“HORRIBLE HOTEL, AVOID AT ALL COST !!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Regency Hotel & Towers

Crown Regency Hotel & Towers
Ranked #72 of 87 Hotels in Cebu City
Highland Heights, Ohio
“HORRIBLE HOTEL, AVOID AT ALL COST !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Crown Regency Towers Hotel: OMG !!! We hated this place from the very beginning!!!

No Security/inattentive bellman: After being treated like royalty at the Marriott and at Maribago Beach Resort durring the first two legs of my Cebu visit, we arrive by taxi to the Crown and were met by a total lack of security and lack of special treatment. Our taxi driver pulled into the drop-off driveway and stopped by the security guard there. The guard looked at him as though he was crazy, so the taxi driver continued driving past him to the inside lobby entrance. There was no bellman waiting by the door. Our taxi man unloaded our luggage from his vehicle. It wasn’t until I walked inside that a bellman noticed our arrival and then brought our luggage inside.

Inattentive check in staff: No one said “Welcome to the Crown”. I walked to the check-in desk and was never acknowledged. I stood there forever, until 3 people were checked out. While standing there I noticed bad attitude coming from one of the three receptionists and directed toward the other two. Then finally one of the ladies looked up and said, “May I help you”. So I check-in and received my room key card.

Inattentive bellman part 2: The bellman was not ready to go with our luggage, I had to actually signal to him. We followed him to the elevator and the only conversation we had with him was when he asked for our room number and key card to activiate the elevator. We entered our room and he unloaded our luggage inside the door. He didn’t even offer to place our luggage on the luggage table there. I did that myself later. He never gave us a tour of the room to explain how things operated. Luckily I tried to turn on the room lights before he left, because the lights were activated by plugging your key card into a slotted wall switch by the door. He actually demonstrated this to me when I asked him how to activate the lights. He didn’t say anything, he just took the key card and placed it into the slotted switch and like magic the lights turned on. I felt bad tipping him, but I did, and he was out the door.

No room tour: So we were abandoned to explore the room functions on our own. The lack of special treatment that we were so used to was a big let down. As we explored the room, we jokingly said to each other, “Good morning Ma’am, Good morning Sir” since we were missing the royal treatment now that we were here at the Crown. We learned the hard way that when we left the room and pulled the key-card out of the power slot, the lights and the air-con turned off. So the room would not maintain the set temperature level.

The room safe in the closet worked fine, however, is was on the very bottom of the closet and too close to the floor. To access it, I had to get on my knees to punch in the code. This would not have been good for elderly guest with bad knees.

Our TV worked, however, every channel was fuzzy or it had ghost images of other channels drifting in the back ground. We only had a clear picture on a few channels, but not until later in the evening.

The door to our room slammed very hard every time we left our room. I tried to remember to hold on to it and ease it to closure, but I would usually forget. I’m sure it disturbed others on our floor.

The bathroom threshold is unusually high, about ¾ of an inch elevated from the floor. When you walk out of the bathroom, be very careful or you might stub your toe and fall forward.

No face clothes in the bathroom. I have never stayed at a hotel that did not provide 12 inch by 12 inch face clothes for bathing. I called house keeping and it seemed that they did not understand what I was requesting. They sent someone up with floor mats and hand towels. I tried to explain to the lady that I needed face clothes, or “wash clothes”, I told her 12 by 12 and made an outline of a square with my fingers to demonstrate. She told me that they do not supply them here. I do not understand why the Crown would expect their guest to wash with a big rectangular hand towels in the shower. This size towel gets heavy when wet. And I am sure that it takes more time and energy to launder hand towels than it would to launder face clothes. That is just plain stupid.

The Tub Mat slips, so make sure you press it down hard to apply the suction to the tub, before you step into the shower. And also after you firmly apply the tub mat, you will notice that you will have no hot water. Day one of our stay we had hot water to shower, but the remaining 3 days of our stay we had to shower without hot water. It was not ice cold, but way too cool and very uncomfortable to shower; I was so angry and disappointed especially after all the other bad experiences at the Crown.

The swimming pool was just as cold as the shower water. It was so cold that swimming there was just too uncomfortable for us. It took us several minutes to adjust and get in the water, and after one lap we left and went back to our room. Swimming there was just bad, we were very disappointed and hated the pool.

Under the TV, inside the cabinet you will find a non-working refrigerator. It was unplugged and did not contain any water or other refreshments.

No outlet adapters. I had a power converter with me, however, the outlets in our room did not accept the round plug prongs only the flat prongs like the ones here in the U.S. In the room manual, it states that power convertors were available by contacting house keeping. I called house keeping and ordered a convertor. We waited in our room, and ten minutes later received a return call to inform us that there were no power convertors available for use. I then went to Robinson’s Mall and purchased an adapter at Handyman Home Center for 25 pesos.

Power outage on the elevator took place on day 1 and again on day 2. We were on the elevator going up to our floor and luckily it stopped on a floor to let someone off just as the power ceased in the building. The doors were open, so we exited and headed for the stairwell. Day 2 the power ceased again while we were on the elevator. This time the doors were not open and the elevator dropped what seemed to be two feet. The darkened elevator slowly descended down about 6 floors, then opened. We had to step up about 8 inches to exit, but at least we were not closed in. Each time the power returned within five minutes, but these episodes just added to the total pain and suffering we experienced at the Crown; with more to come…read on.

After returning from Robinson’s Mall and our other adventures, many times we found no front doorman at the front door to open it and welcome us. Such a courtesy seemed standard at the Marriott. And with no front doorman meant no security there to check persons entering. And remember, with the Sky Coaster and Sky Walk on the roof being open to the public, anyone not a guest at the Crown could still access the hotel at anytime during open hours.

Ok lets move on to the food. Sorry, but the restaurants were also bad as well as mostly everything else at the Crown. We ate at Mr. Grill on the 21st floor. The place is open air, meaning there are no windows, only wide fencing to keep people from possibly jumping off the edge. And while we were there, we could here all the construction going on in the building across the street. We ordered the buffet, however, we found nothing but raw meat in the buffet silver containers. We learned that you place the raw meat on a plate and give it to the person at the grill who will then grill it for you. It appeared that they were trying to conserve food, as not much of a selection and quantity was found. Then while waiting for our food to be grilled, I experienced bad bar service.

Our waiter was not available after he seated us. I went up to the bar to place our drink order, only to observe the bartender to then begin to mop the floor instead of preparing our drinks. Maybe he felt it was more important to mop up the water accumulating on the floor due to the heavy leak from the ceiling as it was raining at that time. We did not receive our drinks until I had to walk over to our waiter and tell him about it. And after receiving our drinks, neither the waiter nor the bartender ever returned to ask if we needed another round.

Ok, onto the terrible method of payment, after we ate the crappy food we never received our bill. So I walked over to the cashier to tell her we wanted to leave. She motioned for our waiter to come over and she began to ring up our bill, at least that is what I thought. She then handed me a bill for the drinks only and instructed me to follow the waiter down to the 19th floor to pay the bill there. I thought this was stupid and very odd, but we followed the waiter to the 19th floor to a reception counter there. The lady at the counter conferred with the waiter, then told me what my bill was, handed me a receipt that she tallied, and I paid it in cash. I even regretfully tipped the waiter and we left for our room. Well about 2 hours later I receive a call to my room from the front desk. They informed me that I had not paid my bill from Mr. Grill and that there was a mix up. They further stated that the waiter and bar clerk would be arriving at my room. They both arrived shortly after the call. The clerk informed me that I had not paid the bar bill, she was nice about it, however I told her that I followed the waiter down to the 19th floor as she directed me to, and I paid the bill. She stated that the bar bill was separate from the food bill and that it was not tallied together. She was not blaming me for any wrong doing, she was just stating that it was a mix up and that the waiter failed to make it clear that there were two bills needing payment while there on the 19th floor. This was not a big problem to resolve here at my room door, but once again this incident just added to the pain & suffering accumulated already here at the Crown. And although receiving bad service there, we ended up at Mr. Grill again just for drinks.

It was raining outside and we didn’t want to leave, and we had my fiancé’s sister and brother with us. So we decided to go to Mr. Grill’s to play cards and drink. The card game was fun, but every time we needed a round of drinks, I had to get up and walk to the bar to order. It was not busy there at all, but the bartender would never check on us. It rained again that night and he was mopping the floor constantly, but mopping the floor was not bringing in money to the place or getting him tips. He should have been more focused on customers.

