“Just excellent”

The Henry Hotel Cebu
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
“Just excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel just for one night and were sorry we couldnt stay longer because we had other plans... It is a great hotel with perfect service and very cool design! It has everything u need and the staff is very helpful!

• Stayed November 2013
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your excellent review. It would be nice to have you back on a longer stay period so i and the rest of the team certainly look forward to your return. Thank you very much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

When researching hotels to stay in Cebu, I was intrigued to stay here based on the images of the hotel the pictures were very interesting and I wouldn't expect a hotel like this to be in the Philippines. I decided to book it based on reviews and the hotel did not disappoint.

The ambiance and artwork throughout the hotel including the rooms were very stylish and in my words very "hipster." From the front desk girls with their big glasses to the little added things in the rooms. The room itself was very clean and very spacious (we stayed in the basic room) and our bed was so comfortable I didn't wanna get out of bed half the time.

I gave this place 4 stars instead of 5 because 1) the location was kind of hidden, whenever we got in a taxi cab they always were very clueless and most of the time had no idea where it was unless we named a specific street 2) the toilet in our room sucked it didn't flush half the time and was incredibly weak. And FYI before you book this hotel make sure you're comfortable enough to stay in a room with the person you're with because there are NO bathroom doors, so be prepared to get that personal with whoever is in the room with you, because you'll have no privacy if you're doing your business on the toilet. But overall we had a great experience at this hotel and would definitely stay here again if ever I was in Cebu again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks to your encouraging review. It feels good that your decision to book in our hotel based on positive reviews did not disappoint you. Most, it feels best knowing you will stay with us again because of your great experience. I also thank you for highlighting The Henry Hotel's hipster ambience which became the favorite of our many guests as well as the other details that make our hotel like no other. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the weak pressure in your water closet. As of this writing, desired water pressure has already been restored after our maintenance team declogged the pipeline and did the needful. We also recognize that many guests prefer privacy in the bathroom over style and artistic flair and we are working on installation of appropriate enclosure to ensure your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Henry. Thank you so much.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The artwork and styling throughout the hotel was interesting enough to warrant a dozen photo opportunities alone. The rooms were very generously sized and maintained well.

The quality of the breakfast was very good, although the speed of service was a little bit hit or miss.

The location is fantastic- the korean and Japanese restaurants nearby were great, and there is beer-pong in the bar across the road.

The staff were very helpful and in high spirits throughout, the attire of the reception staff a highlight.

Room Tip: The xx-large rooms are almost pointlessly big, unless you plan to play hide and seek.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Adam H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. Delighted to know that you liked the artwork, location and staff service. Discussed your feedback on restaurant service with our operations manager and please be assured that appropriate measures were already taken. Looking forward to being of service to you once again at The Henry, like no other. Thank you very much.
Southern Finland, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hotel is nice and the front desk girls so stylish and friendy with a stylish outlooks. I had a room on the 3th floor and i can not understand that wierd noise on the 4th floor,..i think somebody walk around her home with high heels and it could be heard so easily downstairs. 4th floor,..it has maybe normal condo homes or Gym,..i suppose? My aircon was broken and my friend one leaking to the floor. Bed is still the best what you i have discovered before in the Philippines,.and room spacious and comfortable. Large room is really good enough .

Food was nice ,..we took same kind of beefs with my friend,.he is big guy,.i am smaller,.so he got big beef,.and i twice smaller:p Breakfast,..so much simple until now. Only simple American breakfast on a selection of 4 different kind of ones.

I still miss music to the bar veranda and more tables and seats. Wi-fi. Not good at all.

