have some strings pulled to get a room because I was traveling with others and were first told there was only 1 room available. Once strings were pulled suddenly another room was available.

I was very happy from the time I arrived till the time I left. Very good service at the Olives restaurant, front desk, and room service.

There is still construction going on, and it dulled the view of the sunset a bit, but overlooking the construction, one can see the sun set into the ocean. Very breathtaking.
The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The room was clean, but could see some sloppy paint work on the wall trim that showed a lack detail. However, since the room was clean, and the shower was large, I didn't worry about it.

There is a spa, and tried to make a last-minute appointment but was all booked up.

There are only 30+ rooms here, but the hotel was busy with people from the surrounding area enjoying the restaurants.

Olives restaurant was very good. The portions are large. I ordered the veal and was very happy with it, as it was cooked to exactly how I wanted it. The service was quick, and pleasant.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank steven_nagoya
Urdaneta City, Philippines
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I would like to send you some feedback from the 14 Feb 2014 – Valentines Dinner at the Thunderbird Resort La Union. I did send a email to the Sales Manager A.P. - but never got a response.
For us the Dinner was the highlight of our Celebration of Love weekend and we attended with 4 people (2 couples), having driven up from Urdaneta. The scenery was perfect – ambiance nice and tasteful – the music great – so the first impression was awesome.

so we sit down and from here on few things been not so nice.

First it started with a Waiter trying to sell us a Bottle of wine – we had nothing else on the table – no drink water .. only 1 menu for 4 people ... so we declined and waited for our “included wine”. to our surprise we had to choose between Wine – Coffee or Tea – that’s never happen in my life (working more than 26 years in the industry) as coffee and tea always get served last to finish off the evening ...

When the Waitress came for the Drink Water – I ask if I can change the seafood soup to something else – so she offers me Mushroom soup and I been fine at that time.
when the first food came – we been surprised again as we got served the soup first – so we send it back and ask for the salad to be served first. Honestly – the salad was a disgrace – salad leaves swimming in mayonnaise – with 2 half lost shrimps and few carrot julienne –.. wau – what a downturn that was

after the first course the soup arrive – and a waiter approached me and said – we don’t have Mushroom soup – but they could give me Pumpkin. so I agreed and had to wait for the soup when my table mates already eating the seafood soup. When finally the Pumpkin Soup been served – its was below 1* quality and I did not eat at all.

the Main course was much better – maybe presentation could be a little bit more fancy and all had been good until I try the sauce – a sauce made from powder stock .. for your quality property a downturn again. The meat was cooked nice and been tender – vegetable either to hard or to soft

Last arrived the dessert – the cheesecake – and apart from presentation been good.

After the last course been served and we had eaten – we left and on the way out my partner been asked from the Matre’D if everything was ok – and she explained what we experienced ..
She also told us, the hotel has a Foreigner as Executive Chef – which surprised me complete
Fact: For your Property and the Price P/P 1200 Peso for the dinner – I have expected a quality dinner – what we got is disappointment.
We been in your Hotel before as friends invited us – but next time we thinking hard before we agree do dine again at your restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
#1 of 9 in San Fernando La Union
Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!