“On Comfort”

Hotel Tropika Davao
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed 2 July 2012

One would be hard-pressed to find a hotel with the welcoming vibe of a home, a huge garden with an installation of ceramic jars that doubles as a fountain and the amenities of a well-managed hotel. And to have this hotel tucked away neatly amidst tall trees away from the noise, smog and busy-ness of the city is a real treat. And then when you are ready to go back to busy streets and everything that constitutes a city vibrant with life, the hotel is just a a hop and a skip away from JP Laurel Avenue. The staff are welcoming and so accommodating. Eating at the restaurant is a gastronomical delight. I intentionally made sure that all my meals were taken at the restaurant so I could try each and every dish. Every dish I tasted, I was absolutely pleased with. This hotel is a must-see, must-go, must-experience. Reserve ahead of time, you must. The hotel is always fully booked because word has gone around. But go and experience, you must!

Room Tip: Reserve early so you can choose rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Raye B
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Raye B,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Tropika and thank you for your kind recommendation to other readers. We will also relay your compliments to Chef Justin of Cafe Aseya, who will surely be delighted to hear that you took pleasure in his food creations.

We look forward to welcoming your again on your next trip to Davao City.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed at Tropika for 4 days. Had a great time there. Enjoyed the peace & quiet that the hotel afforded being a few meters away from the main road which most hotels in Davao does not enjoy. Rooms are spacious, sound proofed & cleaned daily.Front desk staff are courteous, helpful & friendly, same could be said for other hotel employees. Breakfast is included in all room rates.Great WiFi connection. Amenities like a gym or a pool could make it even better. Surely i'll be stay there again whenever im in Davao & will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank dexter_jardeleza
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Dear dexter_jardeleza,

We're glad that you enjoyed the quiet surroundings of the hotel, as well as the comfort and amenities of your room. We opted out of a swimming pool because of the hotel's proximity to Davao's beautiful beaches. We instead offer guests free shuttle service to selected Samal Island resort jetties.

Thank you for appreciating the efforts of our staff. They are there to ensure your pleasant stay. Thank you too for recommending us to your friends.

We look forward to serving you again at Hotel Tropika.

Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

This has definitely been the best hotel I have stayed at in Davao, maybe even in Mindanao! The service was excellent, they were really patient with my numerous specifications with food as I was on the Cohen diet. On top of it all I loved the King sized bed! I slept great at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank manilagirl83
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Dear manilagirl83,

We are delighted by your kind remarks about Hotel Tropika, and will relay your compliments to the chef and staff of Cafe Aseya. Looking forward to serving you again on your next visit to Davao City.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Every time I go to a place, I check Tripadvisor to determine where to stay. Consistently, this hotel top the list. For my latest Davao business trip, I decided to check it out.

The hotel is located away from downtown (near km 7) and away from the main road (100m). It is also near the airport and a hotel with casino. It is relatively a "medium size hotel" that provides satisfactory service. The rooms are big (comparable to 5 star hotels in Davao, except for bath tub) with the basic amenities like cable TV, toiletries, ref, etc. Wi-fi is free and fast. Sleep quality is great and rooms are clean.

It is on top of the list within its category or class at a very competitive price!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Miner_DMS91
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Miner_DMS91,

Thank you for finding good value in Hotel Tropika. We are pleased to learn that you had a pleasant and restful stay and find our rooms clean and comfortable. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Davao City.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

My friend had their wedding reception in Hotel Tropika. And WOW the food is unforgettable! the place is really beautiful and the service is great.

For me that total experience is an A!

Tah...

Room Tip: rooms overlooking their garden is the best choice!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank maia_cyllene
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear maia_cyliene,

We are glad you enjoyed the food we prepared for your friend's wedding reception. Happy too that you approve of the hotel and its surroundings. All our rooms overlook the garden where guests can go for a relaxing morning or evening stroll. There is also a small courtyard at the back where one can limber up with morning exercises.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope to welcome you again at Hotel Tropika.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed overnight at Hotel Tropika last May 17, 2012. We were supposed to stay two nights but the hotel is fully booked -- a sign to me that the hotel is okay. Free breakfast is plated, but okay, as well. The hotel is quiet since it is about 150 meters away from the road. We were seven adults and one child in the group. We payed for extra bedding in the two rooms we got, which they forgot to set-up, so we have to call them at around 10PM when we got back to the hotel.

