“Good location”

The Royal Mandaya Hotel
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed for 2 nighths in late december 2013. First impression was wery good. All the staff was nice and food in the resturant was good both for breakfast and lunch.i had a big upgradet room in 7 and this rom had a sea viue, good bed, nice bathroom and good wifi. But it also had a lot small "bugs" crawling around ouer door, and also into bathroom. Old carrprnt on the floor, look dirty to me. We also had to listen to some musik from outside until around midnight.this drag down my impression of this in all otherway nice hotel.

Room Tip: I dont now if its more quiet on other roooms, but our room was in the end of hallway close to firest...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank torkjell_11

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here during Christmas and had the best experience. I met the hotel K-9 force and hung out with the trainers for a bit. The rooms were perfect offering a wonderful sleep quality. The breakfast was wonderful, great wifi service, and friendly people! On one occasion the greeters helped me get my cell phone back that I left in a taxi and they took wonderful care off me for that matter I felt I was in great hands for a foreigner. The restaurant and bar was wonderful and very inquisitive making me feel welcome. Everyone was very friendly and helpful that I would only stay here in Davao! Best service, superb location, very clean, great sleep quality, and everything was superb!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Knighttravelmd
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at The Royal Mandaya Hotel August 17-24. I arrived as the Kadayawan festival was winding down however I was there for some of the festivities including the parade. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was comfortable, clean and well-maintained. I slept well every night; noise was not a factor but people should understand that this is an urban setting and there will be some street noise...and even an occassional rooster crowing in the morning. For me, one of the best things about this hotel is its location. There are so many places within walking distance. For food, there's a Panangs just around the corner, Taps serves a great breakfast and I ate there several times, there's a great coffee shop called Chicco di Caffe also within walking distance. Candidly, you don't need to go anywhere but the hotel to eat...the food served in the hotel is amazing. People's Park is also close to the hotel and is a great place for a morning run. I finished every day with a massage at Thai Boran before walking back to the hotel to climb into bed. The hotel will assist with arrangements for travel and other excursions. If you're feeling more adventurous, like me, ask the staff how to ride the jeepneys; I found this to be the best way to get around the city in the most economical way. I recommend this hotel and I will consider it when I return to Davao.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AidenSpencer
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Hotel pick-up: 5/5
Arrived at the airport, and saw the chauffeur holding up a sign with my name. Quick and friendly, and the van was well-maintained. Great that I was the only passenger. Best of all, they offer this service for only P100 per person per way. Definitely cheaper than hailing a cab, and more comfortable!

Location: 4/5
The hotel is located in the busy downtown area, near the City Hall. Good location if you're doing business there. It's also a short walk to People's Park, the Pasalubong Center, a nearby Gaisano Mall and San Pedro Church. You need to take a cab if you want to go to the larger malls like Abreeza, SM City and SM Lanang. Lots of banks and cheap eating places nearby. A quick 5-7 minute walk south brings you to Claude's Place restaurant and an equally quaint and cozy branch of Cafe France across from it.

Check-in: 4/5
It was quick and easy. They were able to find my reservation in a minute. Front desk staff were friendly, especially the very ebullient manager, eager to give a smile and a snappy greeting. They seemed to have remodeled the lobby to a more modern look.

Room: 4/5
My room was on the 5th floor. It was a deluxe single, rather spacious, but that was because the king-sized bed was placed on one side, nearer the window. It had a huge LED TV. Loved the desk that had adequate real estate space for my laptop and papers. Bed was huge, with large, fluffy but firm pillows. Made for a comfortable night's rest. There was also an electric water heater, teacups and sachets of coffee and tea. I also appreciated the fact that there were electrical sockets everywhere, including by the bed. Very convenient if you have lots of gadgets that need to be recharged! There is also free and fast wi-fi Internet! The only downsides - one was that the refrigerator was locked inside the cabinet, and the front desk as asking for a P1000 deposit if you want it opened. Duh. Another was that the dressers had no doors.

Breakfast: 4/5
There's a rather varied choice in the buffet. There was a congee (rice porridge) and noodle station, another for eggs, fruits, salads, various breads and spreads and heavier fare such as fried rice, and meats. Bacon was a bit overcooked for my taste, but the spread was an invitation to linger over breakfast, especially if you don't have a meeting to go to. Coffee was also good.

Elevators: 3/5
There were 2 elevators for the guests. Looked old, with shattered panes of glass panels on the walls. One elevator made creaky, unnerving noises when it was going up. They should do something about this, lest this freaks out passengers like me.

Overall: 4/5
This hotel has all the right basics for a quick business trip. Free, fast wifi and lots of sockets in the room. Large working table. Comfortable bed. Filling and satisfying breakfast. Excellent airport service, which is also quite cheap. It's not the cheapest hotel in the area, but it has a great value proposition for those doing business in Davao.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed on the last week of August 2013 for 2 nights. During this time, RM has a promo rate at P 2,500. / night with buffet breakfast. Hot water is provided for coffee or tea in the room.
Buffet breakfast is just ok, mostly local food is prepared. The pomelo is a favorite, as this is one of the best fruits of Davao City. Very few selection of food in the grill restaurant at the third floor, probably bec. that was weekday The faucet in the bathroom was very noisy when open. whether in the sink, while filling the tub with water or taking shower. The noise in the room next to us is even stronger and made us not sleep very well as the guest in the other room use the bathroom until very late at night. When we informed the hotel, the staff just said thats an old installation system that needs repair. We requested to be transferred so that we can not also disturbed the guests in the other room when we open our faucet but they did not transfer us even though we told them that we already ready our bags before we left for city tour. 7th floor room gives the guests a little view of the city. The location of RM is good as it is just 10-15 mins walk to the souvenir shop in the city, other hotels, malls, other restaurants and transportation. If you are very particular in the quality of your sleep, check the faucet first or your room before you unpack your bag.

Room Tip: although rooms on the 7th flr. have city view, the faucet is very noisy, If the adjacent rooms are b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Not a cheap hotel but offers real value for money when on sale.
Amazing buffet breakfast which is included in the room price. Rooms are well maintained. Friendly staff. Located in downtown Davao.

Parola Bar is nice though orders can sometimes take a while.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

It has a good location. The hotel staff were very helpful. I had a chance to stay in to rooms- standard room at the 4th floor and delux room at the 7th floor.The standard room had a slight unpleasant smell, I hope they will address this. I like the deluxe room much better. It looked clean and is more "updated". I like the long desk very much it gives me enough working space. The showers were modern with good heating system.i like bathtubs in general. Toiletries were provided in both rooms. My rating will focus on the delux room so I can focus on the positive.

Stayed: August 2013