“A Good Time at a Davao City Institution”
Review of Apo View Hotel

Apo View Hotel
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Quezon City, Philippines
“A Good Time at a Davao City Institution”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

There was some excitement among my staff at the thought of using the Apo View Hotel for our seminar/workshop. The pictures of the place were impressive, and considering that we wouldn't be able to stay at the somewhat more highly-touted Marco Polo, this felt very much like the next best thing.

The good news was, the place did not disappoint, certainly not as far as our workshop needs were concerned; the room we reserved was packed to capacity, but the participants all seems reasonably comfortable, and even though nearly all the seats were taken they were able to move around with ease when they had to during the activity.

The equally good news for me was that both nights I slept there, I did so quite comfortably. Reading a review right here on TripAdvisor I was filled with dread at the possibility of a room filled with mold; I suffer from allergic rhinitis and a room filled with mold and/or mildew could have spelled disaster for me. I was willing to go out to buy a Lysol spray can if I had to but as it turned out the room was as kind to my sinuses as it was easy on the eye, and even though I would have preferred a solo accommodation to the twin-sharing arrangement, I enjoyed two very good nights of sleep.The bathroom was nice and clean as well, and it was easy enough to figure out how to get hot water out of the shower, something I am not often very good at doing.

The highlight of the stay, for me, however, was the food. I'm not even talking about the dinner and lunch, which were pretty good, but the fantastic breakfast buffet. I enjoyed all of the available choices but I especially enjoyed the extremely generous helpings of BACON, something that has not been present on any of the last five breakfast buffets of which I have had the privilege to partake. Call me easy to please, but this was a very big plus for me. Of course, it also helped that the fruit served during the meals was always fresh.

The pool looked impressively clean and well-kept, but I had neither the time nor the energy to try it out thanks to my hectic schedule. I had not intended to rate the pool, as I did below by accident, and because I cannot remove the rating, I have elected instead to base the rating on my experience with the rest of the hotel.

I have a couple of minor quibbles; the layout of the building is somewhat strange as the elevators to the room are located rather far from the lobby, but I assume this has something to do with a new building having been built sometime during the hotel's history, without adequate consideration to integrating it into the existing structure. Anyway, this is far from a deal-breaker for me, and I have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Davao on business or even pleasure.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 575, which was a clean enough room, though for anyone looking a view of the pool I...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
manila
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here for a 3D/2N business trip at a deluxe room. The room is spacious enough, with queen size bed, mini bar. The bathroom is clean with the standard toiletries. My only complaint is that the hallways is a bit dark and seems a bit creepy especially if you're walking through the corridors alone. It was raining during my stay and I tried to borrow a hotel umbrella, unfortunately they do not have a readily available umbrella for guests. I had to ask several times and complaint to the front desk before they lent me one. They said all their umbrellas are broken.

Breakfast is served buffet style and had a lot of choices: Filipino, American and Continental food items. They have a salad, omelette station, fruits platter, breads, cereals, and the usual Filipino breakfast fare and also the bacon, etc.

Room Tip: Book your room in the new wing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
West Allis, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is our second visit to Davao, staying at the APO View hotel. We reserved the same junior suite as our previous stay. The room was comfortable but in need of updating as the bathroom needed new tile and grout work done to it. Clean,very clean, but in need of remodeling.. We opted for the breaskfast buffet inclusive of our rate. Now this made our trip. Delicious, delicious, delicious. Best omelet in Davao made to order. There is a wide varity of food to choose from. Soups and salads are also available for the breakfast meal.
The Blue Room next door to the lobby offers live music at night. Close to People's Park. A nice place to take pictures.

Room Tip: If you need a place to sleep as you will be outside the hotel most of the time, this is the place to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Porter Ranch
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Recently visited the Philippines for the summer with my family, and Davao as usual, was part of our destination. I trace my roots in Davao, having studied and worked in the city until migrating with my family to the USA in the late '90s.
The hotel's character and ambiance has not been changed by the passing of the years. The feeling of warmth and hospitality that pervades the atmosphere is palpable wherever you go. The staff members, from the front desk personnel, to the outlet servers, to the housekeeping staff always render excellent service.
The hotel cuisine is exceptional, giving one a taste of continental and regional dishes in their daily buffet. Meeting old friends for drinks at their Blue Room has provided another memorable trip down memory lane!.
Apo View Hotel: We will see you again next year!!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool from the 6th Floor and up are the best ones.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Location: 4/5
The hotel is located right smack in the center of the downton Davao. It is right next to People's Park, the Pasalubong Center, a 2-minute walk to a nearby Gaisano Mall and 10 minutes to San Pedro Church and City Hall. Lots of banks and cheap eating places nearby.