Over-all, the hotel is worth the almost P1,000 per person per night average price.

We transferred to another hotel the following night where we got a presidential suite to fit all 8 of us. For almost the same price, I will choose Hotel Tropika over the other.

If I go back to Davao in the future, I will definitely stay at Hotel Tropika.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank petelovestotravel

Dear petelovestotravel,

Thank you for your kind review and for finding good value in our accommodation. I apologize for the oversight resulting in delayed setting up your extra beds, but I do hope that you and your group had a comfortable and restful overnight stay at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Tropika.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I recommend the Hotel Tropika in Davao City.

For my second trip to Davao City in April 2012, I chose to return to stay at the Hotel Tropika, where I had stayed with my wife during my first trip (in February). I was not disappointed; the hotel was every bit as comfortable, and the staff every bit as attentive as had been during my first stay.

Almost everything about the hotel was ideal for my needs. The staff is absolutely excellent -- very attentive and thoughtful, friendly and charming as well. They are the highlight of the hotel – a comment which speaks volumes, since other aspects of the hotel were also worthy of praise.

During both stays, the room was large and well-appointed, with a huge bed, air conditioning, colour television with cable, clean, large comfort room with large shower, desk, relaxing chairs, and big windows overlooking the courtyard/garden. (I suspect that all rooms are the same.) The room was very comfortable and quiet.

A courtyard, lawn and garden occupies a substantial area of the property. The gardener obviously takes great care in tending the perimeter flowers and shrubs. A highlight is a small pond near the back of the area. The space makes for a brief but relaxing stroll – a moment of quiet and peace hidden from the hubbub of the bustling city.

The Tropika location is ideal for my needs. Being located a few km away from the city center and away from busy roads, the hotel is a quiet peaceful haven. It seldom takes longer than 15-20 minutes to reach the downtown core, and often less. The taxi ride to most locations costs between p100 and 200 -- at this time between $2 and $5 Canadian. In my opinion and for my purposes, the hotel location was ideal.

Food services at the hotel were a delight. The hotel restaurant is small, but the food is excellent! The menu includes a few Filipino dishes and a variety of dishes from other nations. The menu was not too adventurous for my conservative tastes, and I tried most items during my stays. Absolutely every meal was delicious and of excellent quality. Congratulations to the chef and kitchen staff. Most menu items are prepared very quickly, although the will staff warn you if a dish will take more time for preparation. When I first stayed at the Tropika, the included breakfast was buffet style, consisting of eggs, rice, fish, cereal, sausage and fruit. The buffet was good; however, they started serving breakfast off menu toward the end of my second stay. The breakfast menu was varied, and every morning was a tasty and relaxing treat.
I enjoyed breakfast (and other meals) outdoors on the attached patio, which also overlooks the garden/courtyard below. Each meal enjoyed there was a moment of great relaxation and contentment.

I could continue to rant about the hotel, and will certainly return to stay there again. However, there was one dark mark. During my second stay, the in-room Wi-Fi did not work at all, although the front desk staff stated that it would be fixed almost every day. However, the Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby and patio always worked, and it was no bother to sit outdoors in the covered patio to use the Wi-Fi there. The Wi-Fi failure is not an unusual experience in my travels – perhaps it simply stood out at Tropika due to its contrast with other aspects of the Hotel.

One thing you should know before you stay at the Tropika is that it has no swimming pool -- not an issue for me.

Room Tip: Some might prefer a room on the first floor to avoid stairs (However, there are only three floors, s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Mike R

Dear Mike R,

Thank you for choosing to return to Hotel Tropika and for you kind remarks about our service, our food and other amenities. We continually strive to improve our facilities to ensure a comfortable and restful stay for our guests. We are presently looking at how to improve wi-fi coverage in-room and expect that this should be resolved by your next visit.

Looking forward to serving you again on your return to Davao City.