“Excellent hotel plus unbeatable location in Cebu City!”

Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Spent 3 days in Cebu with buddies last Mar 2-4. Got rooms at the Quest Hotel for around Php 3,000 per night (with breakfast!) and I must say that this hotel rocks in terms of value! It is a 4-star business hotel that's packed with the basic experiences plus some extras that makes you feel that you're getting 4 star experience for much less.

The lobby was tastefully designed with a waiting lounge and a restaurant. Great staff who always warmly greets guests at the door. Reception staff also very pleasant. You are well taken care of in this place.

Hotel room was of average size. I would think maybe 25 sq.m. Beds were very comfortable, linen and pillow all feel smooth on the skin while you're sound asleep. Bathroom had a basic and clean white look with strong showers and complete toiletries. I just noticed that the vent fan right above the water closet leaked water. Not good to be sitting there and having drops of water land on your head :) TV good, lighting good, study table good. A refrigerator offered some beverages just in case you and your friends want to relax in the room with a beer while watching the Discovery Turbo channel before heading out to Cebu's popular clubs.

We also tried the hotel pool. Excellent for a quick dip before dinner. With that, our portable sounds, plus the hotel's consistent beer and beverage service, we couldn't ask for anything more.

The restaurant at the ground floor served excellent breakfast for champions, very inviting specially after a tiring night out. Excellent selection and food quality - very good value considering the room price!

Hotel location? It's right beside Ayala Center Cebu! We'd just cross the street for errands, pasalubongs (gifts) and dinner! I couldn't imagine a better location than this (except maybe Radisson Blu, slightly more expensive).

All in all I would rate Quest as an excellent value choice for business travelers and friends looking for a quick Cebu weekend. This hotel has excellent accommodations, great food, enviable location and very pleasant staff. I would be happy to come back here anytime. Thanks Quest!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank TheEuge
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear The Euge,

We want to thank you for taking the time to write this review on your stay with us.

I have mentioned previously that I really enjoy getting reviewed by guests like yourself who have so many reviews, I see you have submitted 26..wow.

Your comments were quite detailed and as a seasoned traveler you have hit on all of the key points we try to train on and ensure a positive guest experience. Our location is just a bonus.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future.

Quest Cebu General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,091)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

It all began with such promise. My first email inquiries regarding facilities -- specifically, the distinction between deluxe and "premium" deluxe -- were promptly and completely answered. ("Premium" means with balcony, in case you are curious.)

And upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted by a multitude of friendly staff. But then I began to smell the paint. The chemicals. The work-in-progress of an under-construction facility.

As the bellman showed me to my floor the odor worsened and once in my room, it was literally unbearable for me. Now, I know some people aren't bothered by odors, but my eyes were watering. Add the fear of not knowing exactly what was in the terrible odor I was smelling and how would it effect me to sleep with this odor in my room--effect me immediately and long-term--and I was more than a little concerned. I immediately asked for a room change. The front desk told me all the rooms smelled the same because the paint was uniformly fresh throughout the hotel, but he would see what he could do and asked me to wait in the lobby while he looked. Finally he offered me one room change--to a "deluxe" room.

Yes, their response to my problem with their unannounced soft opening, with the stench of paint in my room, was to offer me a "free downgrade". I went to look at the room because I had prepaid through Agoda and didn't want to walk away from my money, but, as I had been informed in my very first email, the only difference was their proffered option had no balcony. And it had no window to open. It had absolutely no ventilation whatsoever. So, yes their "helpful" response to my difficulty breathing in the stench of paint was to move me to a room where that stench could be in no way ameliorated.

I declined their generous offer of a 'free downgrade' to a room where I would most assuredly be unable to sleep.

Back in my room I set a chair against the balcony door to prop it open and turned the bathroom exhaust fan up high. And left the room to "air out".

About this time I spotted a "Dear Guest" notice sitting on the desk in the room. Along with "A warm welcome" this low-key, unannounced little piece of paper told me that "The hotel is in its soft opening and some areas are on its final stages of construction."

I couldn't believe it. A secret soft opening? "Some" areas?

Now perhaps some of you will forgive this hotel for attempting to lure guests into paying for their rooms before informing them that they're having a "soft opening". And perhaps some of you will forgive them for writing that "Some areas" are in "final stages of construction" when absolutely every room in the entire hotel smelled like a paint factory.

Perhaps some of you will. I will not. I have spent my first day in Cebu prowling the City Center searching for a hotel to which I can move. It is Easter week. Today is Easter Sunday. I am unprepared for such a destruction of my would-be holiday, but the Quest hotel has left me no option.

Adding to my unpleasant experience was the failure of every ATM I tried to accept either my MC credit card or my Visa debit card. So I was walking penniless around Cebu City. I asked at the front desk of the hotel to which I had already pre-paid two nights on my American Express card if they might allow me a cash withdrawal to see me through the unfortunately-timed Easter Holiday--because banks would not be open for two days I could not further investigate the difficulties with my Bank of America credit and debit cards (I won't get off-topic to discuss BofA right now). The hotel refused. They further said they had no license to change money. I tried to explain I was not seeking any illegal changing of monies, nor was I attempting a free cash withdrawal. I just needed to get through a bank-less Easter Sunday and Monday and perhaps, because I was a pre-paid guest of the hotel, they might find a way to assist me in this. They could not. I confess it was a bit embarassing to stand at the front desk and literally beg the hotel -- at which I was a pre-paid guest -- to assist me in obtaining money to get through the week-end. And the hotel did absolutely nothing to make it any less embarrassing, making it clear that this was my problem, not theirs.

