“Clean, safe, cold Air Con, NO drinkable water in room”
Review of Red Planet Davao

Red Planet Davao
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Rotterdam
“Clean, safe, cold Air Con, NO drinkable water in room”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed at Tune Hotels in Asia before, so knew what to expect, small room with all the basic essentials; free WiFi, cold Air Con, clean shower. Rooms are small but how much space do you need to sleep. Girlfriend felt claustrophobic, just enough space to walk around bed and nothing more. Mirror in room and window view. Comfy bed, cold AC, fast fan if you prefer no AC. no closets, no chairs. Hallway could get noisy at times with people running or talking loud. Noise heard from room.

I did not like the fact that the Sink had a sign that said the "Water is not potable" What not drinkable water especially in Davao where the boast the cleanest drinkable tap water. This was a let down and had to go buy water at local store. Location is great, close to SM mall, and nearby food. A Robinsons Supermarket is 2min walk next door.

I did experience several brown outs (no electric) in Davao at Hotel. I was on 7th floor and elevator was out, so be prepared to climb up stairs to your room. All in all I would probably return if the price stays low. Please offer free bottle water or filtered water in lobby for patrons.

Price was average for the city, 1300pesos. Stayed for total of four nights while in Davao, two separate reservations. Cheers

Room Tip: Ask for Low floor if your lazy and don't want to climb stairs during the brown and blackouts (no...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thedukkha
Daffodil M, General Manager at Red Planet Davao, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear thedukkha,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking sometime to write your review about our hotel. Your feedback is important to us.

Our hotel room size is 14 sqm to be exact and space has been fully maximized. We are sorry you felt bad about the water signage in our sink. This signage is actually a standard signage in all Tune Hotels thus we mean not to downgrade Davao's clean drinkable tap water. We do offer bottled water and other guest item needs at the Front Desk.

On the brown outs, this was the time that all of Davao experienced it. We are so sorry you had to use to the stairs since using the elevator during brownout is prohibited for safety and security reasons.

We do hope to see you again during your next visit to Davao!

Daffodil Martinez-Bahani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a recently new Tune Hotel in Davao City. It is located a 5 minutes taxi ride from the SM City Mall. The Hotel is very cheap rates and provides the good Tune model of comfortable yet small rooms with nice air conditioning, clean bedding, good wifi, hot showers and secure environment. This Tune also has a small restaurant attached outside the front of the hotel. Its cheap food and quiet easy to eat. A good variety of western food and local cuisine is served. The Security was good here. The only issue is the hotel should have a free shuttle to the malls. Overall B+

Room Tip: A high rooms gives best views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dabster36
Daffodil M, General Manager at Red Planet Davao, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mr. Dabster36,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. Your feedback is important to us.

As our hotel is located in the central area of Davao, all places our guests wishes to go are accessible via public transportation or taxi. We also offer a car service for a fee.

We do hope to see you again on your next visit to Davao.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 May 2014

An opening note: This review is quite similar to the one I posted for the Tune Hotel in Cebu. Overall, this hotel is not as well located as the one in Cebu, but the elevator was better. Other than that, because of the “corporate” aspect of the place, I could not discern a difference between this Tune Hotel and the one in Cebu. A Big Mac in Los Angeles tastes the same as a Big Mac in New York City, if you will.

I found an incredible promo of ~450 P, so I booked four days here. I have to say that this stay is the most incredible value in a hotel stay I have had in my life. I suppose the hotel is trying to get the word out for the “Tune” brand with the promo. I don’t think there will be many promotions as good as 450 P a day in the future. Normally price is ~1300 P. That price is still good though. This place has all the basics: A/C, cable TV, WiFi (fast!), hot water, and even a bum gun in the toilet.

From a business perspective, this hotel has things figured out down to a science.

- The housekeeping staff knows when you are in the room and when you’re not in the room, so they make it up when you’re out. No intrusive “housekeeping” knocks at the door when you’re trying to sleep in late.

- The checkout time is 1100 sharp. If you like a late checkout, the cost is 300 P, which is a strong enough incentive to get out on time.

- Check-in time is 1400, but if you want to check in as early as 1100, the cost is 300 P, a strong enough incentive to wait until 1400.

- The glass door to the bathroom somewhat doubles as a shower door when turned inward in the bathroom.

- There’s no furniture in the room, which may seem as a drawback, but if there were chairs and tables, then room would cost more, wouldn’t it? There is a “desk” in the room which is a Murphy-bed style flip-down platform that is close enough to the edge of the bed so that you could sit on the bed, put your laptop down, and use that as a desk.

The rooms are unbelievably immaculate, with a uniform white/beige wood theme throughout. Mirrors cover the same wall with the headboard, and there are port-window-style lights on the nightstand. There is a safe under one of the nightstands.

