“great staff...”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
pampanga, philippines
“great staff...”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Grand Men Seng is located in the inner older part of the city. We had a seminar there. It was not our choice but was included in the package. Although the hotel is a little old compared to the standards of the contemporary hotels, I have to admit that the staff compensates it all. all courteous & ready to help, from the security guards, concierge, housekeeping to front desk.

The breakfast was ok, but if I may suggest the selection must be for breakfast.. who serves mechado & fried chicken for breakfast? unless it's left-over from the dinner the night before. I would have wished there were danggits since it's coming from a rich source of seafood.

The room & elevator smelled musty, The hotel should work on this smell. It brings down points on cleanliness, though the room looks clean.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ruby_eli_cha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I stayed here in 2008 and it was really excellent value. It had all the trimmings of a luxury hotel for only around $50 per night. The room was comfortable, with a bath, and the rooftop pool was small but nice, and we especially loved the evening poolside "ihaw ihaw," or barbecue. The only thing I would mention is try to request a room that is not on the street side as you will get a lot of street noise. Next time I would try and stay on the back side of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ccduckie
Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I visited Davao City with my Mom,sister, and sister-in- law for 4 days. We were booked by the travel agent at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was spacious and clean. The service at the reception was polite and helpful.
Being in one of the rooms at the very end of the corridor I decided to check out the fire exits.I was shocked to find the fire exit door locked and the only window padlocked.
I immediately contacted reception and asked them to unlock the fire exits and threatened them that I will go to Fire department of their city and let them know that the hotel is in breach of a very important law that safeguards the lives of guests like me.
They sent somebody from housekeeping to me to show me how to unlock the fire exit door from the outside by putting my hand through a hole in the door. It was rediculous as who would think of doing that in the case of a fire?
To complicate things even more, I was dismayed to find the landing of the fire exit stairs stacked with 14 double mattresses. I have taken pictures of the stairs and can prove how negligent they been.
The mattresses were gone the next day after I've warned the housekeeping staff of what danger they pose in case of fire. I'm not sure though whether they were removed until I checked out only to be returned when I'm gone.
When checking into a Phil. hotel always check that they comply with fire exit regulations as we know now that this one doesn't.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Marichu M
upstate new york
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I recently stayed at GMS for three weeks in two different rooms. I only switched rooms to get a view of the street. Both rooms were big and VERY clean. Everything worked. The staff in all areas was friendly and helpful. If I had a negative, I would enter it here, but I can't think of even one.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DIKDEKR
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 7 December 2008

At first glance of the hotel, I was disappointed because it was located in one of the busiest roads in Davao and I was expecting it to be noisy in our room. But, this didn't happen, it was even quite the contrary. I was able to sleep peacefully.

The rooms were quite spacious. My friends and I booked a three-bed room and requested for an extra bed and there was still room for us to roam around. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the a/c was working perfectly but it was quite noisy. The bathroom was also big. There's a tub and the heater is working perfectly but the water flow is not that strong. The room has cable TV and a refrigerator, all in perfect condition. Overall, their facilities was okay.

We were also able to avail of their promo that includes a free buffet breakfast. The food was okay, nothing special about it, just the usual breakfast. However, there was variety. In my entire stay, they served different dishes. They also always serve watermelon and pineapple, which were sweet. But what always gets to my nerves every morning there was the very slow service. I once asked for coffee and I have to follow it up for them to serve it. It really tested my patience.

However, this hotel's location is very convenient. Just in front is an eat-all-you-can restaurant that's only worth PhP99. The food is okay, just comparable to what you pay. There is also a 24-hour convenience store nearby and public transportation is also easy to find. It was hassle-free.

I recommend this hotel to those traveling groups. For my stay for 3 days/ 4 nights, I only paid around PhP2000 but I shared the room with three of my friends. It can really be quite affordable.

• Liked — cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — no view from the room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jov0708