Crown Regency Hotel & Towers
Cebu Grand Hotel(Cebu City)
US$53
US$58
US$80
US$67
Trip.com
Radisson Blu Cebu(Cebu City)
US$212
US$169
Radisson Blu
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsedge coastersky rideglo cafeshooting rangewall climbingbuffet dinnerdeluxe roommactan islandrooms are biginternet connectionskywalkjollibeefuenteresto
Reviewed 14 November 2010

the hotel itself is nice.. it has a huge fluffy bed and big rooms.. HOWEVER my stay there has been littered with frustrations

first: the guards

they tricked us into riding a 700pesos rent a van rather than a free shuttle bus because they get a kick back of 100pesos from the drivers.

they get kickbacks whenever they get a cab for the hotel clients!!!

second: under construction

hotels should never provide rooms that are partially under construction. because guest would not feel comfortable with construction workers being just opposite your GLASS balcony door.

third: management

they dont give a damn about your complains. they would accomodate your rantings but it seem that they dont do anything about it afterwards. we complain not to be bad but to let future clients not experience the unpleasant things that we have experienced

they have library,pool, spa,parlor,gym,gameroom,starbucks on the ground floor.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank hyperbench
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We stayed here last sept....wew poor service...people here does not bother for customer service....the elevator sucks.......food sucks......good presentation but does not taste good.....poor customer service on their waiters. not recommending this hotel.....only the edge coaster and the sky walk that's good on this hotel...otherwise...it sucks!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank davaomackoy
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Firstly i must say i liked Cebu.....but this hotel was the worst. My family and i stayed there during October and it was a horror stay from the start.
Nothing went smoothly and the staff were basically not interested in providing any service. I feel i was somewhat lucky as my wife speaks Tagalog but still it prompted no action.
I have stayed in a lot of countries, this is THE worst place ever.
Its overpriced massively.
Never again will i stay there again......and its scared me away from anything with the words Crown or Regency in the name.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sightseeare
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Crown Regency Towers Hotel: OMG !!! We hated this place from the very beginning!!!

No Security/inattentive bellman: After being treated like royalty at the Marriott and at Maribago Beach Resort durring the first two legs of my Cebu visit, we arrive by taxi to the Crown and were met by a total lack of security and lack of special treatment. Our taxi driver pulled into the drop-off driveway and stopped by the security guard there. The guard looked at him as though he was crazy, so the taxi driver continued driving past him to the inside lobby entrance. There was no bellman waiting by the door. Our taxi man unloaded our luggage from his vehicle. It wasn’t until I walked inside that a bellman noticed our arrival and then brought our luggage inside.

Inattentive check in staff: No one said “Welcome to the Crown”. I walked to the check-in desk and was never acknowledged. I stood there forever, until 3 people were checked out. While standing there I noticed bad attitude coming from one of the three receptionists and directed toward the other two. Then finally one of the ladies looked up and said, “May I help you”. So I check-in and received my room key card.

Inattentive bellman part 2: The bellman was not ready to go with our luggage, I had to actually signal to him. We followed him to the elevator and the only conversation we had with him was when he asked for our room number and key card to activiate the elevator. We entered our room and he unloaded our luggage inside the door. He didn’t even offer to place our luggage on the luggage table there. I did that myself later. He never gave us a tour of the room to explain how things operated. Luckily I tried to turn on the room lights before he left, because the lights were activated by plugging your key card into a slotted wall switch by the door. He actually demonstrated this to me when I asked him how to activate the lights. He didn’t say anything, he just took the key card and placed it into the slotted switch and like magic the lights turned on. I felt bad tipping him, but I did, and he was out the door.

No room tour: So we were abandoned to explore the room functions on our own. The lack of special treatment that we were so used to was a big let down. As we explored the room, we jokingly said to each other, “Good morning Ma’am, Good morning Sir” since we were missing the royal treatment now that we were here at the Crown. We learned the hard way that when we left the room and pulled the key-card out of the power slot, the lights and the air-con turned off. So the room would not maintain the set temperature level.

The room safe in the closet worked fine, however, is was on the very bottom of the closet and too close to the floor. To access it, I had to get on my knees to punch in the code. This would not have been good for elderly guest with bad knees.

Our TV worked, however, every channel was fuzzy or it had ghost images of other channels drifting in the back ground. We only had a clear picture on a few channels, but not until later in the evening.

The door to our room slammed very hard every time we left our room. I tried to remember to hold on to it and ease it to closure, but I would usually forget. I’m sure it disturbed others on our floor.