Yes, it gets worse; the room service was just stupid. We checked the room menu and of the four desserts listed, we called and ordered two of them with coffee. We waited, but later only received a call to inform us that the only item available was the chocolate cake. I don’t understand how a hotel of this capacity would allow itself to be so unprepared and lack the availability of menu items. Moving right along, our chocolate cake order was delivered with our coffee, I signed for it and tipped our waiter. Yes, it was GOOD! Wow a positive note finally, but it is about to crash here again. Three hours later I receive a call to my room telling me that I had not paid for my room service. OMG!!! I tell the caller that I signed for the order and to just charge it to my room. I was then informed that they could not charge it to my room and that the waiter would return for the cash. I began to laugh just to keep from getting angry. The waiter arrived and I paid the $540 pesos. The next day I went to the front desk to find out why my order could not be charged to my room. I was informed that there was no credit card on file for my account. I could have given them my credit card right then for future orders, but I was totally done with this hotel. And I remember giving the receptionist my card upon check-in and placing it back into my wallet when she handed it back to me. She forgot to swipe it or what ever she needed to do to assign it to my room. And as a security measure, I wonder why they would not demand that I produce a credit card once they found out that none was on file. Or at least explain that to me when they called my room to demand payment for my room service order. Pure stupidity on their part. And on top of that, we used the laundry service at the hotel. The laundry was picked up, cleaned and returned to our room with no complaints. But get this, the laundry bill was on file upon my check out. I paid it with no problem, so why did they allow this bill to post to my account and not the other service charges. Crazy isn’t it !

The breakfast buffet was included each morning with my reservation. Before I review the food, I will tell you about what I experienced on day 2 of our entry into the buffet dinning room. My fiancé and I both checked in together at the hotel with our passports. We received one breakfast buffet coupon for each day of our stay. The coupon did not have a total number of guests on the receipt, only a date individually for each day of our stay. So on day 2, we enter the restaurant and I hand the receptionist our coupon just like I had done on day 1. Instead of a “please be seated”, she takes a hard look at my Filipina fiancé, frowns, and says “wait”. She then turned and appeared to be looking for a supervisor, and luckily one was walking up right behind her. I couldn’t here what she was saying to him as she showed him the coupon. But I observed him shaking his head and I heard him respond to her by saying “No it is ok, ….don’t worry about it…” The only reason I did not create a scene about this is because I did not want to upset my fiancé, and I just wanted to have breakfast and get out of the hotel and have a great day. But I suspect that the idiot waitress thought that my fiancé was some chick that I had picked up and perhaps brought there to scam the Crown out of a free breakfast. That is what ran through my mind based on what I observed of her actions. I hate the Crown.

Now for the breakfast buffet food review, I will not slam them here in the food category just because of all the other bad experiences. But I will describe their food by saying, “Not as good as the Marriott or Maribago Beach Resort Breakfast Buffet”. Of our four day stay, we ate at the buffet only three times. On one occasion they did not serve pineapple as a fresh fruit. This is not a big deal, but we like pineapple and there was always plenty at the other two hotels. On one other occasion, although on a hot plate, the chicken served for breakfast was cold. On one other occasion the waiter never brought our coffee before we finished eating. And on another occasion we did not receive our coffee, and only received it when another guest got up and went to find a manager to complain about not receiving his coffee. Well the manager served both our tables, however, he explained to me in a nice way that if I need more coffee to just get his attention. Wait a minute! I am on vacation here; I should not have to summon anyone’s attention. “I” am the guest at this hotel; it is the staff who should be attentive to insuring that “my” needs are met.

One good thing, we rode the sky coaster and had a nice time. I am happy that the sky coaster and the other entertainment there is accessible without having to be a guest at this horrible hotel. Also, one other good thing; There is a Starbucks connected to the front lobby of this hotel. The Starbucks has excellent service. We purchased coffee and desert there to avoid room service. Two hot mochas and one cheesecake was $350 pesos (Oct. 2010) Avoid staying at this hotel at all cost. I tried to cancel my reservation and return to either the Marriott or Maribago, but I booked the Crown through Expedia and I would not receive any refund at all. I will never stay at this hotel again, it is horrible!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Flynster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

What a disappointment this leg of our honeymoon turned out to be, and then to find that the hotel was so very average was truly disappointing.

I have stayed in other hotels in the Philippines before but this was my first time in Cebu so maybe my perception of it all is a bit skewed. First of all, I think there is another hotel of the same name which is on Mactan Island, so perhaps that one is better. We stayed in the Hotel & Towers in Cebu City. Do not stay here - it's sad.

