“Stay Away”

Ranked #43 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
parts unknow
“Stay Away”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I went to this hotel only for lunch, but was examining this place as a potential venue for our wedding reception. During the lunch and subsequent tour of the reception areas, I was convinced this wasn't the place to stay or have a reception, I would not recomend it for lunch or even a potty break if you're walking on the street.

First off on entering the hotel restraunt, we we the only ones there. That should have been a sign. Well, my wife got fish and I got some meat dish. My meal was tasteless, and my wife got food poisoning about 30 minutes after finishing the meal. The restroom at the back of the restraunt had roaches. Dead, but the restroom was adjacent the kitchen. God only knows.

A few other things that bugged me. I asked for a mix drink, and was told they didnt have the particular liquor. I then asked for another, and was told the same. So compromised on a glass of wine, which they have listed by the glass. I was told after the waiter went to the back that the wine could only be sold by the bottle. I finally decided to just eat thirsty. But becasue the food was so tasteless I didnt force myself to eat it so saving my thirst, however drinking that tasteless food down with a margarita or white wine would have been nice.

So we went on the tour of the reception, although by then i had already decided that we would have to cater out if allowed, nevertheless went on the tour since we had been driven by taxi there. And let me tell you, there was alot to be desifre here as well. Just seems like the entire hotel staff and managment is lazy and dont care for customer service nor pride of their business. The person giving the tour gave conflicting prices and occupancy compared to the front desk person, who then suggested we call back for another person to give specifics. By then I was only asking questions for entertainment to see how bad they really were.

The surrounding area of this hotel is horrible and dirty overcrowded. I saw a rat the size of a cat in the middle of the day, about 20 ft from the hotel. This place has no saving qualities. I am glad I decided not to stay here as I had originally planned.

This place doesnt deserve a star and should not even have a listing.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere from from here and surrounding location
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank imabadman30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Delicious food & Hotel staff is very accommodating , I enjoyed my stay,so I extend for another night...I was one of participants in a seminar & I was so happy that even the security guard on duty & waiter were willing to help me practice my dance number for my seminar's activity, that was great...and in the resto all the staff were friendly and cheerful...i'll be back next year...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Sophia117
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Front desk staff were friendly specially the guy and the lady who were there when we checked in. We arrived 5:30am coz of our early arrival from Hongkong. we booked the room as walked in guest and good thing they accomodated us to check in that early . Since we are only staying for one night and will heck out very early the next day (4am) I asked them if its possible to avail our breakfast (w/cis included in the rate) on the day of our arrival but unfortunately they cant allow it. It was quite disappointing since i explained to them that we cant have it the next day. They should have extended their service even on that simple request.anyhow, they provided us the packed breakfast as alternative. But sandwich ws quite dry and not tasty at all.
Anyway, Thanks for effecient service. Dont forget to smile front desk staff.its needed on ur job :)

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 8 November 2010

At first I was a little wary - they wanted a money transfer payment in full - and I needed to be provided with some numbers to do the transfer. After many emails they never responded. A day before the trip I called them - they told me I was not reserved for the days I planned, but they could still provide me with a room but one step up for what I requested. I was a little ticked off - and not being able to get airport transfer because we were arriving late.

Anyways- I printed out the confirmation which had the correct dates and showed them upon arrival. They were very friendly and accommodating and were able to provide me with the room I had originally requested.
We were only staying in Cebu for one night, catching the morning ferry.

We chose this hotel because of decent reviews and its closeness to the ferry port.

We were more than satisfy, the room filled our needs - a bed, a shower, shampoo/soap, towels and the breakfast was great. With such a cheap price I was expecting the free breakfast to be toast and a banana but we could order off the menu.

Great, would recommend this place to a friend.

I am not sure of how conveniently located it is to cebu attractions - but for a quick stop over - great

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tesias
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 October 2010

security guard and service employees always assist us when carrying luggages, with smiles, opens the car whenever we arrive, gets us taxi when needed.

<promo for members>
1 hr free wifi + free bfast for 3 days
free bfast --> yummy! have tried, bacon + egg, farm egg omelette + wheat bread + bread + honey, luncheon meat + egg, daing + egg, ham + egg.. + hot choco or coffee.

their cafe has clean restroom, cool ambiance, good choice of interiors

room is nice, clean restrooms.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank g0rgeous
Iloilo
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This hotel must be popular, although despite that only a few reviews have been made here, because all the taxis we took during the duration of our stay in Cebu had no trouble finding it. I had printed out a location map and noted the hotel address thinking otherwise. I was glad to be wrong. We just had to tell the driver the name of the hotel and they would not even ask where it is. They'd just go and drive. Sometimes I would have doubts so I'd say it was beside the University of San Carlos along Pelaez St. The area was not that nice though because all around were discos and girly bars. The area was busy almost 24-hours a day, with the school and the said establishments. It was probably the reason why we also had no trouble finding a taxi there. Ayala was about 55 pesos away while the airport was 30 minutes away and cost 150 pesos.

I made reservations over the phone because I could not find a facility online that offered the same rate as published on their website. I had no trouble talking with the staff who answered. Since the kind of room we wanted was not available on the date we needed, she suggested another kind of room and reserved it for us after asking for a contact number.

Checking in the day we arrived was a breeze. We paid using our credit card and encountered no difficulty dealing with the staff despite them being swamped by guests and a lady lawyer who did not seem to understand that she was imposing her presence upon the male staff who was talking to us while checking us in. In other words, she couldn't wait for her turn to be entertained. Despite that the staff remained patient and respectful.

Seeing our room, we thought it was fine although it was a warm afternoon and the aircon took some time to cool it because it was quite spacious.

The bed sheets were clean although the pillowcases were grayish. A nice quilted mattress protector gave extra comfort to the nice firm mattress that resulted in a comfortable sleep for us. The matrimonial bed was actually two smaller beds put side by side and covered by a sheet together.

As with any hotel, this place was not perfect. The number one turn off for me was that our room, or any of their other rooms as I found out, did not have cellular phone signal. Thus, I could not even use my broadband stick to connect to the internet the entire time I was there. That's probably the reason why one cannot charge a gadget when the TV was on. Only when the TV was turned off could the wall socket work. Maybe they thought that since cellphones could not be used within the hotel, then they didn't need to be charged.

When there was a blackout very early one morning, they turned on their generator just as I was getting uncomfortable with the heat but it was very noisy that we were awakened much earlier than we had planned.

As for the bathroom, it was clean but some tiles were cracked and they used black grit for the light colored tiles for the floor so it looked dirty. They also provided shampoo and soap which they replenished daily. The shower curtain was clean and new.

Another big turn off was that there was no hot water in the bathroom. On our first day I thought it was because many may have been using it at the same time. However, when I took a shower at a time when I think no one else would be using hot water, still no hot water came. There was no problem with the water supply and pressure though.

We had trouble turning on the television at first so we had to request for somebody to assist us. The staff arrived promptly to assist us. It took him quite a few minutes to tinker with it before it finally worked. He had to change the cable or something.

As regards the staff, they were ok. They were hospitable without being overbearing. And the guards up to the front desk staff and the housekeeping staff were all courteous and efficient.

All in all, it was an ok hotel, especially that they had reasonable rates. However, because there was no cellphone signal and no hot water, I may have to look for other places first before I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

#16 of 76 in Cebu City
La Gloria Residence Inn
La Gloria Residence Inn
#47 of 76 in Cebu City

Been to Golden Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!