The bathroom threshold is unusually high, about ¾ of an inch elevated from the floor. When you walk out of the bathroom, be very careful or you might stub your toe and fall forward.

No face clothes in the bathroom. I have never stayed at a hotel that did not provide 12 inch by 12 inch face clothes for bathing. I called house keeping and it seemed that they did not understand what I was requesting. They sent someone up with floor mats and hand towels. I tried to explain to the lady that I needed face clothes, or “wash clothes”, I told her 12 by 12 and made an outline of a square with my fingers to demonstrate. She told me that they do not supply them here. I do not understand why the Crown would expect their guest to wash with a big rectangular hand towels in the shower. This size towel gets heavy when wet. And I am sure that it takes more time and energy to launder hand towels than it would to launder face clothes. That is just plain stupid.

The Tub Mat slips, so make sure you press it down hard to apply the suction to the tub, before you step into the shower. And also after you firmly apply the tub mat, you will notice that you will have no hot water. Day one of our stay we had hot water to shower, but the remaining 3 days of our stay we had to shower without hot water. It was not ice cold, but way too cool and very uncomfortable to shower; I was so angry and disappointed especially after all the other bad experiences at the Crown.

The swimming pool was just as cold as the shower water. It was so cold that swimming there was just too uncomfortable for us. It took us several minutes to adjust and get in the water, and after one lap we left and went back to our room. Swimming there was just bad, we were very disappointed and hated the pool.

Under the TV, inside the cabinet you will find a non-working refrigerator. It was unplugged and did not contain any water or other refreshments.

No outlet adapters. I had a power converter with me, however, the outlets in our room did not accept the round plug prongs only the flat prongs like the ones here in the U.S. In the room manual, it states that power convertors were available by contacting house keeping. I called house keeping and ordered a convertor. We waited in our room, and ten minutes later received a return call to inform us that there were no power convertors available for use. I then went to Robinson’s Mall and purchased an adapter at Handyman Home Center for 25 pesos.

Power outage on the elevator took place on day 1 and again on day 2. We were on the elevator going up to our floor and luckily it stopped on a floor to let someone off just as the power ceased in the building. The doors were open, so we exited and headed for the stairwell. Day 2 the power ceased again while we were on the elevator. This time the doors were not open and the elevator dropped what seemed to be two feet. The darkened elevator slowly descended down about 6 floors, then opened. We had to step up about 8 inches to exit, but at least we were not closed in. Each time the power returned within five minutes, but these episodes just added to the total pain and suffering we experienced at the Crown; with more to come…read on.

After returning from Robinson’s Mall and our other adventures, many times we found no front doorman at the front door to open it and welcome us. Such a courtesy seemed standard at the Marriott. And with no front doorman meant no security there to check persons entering. And remember, with the Sky Coaster and Sky Walk on the roof being open to the public, anyone not a guest at the Crown could still access the hotel at anytime during open hours.

Ok lets move on to the food. Sorry, but the restaurants were also bad as well as mostly everything else at the Crown. We ate at Mr. Grill on the 21st floor. The place is open air, meaning there are no windows, only wide fencing to keep people from possibly jumping off the edge. And while we were there, we could here all the construction going on in the building across the street. We ordered the buffet, however, we found nothing but raw meat in the buffet silver containers. We learned that you place the raw meat on a plate and give it to the person at the grill who will then grill it for you. It appeared that they were trying to conserve food, as not much of a selection and quantity was found. Then while waiting for our food to be grilled, I experienced bad bar service.

Our waiter was not available after he seated us. I went up to the bar to place our drink order, only to observe the bartender to then begin to mop the floor instead of preparing our drinks. Maybe he felt it was more important to mop up the water accumulating on the floor due to the heavy leak from the ceiling as it was raining at that time. We did not receive our drinks until I had to walk over to our waiter and tell him about it. And after receiving our drinks, neither the waiter nor the bartender ever returned to ask if we needed another round.

