“British owner is awesome”

and 1 more site!
Drifters Apartel and British Bar
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Kelowna, Canada
“British owner is awesome”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

It's an apartel. I thought I'd clarify that first. The rooms are kept immaculate. Comfy with the ability to self cater. Air con,wifi works great. Small pool which is also impeccably clean.
Great value British meals availiable and has a nice pub below. Motorcycle rentals can be had there. One minor note on this, the owner isn't always there to see the upkeep of these bikes is done. We had a minor accident due to the chain falling off while we were going up a hill on Samal. We both sustained minor injuries. Marnet,the proprietors wife demanded we pay an exorbitant amount of money for a foot peg damaged. We were prepared to pay a reasonable price for the foot peg but not what she demanded :-((. Also keep an eye on medications as one of chamber staff did take a couple of the sleeping pills that my partner had.
Money was never touched and nothing else ever went sour.
Fantastic place to stay that's quiet and secure , comfort foods and a generally good vibe. Really love the owner as he's a man of distinction and goes out of his way to make you comfortable.. One quote he has on the wall downstairs in the pub ,remember where you are!!
I would definitely stay there again. Sigh. As it was our home away from home
Aside from above that was the only major issue

Stayed September 2013
9 Thank Laura A
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello and thank you for the review. Reviews are important to us and we react accordingly to make peoples stay more pleasant.
Im very sorry for the problems you had with the bike, I can assure you that all the bikes have now been fully serviced and road tested by me July 25. Many thanks for your comments about our place, everyone does their best while Im away. Expat management is important, rest assured I will soon be back full time to further enhance Drifters. Mean while I will be there much more often.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The owners and staff are very friendly and happy to help. The pool and terrace area makes it easy to meet other people if you're travelling alone.
It's very close to the airport and also close to the boats leaving for Samal Island. My taxi driver from the airport knew exactly where Drifters was and I arrived past 11pm. I'd emailed to say I'd arrive late and the guard let me in.
The English breakfast and Filipino food I had there were both very good.
The room was clean and well equipped. Good wifi and no problems with electricity.
I wish they would relax their policy a bit on renting their motorbikes as they wanted me to stay another night before they would rent me one and were reluctant to let me keep the bike overnight. The owner did however help me find a rental place but it was shut and I ended up taking the boat to Samal island and renting one there.
I'll be back to Drifters when I return to Davao.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Breizho
DavaoBert, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Drifters. The Taxi drivers are getting much better these days so finding us is less of a problem.
Pls accept my apology with the motor cycle. We had a very bad experience where one of our guests rented a bike and put 5000kl on it and brought it back a wreck. If you return anytime to Drifters we can adjust our bike policy for you.
Regards from Bert and Drifters.
Philippines
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have mixed emotions about the place.

Good stuff I remember:
1. There was hardly anyone else checked in for that day, so we enjoyed the pool to ourselves.
2. Place was quiet and we felt secured because there was a guard on duty at night and this is located inside a village - not on a busy area.

Things I don't quite like:
1. Place was very difficult to find. They do have signages for directions, yet our taxi still got lost inside the village. The staff did their best to give us directions on our mobilephones, but when it's your firsttime around this place, you don't really expect to know things like "when reaching the mosque, turn left!" kind of instructions. Would have been better to have someone greet/meet you at the village's gate.
2. Food and bottled water/drinks prices were not really Davao prices. Plated breakfast averaged at P250, Bottle of local beer was, I think, P55.00. Maybe, if you're a foreigner (or rich), this will fall within your budget. There was no alternatives because the nearest convenience store (or any store or restaurant, for the matter) was quite far.
3. One may appreciate the peacefulness or silence of the place, but the apartel's location was more of a restriction to me. It cuts you off from "choices and flexibility" and you'll just have to deal with the supplies that the apartel had to offer.

