“Glad to be back” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Mindanao, Philippines
“Glad to be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have not stayed at the St. Moritz in many years. I is in the processing finishing major renovations to bring it up to speed. There are MANY hotels in Cebu in this price range - and cheaper: Cebu R, Tunes, Mayflower, and so on. Then why stay here? The rooms are large and divided into a sitting area and a sleeping area. Also there is a nice space for outdoor tables so that the rooms do not seem to close in on you. In the other low-cost hotels, there is no place to just sit and read and relax. At the St. Moritz there are several. The restaurant is good (but poor club sandwich) and the coffee is superb.

Drawbacks: as other reviewers have written, the squatter area in front is a real downer. Also, many taxis don't know of this hotel. This latter problem can be reduced by directing the taxi to Tunes Hotel near Ayala Center and then have it continue down the street (or turn sooner depending which direction you are coming from).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Don L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Temecula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I first stayed at this Hotel in 1985 and have always stayed here when in Cebu. I have stayed here about 50+ times over the years and always come back. Amazingly enough the place hasn't changed at all since 1985 and is still clean and cozy. The standard rooms are plenty large with great beds. The rates are still very affordable. The only down side is that the neighborhood has declined over the years, this is not the fault of the Hotel however, and I have never been pestered by the "squatters" in the area other reviewers seem so concerned about. I have walked to Ayala Mall many times at night from this Hotel. And if you don't want to walk there is always at least 2-3 Taxis parked next to the Hotel. The on-site Restaurant is Very good and cheap. They have a really fun Bar for single men I might add....There is also a courtyard with a bar which is very cozy and a great place to relax at any time. I highly recommend this very friendly, comfortable place. It is operated by Swiss owners and they welcome guests warmly!!

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if you can, those rooms are not only cheaper, but more quiet, just DO NOT stay above t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Russell D
Dumaguete City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have stayed there many times over the years. While old and in shabby neighborhood
I still prefer it to the other hotels. Have parking off the street so is nice when I drive there. The staff knows me by name and quite friendly. Walking distance to Ayala Mall which is handy. Not much else to say the food is good the bed huge and the bar is in the hotel but I have never heard the music in my rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick M
India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was where we were bringing in my husband’s birthday and so we booked here as they were supposed to have big spacious rooms. Unfortunately when we arrived, we were both suffering from food poisoning and body aches due to cliff jumping in boracay and were really looking forward to resting here.

The room directly above the one allotted to us was undergoing renovation work including flooring and surely we did not want to stay in a noisy room. We checked out a couple of other rooms but preferred the first one minus the noise. While we were still deciding on what to do, the receptionist Linda said they would stop the work if the room below was occupied and would not work if the guests were in the room. Convinced we checked in.

Alas, early next morning it was all bang bang bang!!! We were too tired to get up and complain immediately but when my husband asked her later she had a sheepy smile on her face! This meant that she tricked us…we had only one more night to go with an early morning flight so it was obviously not worth checking into another hotel especially in the condition we were in. On top of it, the room was not cleaned! We may have not put the ‘make my room’ sign on the door but the ‘do not disturb’ sign that we did put up did not work either.

Also, the coffee shop/pub where the breakfast is served is right outside the room and was noisy again. So if it is unavoidable that you have to stay here at least opt for the upper floor rooms.

The evening receptionist (I forgot her name) was quite helpful.

There are squatters on the approach to the hotel which we knew from the various reviews here. We also knew there is a security guy at the gate who locks it in the evening. However, we found him asleep outside when we arrived around midnight and a pregnant receptionist on night duty…did not feel very secure after that.

Room Tip: Don't recommend the hotel after our bad experience
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank worldiscoverer

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

honolulu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

I stayed here a couple of nights in October and I went for the suite above the lobby....I must say that is one big room for the price...My friend had the regular room and it was also a very big size....yes beds were very comfortable and AC worked great...could not get the tv cable to work and the staff could not figure it our either but wireless internet worked great so I did not care.

Did not try the restaurant but the bar has some dancers available if you need some entertainment for yourself.

My room overlooked the front dirt road and I must say the squatters living in the tin roof shake across the street was not my favorite thing to view in the morning.

You pretty much want to taxi where ever you go from the hotel as walking looks a little scary.

Overall it was ok, I moved to another hotel after that which i could walk to nice places to eat and a supermarket and enjoyed that more.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank beautiful-looser
Brussels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2010

Well, we checked the room before we decided to stay here (because of the pictures published here in tripadvisor...). Our room is clean and large as you can find it on the homepage of this hotel. Breakfast and lunch is quite good, so we enjoyed prawn and squid. Breakfast is served optionally with dark or white bread in good quality. There is a bank very nearby to walk to in only one minute and the very friendly guard came with me across some meters of squatter area to this bank so that I felt very save to withdraw cash with my debetcard. There is also a mall nearby where we walked, but the moneychanger there has not such a good rate as we found at the Fuente Osmena nearby Robinson's where we needed to go by taxi. We also had WLAN access in our room. The shower provided hot and cold water. And it is very correct what one guest commented here at tripadvisor: This hotel has very good matrasses! I could sleep very fine after 30 hours of flight travel to this place. I had a wonderful time here with my girlfriend. On Friday night and Saturday night the bar might be a bit loud and noisy but well ... this is not the cemetery here but a social place and some people like bars and music and drinking a lot. The staff is super helpful so that I received best advices on request. I can recommend this hotel for normal people who need to find a good place with reasonable room rate, good restaurant and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Goddiejens
dumaguete
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

We are frequent travellers to Cebu for both business and pleasure. Last weekend we decided to try a different hotel in a new location.

Were we pleasantly surprised! The St Moritz is located off a main street, about 100M into a shabby neighbourhood. Don't be deterred. It's well guarded and securely in its layout.

Our room was on the ground floor, across an inviting patio (where we took breakfast and coffee) from an excellent restaurant. The room had all the amenities listed on the hotel's web page and they all worked. Oh yes, here's the link:

The staff, each one of them was accommodating, pleasant and helpful. The St Moritz represents an excellent value for the money paid. We even bought the T-shirt!

We have already reserved a room for our next trip.

2 Thank davfitz