“Literally dirty rice?”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My business associate treat me for a quick dinner in this place, upon entering the place looks like a street hawker strip specializing in grilled items... and beware you will be approached/ swarmed by aggressive stall staffs to like choose their stall instead of others, dog eat dog world man.

Well assuming you already choose a particular stall, you will then choose from these display of grilled items, uncovered and not refrigerated, and they will cook it for you.

upon sitting you will be given a roll of plastic bags aka "foodgrade gloves" and a basket of "puso" or rice on a coconut leaves shape like a diamond. Well the food is almost if not all taste sweet man, a typical Filipino bbq taste, you will have to dip that on a diluted soy sauce... and the reason for the title of this review is the rice man, the surface is black dirty black, i asked the staff about it they just said its ok ...well maybe its just ok, but really it is not, thats what happened to my rice if you use coconut leaves to wrap without cleaning each leaves, its the dust, the dirt, the pests, the insects on that coconut leaves that you use on my rice.

Well i just lost my appetite to eat that night and stick to drinking soda instead.

2  Thank morenosherwin

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I worked near the area before. It's popular for it's affordability but I no longer like how they present/keep the food (room temperature)...

Reviewed 23 January 2014

So like all 3rd world country street food always be prepped to get sick... I have never gotten sick off of Larsian, but some have.. However their Barbicue and Puso (Hanging Rice) is delicious and one craves it throughout the year. In the event that you would feel safer trying similar barbecue else where..Barbicue Boss in Talamban is similar in taste, but you miss out on the street foodie atmosphere. Make sure in either venue you ask for soy sauce, calamansi and chili that is your mix to the barbecue and rice.

1  Thank Shana S
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This place needs to work on improving the ventilation system as all the smoke from tbe grilling just stays in the place. You get to smell like a barbecue when you leave this place.

The food and price is reasonable but the place is so hot that it cab ruin your appetite.

Parking is also a challenge.

1  Thank Dafufu
Reviewed 3 January 2014

After our Cebu City Tour, our driver took us to a local place for lunch.

Not for the faint of heart, Larsian BBQ is an outdoor eatery in Cebu specializing in grilled food items. One can choose from the many vendors that hawk a variety of meat and seafood to be freshly grilled for you on the spot. Upon arrival, my husband was very thrilled, “this is the place I saw on YouTube!” he said excitedly. Myself on the other hand, not so much.

I’m all for street food, but it was too early on our trip to risk getting sick. I didn't know how long the raw meat and seafood has been sitting out for. The temperature reached about
88 degrees that day and I felt uneasy about the situation.

I worked up the courage and decided to give it a try. We didn’t go overboard with the offerings. I think our vendor was a bit disappointed. Between the two of us, we got a squid, a whole fish, 2 chicken thighs, and “longaniza” a sweet Philippines sausage that reminded me of Chinese sausage. They also had lots of innards but my husband and I weren't up for that.

Our vendor showed us to his tables in the community seating area and quickly brought us a basket of individual rice triangle wrapped in banana leaves along with Thai chili peppers and plates.
Within 15 minutes our seafood feast was delivered to our table. Everything looked and smelled tantalizing. My apprehension went away and I dug in. The meats and fish had a great charred taste that could only be achieved on the grill.

The traditional way of eating the meal is with your hands. Plastic bags were placed on the tables to be used as gloves. I thought that was a great idea. One can enjoy their meal and nibble on bones without getting their fingers messy. There was also different sauces on the table. I am not sure with the white clear one was, I assumed it would be lime juice and the other was a soy sauce based dip.

When it was time to pay the bill, the vendor came to count our banana leaves from the baskets to calculate the amount of rice triangles we consumed. Good thing he did that, we didn't keep track. Our bill was less than $12.00 for our meats, rice, bottled water and beers.

I’m not sure we will have the opportunity to visit again, but it was definitely a great experience.