Ok, onto the terrible method of payment, after we ate the crappy food we never received our bill. So I walked over to the cashier to tell her we wanted to leave. She motioned for our waiter to come over and she began to ring up our bill, at least that is what I thought. She then handed me a bill for the drinks only and instructed me to follow the waiter down to the 19th floor to pay the bill there. I thought this was stupid and very odd, but we followed the waiter to the 19th floor to a reception counter there. The lady at the counter conferred with the waiter, then told me what my bill was, handed me a receipt that she tallied, and I paid it in cash. I even regretfully tipped the waiter and we left for our room. Well about 2 hours later I receive a call to my room from the front desk. They informed me that I had not paid my bill from Mr. Grill and that there was a mix up. They further stated that the waiter and bar clerk would be arriving at my room. They both arrived shortly after the call. The clerk informed me that I had not paid the bar bill, she was nice about it, however I told her that I followed the waiter down to the 19th floor as she directed me to, and I paid the bill. She stated that the bar bill was separate from the food bill and that it was not tallied together. She was not blaming me for any wrong doing, she was just stating that it was a mix up and that the waiter failed to make it clear that there were two bills needing payment while there on the 19th floor. This was not a big problem to resolve here at my room door, but once again this incident just added to the pain & suffering accumulated already here at the Crown. And although receiving bad service there, we ended up at Mr. Grill again just for drinks.

It was raining outside and we didn’t want to leave, and we had my fiancé’s sister and brother with us. So we decided to go to Mr. Grill’s to play cards and drink. The card game was fun, but every time we needed a round of drinks, I had to get up and walk to the bar to order. It was not busy there at all, but the bartender would never check on us. It rained again that night and he was mopping the floor constantly, but mopping the floor was not bringing in money to the place or getting him tips. He should have been more focused on customers.

Yes, it gets worse; the room service was just stupid. We checked the room menu and of the four desserts listed, we called and ordered two of them with coffee. We waited, but later only received a call to inform us that the only item available was the chocolate cake. I don’t understand how a hotel of this capacity would allow itself to be so unprepared and lack the availability of menu items. Moving right along, our chocolate cake order was delivered with our coffee, I signed for it and tipped our waiter. Yes, it was GOOD! Wow a positive note finally, but it is about to crash here again. Three hours later I receive a call to my room telling me that I had not paid for my room service. OMG!!! I tell the caller that I signed for the order and to just charge it to my room. I was then informed that they could not charge it to my room and that the waiter would return for the cash. I began to laugh just to keep from getting angry. The waiter arrived and I paid the $540 pesos. The next day I went to the front desk to find out why my order could not be charged to my room. I was informed that there was no credit card on file for my account. I could have given them my credit card right then for future orders, but I was totally done with this hotel. And I remember giving the receptionist my card upon check-in and placing it back into my wallet when she handed it back to me. She forgot to swipe it or what ever she needed to do to assign it to my room. And as a security measure, I wonder why they would not demand that I produce a credit card once they found out that none was on file. Or at least explain that to me when they called my room to demand payment for my room service order. Pure stupidity on their part. And on top of that, we used the laundry service at the hotel. The laundry was picked up, cleaned and returned to our room with no complaints. But get this, the laundry bill was on file upon my check out. I paid it with no problem, so why did they allow this bill to post to my account and not the other service charges. Crazy isn’t it !

The breakfast buffet was included each morning with my reservation. Before I review the food, I will tell you about what I experienced on day 2 of our entry into the buffet dinning room. My fiancé and I both checked in together at the hotel with our passports. We received one breakfast buffet coupon for each day of our stay. The coupon did not have a total number of guests on the receipt, only a date individually for each day of our stay. So on day 2, we enter the restaurant and I hand the receptionist our coupon just like I had done on day 1. Instead of a “please be seated”, she takes a hard look at my Filipina fiancé, frowns, and says “wait”. She then turned and appeared to be looking for a supervisor, and luckily one was walking up right behind her. I couldn’t here what she was saying to him as she showed him the coupon. But I observed him shaking his head and I heard him respond to her by saying “No it is ok, ….don’t worry about it…” The only reason I did not create a scene about this is because I did not want to upset my fiancé, and I just wanted to have breakfast and get out of the hotel and have a great day. But I suspect that the idiot waitress thought that my fiancé was some chick that I had picked up and perhaps brought there to scam the Crown out of a free breakfast. That is what ran through my mind based on what I observed of her actions. I hate the Crown.

Now for the breakfast buffet food review, I will not slam them here in the food category just because of all the other bad experiences. But I will describe their food by saying, “Not as good as the Marriott or Maribago Beach Resort Breakfast Buffet”. Of our four day stay, we ate at the buffet only three times. On one occasion they did not serve pineapple as a fresh fruit. This is not a big deal, but we like pineapple and there was always plenty at the other two hotels. On one other occasion, although on a hot plate, the chicken served for breakfast was cold. On one other occasion the waiter never brought our coffee before we finished eating. And on another occasion we did not receive our coffee, and only received it when another guest got up and went to find a manager to complain about not receiving his coffee. Well the manager served both our tables, however, he explained to me in a nice way that if I need more coffee to just get his attention. Wait a minute! I am on vacation here; I should not have to summon anyone’s attention. “I” am the guest at this hotel; it is the staff who should be attentive to insuring that “my” needs are met.

