“Top Notch Service and Excellent Accommodations”

Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Ranked #2 of 89 Hotels in Cebu City
Iloilo City, Philippines
“Top Notch Service and Excellent Accommodations”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have stayed in Marco Polo Cebu a few times both for business and pleasure. I get the best of both worlds, being able to conduct business in nearby areas and at the same time have a bit of an R and R as it also has a "resort" vibe to it. I especially like staying in the hotel with my family as my kids love the buffet and the pool. I think the place is well-maintained, clean, comfortable, safe, and has that upscale ambiance that somehow makes each guest special.

Service is excellent. I can't complain with the way everyone treats us when we stay there. I've never had a problem with check-in, or service in the rooms and restaurants. Most of the time I have my children with me, so it's a big plus when they feel comfortable and I don't hear any complaints about the bed, the food, etc. It makes our vacation more enjoyable and our time together more memorable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jong P
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Jong P,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you very much for writing an excellent review about your recent stay at our hotel property. We are even more inspired to consistently deliver the brand of hospitality that the Marco Polo is known for. Indeed, exceptional service and excellent accommodation for all our guests are our top priority.

Cheers to you and the whole family for that enjoyable and memorable stay with us! We look forward to see you all on that next Cebu trip!

Hans Hauri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here for a single night on business. I usually like taking responsibility for where I stay but the company chose this one (which always makes me nervous). But there was no need for concern - it was really nice.

It is quite far up the hill above the main malls but close to the IT Park where our office is located. It is a large hotel and we were in 'Club Rooms' on the top floors which gave us access to the top-floor Club reception. In truth, it was little quicker than normal reception though we did get invited into the lounge for a snack or soft drink while they checked us in. Great views from the higher floors too.

The hotel is not particularly new and the rooms illustrated it. They were not bad but certainly not cutting-edge modern.

Wifi - always important to me - was fine.

The little bit of food we had was ok - not bad but not anything I would rave about.

Staff were very attentive - really good in fact. I will likely stay again as we now have a business in Cebu and I will be happy to return. Next time I will ask for a room overlooking the city and out to sea instead of the mountain view - I like the sea!

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Arthur G,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for writing a descriptive review about your stay in our hotel property recently. It serves as a good reference for those seeking for a hotel accommodation in Cebu City, particularly business travelers like you who are on the go, yet wanting to be more relaxed from the buzz of city traffic at the end of the day.

We thank you too for acknowledging our brand of customer service which is the very core of this industry. We call it, “the Marco Polo Way”.

May we also share with you the good news about our on-going room renovations which is a major added premium to our hotel property. Some floors have already been done and operational and we look forward for the project completion soon.

Here’s to share with you that we too are happy to have you again stay at the Marco Polo Plaza!

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed one night at the Junior Suite. The view from the room is breathtaking. I think that when booking a room, you have a choice between ocean view or mountain view. We had the ocean view. Room was very clean, bed comfortable enough. Bathroom was moderately sized. However, the shower's temperature would sometimes fluctuate, but a letter from the management was left in our room saying that repairs are currently being done to address that.

As for the amenities, we had access to the Continental Club, which is the top floor of the hotel with the most amazing view of BOTH the ocean and the mountain. Perfect spot for taking photos. Complimentary snacks and cocktails were also served there at certain times, but refreshments were available the entire day. The hotel also has a medium-sized pool, but my only complaint is that construction workers from a building being constructed nearby were watching the swimmers. Awkward.

The location isn't so bad. About 25minutes by cab (around PhP125) to major historical sites, and a little less for Ayala Mall, though SM is a bit farther. Anyway, Marco Polo also offers shuttle services to, from and among the malls every few hours, making more trips than most other hotels, so that was convenient as not only were we spared the taxi fare, we were also able to ask the shuttle to drop off our purchases at the concierge.

I must say though, the most commendable aspect of my stay in Marco Polo Plaza was the service. I've had the pleasure of staying many 3-, 4-, and 5-star hotels all over the world, and although usually, 4- and 5-stars have especially friendly and helpful staff, the efficiency and cheerfulness and Marco Polo has been the best I have experienced so far. All the staff I've interacted with would go the extra mile to cater to my requests, even anticipating them before I asked, and all done with a pleasant smile that truly makes you feel that they love doing their job. Particular props to one of the butlers in the Continental Club, Isidro A.

Over all, very good stay and definitely recommended. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear takemegalaxy,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

First of all, let us thank you for lauding our brand of customer service through writing this review. Being branded, “The best service ever experienced” amongst all your hotel accommodation experiences inspires us even more to be the best in what we do in this industry. Kudos to our associates!

We are glad that you immensely appreciated the luxury of the Continental Club where you enjoyed the Food and Beverage amenities as well as the panoramic view of the beautiful city of Cebu.

Thank you too for mentioning the area that needs attention at the pool area. We are taking note of this operational aspect.

Lastly, it is our pleasure to note of your recommendation of the Marco Polo Plaza. This definitely helps tourists and travelers looking for outstanding hotel accommodation in the city of Cebu.

We hope to see you and your friends again on your next Cebu trip!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Rooms are large and clean. Gym is excellent. Bar at the top floor is fine with good choices of wine and cocktails. Staff is nice and friendly. Location in my opinion could be closer to the center, but the view is nice. Concierge services were fine.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear tba_77,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for finding time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We are glad to know that you generally enjoyed our accommodation, services and amenities, especially the wonderful panoramic view of the city which is one of our hotel property’s premiums.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Cebu!

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 10 August 2013

the hotel is located at the top of a hill, the building is old and during the day there are plenty of noises from nearby refurbishing's and new wing construction, quiet at night. The breakfast buffet was adequate and the service pleasant. the rooms are not that nice, they are in need of redecoration, nothing done for years and although clean the decoration is old, careful with the bathroom floor when wet, it is extremely slippery!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear nagube,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at our hotel property. We value your comments and observations and we do our best to improve guest experience.

May we then take this opportunity to share with you information about our on-going room renovation project. It aims to give a modern atmosphere, integrating new trends in furnishing styles, as well as improvements in bathroom and lighting design. We look forward for its completion at the end of the year. We apologize for the inconvenience that this project has caused as well as the on-going construction next to our hotel. The latter is a new development, part of the Mixed-Use facility that is going to be enjoyed by future guests of Marco Polo Plaza Cebu. It includes jogging tracks, rock-climbing walls, a Zen garden, and a lot more luxurious facilities.

We hope to see you again in your future business trip to Cebu!

Shaoxing, China
Reviewed 9 August 2013

If choosing to stay at this location beware that simple tasks at the hotel may take up to 8 hours to achieve the goal.

Food wise the meals are not cooked as per the paying guests requests which is extremely disappointing as considering the cost associated.

Rooms are old and dated but ok

Room Tip: choose city views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Matthew b,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

May we sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not seem to meet your expectations. We thank you though for pointing out the areas that we need to look into, as we aim to be consistent in providing outstanding customer experience.

At this point, may we share with you information of our current room renovation project. The objective is to offer modern atmosphere in accommodation with the integration of new furnishing trends, bathroom improvements and lighting design. Some floors are already operational and we look forward for the project’s completion targeted at the end of the year.

We do hope to see you again here at the Marco Polo Plaza on your next trip.

Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Marco Polo, even if old, has maintained its place as a 4-star hotel in terms of amenities and appearance. Rooms are big with comfortable beds, with nice view. Food is always good. The swimming pool is cozy and kid-friendly. They have a spa with reasonable prices. Live music, as this hotel is known for, is still its main attraction. There is live music by the pool and at the lounge. There is also a roofdeck bar with a very good view.

Now for the hiccups. First, they will charge you corkage fee of at least P500 when you bring in cooked food. We are a group of 17, 10 adults and 7 young kids. Our flight was delayed by 4 hours, and we thought of buying from KFC on our way to the hotel since we were all hungry just want to settle in the rooms and relax as soon as we can. We have stayed in many other different hotels locally and abroad, but we haven't experienced yet a hotel charging you for bringing in cooked food. So we were surprised by this policy, especially that they did not disclose this in their website or any other write-ups for their hotel. You will only be given this notice after checking-in. After some discussions, the manager allowed us to bring in the KFC food without charge on the condition that this will only be for this time.

Next issue, we paid for 7 Grand Deluxe Rooms through Agoda. Upon check-in we were given 5 Grand Deluxe Rooms only and 2 Deluxe. I know that these 2 are Deluxe only since it specifically states in their website that Grand Deluxe Rooms are from 19th to 21st floors, and Deluxe are from 8th to 18th. The 2 Deluxe initially given to us were on the 11th. With exhaustion creeping after the long-delayed flight, we just accepted the rooms without argue. When we were settling in the rooms, we have to request for one of the Deluxe Rooms to be transferred to the same floor as the other Grand Deluxe Rooms were since this will be occupied by kids. This was immediately granted by the Front Desk after we made our request. However, maybe a couple of hours after settling in, we realized that we can actually transfer the other Deluxe Room left with us since we actually paid for Grand Deluxe and not just Deluxe. So again we requested for the last one Deluxe Room to be transferred to an upper floor (Grand Deluxe floors), but this was denied with a reason that they have no more rooms left for these floors for that first night. We did not want to ruin our reunion/vacation and so we didn't bother to argue again with whoever was in the front desk, we just let it go. We just asked that they transfer this last Deluxe Room to a Grand Deluxe the next day, and this they granted. Transferring this room the next day was another story. Check out time was 12nn, but they were only able to transfer the last Deluxe Room around 4pm, and only after several follow-ups. I cannot understand this since, 1) We reserved and fully paid 7 Grand Deluxe Rooms 3 weeks in advance, and 2) I saw some rooms in my floor (21st floor) without guests during the first night, and on the 2nd day I even saw some guests checking out (they were carrying their bags out of the rooms).

Upon check-out, we were charged for an extra bed in one of the rooms for 2 nights which were not given . The Front Desk repeatedly asked me if there were a 3rd person in the room which may be the reason why we're charged an extra bed. I also repeatedly answered that that room only has 2 adults (a couple) with a 3-year old daughter. After several calls to housekeeping, the extra bed charge was cancelled.

It's really difficult to travel with a large group, and it will be more stressful if the hotel would give you more issues to think about. I frequently go to Cebu, and I want to try out many different hotels there. I just hope Marco Polo Cebu would re-evaluate some of their operational policies. I would commend some of the hotel staff though. Some, especially with their room service and housekeeping, really takes service to heart. Front Desk is more of a "needing improvement".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sedtravel
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear ShaleeD,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

First of all, thank you for taking time to write a review of your recent stay at our hotel property. We seriously value feedback from our guests, for it aids us in maintaining the Marco Polo brand of hospitality.

At this point, may we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that the experience at the check-in/check-out counter has brought you and the whole group. These operational issues that transpired have been looked into and have been addressed. We earnestly do our best to provide consistent and outstanding guest experience, both in products and facilities, as well as services.

Lastly, we thank you for commending our Room Service and Housekeeping Associates as well as the special mention on consistent good food, comfortable rooms, beautiful view, cozy and kid-friendly pool , live music entertainment and reasonable prices.

It is our hope to see you again in the future and we wish you the best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cebu City
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Harolds Hotel
Harolds Hotel
#3 of 89 in Cebu City

Been to Marco Polo Plaza Cebu? Share your experiences!