“cheap but chearful” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“cheap but chearful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

excellent chicken diner across road from it..nothing good to say about hotel as i was robbed there on last day of stay..rooms were cheap and tawdry but as i wasn,t paying so i couldn,t complain...only needed the bed which i found to be hard. japanese tourists picking up young girls to bring back with them......that type of hotel

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stew50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

Stayed in the so called "Presidential Suite". They should be ashamed to let anyone stay there let alone a president. The bed actually had a odor coming from it. I had to look under the bed to be sure there wasn't a corpse under it! The lights would not work. The windows did not lock and would blow open everytime the wind blew. The air conditioner gave out after 3 hours and we were stuck with a floor fan. The food was over priced, cold and not very tasty. Towels were thin and old. Be sure to shake them out first, this is where the roaches spend their nights! had to get up either early or wait till late at night to get a hot shower. Any other time and it feels like luke warm spit. The roaches like to hang out on the shower curtains too. Keep and eye on your receipts too. They tend to forget to mark your charges as paid when you pay in cash. There is wireless internet, however it is not in the rooms and it is not consistent. When there is a problem, the staff has no idea how to repair it. They tell you to just wait 10 minutes. After 1 hour I finally reset the modem myself. The place needs a major overhaul. It is ready for good furniture, better beds, electronics that work and a staff that cares. The noise won't go away, but double pane windows would make a hell of a difference. Don't waste your money here unless you are one step away from being homeless.

• Liked — Location, Availability of Taxi service
  • Disliked — Indifferent Staff, Pooly maintained staff, attempts to
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank Mooders

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

The manager was unprofessional dont know how to manage problem and talk to there customer.

No hot shower when we stayed there in presidential suite but they dont have a quick solution of the problem and we decided to transfer coz it takes how many days already and yet still there is no hot shower and still they let us pay.

The rooms has lots of stain.Need improvement and changes.

They should change their manager someone who is nice and professional and clever.

I will never recommend this hotel.

From Australia

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cannot solve the problem right away/unprofessional
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank auscharm
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2008

This hotel is recommended in the Rough Guide to the Philippines as "clean and modern" with all the "mod cons" and in a good area of Cebu, close to nice restaurants.

Let's begin with modern. If the person who wrote the Rough Guide believes anything in this hotel to have been produced after 1978 then one has to wonder where he's been spending his time. If you want to get a flavour of what the Dharma institute fittings on the Lost island are like, this is a great way to experience them.

Then let's talk about clean. The first room we were in smelled of urine. The second was approved of by the local cockroaches more than us.

The worst part is that the hotel has no soundproofing to speak of, so you basically are sleeping in a busy main road, with endless horns blowing and jeepeys roaring. All night.

It is, in fact, cheap. And the water is wet. And the sheets were clean. And that's about all the positive things to be said. It's a great choice if budget is your only consideration. Otherwise avoid like the plague.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Burningpaper
DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

I was lulled by several favorable reviews about this place and convinced my husband to stay there. The hotel has low rates, but with them, you really get what you pay for. First off, our tub or sink was leaking water (we never figured out which). After our showers and that first night, the room's bathroom floor was already flooded with water. No wonder they had rugs (the kind that you buy from streetkids) strategically placed on the bathroom floor and this weird plastic mat. The germophobe in me was ready to shriek! We complained and they transferred us to another room. We had the ambassador before (as far as I know from its web site, it's only difference with the executive is its carpeted floor) and we got transferred to a room with no carpet. I thought surely we would get a cheaper rate but NO, when we paid at the end of our stay, they billed us for the ambassador rate. The front desk woman said that the rates are determined by room size. HUH? I argued that the site specifically mentioned a carpeted floor and if something is advertised that way, then that is what clients would expect. Plus, I wanted to add that only the standard, de luxe, and superior rooms had sizes listed in the site and they're all the same size. But I was too tired to argue anymore and the rate is cheap, so I just let it go. But we will never stay in that hotel anymore. And I will never recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — It's proximity to family, food establishments, and the malls.
  • Disliked — The room problems
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Bookworm76
cebu city, philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

My friends were coming over the weekend for some R&R - and just needed a cheap, clean, place to sleep and leave their luggages. Some pensionne inns in the area were recommended, but I picked this hotel since the rooms were cheap and in a very good location (near IT Park, Waterfront, Ayala Malls, SM Malls, and local restos). I expected the rooms to look like usual traveller inn rooms (considering the same price range) but it was somewhat different.

They had spring beds and tightly tucked white sheet - you don't get that kind of bed in pensionne houses. We got an Executive Room for Php 1400/night. The room was a bit crampy though, there wasn't enough space but it was clean, the shower and the drainage were working well, it didn't smell like smoke (i panicked when I read the previous review and even had a room spray ready with me just in case!) I even adjusted the AC temp with no problem. They had Linksys outside the rooms but no internet connection.

Well the room was okay - they didn't want to stay indoors anyway, check in time was 12nn, they coudn't guarantee an early check-in since they were full for the weekend. My friends arrived at 11am and were famished, but Northwinds was beside a Filipino restaurant Golden Cowrie, so we just left our luggages and had lunch. It was also easy to get to SM City Malls, and Ayala (both were just 15min away) and we were surrounded with restaurants, a couple of Filipino restos (Chikaan and Golden Cowrie) , La Tegola (a great Italian restaurant) and a Japanese resto (Sen Ryu).

The rooms were not to die-for, but it was really cheap - so accessible you can freshen up before you grab lunch or dinner. Who wants to stay in a hotel room anyway?

• Liked — Accessibility to Restaurants and Establishements, Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Rooms were small
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank mycherrycoke
Davao/manila
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

viewing from their website,I thought, this hotel is more practical than staying in the Cebu Marco Polo Hotel where 14 of my relatives were staying. I thought I could save half the amount per day, anyway, my kids and I can just go up to Marco Polo to be with everybody else by taxi,then back to Northwinds when we are about to sleep. So, almost a month before our arrival, I called up Northwinds to reserve the presidential suite which only cost P1900 I think. I thought I was very smart to think of this rather than get 2 rooms in Marco Polo. Well, when we checked in around 3:30pm, I was surprised that the ladies in the front dest had to let us wait...where?nowhere...after a plane ride,we were just told to stand there.There are no lounge or whatsoever.They said we had to wait for an hour. Naturally,I was pissed off because check in time is supposed to be 12:00noon and it was already 4:00pm. I insisted to go up anyway. I wanted to rest. Goodness, the room smelled of cigarette smoke. When I called up for the reservations, I made it clear that I dont want to smell cigarette smoke. Not only that. people were working on something on the next floor. There was terrible banging. They said it was going to stop by 5pm.We had to go down to the coffee shop tired and all. Come 6pm, we had no choice but to go up and get ready for a family dinner in a nearby restaurant.Before we left the hotel, i specifically told the people there that when we get back, the smell should be gone. But as I expected,it was still there.I asked for room transfer, no room available. It was alost midnight,tired, we all took anhistamines and hoped to sleep the smell off...I woke up 3 am, the airconditioner added to the discomfort.I was not only sleepy and tired,I was soaking with sweat.
The next day,they told us that the ambassador room will be available. Again,I told them that the slightest smell of smoke,we're out. Also the airconditioner must be in good condition and they should turn it on on a specified time so when we get there we will be comfortable. It was nice they volunteered to move our things with nothing missing. But when we got home around 11pm, the airconditoner was not turned on,we cannot turn it on,the utility man could not turn it on,so we waited for the maintenance man....i thought I would eat them all...grrr

Stayed August 2008