One good thing, we rode the sky coaster and had a nice time. I am happy that the sky coaster and the other entertainment there is accessible without having to be a guest at this horrible hotel. Also, one other good thing; There is a Starbucks connected to the front lobby of this hotel. The Starbucks has excellent service. We purchased coffee and desert there to avoid room service. Two hot mochas and one cheesecake was $350 pesos (Oct. 2010) Avoid staying at this hotel at all cost. I tried to cancel my reservation and return to either the Marriott or Maribago, but I booked the Crown through Expedia and I would not receive any refund at all. I will never stay at this hotel again, it is horrible!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Flynster
Reviewed 21 June 2010

What a disappointment this leg of our honeymoon turned out to be, and then to find that the hotel was so very average was truly disappointing.

I have stayed in other hotels in the Philippines before but this was my first time in Cebu so maybe my perception of it all is a bit skewed. First of all, I think there is another hotel of the same name which is on Mactan Island, so perhaps that one is better. We stayed in the Hotel & Towers in Cebu City. Do not stay here - it's sad.

The room was clean but devoid of the amenities you would expect to find in a normal hotel room - there was a fridge but nothing in it (what was the point of installing that?) - sorry you do get 2 complimentary bottles of water every day; the menu for room service was really average - you're better off ducking to the McDonalds or Jollibee which is 1 minute down the road; there is no safe - do not leave your valuables unattended, please lock them in your suitcase with a massive, non-tamperable padlock; the "cable" television really only had one channel which was worth watching - National Geo, there were about 5 religious channels which by the end of our stay here, we truly believed we HAD gone to hell.

The rooms are cleaned daily and to be fair we did have a great view of Mactan Island - which is where we should have been. The hotel has a "Starbucks" attached to it which was one saving grace. Breakfast was reasonable - stick to the pancakes. Don't get Concierge to organise a taxi for you, you will be ripped off as we discovered when we were leaving to go to the airport. Just hail a taxi from the front of the hotel yourself - try to be astute when choosing a taxi, try to choose one that is a newer model car, we found that the drivers in these taxi's almost always used the meters.

We also got sick of everyone calling us "Sir & Ma'am" everytime we saw anyone who had anything to do with the Hotel. The gym facilities are pretty average with the treadmills (walking machine) being out of commission and the weights, well, let's just say you're better off lifting your suitcases above your head. If you want to go the Tower Salon (hair, nails etc) book your appointment 2-3 days before you want your appointment - they get really really busy otherwise, there is a pedi/mani and a legitimate massage place next to "The National Bookstore" on General Maxilom Avenue.

The staff are polite but not helpful, not because they don't want to help but because they don't know how to help. Make sure if you decide to eat at the buffet restaurant that you go well before 8pm. We paid for our tickets to eat there on the 19th floor at (I think) 9:20pm and only when we were actually in the restaurant, were we told we had like 30 minutes to choose our dinner & dessert and then get the hell out of there. But the waitstaff in the restaurant did advise us nicely. Also if you sit in the restaurant, sit next to the windows as you can see the people doing the "Skywalk" watching you have dinner, watching them walking. If you're scared of heights, do not eat at this restaurant.

We also ate at Kotie's - Japanese restaurant. We were the only people there that night but Rudy, our waiter was tops! He rocked & was the most helpful person.

There's another restaurant in the hotel that does mixed grilled stuff, don't bother going up there, the menu is terrible. There's also a Chinese restaurant but ended up dining out.

There is free wireless available on the 19th floor - there's a large sitting area between Tower & Tower 2, so you can sit there with your laptop without too much annoyance - best to sit there about 10pm as everyone's usually in their rooms.

The hotel also has a metal detector (for guns etc) at the entrance which becomes really freaking annoying if you stay there for more than one night because you constantly have to walk through it and it's constantly going off. Tip: Go through the Starbucks - you can enter Starbucks from the street then walk through the door which takes you straight into the hotel thus by-passing the stupid metal detector. Actually, if you go through the detector and it goes off, it doesn't matter because the "security guard" just lets you walk through anyway.

Just stay somewhere else ... where you can relax ... maybe stay at The Shangri-La where we went for a day and thoroughly enjoyed their facilities (if you get a Day Pass to the Shangri-La it costs P5000 for 2 people but you also get a freaking unreal buffet lunch & use of all the amenities.

All I can say is that we should've just returned to Boracay which was original plan. Go there instead.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple