“Intriguing displays & Headline in Mindanao Times”

D' Bone Collector Museum
Ranked #3 of 74 things to do in Davao City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: D' Bone Collector Museum features animals from around the world. From the depths of the oceans to the worlds tallest bird species. Both young and old alike will enjoy learning about the wonderful animal world around us. The Museum currently has over 650 specimens on display and add more every week. It houses over 29 whale and dolphin skeletons.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

On the day I visited the museum, by serendipity, the front page article "What's Killing our Whales", appeared on the Mindanao Times with an account of how a very rare "gingko beaked" whale had died off the beaches of Davao and the necropsy done, by D.D. Blatchley, at the D-Bone Museum.

Mr. Blatchley and a crew of local citizens had tried to keep the whale alive when it was discovered lethargically swimming in the bay but, their efforts could not undo the damage of a fisherman's float found in its intestines nor other plastic items, that were the ultimate cause of death.

Indeed, many of the marine animals' bones on display were caused by ocean garbage and the displays have the actual items as were the cause of death displayed with the bones for many as well. Quite fascinating. And, sad. I believe the gingko beaked whale in question in the Mindanao Times will be on display at some time too.

So, it was even more fascinating having the opportunity to have a guided tour of the museum done by Mr. Blatchley himself, in English. His knowledge of marine and land animals is fantastic. There are numerous awards and certificates in the museum attesting to his expertise. His tour was crisp, informative, entertaining, and well worth the time. If I should return to Davao--which I hope someday to do--I will definitely want another visit to the museum.

Hope this google map link helps others locate the museum as I note some reviews indicating it was hard to find: https://www.google.com/maps/place/D'Bone+Collector+Museum/@7.061142,125.612706,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x54d9a93413bc6d7b

2  Thank Howie G

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This museum, although challenging to reach, is worth a visit. The collections are arranged by type of species and are appropriately displayed according to habitat. The guides do a good job of explaining the collection and the importance of taking care of the environment. The owners are passionate about their advocacy and it shows in the way they carefully set up the museum and the way they handle the tours.

They also sell souvenirs of crocodile teeth and the like aside from t-shirts.

3  Thank MelP160
Reviewed 12 April 2014

After spending a day alone trying to locate this museum, I took a local companion as a guide and we finally found it.
As you reach quezon and San Pedro junction there is a sign with an arrow, however this arrow points in the wrong direction, and you should ignore this and continue down the small road directly ahead and D'Bone Collector is about 400m on the right hand side.
The museum houses a large selection of skeletons of both land and sea animals, anatomically correct and posed. Everything from ostrich, to horse to even a genuine 6 legged cow! and whale.
There is a guide who will tell you the stories of the exhibits and the American owner.
Cost for adults is 50php so this is a cheap way to spend a few hours if you can find it!

4  Thank saf7670
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I added this in our itinerary on my latest visit to Davao with my parents and relatives simply because it is ranked # 3 I think in the Trip Advisor attractions in Davao City. This museum, is hard to compare to Eden Park or the Philippine Eagle Center or the famous resorts in Samal Island (it really depends on your preference or what you want to see or do) but this is a definitely a must-see and the tour will take an hour max so it will suit the need of those on hectic schedule or even for business travelers. It offers a very clear perspective on the advocacy of the owner to save marine life by promoting awareness and accountability in taking care of our surroundings. It is very educational and definitely an eye-opener for me. I normally prefer nature, beach and mountains on my travels but this time, I can definitely say that this is one of the highlights of my trip. The only downside is its location. If you are riding a cab, the driver said they don't normally pass by the street leading to the museum because of its bad reputation for crime/violence. Well, if you are visiting day time, I think it is perfectly safe.

7  Thank Derwin P
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Tripadvisor lead me to visit this museum. We had hard time to look for it because we are searching the wholr San Pedro Avenue just to find it. We never reached Bucana actually because we thought that who would put a museum in Bucana. We thought that a museum would be found in around a decent place however the owner did he put it there for a reason. There was an minimal entrance fee. It opens 10am but we are not aware and went there at 9am. But the owner gladly welcomes us still.
The tour around the museum was DOUBLE AWESOME!!! It is educational and would ignite awareness on the impact of everyday choices that we make.
Never expected to be like that. The guide was accomodating and never boring.

3  Thank Ulysses R