“Cebu's finest hotel”

Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Cebu's finest hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

A 5 star hotel that doesn't hurt your wallet. Stayed for 3 nights and we enjoyed our stay. Lovely location with a beautiful city view and cool breezy air.

What we love are:
* bed and pillows - so heavenly and will indeed give you a good night sleep
* water pressure is strong and water warms up fast but not too hot which I find an issue in other hotels
* food - Marco Polo somehow aced this one. Their buffet from breakfast to dinner is just terrific. El viento and ala carte meals are also good and prices are reasonable. I really loved their their truffle chocolate cake :)
* staff - very courteous and accommodating. Had no issues til I left earlier
* amenities - pool is great and gym has the things you will need already

Areas they can improve on:
* checkin - paying the very huge incidental fee. Caught me by surprise as I wasn't informed when my reservation was made online or when I called to confirm it. I dont want to use a credit card so I ended up walking to their atm to withdraw. Good thing it was just me checking in otherwise it would have been embarrassing.
* elevator - now this may seem funny but I didnt know how to use their card key when riding the elevator to my room. No one taught me and the instruction on the card and in the elevator is confusing. I wasn't alone as the next day on my way down a couple asked me why they can't press the 17th floor. Had to teach them how to use the key but it meant they need to ride along again going down. Marco should have someone assist clients who just arrived to avoid this confusion as it tends to be embarrassing sometimes.
* pool - I was alarmed to see no walls or anything that would guard children from probably falling down the cliff on the other side of the pool near the shower area. Yes there are lifeguards constantly watching but their eyes are not their all the time. Also the pool bed foam is itchy. They might want to use a waterproof foam as it dries easily and wont cause skin irritation.
- the pool is very cold even on a warm afternoon. Swimming at night will give you chills. Not sure why but maybe cause the hotel is situated how many feet above sea level. Also maybe change the lights of the pool to make it more lovely :)

* pool spectators - the nearby building being constructed, marco polo residences, have workers who use their free time to watch guest swimming. And its not just 1 or 2 but a lot. Marco polo owns that building so they should call the attention of these workers to respect the guest privacy
* gym - the gym instructor was just outside seating on the frontdesk. Which doesnt make sense. What's their use?
* Sauna - there is a P500 fee to use it. I was able to use both gym and sauna in other hotels so this definitely didn't make sense.

Sorry for the long review. Overall I enjoyed my stay in this 5 star hotel. Will definitely comeback soon!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dragonhulk
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear itsmechikoy,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for calling us “Cebu’s finest hotel” and spending time to share the good word through writing this review. It is an honor and an inspiration to all our associates. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay; from the comforts of our rooms and its amenities, to quality and reasonably priced buffet and ala carte dishes, amenities and the level of customer service extended by our associates.

At the same time, we appreciate the points that need to be reviewed which you have shared. We have looked into these points and are in action to aim improvement.

We look forward to see you again soon here at the Marco Polo Plaza!

Hans Hauri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a Deluxe room with a Continental add-on so my parents and I and one of my nephew will enjoy the staycation for my Birthday. Everyone was courteous and assisted in every the most polite manner. Crew-wise, Marco Polo is something awesome. The Hotel is undergoing major repairs and I cant wait for my next visit when the hotel is all re-madeup. =)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WaGne C
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear WaGne C,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for spending your birthday with the rest of your family here with us.Calling it 'Celebratory' is inspiring. Indeed, ‘staycation’ provides a wonderful time to bond with family members.

Thank you for your appreciation on the quality of our customer service. It is our priority to provide all our guests the unique Marco Polo Way of service as we aim for excellent hotel guest experience.

We equally look forward to see you again on that next trip.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Very nice hotel. I booked a Continental Club Room for me and my wife. The service was good over all. Check in at the upstairs club desk was a little bit of a headache because the manager wanted a big deposit in cash to cover any mini-bar usage since I refused to give her my credit card. I told her if I wanted something I would go one floor up to the Continental Club lounge where the drinks and food were free. I told her to remove all the mini bar items instead but she refused so I gave her the cash deposit. I asked for a city view club room, but was given a mountain view room. No big deal but not what I asked for.

The Continental Club room was the same size as a regular Marco Polo room and I was expecting something a bit bigger. The lobby, pool area and the club lounge were very clean and the regular staff all very attentive. The large bed was just heaven to sleep in. The duvet and mattress pad were very good quality and made all the difference.

One night while my wife and I were enjoying the food in the lounge they ran out of both pasta dishes they offered. I asked the female attendant if it was possible to refill those dishes. She said it would be no problem, but later when she spoke to the chef he balked. I watched while she explained things and the chef told her no over and over while my wife and I, along with a number of other club guests waited for things to be refilled. I enjoyed the small sandwiches and decadent deserts instead but future travellers should be aware of the cheap nature of the chef if they intend to book a club room.

Check out was done at the club desk and took a lot longer than I would have thought. It seems they had to check my mini bar (I never use mini bars) and that took 10 mins. Then the manager could not find my cash deposit that she insisted I give her a few days earlier. I got the feeling she wanted me to say keep it. I did no such thing, and 15mins later my deposit appeared.

Over all I had a good stay, but because of the issues with the chef and club manager I never went back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DaleJr08,

May you accept our apology for the unpleasant service that you have experienced during your stay at our hotel property.

The Front Office Manager at the time you stayed with us is no longer connected with our hotel. Further, additional training in customer service to our associates has been amplified recently. We would be happy to extend with you an upgrade to the Continental Club in your next visit so you will be able to experience the changes.

Thank you for letting us know of this incident and despite, giving us 4 stars grade. We hope to see you again here at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

After the Sojurn by the Sea (see review of Sea Turtle House) Mole had a disgustingly early flight back to Manila and decided to stay overnight in Cebu. We know the Marco Polo chain of old as being very good value for money and this was no exception. Everything one needed for a return to civilised society - nice bar, decent sized, very clean rooms, good amenities, first class service and extremely good value for money. An excellent business, conference and event hotel, although not one for vacationers as although there are outdoor facilities, it's a bit of a way from the City Centre and a LONG way from the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear PhileasMole,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for sharing a review about your stay at our hotel property. It warms our heart to note that you appreciate our brand of hospitality, immensely enjoying the facilities and products and most especially first class service and customer care. Indeed, it is good value for money.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Cebu!

Cheers!

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

the place is good. the rooms are clean and people are friendly. the ffod is great. we stayed there for 3 days on vacation tour in cebu. we ddi a lot like whaleshark snorkling,canyoning and diving in moalboal. its quite a long trip around 3 hours away form the city but its worth. we just hired a private guide from cebu exclusive holiday. the vacation was awesome!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Francesca W
Dear Francesca W,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience about your trip here in Cebu island. We are glad that you and your friends have chosen to stay with us, making us a part of this awesome vacation tour. Thank you for the good word and we look forward to see you again.

Cheers and warm regards all the way to Spain!

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

i have now been there a few times and recomend it to anyone the pool is large with lifeguards the food A+ plenty of choice and the service was top of the list they realy do look after you there ideal for family single couples bussiness may not be the cheapest but well worth it.

Room Tip: try to go for upgrade if staying a few weeks
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Johnny S
Dear Johnny S,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for sharing your experience while staying at our hotel through this Tripadvisor review. Nothing can be delightful than knowing our guests are happy of our brand of hospitality.

Our warm regards to you all the way to the UK! We look forward to see you on that next trip to Cebu!

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

A very comfortable and well appointed hotel with exceptional staff. We are very frequent visitors to this city, visiting from Australia at least twice a year for the past twenty years for business and to visit family. Our stays are not short normally around three to four weeks each visit so we really appreciate a hotel that makes us feel welcome and goes the extra mile for it's guests.
This hotel ticks all the boxes !
After 11years of staying in another downtown hotel we returned to the Plaza and are so happy we did. Thank you Hans and Genalyn for making us feel so welcome and making our stay memorable

A fantastic restaurant and bar on the 24th floor of the hotel called Blue Bar and Grill is a must to visit. Great food, wine and top service. Also the poolside restaurant and bar the Italian Vienetto where you will enjoy superb wood fired oven pizza and great service. Rooms are large, very comfortable with some magnificent views of the city and harbour.I could go on and on about the fantastic New Years Eve party with fireworks, the pool on the side of the mountain and the professional front desk staff but I will finish with a short thank you to the staff and see you soon !

Room Tip: Book a room on the city side on a high level for fantastic views of the city and harbour.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MichaelCiel
Dear MichaelCiel,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel during your vacation in Cebu. We feel very special to be part of your visit especially that it was in celebration of the Festive Season.

Thank you too for highly recommending our hotel property through writing a review here on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate for your finding time to share this experience online. Your sincere appreciation of our brand of customer relations, events management, food and beverage, facilities and amenities serve as a strong encouragement for all our associates to continue sharing the best to all our guests.

Our warmest regards to you and the whole family in Australia!

See you soon!

Harolds Hotel
Harolds Hotel
#3 of 87 in Cebu City
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Been to Marco Polo Plaza Cebu? Share your experiences!