The room was clean but devoid of the amenities you would expect to find in a normal hotel room - there was a fridge but nothing in it (what was the point of installing that?) - sorry you do get 2 complimentary bottles of water every day; the menu for room service was really average - you're better off ducking to the McDonalds or Jollibee which is 1 minute down the road; there is no safe - do not leave your valuables unattended, please lock them in your suitcase with a massive, non-tamperable padlock; the "cable" television really only had one channel which was worth watching - National Geo, there were about 5 religious channels which by the end of our stay here, we truly believed we HAD gone to hell.

The rooms are cleaned daily and to be fair we did have a great view of Mactan Island - which is where we should have been. The hotel has a "Starbucks" attached to it which was one saving grace. Breakfast was reasonable - stick to the pancakes. Don't get Concierge to organise a taxi for you, you will be ripped off as we discovered when we were leaving to go to the airport. Just hail a taxi from the front of the hotel yourself - try to be astute when choosing a taxi, try to choose one that is a newer model car, we found that the drivers in these taxi's almost always used the meters.

We also got sick of everyone calling us "Sir & Ma'am" everytime we saw anyone who had anything to do with the Hotel. The gym facilities are pretty average with the treadmills (walking machine) being out of commission and the weights, well, let's just say you're better off lifting your suitcases above your head. If you want to go the Tower Salon (hair, nails etc) book your appointment 2-3 days before you want your appointment - they get really really busy otherwise, there is a pedi/mani and a legitimate massage place next to "The National Bookstore" on General Maxilom Avenue.

The staff are polite but not helpful, not because they don't want to help but because they don't know how to help. Make sure if you decide to eat at the buffet restaurant that you go well before 8pm. We paid for our tickets to eat there on the 19th floor at (I think) 9:20pm and only when we were actually in the restaurant, were we told we had like 30 minutes to choose our dinner & dessert and then get the hell out of there. But the waitstaff in the restaurant did advise us nicely. Also if you sit in the restaurant, sit next to the windows as you can see the people doing the "Skywalk" watching you have dinner, watching them walking. If you're scared of heights, do not eat at this restaurant.

We also ate at Kotie's - Japanese restaurant. We were the only people there that night but Rudy, our waiter was tops! He rocked & was the most helpful person.

There's another restaurant in the hotel that does mixed grilled stuff, don't bother going up there, the menu is terrible. There's also a Chinese restaurant but ended up dining out.

There is free wireless available on the 19th floor - there's a large sitting area between Tower & Tower 2, so you can sit there with your laptop without too much annoyance - best to sit there about 10pm as everyone's usually in their rooms.

The hotel also has a metal detector (for guns etc) at the entrance which becomes really freaking annoying if you stay there for more than one night because you constantly have to walk through it and it's constantly going off. Tip: Go through the Starbucks - you can enter Starbucks from the street then walk through the door which takes you straight into the hotel thus by-passing the stupid metal detector. Actually, if you go through the detector and it goes off, it doesn't matter because the "security guard" just lets you walk through anyway.

Just stay somewhere else ... where you can relax ... maybe stay at The Shangri-La where we went for a day and thoroughly enjoyed their facilities (if you get a Day Pass to the Shangri-La it costs P5000 for 2 people but you also get a freaking unreal buffet lunch & use of all the amenities.

All I can say is that we should've just returned to Boracay which was original plan. Go there instead.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sydneywebshopper
Reykajvik
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

I just feel I should warn fellow travelers so they can spend their hard earned money more wisely than on this awful hotel. The rooms are pretty ok but everything else has proven utterly annoying. If you use the pool or want to go to some of the bars there is always and fee and service wise this is the purgatory of customer relations. The surrounding hotels seem much better so be kind to yourself and stay away.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank olafurth

Travellers are raving about these Cebu City hotels

Bamako
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I stayed at Crown Regency for about two weeks on a business trip. The hotel exceeded my expectations, and I considered it very good value for the price (about $80/night booked on their website). It had a lot of positives:

- Good quality room
- Excellent view over city and Mactan
- No intrusive noise or sounds from other rooms
- Good breakfast, although a bit more variety would be welcome
- Good location, if you have business in Cebu City
- Safe/secure feeling without being overbearing
- Free internet
- Gym is good, well equipped, well frequented - it is part of a club at the second tower which is available to guests
- Reasonable quality Chinese buffet restaurant, cost of about $10, which is fine if you don't want to go out to eat
- Good service
- Starbucks at the lobby (I guess not everyone would consider this a positive)

A few annoyances:

- As others have mentioned, the elevators, which can get very busy either when crowds come for the rooftop experience or when package holiday groups hit the hotel
- Air-con settings
- Front-desk can be slow and inflexible, although polite and gentle persistence (and I stress POLITE) can get most things sorted out

However, over a long stay, the annoyances are minor indeed and overall this is a good place to stay.