Location is nice,..my opinion,..some distance from center( 4km) but still near nice restaurants,.bars and country mall. Banilad is safe part of Cebu,.. unlike Osmenia and Escario

Room Tip: Please avoid 3th floor,.maybe Gym upstairs,..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Niko_sta
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on how your stay with us has been. First, i would like to apologize for the noise that reverberated to your room which most likely resulted from the furniture and workers movement with an ongoing room refurbishment on level 5. Likewise, i am truly sorry for the AC issue you pointed out which our engineering team will address right away. Pleased to advise that effective Nov 20, our "Ravintola" shall start offering breakfast buffet to enhance the breakfast and dining experience of our valued guests which is a proof that we do not welcome our guest's feedback but we listen and find solution. Once again, Kiitos Paljonfor for choosingThe Henry and it would be a pleasure to host your future visit in Cebu.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed here at least three instances this year, usually on an overnight basis, and the hotel is just simply unique, the location is good, close to a lot of commercial areas, and a catholic church. A japanese restaurant and a deli cafe type is right beside the hotel, and so are bars and coffee shops. The food at Ricas cafe is very continental, very good, similar to Manila and international standards. The rooms are big, spacious, and the staff very friendly and attentive. Some areas for improvement though, water pressure n the bathroom is not that strong, and for a boutique hotel, the bathroom should add more towels and amenities. Overall, the location and the hotel makes it 4.8 star and would definitely stay here the next time I am in Cebu.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 711traveller
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share with us a gratifying review of The Henry Hotel. We really appreciate that you pointed out all the qualities such as our design driven and uniquely designed rooms that are also generous in space, our great location which time and again was recognized in many reviews and by many guests as well as our hospitable and friendly staff. We welcome your suggestion on the water pressure, towels and bathroom amenities
and please be assured that necessary action shall be taken. Thank you for staying with us and looking forward to your 4th visit this year and many visits in the future.
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

you will never be treated better than at the henry. it is well located and safe. beautifully done rooms, efficient, lots of great restaurants just beside the hotel and in walking distance to one mall (country mall), movie theater, bowling, everything you need in a five to ten minute walk. two gyms, as im a fitness nut, one very nice and one homegrown but thats where i go. and also the banilad town center with many restaurants and a grocery. taxis are easy to get. the staff is marvelous and the general manager is great. great breakfast and restaurant, also nice people. tell them ted sent you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank theodore2233
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your top rated review. I realized there are so many guests including yourself who appreciated our hotel's location especially those who had the the opportunity to get acquainted or visit some of the must-see places few steps away or very close to where we are making The Henry Hotel a perfect destination whether you are in Cebu for business or staycation. Looking forward to being of service to you once again on your next stay with us. Thank you very much.
Cebu, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

LOCATION:

I must say, one of the assets of The Henry is its location. It is centrally-located in a sense that it is close to everything. The airport is just 25-40 minutes away. Airport transfers can be arranged prior to your arrival. Within a five minute walk from the hotel are 7-Eleven, a bank with an ATM, a spa and several casual dining restaurants. Ayala Center Cebu, IT Park and downtown Cebu are just minutes away on a taxi. One could also take the jeepney.

The hotel is located in a secondary street (Maria Luisa Road), which stems out from the busy Banilad Road, so while it’s so near to the conveniences and establishments of the main street, it is comfortably tucked away from all of the noise along the thoroughfare.

Its only disadvantage is that it’s new, and not a lot of taxi drivers know about it yet, but you can just point out its location (the black building along Maria Luisa Road).

ARRIVAL AND CHECK-IN:

First impressions last and The Henry surely left a good impression when I was greeted by their bellboy with genuine warmth as I alighted from the cab. I was then escorted to the front desk for check-in. Before I could even appreciate the vintage European furniture at the lobby, the hotel staff’s 70s inspired uniform and their oversized glasses caught my attention.

Like the bellboy, the lady at the front desk was all smiles and was really very friendly and accommodating. Check-in was a breeze. I presented my voucher and was then asked if I had a valid ID for their records. I then filled out a check-in form. Security in hotels is really a major concern so I was glad to know that the hotel is equipped with a card key system, which is what you’ll also be using to make the elevator work. While my check-in was being processed, I was served a glass of kalamansi juice as a welcome drink. After the hassle-free process, I was escorted to my room.

THE ROOM:

I was billeted at a Big Room on the third floor. All rooms at The Henry are big and spacious (36-108 square meters) and none of them are designed alike.

When the hotel staff opened the door to my room, I was blown away! At 36 square meters, the big room was really big (and it was their smallest huh). I was astonished at how they went beyond the stiffness of a regular hotel, giving it character. The floors are polished concrete in their natural color. This industrial-vibe and raw look which I first saw at the lobby extended up to the walls and ceilings, giving the room a quirky feel.

The white fabric canopy above the bed made the room more cozy

The room is closet-less, but there’s an area near the door where clothes can be hung. That didn’t bother me. I think it even added to its charm. Inside that small cabinet is a drawer and a safety deposit box

The king-sized bed had gleaming all-white linens and they looked and felt clean, with a scent of freshness just enough not to irritate the nose. I usually sleep on my side so I found the bed really big. The bed had six pillows of different sizes, all of which were very soft and inviting. The first thing I had on mind was to jump in the bed, roll around and just sleep.

Another thing I liked about the room is the abundance of power outlets, strategically placed at where you’ll actually be needing them (e.g. beside the bed, by the desk, by the sofa, etc.)

The room has basic amenities such as a split-type air conditioning system, cable LCD TV, wall desk, small refrigerator, a telephone and a safety deposit box.

TOILET and BATH:

One of the things I do check out before settling in a room is the toilet and bath area.

The toilet and bath area was clean and huge! There’s more than enough space for my moments of vanity. Towels were clean. The shower area is separated by a glass half wall, making the bathroom feel more open. And I loved that the hot and cold shower had a rain water head, which basically allowed for therapeutic and relaxing showers. When not in the mood to dance in the rain, a handheld shower is also available.

One thing worth mentioning is the handmade natural and organic toiletries provided, proudly Philippine-made by Leyende!

The toilet and bath is separated from the main room by a lock-less sliding door, so this room is ideal for solo travelers like myself or couples.

THE SWIMMING POOL:

The Henry has a nice courtyard swimming pool surrounded by lush greens. Although small, it is nothing short of a relaxing one. There are sun loungers around the pool for those who just want to spend a moment by the pool. And people who don’t know how to swim but are still eager to take a dip, like myself, would be glad to know that the shallow part of the pool is only 3 feet deep! Yey!

BREAKFAST:

Breakfast is served from 6AM-10:30AM at Rica’s, the hotel’s own restaurant at the ground floor, just beside the lobby. Since The Henry only has 38 rooms, so breakfast is plated. One can choose from American, European, Filipino or Fitness breakfast:

AMERICAN
- choice of bacon, sausage and corned beef hash
- served with fried egg or scrambled egg, toast, mixed green salad and fresh fruit of the day

EUROPEAN
- farmer’s ham and cheese

FITNESS
- muesli, yoghurt, fresh milk and fresh fruit of the day

FILIPINO
- choice of smoked chorizo, garlicky bangus and pork tocino
- served with fried egg or scrambled egg, plain or garlic rice, mixed green salad and fresh fruit of the day

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
- Guests are provided complimentary wireless internet (WIFI) access. Each is given a unique username and password combination. Download speeds were really good and averaged from 1-2 mbps.

- Check-in time: 2pm; check-out time: 12nn

- The Henry has function rooms and establishments such as Virus (an upscale boutique), Scrapyard (an upscale bar/lounge), Qube (an art gallery within the building), and Lohas Salon (by professional Korean hairstylist Sun Ok Seo)

Well, as you can see, The Henry truly lives up to its tagline, Like No Other. Its funkiness, atypical and pleasantly bizarre setup is Like No Other hotel out there. Since rooms are designed unique from each other, each guest is assured of an experience Like No Other guest’s experience. And speaking of experience, the front desk staff should be commended for going the extra mile in providing service that is Like No Other, customized and tailor-fit to suit your needs.

OVERALL, I really had a wonderful stay at The Henry. It is a hidden gem in the Queen City of the South, just waiting to be uncovered and I highly recommend you to experience it first-hand! It is an ideal place to stay for leisure traveler, looking for a place with privacy but just within a few minutes to the pleasures that Cebu City offers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank TheLibotero
Dear Guest,

My highest appreciation for your comprehensive review of The Henry Hotel which highlighted great and unique qualities of our property that truly sets it apart from the rest making it favortire destination of a lot of guests and a hotel.. like no other. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you very much.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cebu City
BEST WESTERN Plus Lex Cebu
BEST WESTERN Plus Lex Cebu
#7 of 87 in Cebu City
Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Been to The Henry Hotel Cebu? Share your experiences!