“Not very clean or friendly”

Kukuks Nest Garden Restaurant and Pension House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cebu City
Kukuks Nest Garden Restaurant and Pension House
Ranked #68 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Not very clean or friendly”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I don't know why this place was mentioned in the Lonely Planet, it's a dump... the bathroom and toilet were disgusting, the hot water didn't work if someone downstairs was using a tap, the staff weren't friendly, the rooms weren't clean, I saw a rat in my room at night... the only good point was that downstairs is a bar and cafe where a number of students hang out and talk on some nights, I wouldn't recommend staying here at all.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I spent one night at Kukuk's and as a budget place, I don't expect much. The LP guide totally overhypes the place...I won't say it's horrible, but overall it's a pretty dingy place. Unfortunately if you are in Cebu City you made a wrong turn somewhere in the first place....as I found it to be one of the least appealing cities I have ever visited in over 30 countries of travel. Thank God for the nearby mall...and you know a city is horrible when the mall is the highlight. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Crewe
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I were travelling around the Philippines and needed to spend the night in Cebu to do some shopping for dive equipment en-route to a conservation project. We stayed here on recommendation from the Lonely Planet guide. BIG MISTAKE!
We had a twin room. It was dirty, moquitos everywhere but no place to hang a net. The bathroom was disgusting, the shower was blocked and there was some methane smelling gas coming out of the drain. There were marks on our room's the door that looked like it had once been crowbarred open.
It was the only place I stayed in the entire Philippines where I felt unsafe.
Value for money was shocking. I needed to spend the night in cebu again on the way home and for just a few hundred pesos more we stayed in a lovely hotel that had tv, hot water, aircon and a nice restaurant. I would never, ever stay here again. The worst place I've stayed in my life.
Do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Pune
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was a bit pushed for time and trusted Lonely Planet on this one instead of reading reviews. Now I wish I had done! I'm actually here now, it's 5am and I can't sleep because I keep getting bitten by bed bugs. The sheets are covered in cigarette burns and stains. The shared bathrooms are absolutely disgusting.

Only positives, the staff were pretty friendly and the food in the restaurant was good. There's also free wifi.

I would not stay here again and advise others to avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Don't go near room 1
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BHolly88
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I found this place on my travel book. It was late when me and my gf arrived at this place. We were so tired from our long flight and we were expecting at least a decent room but it was a BIG disappointment. The restroom/bathroom is dirty and disgusting.The staff are not too friendly and can't hardly understand and speak English. Bad location. This place is sucks. I don't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Kiwi Lodge is better and it's just walking distance form Ayala mall and 5mins drive the other ma...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Lonely planet is wrong!!!
Room was big but really dark and dingy... It was like being in an attic with loads of random furniture in it and was really loud with the traffic from highway outside and the bar downstairs. The bar had good vibe... But everytime we got the bill they manage to "mistakenly" add in some extra items to increase the bill. This happened 3 times - very annoying. The place is also prettydirty. Use to slumming it in Asia but this was one of the worst places we stayed.

• Stayed September 2011
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A bit run down and disorganised. However, the ambiance of the café and resto is quite nice.

First off, we had made a reservation previously, which had been confirmed only 2 days before arrival, as we were arriving quite late. When we arrived, they had absolutely no record of our reservation and were fully booked. We decided to give it a second chance and checked in the next day.

The place has a lot of character and charm. However, the bathroom and shower were really not that clean or tended to. I've been to many run-down and old places and know the difference between a well-kept run-down place and a decent place that is just unkept. The bathroom and showers looked like they hadn't been cleaned in weeks.

The resto cafe is open 24 hours. We unfortunately had a large group of Filipinos were were loudly laughing and screaming all night long until about 7 or 8 am.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
#66 of 213 in Cebu Island
Islands Stay Hotels Uptown Cebu
Islands Stay Hotels Uptown Cebu
#197 of 327 in Cebu Island

Been to Kukuks Nest Garden Restaurant and Pension House? Share your experiences!