“Average Service”

Ranked #52 of 76 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Calamba, Philippines
“Average Service”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Last March 29-31, I, together with eight friends went to Cebu. We stayed at San Remigio Pensionne Suites for they gave the lowest rates for hotel accommodation, round trip airport transfers and City Tour for a budget of P1,900.00/head and less than only. Aside from the price itself, the pictures of the room on their website were enticing. That's why we chose the hotel. Though I read some negative reviews about the location (also, I am kinda hesitant weeks before our tour), I still pushed through the booking since we needed a budget hotel for our trip.

A day before our trip, the receptionist called me and informed me that the van that will fetch us from the airport encountered technical problems. They offered us a new one but we will be charged extra P200.00. On our previous conversation, the charge per way for an airport transfer is P500.00 regardless of the number of persons. That's why I don't see why they need to charge us extra for the new vehicle. However, I did not mind that extra charge since we are 7persons and that would only amount to P30.00/head. Upon check-in, we already paid our balance and the extra charge. FYI, initially we are a group of 11persons, however, due to some issues, we were down to 9. Hence, we booked three rooms: Quadrupe, Quintupe and Twin Sharing. The receptionist asked if they will prepare the extra bed for the quintuple room. I informed them that there is no need since two of our friends backed out days before. They immediately refunded our payment for the extra bed. Kudos to this one! Because, as we all know, once you booked and paid (downpayment) the hotel already, changes cannot be done; it is considered sold. But to our surprise, a refund was made afterwards.

By the time I am canvassing for our hotel, I already know that the hotel's location is quite far from the airport around 30-45mins drive. Also, we were kinda disappointed of the location itself because it is not accessible to the national road. Also , it is more of a residential area and nobody would guess that there will be a hotel/inn inside. Taxi drivers really had a hard time locating it whenever we go back. This is one negative part of the hotel.

The hotel's lobby area is somewhat like an office style. They offer free WIFI but unfortunately it is only available at the lobby. We've been to the lobby several times but I think they do not turn on their aircon. It is always hot inside. There are available parking area for guests with vehicles, I think 10cars can fit in. They also have a security guard in front. Our room is on the third floor of the building. Every room has its own mini balcony facing the streets of Cebu. This is perfect for smoking persons. Our room offers I don't think if it is king or queen size beds but it can fit three persons and we love it! However, the blanket is not that thick. At night, we experience that the coldness of the aircon still reaches our feet even if it's inside the blanket. The aircon's location is not that good also since it is direct to the face if you lay down on the bed. Hence, we need to cover it by its thick curtains. The shower room is separate from the toilet area which is a good note. They also offer big cabinets for your luggage or clothes. They have a small restaurant on the rooftop overlooking Cebu City. We have a free breakfast for our stay. But they only offer Filipino breakfast: tosilog, hamsilog, spamsilog, cornsilog, longsilog, bacsilog, etc. You won't have a choice if you wanted a different breakfast for the next day. Also, the preparation time is quite long. You must advice them a night before or hours before breakfast for your preferred meal. But, my friends tried this one and still it's kinda disappointing. Their orders were not noted.

We didn't stay much of our time at the hotel mostly during at nights only. During our last day which was the schedule of our City Tour provided by the hotel, our schedule is 08:00am-01:00PM. Base on our previous conversation with the receptionist, after the City Tour, we will be heading back to the hotel to fix and arrange our things since we will still be buying pasalubongs, then afterwards head to the airport for our flight. But before we start our City Tour, the receptionist texted me (while I was at the van waiting for the others for the City Tour) that the standard check out time is 12:00PM and we will be charged P150.00/hr/room for extended stay. What happened to our conversation??? What happened to our agreement beforehand? This is really dismaying to all of us. So we decided to bring along our things and checkout immediately before our City Tour. It was really a disgusting conversation with her.

For our City Tour, we had a Toyota Hi-Ace since we are 9persons. The van itself does not cool the entire vehicle and it was really hot inside. The driver assigned to us was not that accommodating or so. He was just a driver himself! First stop was Taoist Temple, he just informed us to enter the area. No guide at all. Next stop was Shamrock where we bought the local pasalubongs, then the public market where we bought the dried fishes, afterwards was 7D where we bought Dried Mangoes. Next was Magellan's Cross and Sto Nino Chapel. Then, just a drop by at Fort San Pedro since there is an entrance fee of P30.00 Lastly was the lunch at CNT Lechon. Overall, the City Tour was a total mess. I didn't feel that we are on a tour, it's like we hired the van for just pasalubong buying. It's also disappointing as well. Based on or previous correspondence with the hotel, they've given me a list of the places to go for the City Tour but it was not followed. Now I know that what we paid for is not worthy.

To conclude, I do not recommend the City Tour of the hotel as well as the hotel itself. Why? Primary reason is the location itself. It's really hard to get out of the hotel. You need to tell the receptionist to call a taxi for you mostly if you will go out late at night. The streets were the hotel is located is not that safe to walk at all. Moreso, the fare of the taxi from the hotel to some point is hilarious. I think most of our money were spent on the transportation alone. Aside from that, if your in the city and you wanted to go back to the hotel, you really need to ride a taxi again and inform them that your hotel is nearby Prince Court Inn since the hotel was not that familiar to them. We've experienced to be circling around the area two times because we cannot remember the path to it. For the city tour, better to get it from DGF Rental, this is where we get our van transfers to Plantation Bay. The driver was two thumbs up. He is accommodating as well as kind to us. Their City Tour rate is almost the same as to the hotel but they offer a whole day one. I should have invest ours to them.

