“Very nice”

Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed here for a night just to see if we like it enough to stay for a week or 2 next year, answer . Yes we would return for a week. Staff are very courteous and attentive , food is good, populates is ok even though they have 3 condo blocks going up very close by, the hotel is in a good state of repair although some areas poolside need attention, we stayed on floor 18 which seems like it has been recently refurbished so ask for floors that have been updated whilst checking in, our room was very nice with a great view of the city and mactan

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear opaogooner,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

What a pleasure it is to note that we have made an impression on your stay at our hotel. Thank you for the good word and the early decision to come back next year for a longer stay. We are excited to see you again especially with the completion of the renovations, improvements and new facilities around the property.

Cheers to you both!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I think Marco Polo is by the far the best hotel I have stayed in Cebu to date. While it may not be fairly new (established in 2006), the hotel itself is well kept with a beautiful chandelier and clean carpeting. The surrounding area was full of flora and fauna as well as a spacious parking lot. The pool, albeit small, was indeed inviting in the scorching sun. While overall, the place looked opulent, it is not amiss of some disadvantages.

We arrived around 9AM on April 2. I requested our office admin to make sure that we be allowed early check-in. However, the place was full to the brim. We could not check in until after an hour or so. As such, we decided to leave our bags instead and head to Ayala Cebu for our mandatory trade check. We waited for 30 minutes to get a cab (we were third in queue and we missed the hotel shuttle to Ayala Mall). Sadly, it took us another 30 minutes to get to the mall (due to mid-morning traffic). As I told my admin, had I known it would take an hour or so to get anywhere, I would have opted to stay in Radisson Blu (except that it was too late to change hotels and that it was also fully booked when we were making arrangements). This long wait however happened only once during our 3d/2n stay as the succeeding travels in and around the city only took us 5 minutes or less to get a cab (thankfully!).

Notable to this hotel -- the security guards would stop the cabs to check and to remind the drivers to turn on the meter. They would also hand out complaint stubs that you could refer to should an erring driver come your way.

Once we were able to check in, we were welcomed by a spacious room (we stayed at 1808) with a mountain view (Cebu Tops not far away). The bed was a pleasure to sleep in but I didn't like the pillows as much since it tends to get flat after awhile of laying your head on it.

The bathroom was a bit tiny, with no shower doors. The free toiletries however really smelled good and were quite effective in doing the job.

Breakfast fare -- expansive enough. The selection ranged from American breakfast staples to Chinese dim sum to Japanese sushi to Filipino beef tapa . Coffee was really good as well. Special samplers of their coffee of the day (white choco mocha among others) were handed out for free as well. I found the fruit section though a bit wanting as there were no ripe mangoes. I found that a bit strange considering that Cebu is known for this produce.

Here's the thing -- since this place is a bit detached from the rest of Cebu, dining out might be tricky. There are good restaurants down the road (Anzani) if you want to walk a kilometre or two. Otherwise, you would really need to take a cab to get anywhere.

Overall however, I would recommend this hotel for relaxation purposes. I would love to try their spa the next time that I stay (although I think the prices are a bit steep) but if it would give me temporary tranquility, I would say, why not! =)

Room Tip: Get a room which overlooks the city and the bay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear mrscalara,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

What an honor to be branded as “A Jewel in this Queen City of the South”.

We thank you for spending time to write a detailed review of your stay experience at our hotel property and for recommending us especially in the area of relaxation. Indeed, your pleasant hospitality experience with the Marco Polo Way of service particularly in the area of security and other tips can help shape decisions to would-be-guests who are traveling for business or vacation seeking hotel accommodation in Cebu.