The only negatives I have: There is really no place for your bags and clothes when you arrive; a shelf on the wall (a cheap addition that would go a long way). And…the hotel is run in a very efficient manner, which is desirable, but there is a negative in there too: if I had checked out at 1115 instead of 1100, I’d expect their boot camp style of policy enforcement to kick in and be charged the 300 P fee. Don’t expect to be cut any slack on the rules! Finally, the place is not at all homey like a bed and breakfast or a charming independently-run hotel. Very corporate.
For sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floors offer a better view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank paulino636
Dear Mr. Paulino636,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

I understand the rate you were able to avail during your last stay was from online and yes it really was an incredible rate. We still offer competitive rates now. We also offer to provide excellent service to our guests.

Our hotel room is only 14 sqm to be exact and all space has been maximized. About the check out procedure, we humbly apologize as this is our standard operating procedures practiced in all Tune Hotels.

We do hope to see you again during your next visit to Davao!

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A very clean, basic hotel with contemporary decor, a short distance away from SM Lanang (P50 cab ride) where the convention center is. If you're on a budget, it's a good choice but not if you want some space or if you have some luggage with you. The room we were given was very, very small and there is only enough space to walk around the bed and none for the luggage. When I checked the plan posted on the back of the door, seems the room was one of the smaller ones so maybe if you request a bigger room, you will have some space for your luggage.

There are no closets, no chair and just a mini drop down desk, two side tables and the bed. The bed, pillow and sheets were clean and comfortable so I had a very nice sleep. There is also a hair dryer and a mini safe. There is no phone so if you need anything from housekeeping, you will need to go to the front desk on the second floor to make a request.

I found the staff to be very helpful, offering to carry bags, call a taxi or get the elevator for me.

One more thing, they have electronic doorknobs that would give some people some problems in opening since they require some force to open.

There is a cafe downstairs where you can have breakfast for P150. Early in the morning it is very full and it is hard to get a seat. The servings of the Filipino breakfast are somewhat small.

All in all, I liked how clean this hotel was and if you are willing to live with a small room I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Request one of the bigger rooms. Since the rooms are small, even just a little bit more space would...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Daffodil M, General Manager at Red Planet Davao, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Miss Peggyapl,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review about our hotel. The size of our room is 14 sqm to be exact and all spaces has been maximized. We do have limited number of family rooms which is a little bit bigger than the one you stayed in.

Our door lock system is also unique for security reasons and in as much we make it part of our standard operating procedure upon check in to inform our guests about it.

The cafe downstairs is a concessionaire by which we will also inform them for reviews like this.

We thank you for noticing our services as we strive to meet our guest's expectations daily.

We do look forward of seeing you again during your next visit to Davao.

Pasig, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've been staying at a Tune Hotel (especially in Cagayan de Oro) after discovering it's proximity to hotels that I usually have a seminar or meeting in. The Davao Tune Hotel at JP Laurel is near SM Lanang Premier and even the airport. The rooms as usual are clean and business like. the queen size bed is great, sheets, mattress and comforter, as well as pillows look and feel clean. There's just not much room to walk comfortably around the bed. And do not even think of working inside the room. The drop down table barely has place for a medium size laptop, no room for papers to check what you are typing. No chair, table, except for two hard plastic side tables by the headrest. TV is installed on top of foot of bed. But the shower room is spacious, and clean. The door serves as the door to both the shower stall and the bathroom so the water tends to splash to the area where the basis is. Toiletry (at least in this location) was not replaced daily.
I had a 3-day stay the first time and was given two card keys. When I extended it, I gave the two keycards to the staff. On the 2nd checkout, I was told that I need to pay P150 for another card key. No matter how I protested, the staff was too businesslike to care She was adamant that I pay the P150 which I did under protest. Training to deal with situations such as this is crucial to maintain and retain customers.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is free but the 24 hour access is limited to two gadgets and the internet access is divided be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Visacounselor
Dear Mr. Visacounselor,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. Our hotel room is exactly 14 sqm only including the bathroom in which all the spaces are maximized.

We humbly apologize for the incident during your last stay with us. My team and I have gone thru several training to improve our procedures and services.

We do hope to see you again on your next visit to Davao.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The staff was very helpful and service oriented. Having dropped my cell phone in a cab one evening, the security staff was extremely helpful the next day in zooming in on the cab that dropped us off, contacting the cab company and having the passenger that took the phone tracked down. By the time we arrived back to the hotel two hours later, my cell phone had been delivered to the front desk. I was very impressed with their willingness to help and the efficiency in which they were able to track it down. Our overall experience at the hotel was favorable and I highly recommend staying at this hotel for location, cleanliness and service.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small, not good when having to share with twin beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Miss Sheena S,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, your comments are very much appreciated.

We are very happy to have helped you during your last stay with us. Meeting your service satisfaction is the reason why we are here.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Davao.

Daff
Medina, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is just minutes away from Abreeza Mall and even closer to SM Lanang. The rate is good for budget traveller like us. Everything is clean and nice but the room's are a bit small. The only thing I didn't like is the noise. You can hear the footsteps of other guests passing by.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam Dadah G,

Warm greetings from Tune Hotels Davao!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel, your feedbacks are important to us. The noise coming from the hallway due to the footsteps of other guests passing by is duly noted. We will look for ways to address the issue.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Davao.