As was my aversion to the stench of paint in my bedroom. As was my disdain for an unannounced "soft opening".

As is my opinion that the Quest hotel and whoever determined it should behave in such a manner are the worst choices a traveler can make when visiting a new city and expecting to be welcomed not by false and superficial smiles, but by sincere and useful assistance.

So, yes, the Quest Hotel is the most disappointing hotel experience of my life.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Jay90210

Dear jay90210,

On behalf of the team here I would to apologize for your unpleasant experience, we do try our best to give everyone a great experience.

Hopefully you will find a way to give us a try in the future when we have been open for some time.

I will look into all of the issues you raised to see if we can find a way to improve on our services.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Brand new hotel meant clean accomodations and fresh facilities.What really won my heart was the service the staff delivered consistently during our entire stay.Every personel from the little guy to the GM took it personally to make our stay most comfortable and enjoyable.Ended up staying a month and was sad to leave.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank carlo l
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Carlo I,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review on your stay in the hotel.

I'm glad our service to you was memorable and that you had the chance to stay with us for so long. I think I remember you, as you say you were here for a month and there have not been too many guests that long as we just opened.

It was our pleasure to host you here at the hotel and speaking for all the staff we hope that if your travels bring you back to Cebu you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Great hotel. Stayed there once and definitely stay again. Service is superb, staff going the extra mile to meet your needs.

• Stayed: February 2012
7  Thank BoyBimpo
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear BoyBimpo,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, we really take to heart the reviews from Senior Reviewers like yourself.

We do try our best to go the "Extra Mile" and are pleased that you experienced that service.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Quest when your travels bring you to Cebu.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

No doubt we love new stuff coz it's not worn out and that fresh smell brings delight to our senses. From the bed, pillow, lcd tv, comfort room everything is awesome. Though some floor is still in the making but everything is in order. We love the nice pool in the 7th floor which has a kiddie version on the side. Of course all of the things I've mentioned is expected or say they're given since its a new property. Now to the not so amazing part...I asked to borrow some plates and fork & I was appalled when the operator said that "Sorry Sir but we will charge you for that." I asked how much and after 3 minutes of waiting she came back & said "Sorry sir but its the hotel policy not to provide plates & utensils." I asked WHY & she said that's the hotel's policy. So I hang up & I told my partner to call to ask for tap water and a pitcher of ice. When she called the operator said "Sir we will not provide tap water or ice". So my partner bursted and replied that this is the only hotel that we've been to that never served tap water to its guest. This is so true. For whatever hotel policy they're referring to this is not a good way to satisfy your in-house guests. Hotels should know better that whatever the requests of the guests as long as it's available and it will make the customer happy-GIVE IT because hotels got nothing to lose. If you want to stay here and need other things from the hotel-you better email or call them to know if they'll charge you or if they ever allow you to borrow it. One more thing-this hotel sits at the end of Ayala flyover. I don't recommend staying here if you have kids with you. Crossing the road is almost impossible especially at night & when its traffic & I don't think this hotel would invest for a skywalk going to Ayala Mall. Better safe than sorry.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank iNeedaHotel

Dear iNeedahotel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are glad to see that your initial impression of the hotel was "awesome" we do try to provide a quality product for our guests.

As far as the issue with the room service requests I will personally look into this, service to the guests is our number one priority. As a policy we do not charge for ice and we provide bottled water in the room free of charge. We do apologize if there was a miss communication.

We hope you will find the time to stay with us again

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Lovely rooms, great balcony View and a swimming pool that I didn't know was there!

Great price, up there with the 4 stars.

Also survived a 6.8 earthquake, bed did move a little though lol.

Room Tip: 7th floor with swimming pool and balcony
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
23  Thank Blusty2010
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Blusty2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your review on our hotel.

It was our pleasure to host you and I'm glad the earthquake was minor, I hope you were not too troubled.

The Premier Deluxe rooms you stayed in with the balconies are our most popular rooms, we are glad you had a chance to try them.

We look forward to your next visit to Cebu.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I am always particular about service , and for this newly opened hotel (they opened feb of this year), they are doing a good job! I entered the hotel and was welcomed by smiling staff and all of them with warm greetings. The hotels reception had generous space, very clean and tasteful furniture. The staff were well groomed . Their bedrooms, were also very clean, pristine white, very ornate abaca headboard which was quite interesting. Spacious dinning area, haven't tried the food yet though since I m always out early and back late, ate out most of the time. I do hope they do maintain this level of service and it would be interesting to see how they fare when I get to visit them in my next trips. Overall, it's a great place , great location and great hospitality!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
61  Thank nmc8693
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear nmc8693,

Thank you for the review on your stay at our hotel, we always appreciate reviews from TripAdvisor members who are well seasoned travelers.

You have noticed our service and it is the number one key success factor for our hotel and we spend a lot of time with the staff on this and I'm glad it was noticed.

I look forward to your next trip to Cebu and hope you will find the time to try the food as this is the second key success factor here at the hotel and we feel we have a great F&B team. Please give us a try and let us know how we did.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to your return.