One serious annoyance, though, is the hotel's reservation system. While it appears very friendly, take extreme care with the small print. You cannot amend your reservation from 72 hours before arrival, only cancel it, with 50% penalty pre-arrival and 100% for no-show FOR THE ENTIRE STAY! I have no problem with forfeiting the cost of one night, but not two weeks worth on a room they can resell. This is not normal hotel practice, and they need to sort it out.

Nonetheless, I expect to be back in Cebu later this year and will happily stay at the Crown Regency again.

Note for people interested in diving: There's very good diving on the east side of Mactan Island, about 30 minutes by taxi (about 200 PHP on the meter, c. $5, but pay a bit more since they won't get a fare back). The coral and small critters are surprisingly good so close to a city, and it's nice and quiet . Dive centres such as Scuba World (Hilton) and KonTiki/7 Seas at Maribago are well priced, and they do everything for you. Very convenient and great break from the hotel/city if you are there for business and don't have the time to go somewhere for a few days.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeliya
Cavite City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

Stayed here from 30 April 2010 until 02 May 2010.

General: I was surprised at the great quality of my superior (entry-level) room for the price of PHP4000+ (USD90). Crown Regency's room is a lot better than those at Taal Vista Hotel in Tagaytay, where prices start at approximately PHP7000+ (USD150+).

Reception - Pros:
-The reception people were very attentive and very friendly.
-They are also not biased if you're a foreigner or not, by speaking in polite English and retaining their polite and pleasant tone even if you respond in Cebuano or Tagalog. -There was also a glitch in my online reservation, but they manage to resolve it without causing me a lot of inconvenience and they were still very friendly
-They let me check in at 1:00pm without huge charges (or no charges at all!)
-I forgot to ask them to give me a room away from the construction site, and I was happy to find out that they gave me a room with a view of Mactan Channel: exactly what I was hoping for
-They let me check out at 12:20pm without any additional charges (had to extend a bit because I had difficulty in stuffing rosquillos, otap and dried mangoes in my stuffed luggage. LOL)

Reception - Cons:
-Only three reception staff are attending to long queues of guests, but they still did a great job and did not show signs of stress or irritation. Kudos!
-The online reservations system at their own website had a glitch. When I checked in, they could not find my reservation that I made 7 days prior. Fortunately I printed the email they sent and screenshot of the credit card transaction. After a few minutes, they processed my reservation and it's a good thing they had a spare room at 1:00pm. Confirmation email arrived only on 03 May 2010, when I had returned to Manila. Probably a technical problem which prevented 100% confirmation of reservation. Although I found it odd that the staff recommended future reservations via Agoda or Asiatravel instead of their main website, which will also cost less. I chose to reserve at their own website since I am uncomfortable typing my credit card number on an unfamiliar website. But, hey, their recommendation will save me more money! =)

Room - Pros:
-Surprisingly better than expected
-Better than the entry-level rooms in Taal Vista Hotel, and Crown Regency's rate is almost half of Taal Vista's
-Good airconditioning
-Safe, reliable and honest housekeeping (I forgot to secure my laptop and backup phone in my luggage, and when I returned, I found them untouched)

Room - Cons:
-None, well except for three instances of power outages which lasted only 15 minutes each. I won't blame them, because there's an energy crisis right now. But having no power made the room feel creepy... I also wondered if the electronic door lock and elevators also went out during the outages.

