“Great Stay”

Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Davao City, Philippines
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Everything was wonderful; the location, comfort, cleanliness, parking availability etc,etc.The rooms are modern, cozy and quiet. The staff was wonderful and helpful. While we were only there for 2 nights, I would recommend them highly and will return for a future visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Glecille M

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bangkok
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This place is located about 200 meters from the abreeza mall on one side and a few kilometers to SM mall - Lanang in the other. the place is a bit rundown but fresh and clean. I would like to commend the staff from the receptionist to the room boy and waiter. I can see that they were trained well and they executed their tasks in a professional and cheerful manner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sunnimoreno
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stumbled upon Villa Margarita because one of my friends recommended it. All I can say that the experience was really wonderful. :) Hospitality management wise, two-thumbs up! Convenience of the location, approved! Value for money, double check!!! Facilities pretty decent, they are all upgraded!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Muddy_Boots_Travel
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 24 November 2012

If you're looking for cheap accommodations in Davao, this is the place for you. Don't expect great service or facilities though. yes, the hotel is showing its age. The lobby is smallish and a bit claustrophobic. The rooms are at the second floor, with an equally dark and narrow corridor. Rooms are old, with old beds, late-70s to early 80s decor and furnishings. The TV is also old and small. The breakfast is nothing to look forward too, just a plated spread of tired old Pinoy favorites, and not too much at that. But the staff are friendly and courteous. And yes, it's about 5 minutes walk to Abreeza Mall, which I think is its biggest draw.

For just around 1,000 pesos a night, it'll do if you're not really picky and just need a place to lie down and sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank TheShrike_inManila
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed here for a night and good thing it was just one night, moved to waterfront after. Stayed here after flight from manila with my cousins and I don't know what else is good about this property besides being extremely close to the new mall there called Abreeza.

1. Bed was...(shakes my head)
2. TV was micro-mini
3. Internet was...oh gosh i don't even wanna talk about it. Had to call 3 times, been transfered here and there, was able to get a 1 bit per minute connection around 3am and got cut again around 5am. and my cousin paid their 24hr highspeed wireless internet service.
4. Breakfast ...just get your food from a convinience store so you'll be less disappointed.
5. We had to drag our huge luggages from upstairs and stairs was so steep we had to carry it sideways that my cousin fell over. Yes no one even helped carrying our stuff.
6. We never knew there was a pool.
7. Bathroom was icky and full of hair!

Still giving 2 stars for the distance to the mall and the cheap price but still blah!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank HustlinMNL

Travellers are raving about these Davao City hotels

Pasig City
Reviewed 30 October 2011

If you think from the photos that Villa Margarita Hotel is old, well, YES, IT'S ANCIENT!

If you see it in person, you'd feel old. The name Margarita didn't remind me of my favorite cocktail drink. It reminded me of an old aunt.

Stayed at this hotel back in June 2011. It was near the city center - the newly-built Abreeza Mall of Ayala company, the busy flyover in JP Laurel, that beautiful condo Camella Northpoint.

And then there's Villa Margarita. From the outside, it looks homey enough. The staff greeted me warmly despite my late night arrival. The porter guy brought me to my room which looked and smelled old.

It's kinda creepy at the onset. But the basic needs like good-running aircon, hot water were there. But the TV's got a converter - a DVD player like device that converts the signal, hahaha! I don't really know what it does but you'd need to point your TV's remote control to it in order to change channels.

I think I ordered a glass of warm water about... 1 thousand times -- at the desk, over the phone, on the hotel guy that passed by my room. And after 10 years, I still didn't had anything that resembles water nor glass. So I got my key, locked my room good, headed down their pantry. Apparently, almost all kitchen staff were working for the event in the small banquet hall so nobody could attend to me. So I got myself a glass, walked over to the water dispenser and chugged down some much needed refreshment. A kitchen staff saw me and apologized when I told him I'd been requesting for just a glass water and nothing came.

Went back to my room with eye-roll as I passed by the reception. The door and the knobs rattled as I shut down my door angrily. They were chipping off but functioning well. It kept me safe until the following day.

Had a good breakfast inside my room. Left the hotel without tipping anyone.=)

Room Tip: Get a room farthest from the road, lest cars honking will wake you up a little too early.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Carrie W
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Having previously stayed at some awful hotels in Davao I decided to leave my booking this time until I got there and then to use a taxi to drive around until I found somewhere decent. This policy worked well as I found Margaritas Villa in Barjada. The hotel is located on a main road into town with jeepneys taking you direct to the Gasanio Mall for only 8 peso. On route, and actually only 500 metres away, is the new Robinson and Ayala mall, and Victoria Plaza Mall a further 500 metres on.
I checked into a Junior Suite for 1800 peso. The reception desk was cheerful, helpful and efficient. The large bed room was carpeted with nice furniture, a stylish writing desk and matching mirror, a small fridge stocked with soft drinks, a queen size bed with nice crisp clean white sheets, four quality pillows and clean blanket. A large walk-in cubicle shower was spotlessly clean as was the toilet and wash hand basin and mirror that completed the bathroom suite. What I really appreciated was the hot powerful shower that was absolutely blissful! The Internet was charged at 170 peso per day which was disappointing. Nonetheless, the connection was excellent, very fast and I did not lose any work or get interrupted at all.
A Filippino breakfast for two was included in the price. I upgraded to a full American breakfast for 30 peso and it was very good. The service was excellent. The small hotel restaurant serves a Filippino menu that is inexpensive and the food was well cooked and hot. Attached to this restaurant is a Gourmet Restaurant catering for visitors. The menu appeared good and live entertainment was an additional bonus.
The hotel has a nice size oval swimming pool set in a walled garden with well manicured mature shrubs. The pool was serviced regularly and the water looked to be safe. Unfortunately, the pool could do with painting as the bottom and side walls have faded to a dirty colour. In two corners of the yard there was a broken down wooden panelled shed that looked untidy and out of place and pile of broken plant pots and wooden frames. Moreover, access to the pool is through an area used by staff to eat, rest and smoke. It looks untidy and spoils the whole image of the hotel besides the entrance to the pool. The pool area has a couple of filthy dirty white plastic chairs. What a difference a quick tidy up would make together with a few nice pieces of poolside furniture!
Overall I was very happy here and will definitely be back. It is a relatively low cost establishment, a little bit tired in decor but honest and clean. I passed this review to the management and they said it is their intention to improve the poolside area. We will see.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business