“Wonderful stay”

Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
Taguig City, Philippines
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel's Santorini-inspired architecture is beautiful. The rooms are clean and spacious (though showing a few signs of aging). The staff are courteous and helpful. The amenities are ok as I find the pool a little small. The sand on the beach is on the rocky side. We did enjoy their water gun activity and we were able to hit some balls in the driving range.

The breakfast buffet is good. Spread is just right and food is delicious. I enjoyed the view of the ocean while we were having breakfast.

The resort is just a short drive away from San Juan Surfing School.

Stayed June 2014
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Twisted_Travelholic,

Greetings from Thunderbird Resorts.

I highly appreciated your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. I am happy to know that that we were able to meet your expectations.

I am glad that you enjoyed our WATERFUN gun game, one of the unique activities that Thunderbird Resorts offers. In addition, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we will be coming up with more recreational activities soon in our resort.

I am looking forward in welcoming you back on your next visit here in La Union.
Please do not hesitate to contact me thru my mobile phone (0908) 815-8892 or e-mail me at mlanuza@thunderbird-asia.com.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Took me a while in booking a vacation in the resort. Accommodation always full. Place is great, very clean, friendly staff, buffet breakfast the best.
Although very limited menu, food is great but a little pricey. renovation on going when I visited the place. Beach is good but small.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Lito R,

Greetings from Thunderbird Resorts.
Thank you for your time for sharing your experience here in our property. I highly appreciated your positive feedback with your overall experience from our resort. I am delighted to inform you that there are several developments, such as expansion of our room accommodations, recreational activities, events center, and a lot more. We also have recently changed and upgraded our food menus from our restaurants

I am looking forward in welcoming you back on your next visit to La Union.

Best Wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Thunderbird resort is a fairly modern motel type facility next to a small Filipino casino near San Fernando Luzon. The casino mainly attracts people from the hill regions of Luzon. The Thunderbird motel is a clean and relatively modern facility, at Poro Point. The isolated location of the motel and casino means that there is no nearby public transport or taxis so any movement to or from the place needs a long car journey on dangerous roads. The rooms are wildly over-priced presumably due to lack of competition for modern accommodation in the area. The car services supplied by the motel is also wildly over-priced with cheaper rates available locally. The place seems designed for short family or group vacations, with no relevant facility for couples, business or long-stay customers. The swimming pool is only suitable for young children and lacks shade. The beach also lacks shade and is not clean or well maintained. The rooms are clean but the local water and electricity supply are weak and not reliable. The bath and shower are therefore useless with water pressure being best described as a weak dribble. The restaurants are poorly serviced with poor to average food and badly trained staff.

Room Tip: Not suitable for business travelers or couples
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Scot_Aussie31
Dear Scott_Aussie13,

Greetings from Thunderbird Resorts.

I appreciate your constructive feedback that you have shared here in TripAdvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for us not meeting your expectations during your stay in our resort. I am glad to inform you that our property is coming up with several developments that will more entice guests to visit our magnificent resort. We are also having different kinds of room packages for our guests to choose which are suitable for them.

Rest be assured that the whole Thunderbird Resorts Family will keep improving our facilities and providing the best extra ordinary experience we can offer to keep us the Best Luxury Resort in the Northern area of the Philippines.
I do hope that you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your next visit to L a Union.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I first fell in love with the place last August 2013 during our family vacation. We stayed for 2days and 1 night. Everything just exudes a calm and serene ambiance. My only problem was that the beach was not suitable for swimming due to really strong waves. Nonetheless, the beautiful architecture and warm people more than made up for it.

I revisited the place this May during our company outing. Was happy to see that the beach was now ok for swimming. It was the perfect setting for our outing. The villas were nice, clean, comfy and spacious. The beach made for a perfect setting for our team building activities.

The food was ok but nothing special. I recommend this to everyone looking for a first class hotel with a little bit of everything. :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It’s hard to book and reserve at Thunderbird, Poro on summers and peak seasons. They’re always fully booked! That’s why I was just so happy to land on 4 deluxe rooms on a Sunday to Monday slot in the month of May!! Woohoo! Was suppose to book two nights but it just can’t work so we just had to settle. J

Each deluxe room has 2 queen size beds so given the big party that we have, this comfortably fits in four people each room!! Everybody happy.

It was a hot sunny day when we arrived but the welcome drinks and the cold towels soothe the overwhelming heat! Checking in four rooms took some time but the front desk guys were welcoming and doing all their best to make it fast. Our rooms were ready and they made it appoint we all stayed together in one floor. We were on the third floor. Nicer view overlooking the sea, the setback is: there are no elevators! This was my problem for our not-so-young folks. Walking up the stairs is a feat for them! There were staff who would bring up your bags/luggages but you’d pity the guys as they just had to do it and since it’s hot (37 degrees), they were really perspiring. A big tip for the big effort!

The rooms were clean but the cover sheets were color brown. I would have liked the white sheets better, as featured in their site. They have big bathrooms but not bath tub. The hot and cold water was not working well too. It does not get as hot as it should. Good thing it’s summer. They should also check their doors. There’s no double lock and they’re not just well aligned. It seems close but you have to really push it well so that it locks well.

The beach and the pool area were also nice. Lifeguards were attentive and pool towels were well provided. Swimming was the major thing we did!!! Pool tiles will just have to be checked from time to time as some edges really need some fixing. Some sheds at the bay needs some fixing as well.

Olive’s Restaurant is quite pricey but they have good and tasty pasta. Breakfast served is also okay. During breakfast, they served espada (dried sword fish) and it was good and crunchy. The vinegar that went with it was great! Overheard one hotel guest asking if they sell.

The casino is far from the hotel itself although they could shuttle you going there. We didn’t try though as we have kids in tow. We just went to that area to have dinner at Vegas café. It’s buffet with unlimited iced tea at Php300 per head (promo rate). Food was average. Nothing spectacular.

There’s renovation on going at the south wing of the hotel. It may probably last a few more months. Better if you ask for rooms at the north wing. There are villas nearby but it’s quite a walk to the hotel, pools and the beach.

The resort may have some kind of influence of the Santorini islands of Greece but, probably just slight. Haven’t been to Greece. Haha.

Overall, we had a nice stay but I admit I was expecting more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dreamy_traveler
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Love the Santorini-inspired architecture, the beach and the warmth of the people. I had my wedding there and it was all worth the long drive.My family enjoyed the night swimming in the pool and the early swim in the sea.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Anna B,

Thank you for choosing Thunderbird Resorts to celebrate your special day. We are delighted to know that you were satisfied with our premises and services. It'll be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Best regards from Thunderbird Resorts- Poro!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

very nice lobby and area however, limited restaurants, maybe the 8 hr blackout from out villa ruined our experience however, my nieces wedding ended up beautiful. the beach is rocky and im not sure if its safe for swimming. the grass area infront of the lobby was dead dry.. still a pleasant place to visit though

Stayed May 2014
El Puerto Marina Beach Resort & Spa
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
#1 of 9 in San Fernando La Union

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!