Check-in: 3/5
This can take a while, as there can be a lot of people checking in. This is a busy hotel, a favorite of conventioneers and wedding entourages. Staff is friendly although a bit dry. For a big hotel, the counter is quite cramped.

Room: 3/5
I've stayed here several times, and have tried different rooms. The superior is comfortable enough, with large beds and firm pillows, adequate closet space. TV is a rather old CRT screen. So far, I've never had an Apo view from the windows of the rooms I've stayed in. Wifi is available, but very very weak, and is utterly useless. There's not a lot of sockets that you can use for your gadgets. Had to charge my phone from the bathroom!

Bathroom: 3/5
Bathroom is clean, but looks rather dated. They have a bathtub, but the tiles around it have some mold action going on.

Breakfast: 5/5
They have one of the most extensive breakfast buffet line-ups among all hotels in Davao. Definitely filling, and the variety will keep you looking forward to breakfast even if you stay for more than 2 days.

Facilities: 2/5
I've tried the convention hall and conference rooms for a huge event we've organized. This is where my greatest gripe is. The events staff are not well-coordinated, and tend to forget a lots of things that they are supposed to do. Serving food promptly to participants was a big problem, and they tend to sneak in a lot of extra charges. Overall, a bad experience for us. Swimming pool is old, with lots of missing tiles. The pool area is bare, with almost no lounge chairs. Not enticing. It is in the facilities where you can really feel the age of the hotel.

Overall: 3/5
This place needs a lot of updating. It's an aging matriarch of the Davao city hospitality industry. There's an old world 70's feel when you're inside, which can be comforting. But if you expect the modcons of a 21st Century hotel, it's lacking here. Convenient location, and close to restaurants and areas of interest. They have to really, really work on their convention facilities and logistics.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We check-in 11pm and was lucky its on a weekend promo (php1100/pax). Booked the deluxe room with overlooking view. Its big, comfortable and nice bed complete with toiletries. I like the buffet breakfast :-) its worth to check-in here if there's promo otherwise its directly php3100 for the room with complimentary breakfast for 2. Swimming pool is ok.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boracay, Philippines
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I spent my last two days in Davao at Apo View and, as they say, 'saved the best to last'.

I'd checked out of my budget hotel, leaving my bags in their storage room, and took a trip to Samal Island for the day, returning to collect my bags and make my way to Apo View. I felt distinctly under-dressed in my shorts and vest top, but was greeted and treated in the same manner afforded to guests arriving in more suitable attire, more fitting for such a grand dame as Apo View.

Apo View is the oldest hotel in Davao, and the 2nd oldest hotel in the whole of the Philippines; it retains its classical style and features, whilst integrating the modern amenities that guests today require.

I was booked in to a Deluxe Twin on the 4th floor, with views over the swimming pool on the 3rd floor. The room decor is that of crisp white linens, lovely pillows and wonderfully thick and fluffy towels (which can be purchased ... along with anything in the room, including the TV remote control), wood laminate floors, and dark wood furniture. The air-con was a dream to work and enabled a comfortable sleep which was not interrupted by being too hot or too cold.

A refrigerator in the room is stocked with a range of soft drinks and water, but the hotel is also just a five minute walk from a local mall, with a supermarket. There are cups and saucers, glasses and a kettle, so you can make yourself a coffee on waking.

There is a cafe, a restaurant, room service and a lovely courtyard garden, with a small area for smokers (if you have a serious addiction to nicotine you are going to find your trip to Davao difficult, as the anti-smoking laws are strict and there are limited smoking areas assigned to malls, hotels etc)

Apo View has class and elegance and was a joy to stay at.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business