Others - Pros:
-Housekeeping and room service staff were very polite and friendly. I encountered some of them while in the elevator, and although it's my habit to look at the floor and avoid eye contact, they greeted me and had sincere smiles
-Good complimentary breakfast choices and good schedule (6am to 10am)
-Good internet connection, although it took me three follow-ups for them to bring up a LAN cable (for some reason, the original LAN cable was missing)

Others - Cons:
-ELEVATORS... during afternoon until early evening, I always had difficulty going up or down because those non-guests who are going to Tower 2 are always pushing me away when we're entering the elevator. I don't make a big deal out of it but I find it rude that the non-guests would nudge me from the queue to the elevator. I wish they would install elevators that are for guests only, and starting from the ground floor. This is the only turnoff that I have with this hotel. Lousy elevator system.

I will definitely come back and try their offerings. Didn't have enough time due to business stuff. Looking forward to try Kotie, most especially. And next time I'll just avoid the elevator rush hour. It's very stressful and very annoying if I get nudged out of the elevator queue again... :P

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mazdacat
Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

A very big hotel with lots of attractions on the top, the famouse skywalk and others. 2 king size bed in the room, very clean and lots of space in the room. there are security metal detectors @ the doors of the entrance. 1 negative point, they will check all the philippines that come in the hotel @ night. i write my name and my philippine gf on the registration paper, for 2 persons. only there is a failer in the registration system in the computer, they can put only 1 name in it and not 2 persons. the security cannot see if the philippines persone, a costumer is or not. give the philippines customers a badge or some thing that they can show or proof they are customer in that hotel. Its a problem in lots of hotels in the philippines

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoughN
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

CROWN REGENCY HOTEL & TOWER, FUENTE

My husband & I had a weekend stay at Crown Regency Tower in Cebu upon the recommendation of our friend who’s based there. She was right in saying that this hotel is right smack in the middle of everything: malls, sights, restos. Plus there are so many attractions within the hotel that you won’t want to leave. For a cheap rate (Booked thru asiatravel.com at P3100/night w/ buffet breakfast), it was a really pleasant stay & we look forward to going back there soon.
I will do my rating from 1-10 w/ a Plus & Minus categories so you’ll find it easier to read.

1. LOCATION: 10
PLUS:
a. It’s the tallest building in Cebu so it’s hard to miss!
b. There’s a Starbucks right at the ground floor!
c. Robinsons Place is right around the corner so you can buy snacks, eat Lechon Cebu at the food court & buy whatever you forgot at home.
d. There’s a McDonald’s at the other corner of the hotel & Jollibee beside it so you’ll never go hungry.
e. Try a resto near the hotel called “Casa Verde” w/c serves the best, biggest & fall-off-the bone baby back ribs ever! It’s along the road where McDonald’s is (at the right corner of the hotel) then there’s a sign pointing to a small road to Casa Verde. Try also their “death by chocolate” dessert, super yummy! Prices are really cheap (Ribs cost P168, dessert P80)! They also have this giant hamburger that’s as big as a pizza! They have branches at Ayala Mall & IT mall but they’re priced higher.
f. Taxis are never a problem as the hotel is along a main road.
MINUS:
a. Tower2 is still being constructed so try not to get a room on that side or else you’ll see construction workers the whole day.

2. ROOMS: 9
PLUS:
a. Big rooms with 2 double beds! (We only got the Superior Room at Tower1). Interior is really good w/ laminated wood floors, armchair w/ footstool, vanity, lots of closet space & a mini bar. Beds were nice & comfy w/ feather pillows. Loved the sheets!
b. There’s a bathtub & their bath gel smells really nice! Water pressure isn’t a problem & you don’t have to wait for the water to get hot. Fixtures were high-end (Kohler) w/c is a surprise.
c. 21”TV had same channel selections at home. Would have wanted LCD TV tho, but this would suffice.
MINUS:
a. There was some dirt on our bathroom counter (unidentified) w/c could mean that the room wasn’t cleaned before we checked in. But Housekeeping arrived w/in 3 minutes of our call and cleaned it up.
b. There was no soap dish on the sink… had to put the soap right on the counter. Even when we called to ask about it, they said there really was none. With all the shells in Cebu, they could have used that as a soap dish.
c. Curtains had some stain on it. Mini-ref was missing the temp knob. I hope it’s not the same w/ other rooms.
d. There was no in-room safe and bathrobe.
e. Don’t order ice in a bucket, they’ll charge you P50 for it unlike in Manila where it’s free.

