“Great place down south”
Review of Davao City

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Monroe, North Carolina
85 helpful votes
“Great place down south”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Davao is a great place to visit. It has a whole bunch of different hotels one can stay at and a great selection of restaurants Must try dinner at Jack's Ridge). You have beaches and mountain climbing along with island hopping. You also have lots of malls to shop at.

And the best part of all, it is a lot cheaper then places like Manila or Cebu.

Great place for families.

1 Thank Dustin C
Sarasota, Florida
16 helpful votes
“Davao City at it's best.”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Hi Everyone, Here in Davao since Jan16th,2010. Actually decided to stay out on Semal Island a short boat trip by ferry or if you stay at some of the beach resorts there they usally will pick you up in there private boat. My pick after taking day tours out here on the island was Chemas Beach resort. Beautifully built PanAsian cottages by the water all brick and hardwood. Superior service and food with your own attendant assigned to each cottage. Clean and very nice ammenities. It also has a wonderful beach with white sand and crystal clear blue water. Davao is 5 minutes away. In town you can enjoy inexpensive food like Filet Mignon or a wide variety of fresh fish. Davao is the tuna capital of the world. After visiting around town my favorite eating spots were Marina Tuna, Waterfron Insular breakfast buffet, Coco's to name a few. Taxi's are cheap to get around unless you can stand the heat then it's jeepney's or tricyles. The people are the best here. Always smiling and great hospitality wherever you go. The stores and malls are always busy and have amazing amount of help to serve your needs. Haircuts, massage's, facials are all very cheap by US & Euro standards.

3 Thank SarasotaB
Hasselt, Belgium
48 helpful votes
“Garry's Grill - Victoria Mall”
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Last visited July 2009

Great grilled squid ! Great Staff !

Whilst this is a Franchised Restaurant, the staff there makes all the difference. They are very efficient, without being bothersome and are some of the friendliest people I have ever met.

The food is consistently good, well above average and you have to try the Grilled Squid !

2 Thank ikke5473
London, United Kingdom
10 helpful votes
“Best Places.”
Reviewed 27 March 2009

For the Philippines, Davao City has good choices.
If you can afford it Pearl Farm resort has excellent scenery and wonderful resort, just off coast of Davao City.
If you want just a few nights in city then Marco Polo hotel is near bars and very good restaurant Fileas Fogg, very good British/ European food.
Take to the bars and restaurants in mountain overlooking Davao city, you can get good views and food there.
Also smoking is banned in public places here, like most of Europe.

1 Thank Jeff_PLondon
Alameda, CA
7 helpful votes
“Davao, A diverse, quiet little city of 1 million”
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I was met at the airport. I had a guide for my tourist looks at the city of Davao, Panabo, and Tagum. the first week I took taxis and 'all day' vans to get around and to get some things 'started'.

The second week was much more relaxed. I rode buses, jeepneys, and tricycles more. Yes, my knees and head was banged up a bit, but was fun. I am 5'11" tall about 250 pounds. jeepneys have very low ceiling heights. most of the time, my head touches the roof when I am sitting. I end up 'stooped' over. I also did a lot more walking around than I normally do ( a good thing).

The buses have very small spaces between the seats, so my knees and legs end up cramped and 'sideways' to fit.

but the prices are good. To ride the bus from Panacan to Panabo was 24 pesos. A taxi is more like 250 pesos. Each ride into Davao went through a number of security checkpoints. about one in three rides into Davao resulted in all male passengers being asked to exit the bus while the bus is searched. the whole process is less than 5 minutes (bus stops, we are told to get out, get out, stand while the bus is searched, get back in, bus goes on).

I stayed at the Red Knight Gardens apartment/ hotel in Lanang part of Davao. It was a convenient location for the places I wanted to visit. Their prices are very reasonable.

I found the Victoria Mall and Gaisano Mall both interesting places. I also visited some furthur south (for me the wrong direction) and they look more like the 'usual' United States shopping mall (a bit boring).

I also looked at some housing options. There is a strong push from sales persons to buy into the 'international' neighborhoods / housing developments. In my 'opinion' I consider such places self imposed segregation, which I consider not a good idea. << this last may cause
some discussions.

I also found the prices higher than necessary. the combination land prices and the 'expected' size of house to be built meant I
considered these developments 'pricy'. Not pricy for american
neighborhoods, but pricy for filipino communities.

ok, to wrap up this long email:
1) Davao is a very safe place:
In the U S, when you are in a shopping mall, on the street etc, you don't let any packages out of your grasp. In Davao, I saw many occasions of packages sitting with no 'obvious' owner nearby.

This is a level of honesty I have not 'seen' in many years.

2) Davao is a very friendly place:
I know a few words of Tagalog (perhaps 1000 words), and each time I spit out one of them, I got great responses and help from all persons I met.

All persons were friendly, willing and able to smile, make jokes etc, even while doing 'serious' things (like banking).

3) Davao has a lot of traffic:
there are over a million persons in the Davao area, and not a single freeway. numerous and very convenient buses, jeepneys, tricycles, cars, trucks, etc means a lot of noisy and smoky traffic. Traffic moves very well considering the high volume of vehicles. There is also a lot of road construction.

7 Thank FilFan900

Been to Davao City? Share your experiences!