This was the first time that we fail to have a great budget hotel of all our travels.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Xue G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cebu City
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Very good service,
We love our room
The way to the location is not very appealing but go
To the pension itself is good, only the way and surroundings before entering is not appealing. But staff is vey helpful thanks

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Yesterday, we went for a dinner at San Remegio Pensionne Suite Hotel, early to arrive for we wanted to have dinner early so we could go home earlier, 5:30 pm to be exact when food was ordered. During the order taking, MOST OF THE FOOD AND DRINKS in the MENU are NOT AVAILABLE, anyways, left with no choice since the restaurant is situated on top of the building (no elevator available), we ordered only those available to them. We had a chat with the host who invited us in the said venue while waiting for the food. So FRUSTRATING, the food was served 8:00pm. It took us to wait for 2 hours and a half for us to be able to eat. We called the attention of the manager, so funny when the waiters tend to cover up the situation by not calling their manager immediately were in fact the manager was just on the next table behind us having a meeting. So poor manager that she didnt able to attend immediately to the situation were in fact i know she heard our complaints. When we talked to her, she just gave us a lame reason that they only have one cook since the other cook had an emergency, in fact the reservation was done two days ago and the host even reconfirmed the reservation tuesday morning. SUPRISINGLY, when the food was served, the price does not justify it, chicken were not cooked properly, too salty foods, pancit canton doesnt have any pork mixed with it or even toppings, grilled squid were not cooked properly (might as well ordered a raw one "kinilaw style", hahaha) Calling to the General Manager and the owner of the Pensionne Suite, better act on this one seriously, NO JOKE.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank michelle99_13

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

In September this year i was at the hotel with my fiancee to be and must say the hotel catered for what we needed, everyone was so friendly and polite, the rooms were big and well equiped and the kitchen in our room the second week was great, The guard on the gate was very polite and friendly, we met the owner and his family and was invited to the 2nd year anniversary party, lots of food and drink we just couldnt have asked for more, the owner so friendly had photos done with us and his family too, cafe gloria was great to just a flight of stairs away, on the whole i must say for the money theres nowhere in the u/k could come anywhere near it for price. we will certainly use this hotel again long may it flourish, many thanks to all the staff Brian U/K and partner

Room Tip: the rooms with a kitchen are a Godsend
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brian e
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The hotel is very clean and the staff are accommodating. The interior of the room is very modern and chic. The place is very quiet and the bed is so comfy... How i wish you have the same hotel in Davao... Your money is worth it. Although the location is not that easy access to the main road, wifi is only at the reception area and there is no elevator. All in all still very good...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Yuna Y
Northern California
Reviewed 15 January 2012

First the good things: They had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in the PI! The bed was backlit with lighting that was a little swanky and cool. Clean sheets and linen. Fairly large room, and had a whole separate kitchen, equipped with a fridge, hot pot/slow cooker, microwave, but No grill or oven. There was a full sink, and plenty of plates. Of course I didn't use the kitchen at all, but may work well for some travelers. The room was clean and I saw no roaches, etc.. Large bathroom sink basin, I used to wash some clothes in. Armour, and some drawer space for clothes. The area is reasonably quiet, and the hot water and aircon worked fine. One of the woman staff members looked some ferry schedule information off the internet, and wrote it all down very neatly for me. I appreciated that.

Bad points: The neighborhood is a little sketchy at night especially, I strolled around in the day, and the street was quite flooded and definitely immediate poverty in eye shot. There is a large egg packing ware house adjacent, but has a small bakery, and sports bar too. The hotel is totally gated, and has a guard 24/7; but you definitely need to go by Taxi at night. Some drivers have never heard of it.
The paint along the baseboards was chipping quite a bit. What sort of irked me the most was that they didn't accept credit cards for payment. I had made a reservation online with credit card, but then it didn't go through, so I had to pay in pesos. I think a 3/4 star hotel needs to accept credit cards in a major city!

I wouldn't stay there again, primarily because the location and neighborhood don't work for me. I think some folks would be happy with this place though, especially if you need a kitchen set up.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank mojorayjones
Tacloban, Philippines
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I would NOT stay at this hotel again, and i certainly won't book it for my friends or family when i get married next year which is the reason why i stayed there just to make sure it was ok..... :(
When you book a room they require a 50% deposit, which incurs a fee when you pay at the bank, so although the room is 950php its then 36php more expensive, 986php. Then they require a scanned copy of the receipt to prove you have paid !
There is NO Wifi in the rooms unless your directly above the reception desk, its in the middle of no where, so you need your own transport, or a taxi to go anywhere and theres no evelvator . . . .
I didnt find the staff i came across very interested in working . . . . more interested in chatting to each other than working, i felt i was a hinderance.
I had booked two nights, Sat and Sun, however because of TS Sendong, my house suffered a power outage and flooding. I emailed the hotel to tell them that i was unable to arrive on the Saturday due to all ferries being cancelled. I sent the email at 1335hrs the earliest i was able to send it, I had to find an internet cafe to do it, as i had no power . . . . On the Sunday when i made the trip as I had to, i was informed by the staff that i had to pay for the night i had not stayed. I refused to stay for the Sunday night and was going to leave, however the Manager as called and i was told i had to pay 190php fee for late cancellation. I found that insulting. ON the Sunday evening, when we arrived back at the hotel after meeting our Wedding planner, the staff on the front desk were more interested in the magazines they were reading that giving me the right room key. . . Security Guard was a great guy, thats the best i can say about the hotel . . . .

Room Tip: Stay at the Alba Uno, in Apas, its two minutes walk to the Asia IT Park, the staff are friendly and...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business