Truly, we are delighted that your first stay experience is excellent and we look forward to your next stay here at the Marco Polo Plaza.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Had a great 6 days at the Marco Polo which I stayed in on a special promo deal of 2000peso a night without breakfast - check in was effortless with concierge and all staff service excellent from the moment of walking through the entrance to the hotel. Great looking lobby with a nice relaxing bar area which played live music every evening. Room was very spacious and catered for space for my work with a large desk area. Bathroom was very big with a nice walk in shower that had a large shower head but the temperature was a bit hard to get right, it was either scalding hot or cold.
Beds were very big and comfortable and TV had plenty of channels which were all tuned in correctly, housekeeping were very attentive and happy to help with additional items when requested, I particularly like the 3in1 Nescafé coffee sachets in the room,tasted much better than some of the hotels I have stayed in with its cheap branded coffee.
Pool area was good and the pool was pretty large and the decor was very nice, I ate in the blue bar restaurant on the roof which was a good experience, not very cheap but the location made up for that - I also dined in the main buffet restaurant which was very nice, love the Australian wine from Margaret River wineries which is an area I have also visited which I could appreciate.
So altogether great located up On the hill above the city - was out of town slightly but a free shuttle service departs every 2 hrs for a short 10 minute ride into the main shopping mall.
Altogether a great stay and a hotel which offered everything I would expect.

Room Tip: Either a city view or mountain view is good option as they both offer different aspects of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Simonmac37,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

First of all, we thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel property for a good six days and of course for taking time to write a detailed review about it. We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant over all stay experience. Thank you too for sharing emphasis on how we address our location by providing free shuttle to and from the business district, at the same time appreciating how our unique location affords fantastic view of the city and the mountains side.

Cheers to more visits to Cebu! You have a home at the Marco Polo Plaza.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have sung the praises of this hotel before on Tripadvisor, and following a recent stay I reiterate all I said previously. There pervades a lovely atmosphere throughout the hotel, and all staff are courteous, friendly and very helpful; nothing it seems is too much trouble. I am always made to feel at home and welcome.
The location, which seems to receive most attention from reviews, is first class. The hotel is a short ride from the financial, commercial and shopping centres of Cebu city. This is a plus as it's quiet. It's elevated position is also an attraction, especially for the views from the rooms and the roof top Blue Bar. The hotel operates a regular shuttle bus service to the major malls, and it doesn't take long to get to and from the hotel.
The Blue Bar, which is actually a bar and restaurant, is well worth a visit and the food is first class. The menu includes a la carte, as do other restaurants in the hotel.
A tip; be careful to explain how you like your food, and how you like it served. It seems Filipinos are not as discerning as westerners about their food. For example, a salad or similar served with dressing, may arrive swamped in dressing; I always ask for the dressing on the side. I like my hot food served on a hot plate, not a cold plate as seems the custom throughout the Philippines. I always ask for a hot plate and it arrives hot. At the Marco Polo you get what you ask for, if you don't ask it will arrive as the hotel is used to serving it, and I always find the staff respond very positively and are keen to offer first class customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Richard187062,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for taking time to share a review of your overall experience at our hotel. Writing it in detail shall serve a clear perspective to those seeking to know more about guest experiences here at the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu. Thank you too for the tips and for appreciating how our Food and Beverage Associates responded to your particular requests, as well as the quality of dishes that we serve. And, for all the other aspects of our operations that you mentioned, a declaration of your appreciation of the quality of our products and services. We are even more inspired to give our guests the best.

We look forward to see you on that next trip.
You have a home in Cebu here at the Marco Polo Plaza.

Cheers!

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I like the location of because it has a nice view of the city and it is run with a more personal touch than its competitors. I wish they would have a signature restaurant other than the buffet and the pool areas, but I would still recommend this to all my visitors when they come.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank gigibrugado

Dear gigibrugado,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

It's our pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your recommendation to be shared to your visitors. Writing a review here on Tripadvisor is already a major recommendation.

Our location and how it provides that beautiful and unique view of Cebu City are premiums we are grateful about. Thank you for helping us spread the good word.