3. SERVICE: 8
PLUS:
a. We arrived at 10:20am and was surprised that a room was available for us (check-in is usually 2pm). But there’s a MINUS to this, read below…
b. Housekeeping was prompt each time we called.
c. Staff were courteous, especially the pool guy, Fernando, who even took pictures of us while swimming. He even kept our camera for us for safekeeping.
d. After a bad experience w/ 4D Theater (to be told in another review), the manager, Amor, treated us to a VIP viewing the next day to make up for it.
MINUS:
a. Even if the room was available upon our early arrival, we were told to wait 15mins so they can check if it’s clean. We ended up waiting at the lounge for 25mins. & had to go ask about it myself. It turns out the room was ready and we were waiting for nothing. Haaay!
b. We asked about some sights & if they were near enough to take a taxi to. Receptionist suggested we use their Day Tour thru their concierge. They were trying hard to convince us & discouraged us from just taking taxis as they would cost higher & not safe. For P1500/car on a 3hr day tour, we thought it wasn’t a great idea as we weren’t even interested in some of the sights they had listed. We opted to go on our own & just used taxis w/c was really cheaper in the long run.
c. Try to get a taxi on your own & not thru the guard/concierge. The taxis they choose for you will charge higher since they give a certain “cut” to the concierge.
d. We had some complaints about our 4D Movie experience & told Front Desk to assist us. They said they will call us back but they didn’t. I waited 20mins & ended up calling them again. The next day, my husband went down to report our complaint again to see what action they have done. They said they will have the manager call us w/in the day. We never got a call. That night, he went down again to the Front Desk follow-up. That’s the time they connected him to the manager. They should probably have a “Complaints Department” to address guests’ issues if the Front Desk doesn’t want to be bothered by it.
e. 4D Theater should improve their services as there are no signs to guide the viewers on the procedure. We had a run-in w/ a really snooty girl there who doesn’t know the meaning of “the customer is always right.” Will write about this in another review.

4. FOOD: 9
PLUS:
a. Breakfast buffet was a delight at Café Glo on the 2nd flr. Food was comparable to the buffet at Holiday Inn Galleria Suites in Manila. They even had the “made on the spot” omelet station found in hotels in Manila. They changed the menu the next day w/c was good so guests won’t get tired of the fare. I was pleasantly surprise that they served their native chorizo (longganiza) w/c I was really looking forward to while in Cebu.
b. Food at Sparx on the 37th flr was great. They had several types of buffet: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino & Western. They also had a selection of desserts w/c were also great. The view from the floor to ceiling windows was spectacular! They also had a live band playing that accepts song requests. As a tip, try this buffet that’s packaged along w/ a Sky Ride/4D Movie so it comes really cheap (P600).
MINUS:
a. I don’t know if it’s a minus but if you’re not a seafood lover like my husband, you will have a limited food selection. Most of the food served at Sparx is seafood based (w/c I love).
b. Breakfast buffet had a better selection on the 1st day (bacon, etc.). Also when the food runs out on a chafing dish, they don’t replenish it, they replace it w/ a totally different fare. So you’d better hoard the food you want on the 1st round.

5. ATTRACTIONS/AMENITIES: 10
PLUS:
a. They have the Edge Coaster (roller coaster at the top floor edge of the bldg); Sky Walk (ala Macau Tower where you walk along the edge of the top floor); & 4D Movie (far better than 3D). There are diff packages to choose from. We only got to try the 4D Movie & it was a new experience (Try “The Lost Island”)!
b. By the lounge of the 4D Movie, there’s a kiddy play area complete w/ slides.
c. Sparx Resto at the 37th floor w/ full cityscape view (you don’t have to go to Tops anymore).
d. Infinity pool w/ Jacuzzi on the 9th flr is also along the edge of the bldg w/ a great view of mountains. Ask for towels from Housekeeping.
e. Club Ultima in Tower2 has a family lounge w/ games; spa for massages & facials (you get a 50%off coupon upon check-in); Snooze Lounge (massage chairs w/ cityscape view); indoor pool/water spa (ala Ace Waterspa). I’m not sure if checked-in guests have discounts or are free to use these amenities.
MINUS:
a. If you try exploring Tower2 (Club Ultima), it’s confusing as you have to keep transferring elevators since they don’t reach the exact floor you want to go to. You could end up getting lost.
b. The infinity pool is in full view of construction at Tower2. So try using it at sunset when it’s completely empty & construction workers are done working.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Crown Regency Tower & we will be back w/ the rest of our family. We want to try the Edge Coaster & Sky Walk next time!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple