“Margarita - reminds you of your old aunt, huh?”
Review of Villa Margarita

Villa Margarita
Ranked #35 of 53 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed 30 October 2011

If you think from the photos that Villa Margarita Hotel is old, well, YES, IT'S ANCIENT!

If you see it in person, you'd feel old. The name Margarita didn't remind me of my favorite cocktail drink. It reminded me of an old aunt.

Stayed at this hotel back in June 2011. It was near the city center - the newly-built Abreeza Mall of Ayala company, the busy flyover in JP Laurel, that beautiful condo Camella Northpoint.

And then there's Villa Margarita. From the outside, it looks homey enough. The staff greeted me warmly despite my late night arrival. The porter guy brought me to my room which looked and smelled old.

It's kinda creepy at the onset. But the basic needs like good-running aircon, hot water were there. But the TV's got a converter - a DVD player like device that converts the signal, hahaha! I don't really know what it does but you'd need to point your TV's remote control to it in order to change channels.

I think I ordered a glass of warm water about... 1 thousand times -- at the desk, over the phone, on the hotel guy that passed by my room. And after 10 years, I still didn't had anything that resembles water nor glass. So I got my key, locked my room good, headed down their pantry. Apparently, almost all kitchen staff were working for the event in the small banquet hall so nobody could attend to me. So I got myself a glass, walked over to the water dispenser and chugged down some much needed refreshment. A kitchen staff saw me and apologized when I told him I'd been requesting for just a glass water and nothing came.

Went back to my room with eye-roll as I passed by the reception. The door and the knobs rattled as I shut down my door angrily. They were chipping off but functioning well. It kept me safe until the following day.

Had a good breakfast inside my room. Left the hotel without tipping anyone.=)

Room Tip: Get a room farthest from the road, lest cars honking will wake you up a little too early.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Carrie W

Reviewed 8 July 2011

Having previously stayed at some awful hotels in Davao I decided to leave my booking this time until I got there and then to use a taxi to drive around until I found somewhere decent. This policy worked well as I found Margaritas Villa in Barjada. The hotel is located on a main road into town with jeepneys taking you direct to the Gasanio Mall for only 8 peso. On route, and actually only 500 metres away, is the new Robinson and Ayala mall, and Victoria Plaza Mall a further 500 metres on.
I checked into a Junior Suite for 1800 peso. The reception desk was cheerful, helpful and efficient. The large bed room was carpeted with nice furniture, a stylish writing desk and matching mirror, a small fridge stocked with soft drinks, a queen size bed with nice crisp clean white sheets, four quality pillows and clean blanket. A large walk-in cubicle shower was spotlessly clean as was the toilet and wash hand basin and mirror that completed the bathroom suite. What I really appreciated was the hot powerful shower that was absolutely blissful! The Internet was charged at 170 peso per day which was disappointing. Nonetheless, the connection was excellent, very fast and I did not lose any work or get interrupted at all.
A Filippino breakfast for two was included in the price. I upgraded to a full American breakfast for 30 peso and it was very good. The service was excellent. The small hotel restaurant serves a Filippino menu that is inexpensive and the food was well cooked and hot. Attached to this restaurant is a Gourmet Restaurant catering for visitors. The menu appeared good and live entertainment was an additional bonus.
The hotel has a nice size oval swimming pool set in a walled garden with well manicured mature shrubs. The pool was serviced regularly and the water looked to be safe. Unfortunately, the pool could do with painting as the bottom and side walls have faded to a dirty colour. In two corners of the yard there was a broken down wooden panelled shed that looked untidy and out of place and pile of broken plant pots and wooden frames. Moreover, access to the pool is through an area used by staff to eat, rest and smoke. It looks untidy and spoils the whole image of the hotel besides the entrance to the pool. The pool area has a couple of filthy dirty white plastic chairs. What a difference a quick tidy up would make together with a few nice pieces of poolside furniture!
Overall I was very happy here and will definitely be back. It is a relatively low cost establishment, a little bit tired in decor but honest and clean. I passed this review to the management and they said it is their intention to improve the poolside area. We will see.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank FrankieDP
Reviewed 5 April 2011

The good: The hotel is on one of the main roads of Davao, so it's easy to get a cab and get to where you want to go. The reception persons were nice, at least two of them. The manager, was my oh my, a total snob. She didn't even look up from her cellphone when another guest was asking her a question - this brings me to...

The bad: The rooms are old, the bed sheets are dirty, the shower hardly has space, and the hot water inconsistent.

The ugly: Huge black ants in the bathroom sink, two cockroaches under the bed, and of course mosquitoes had to join the party.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank yjgisaac
Reviewed 5 May 2009

The picture of this hotel in online search is wonderful so I decided to make a reservation for the whole family but we were dismayed when we got there. The hotel is just 2 storey and U-shape. The rooms are old and musty. The airconditioner in our first room is not cooling so we complained and they transfered us to another room. The faucet in the lavatory was dripping for both rooms. The rooms are small and the mattresses are so old. There is payment for extra pillow and internet, and if you request for hot water for coffee, they will bring in a thermos and transfer the hot water in the old thermos provided in the room. The worst thing is- the rooms open to outside corridor, facing the small parking area and restaurant so if you are wearing pajamas and want to visit another room, you can smell the smoke coming from the road and customers can see you pronto! The rooms are noisy too because it is just beside the main road. Even the rates are cheap, for sure there are better hotels than this.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family