We look forward to see you again and we hope that on that next stay, you can also dine at our Blu Bar and Grill located at the penthouse, a thousand feet above sea level and named as one of Tattler Philippines’ Top 5 Best Restaurants in 2012.

Cheers!

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

A 5 star hotel that doesn't hurt your wallet. Stayed for 3 nights and we enjoyed our stay. Lovely location with a beautiful city view and cool breezy air.

What we love are:
* bed and pillows - so heavenly and will indeed give you a good night sleep
* water pressure is strong and water warms up fast but not too hot which I find an issue in other hotels
* food - Marco Polo somehow aced this one. Their buffet from breakfast to dinner is just terrific. El viento and ala carte meals are also good and prices are reasonable. I really loved their their truffle chocolate cake :)
* staff - very courteous and accommodating. Had no issues til I left earlier
* amenities - pool is great and gym has the things you will need already

Areas they can improve on:
* checkin - paying the very huge incidental fee. Caught me by surprise as I wasn't informed when my reservation was made online or when I called to confirm it. I dont want to use a credit card so I ended up walking to their atm to withdraw. Good thing it was just me checking in otherwise it would have been embarrassing.
* elevator - now this may seem funny but I didnt know how to use their card key when riding the elevator to my room. No one taught me and the instruction on the card and in the elevator is confusing. I wasn't alone as the next day on my way down a couple asked me why they can't press the 17th floor. Had to teach them how to use the key but it meant they need to ride along again going down. Marco should have someone assist clients who just arrived to avoid this confusion as it tends to be embarrassing sometimes.
* pool - I was alarmed to see no walls or anything that would guard children from probably falling down the cliff on the other side of the pool near the shower area. Yes there are lifeguards constantly watching but their eyes are not their all the time. Also the pool bed foam is itchy. They might want to use a waterproof foam as it dries easily and wont cause skin irritation.
- the pool is very cold even on a warm afternoon. Swimming at night will give you chills. Not sure why but maybe cause the hotel is situated how many feet above sea level. Also maybe change the lights of the pool to make it more lovely :)

* pool spectators - the nearby building being constructed, marco polo residences, have workers who use their free time to watch guest swimming. And its not just 1 or 2 but a lot. Marco polo owns that building so they should call the attention of these workers to respect the guest privacy
* gym - the gym instructor was just outside seating on the frontdesk. Which doesnt make sense. What's their use?
* Sauna - there is a P500 fee to use it. I was able to use both gym and sauna in other hotels so this definitely didn't make sense.

Sorry for the long review. Overall I enjoyed my stay in this 5 star hotel. Will definitely comeback soon!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank dragonhulk

Dear itsmechikoy,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for calling us “Cebu’s finest hotel” and spending time to share the good word through writing this review. It is an honor and an inspiration to all our associates. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay; from the comforts of our rooms and its amenities, to quality and reasonably priced buffet and ala carte dishes, amenities and the level of customer service extended by our associates.

At the same time, we appreciate the points that need to be reviewed which you have shared. We have looked into these points and are in action to aim improvement.

We look forward to see you again soon here at the Marco Polo Plaza!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a Deluxe room with a Continental add-on so my parents and I and one of my nephew will enjoy the staycation for my Birthday. Everyone was courteous and assisted in every the most polite manner. Crew-wise, Marco Polo is something awesome. The Hotel is undergoing major repairs and I cant wait for my next visit when the hotel is all re-madeup. =)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WaGne C

Dear WaGne C,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for spending your birthday with the rest of your family here with us.Calling it 'Celebratory' is inspiring. Indeed, ‘staycation’ provides a wonderful time to bond with family members.

Thank you for your appreciation on the quality of our customer service. It is our priority to provide all our guests the unique Marco Polo Way of service as we aim for excellent hotel guest experience.

We equally look forward to see you again on that next trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cebu City
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Best Western Plus Lex Cebu
Best Western Plus Lex Cebu
#6 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Marco Polo Plaza Cebu? Share your experiences!