“If renovated, could be nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Mercedes

Hotel de Mercedes
Ranked #59 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Pattaya, Thailand
“If renovated, could be nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed here in 2011. In 2012, I stayed at the Cebu Business Hotel and wrote a review.

While walking by the hotel in 2012, I noticed that some part of the lobby had been renovated. Although I didn't go in, if this hotel gets a well-deserved renovation, it will be a nice hotel.

My room was LARGE ... in fact, it was at least 2 times the size of my CBH room. And that alone would make me reconsider staying at the Mercedes.

The mattress was old and lumpy, pillows were beat to death in another century.

The staff was friendly, and provided me with a LOWER rate than I had agreed to via email. That was a unique touch that I never forgot.

The location is very close to the corner of Osmena and Colon. There are a few internet shops, small sari-sari (convenience) stores, and a few other things nearby.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was at the Mercedes Hotel several years ago as I stopped to see a friend. It had old furniture and the beds were saggy and bad for a traveler's back. Oddly enough the showers were generally okay. But, when I came back in that evening, I was surprised that probably one of the the cleaning crew (it was a male crew) had used my nice, clean, high-tech razor. I could tell as it had not been cleaned very well and the hair was dark and thick in the razor. At night, if you wanted to go to bed before 1:00 a.m., it was rough to get to sleep as an in-hotel band played on and on. The only thing that I can say discreetly was that I was able to get a pretty good massage at the time, although I had to convince the (female) masseuse that I really DID ONLY want a massage and nothing special. But, the massage helped me get to sleep. The hotel is by the Carbon Market, which when I first saw it at night at 10:00 p.m., I thought it was the entrance to Hell, it was so depressing a place. The hotel beakfast was so-so with nothing special in my mind, although I ate the ham and eggs and toast, since I was thin and hungry. The staff was generally polite to me and called me "Boss", something which I don' necessarily like, but I will take that call compareed to a lot of other names. There were people who did refer to me as "Sir", to be sure. I think that there are better places to stay in Cebu City, but if you are on a low budget, you might have to think about staying there. Again, it near some of the dicey and rough spots in Cebu, so expect to see a part of human nature that is at its worst.

Room Tip: Always insist that there has to be a better supierior room than deluxe, which is just two single bed...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Mildmanneredman

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

WAYLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

Staff was friendly. Good restaurant. Internet available. Beds were large and seemed worn out but were comfortable nonetheless. Nearby nightclub and barking dog could get annoying. Good room service. At $20 a night for a big room it was a nice place. Friendly staff really made the stay comfortable.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thomaspaine
calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

If you like to rough it on a scale of camping and want cheap then stay here.
Lots of bugs in the rooms, little unknown guys, misquitos and cockroaches dwell here.

I had a delux room for 1 night. The bed sheets were ancient with many holes. The bed was substandard, the room was delipated with crusty stuff on the shower and sink.
The TV did not work. Rundown airconditioning and non at all in the lobby.
No internet.
The night clerk wanted many many pesos to bring a quest in past 9pm.

One day roughing it here was plenty for me.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alohaal
Northern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

This is a budget hotel located downtown. I didn't expect "the Ritz" but this one was bad even by "budget" standards. The bathroom was grimey, there was no towels (I had to request them from housekeeping), and there was no hot water. (I later discovered the hot water had been turned off under the sink. I turned it back on.) The staff were either poorly trained or just unenthusiastic to the max (giving them undeserved tips improved the quality of the service a little). The simple restaurant food was way overpriced, overcooked, and tasteless. Oh, and did I mention that that there was a tatoo parlour opening off of the lobby? The only positive thing that I can say is that my room was amazingly large and well furnished. I suspect that this use to be a nice hotel but has been allowed to deteriorate.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank lindamae10
Pakuranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

Just 2 nights at the Diplomat at end of my Trip. Was clean an comfortable, service ok. Hotel needs money spent on makeover - looking old, but very clean. Security presence and Hotel safe available for travel docs like Passport/Cash/Air tickets etc. Staff were polite and professional

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank the2ndhasapulse
namsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

I was in the Mercedes for about 15 times last 2 years. I like it because I want to live between the locals. If you want to sit between locals forget the dollar priced hotels (aimed at foreighners) and look for max 1000 Pesos hotels like locals do. The Ausie who states "stay away" - I had wors hotels in Australie (Darwin/Melboarne) for 100AUD!.
Indeed,a hotel with local standards, just a little water out of the shower and if you are lucky its warm water. The "Disco" outsite (on the south) is just another Bikini Bar which you will not hear if you turn on the Aircon. Cockroaches walk on the street (Visayas is a dirty area) and if they are in the room thet come along quick to cath them. But Hey, its the nicest City and Hotel if you Like 24 hours Pinoy life. If you are freindly smilling Colon is the safest area. Most tourist stay in the Fuente Osmena area which is dead (and unsafe) at night. If you want absolutely nothing to do with the Philipine life hop indeed in a resort at Mactan Island (15 mile from Dowtown Cebu), stay in good/cheap aircon taxis, go to aircom Malls and Aircon Bars/Clubs. If you can handle FUN the Pinoy way (thats just look to the good things in life) stay at Mercedes in Colon(= downtown Cebu)

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia
USDA Dormitory Hotel
USDA Dormitory Hotel
#45 of 322 in Cebu Island

Been to Hotel de Mercedes? Share your experiences!