Overall, I least liked the apartel's location and how it cuts my choices down to what the hotel offered.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank itgbkj
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
This is the type of review that I like, its a persons general review on how they felt and not a personal attack on Drifters or Drifters Staff like some other reviews.
Location, Not sure which way the taxi drove you in, but the shortest route by taxi is 600mt from the HI way. Our staff should have given you a calling card which has a map on the rear side which you can show to the taxi. If this didn't happen Im very sorry.
As you said first time in this area takes some understanding of where you are, but there's a Sari store is just around the corner where you can by drinks at Sari store prices. At the HI way, choice super market. and across the HI way Jolly Bee.
We have no restrictions on you bringing food or drinks inside to enjoy in the garden by the pool or in your room. Our bar prices are what they are, but at least its private and not full of noisy drinkers as you find down town.
Many thanks for your review, we will learn and adjust. Kind regards Bert Baldwin, Owner.
Hays, Kansas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am surprised Drifters is listed on Trip Advisor, since it does not seem to meet the minimum requirements for the site one example is there is no reception area and especially no 24 hours service. You just have to wander around the facility until you find someone. There is a bell down in the basement, but it seemed very seldom that anyone was there. The location is TERRIBLE! Drifters is located in a residential sub-division and it is about 1 1/2k to the main road which also means there are no restaurants or other shopping within a reasonable walking distance. The sub-division is located a long distance from any of the normal tourist attractions, so you should add a substantial amount to the price of the room for public transportation. Room was a nice size and comfortable, but the hot water was very unreliable. good WiFi in the room. Food is average, but somewhat expensive compared to other local restaurants, of course they can probably charge more since there are no other close places to eat. Food service is slow. Drifters does not seem to be very customer oriented and here are a couple of reasons. The first night there was a brownout, after about an hour they finally started their generator, but they said the air conditioner had to be shut off because their generator could not handle the load. It would be nice if they would at least provide you with a fan. Third night another brownout and had to wait over an hour before dinner could be prepared because they did not want to start the generator. I had my own motorcycle and I wanted to borrow a helmet for a passenger and they had 5 or 6 helmets setting there. I asked the attendant and she said she would ask Madam. I thought since I was staying there several nights they would either just let me use it or maybe charge P50 or P100, but she came back with a charge of P500! I told her for a couple hundred more I could buy a helmet and that it what I did. It seems making a few hundred extra pesos is more important than customer satisfaction. There are a lot of hotels in Davao with cheaper rates and in much better locations. I regret that I did not transfer from drifters sooner. You might checkout Las Casitas Hotel near the Apo View. I have also reviewed it on Trip Advisor. But staying at drifters may make you feel like a kid again, since there are signs posted in the rooms, bathroom and common areas with posted restrictions of what you can and cannot do such as if you leave the AC on when not in the room they may come in and turn it off or if you leave a mess they may charge you P250 for extra cleaning fee and there are a lot of time restrictions for things. If you want a relaxing stay, I suggest you go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank kuyals
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Drifters is indeed .6 of a kilometer inside Nova Terra sub division, It explains this on our web site. .6 of a kilometer is just 600meters away from the Hiway.
We are very sorry about the electric but it affects all us in the Philippines due to the long dry spell, your air con could have been used on fan mode for the short period of time the power is off.
House keeping is done daily from 8am until 5pm, if you need your room cleaning outside of this time yes we will probably charge you.
Crash Helmets! You checked in alone, then you wanted a crash helmet for a non regesterd lady guest. Im suprised that we even offerd you a helmet for 500php for use with your own motor cycle. Hemets x2 are for Drifters Guests renting our motor cycles. They cost 3500php to buy! we had one stolen already.
Reception is in the Bar open from 6am till 10pm, After 10pm the security guard handles reception. Just like many places on trip advisor.
Cost, your rm 5 was 950 php per night.
Bert Baldwin Owner.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

quick stop over this time just a week but again not let down nice homely feel to the place good beers and ciders food always spot on and friendly staff . the only place i stay at that i miss if you need to be in davao drifters is the place

Room Tip: i am light sleeper so i ask for split A/C unit
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here again last week, and I will stay again any time I am in Davao.

If you are looking to watch American sports: Football, Baseball, you can see it here. This is because the owner has taken the trouble to not only subscribe to a cable network, they pay for the premium packages that bring in the US sports. That is on ASN Network. Fox sports is on here as well, but what do they show? Soccer! And strange sports from Australia like Rugby.

I have not seen any hotel in the Philippines that shows ASN Network. Some bars will have it, I have not seen any in Davao that do.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamboME
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Many thanks for the review, we try our best to pls all our customers.
I really hope that you enjoyed your stay and watching some our our strange Rugby sports as well as your favourites.
Many thanks, Bert Baldwin, the owner.
epsom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I found this hotel through the web, and was instantly taken in by in,, well the pics they had posted of the bar! and the thought that i hadn't visited davao. i was met at the airport and taken to this wonderful place, deep in a residential area, it was so different than other hotels stayed at. Loved it, like a home from home, the cook was superb and would always put on a sunday roast, as good as mum used to do, sunday lunch in a pub , love it!
Apart fromn the food and beer, the hotel was clean, and well serviced, i couldnt fault it in any way. the owners would go out of their way to arrange day trips to local attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo