“GREAT STAFF AND A DECENT ROOM”
Review of Diplomat Hotel

Diplomat Hotel
Ranked #69 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I am a Foriegner and I stayed in the Diplomat for 15 nights while having some dental work completed in Cebu . The fromt desk staff are ALL great , especially Marilou and Marqaux , Rooms were kept clean , room safe worked great , what a plus ! Beds were always made , staff always helpful when I needed something , even advice on where to eat etc . The Spa was great , had a massage each night , Thanks Anne ! For the price and the location in Cebu , I'd say this hotel is a great deal . For all foriegners , please remember you are in the Philippines and if you wish to have things be just like home , then maybe you'd better just stay at home . The Philippines is the Philippines , please except that . Its the 2nd best place on earth .

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank rshaneg

Reviewed 11 May 2010

The rate for the Diplomat was reasonable. But when you pay a cheaper price you don`t get that extra service. For example, when we tried to get information about places to see in Cebu or maps of the city, the front desk wasn`t that helpful. They were actually a little cold. The hotel seemed to house many white males with Philippino women. Sometimes we`d see the dude escorting his local one night stand out to the curb in the morning. Other times it was men in their 50`s or 60`s having a silent awkward breakfast with their woman in the hotel restaurant. Overall the service wasn`t great but it was reasonable clean and a suitable place to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank AFtravel808
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Rang this place ahead and was asked to give my time of arrival. I estimated between 4 and 5pm. I arrived at 5.15 and my room had been sold. I was then left with completely indifferent staff who couldn't comprehend the concept of customer service. I did eventually get a room, it was cheap and nasty and I left the next day and fund much better elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Someclevertag
Reviewed 27 April 2010

A friend of mine who is from Cebu recommended the Diplomat to us, so we stayed there for 2 nights last week. The price was very reasonable, and the location was central. For the first night, we stayed in room 321. The room was neat, but you can tell they don't do a thorough job with cleaning, especially the bathroom. I woke up the next day with bite marks all over me, very itchy! We complained to the staff, and they put us in a new room right next door, in 319. I didn't get any more bites in that room, and I found it was cleaner as well. I guess it was just bad luck that we got the room with bed bugs. But the place was not spectacular so I will not stay there again.

Also, the hotel is full of old white guys and their very young Filipina lady friends (aka hookers). I did not see one couple who did not fit that description when I was there. So if you are ok with that then the Diplomat is the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carmesan
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I stayed at the Diplomat for ten days and was very satisfied with most things about the hotel. The restaurant was not great but okay for breakfast and sometimes dinner. I had to pay extra to get brewed coffee with the "breakfast special", otherwise it was instant coffee. I will say room service was responsive and very reasonable price wise.

My room was always clean and had fresh towels daily. I might ad the Diplomat has the best air conditioning I experienced in Cebu. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only real gripe is with the poor quality of the wireless Internet connection. Plus having to buy blocks of time for it. I had to use Internet cafes my last two days since the server was down.

There is a really good day spa in the same building. I got several excellent massages there for about $5.50 an hour. Highly recommended.

All in all a great value and I would likely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Frank2008_8
Reviewed 24 April 2010

For the price, Diplomat hotel is ok. The safe in my room didn't work so the staff let me change rooms. However, the new room smelled like an ashtray and water didn't drain properly in the bathroom. The floor of the bathroom wasn't at enough of an angle to cause the water to go to the drain so water collected on the bathroom floor leading to a heavy mildew smell.
The taxi drivers outside are pure scum. I had a female friend (non-sexual) visit me and when she was ready to go I walked her to the taxis that gather outside. She got in and left, no problems right? Well, later that afternoon my girlfriend came over and as she was walking into the hotel the taxi drivers felt the need to tell her that I had another girl over earlier that day. I explained to my girlfriend that nothing happened and she got over it. However, I didn't appreciate that the taxi drivers gossiped about the guests at the hotel. Luckily my girlfriend was understanding, but this situation could cause a man serious problems. Taxi drivers shouldn't gossip about hotel guests, its bad for business.
I had booked 30 days at the Diplomat hotel and this incident happened on day 3. I explained to the manager what the taxi drivers said and from that day forth the taxi drivers no longer waited for customers on hotel property, they were forced to congregate on the sidewalk.
Diplomat hotel is managed by Koreans and has a heavy international clientele. The food in the restaurant is edible but there is a delicious and cheap thai restaurant immediately to the right of the building.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelerJoe77
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We enjoyed our stay here, the rooms were massive it was in a good location. I was with my boyfriend and my younger brother and there was ample room for all of us. Highly recommend this hotel. Great Value for money! Make sure you pick up really good quality copy DVDs just around the corner for 40 Peso :)

• Stayed: February 2010