“the best hotel in downtown cebu city”
Review of Hotel Fortuna

Hotel Fortuna
Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Cebu City
California
“the best hotel in downtown cebu city”
Reviewed 16 January 2009

This is our first time stay with this hotel.
We were so happy during our 6 days stay at Hotel Fortuna in Cebu City. It is very centrally located , walking distance to the wet market, Magellans cross, Sto Nino church and a lot of local shopping.
The rooms were all very clean, the services were fast.
The food at the restaurant downstairs were very good and at an economical price.The next door bakery has a lot of goodies at a very good price too. We just love it.
The hotel rates were very affordable for this fairly new 8 stories hotel.
I will surely recommend Hotel Fortuna to all our friends going to Cebu City for vacation.

• Liked — very clean
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaBeauty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brisbane
Reviewed 31 December 2008

The Hotel Fortuna, (actually, La Fortuna Hotel to be precise), is a small 6 story four year old hotel in the downtown area of Cebu. Being located in the oldest and busiest part of the city made it a good place to stay for sightseeing and experiencing Cebu city life. There are a myriad of little alleyways and streets near the hotel that are worth exploring. The Colon Market is just around the corner, Metro Gaisano Mall about 30 metres away and several banks with ATMs only metres away also. Fresh fruit is available from street vendors outside the hotel and because of its location, Jeepneys and taxis are always available at the door. Ayala and SM malls are about an 80p taxi ride or 7p Jeepney ride from the hotel. So, that's the location - now the hotel itself. I booked a suite with a queen size bed. The booking was made online and I confirmed it by phone and asked the receptionist to send a confirmation email. As I was staying for 3 weeks I asked for and received a discount of 10% - with the room costing 1350p including breakfast. I found the room to be clean and reasonably spacious. It was on the 4th floor and faced the street which was constantly noisy, however what else can one expect in the heart of the city? The negative aspects of the hotel are unfortunately many: 1. They have a weird set-up with the bed linen. It seems that they only have single sheets and fold two across the mattress and none under the cover. 2. No bar fridge - so impossible to keep water or drinks cold. 3. No clock. 4. Poor lighting - ambience is one thing, not being able to read anything at night is an entirely different matter. 5. I had to continually remove the toilet cover to reset the float as the cistern would not automatically fill. 6. In the middle of the 4th floor is some type of employee common room with louvered windows where everyone smoked resulting in smoke, including cigar smoke, entering my room. 7. Breakfast - read other reviews - I agree with them. 8. There is no laundry nearby so you will be charged a lot for the hotel to do your laundry - and not very well, as I had clothes 'laundered' but still showing marks/stains.

On the positive side - the staff were friendly and courteous. Housekeeping always cleaned the room well. They bring hot and cold water in jugs at night. The hot water still confounds me as there are no tea/coffee facilities - cups etc - so what is one going to do with hot water???

I like the location and being in the midst of the Xmas throng - very vibrant. However, unless it was considerably cheaper for what you get and don't get - I doubt that I would stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No fridge, bed linen, lighting
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank DrChrisBrisbane
Cornwall
Reviewed 14 November 2008

This NEW hotel got good reviews here and as I have had bad experiences in cebu over 20yrs I thought I could book this one, huh? wish I just went to the marriott instead!

This hotel is terrible, I stayed there with my wife and Daughter and relatives from 16th - 18th October 2008,

When we got there the rooms were not prepared and the executive suites toilet did not flush and the seat was broken, the shower was COLD the room had ants, the sink did not work, the adjoining room was not much better, and they had old tired air con units, for a NEW hotel this was strange, I had to get mad and they changed us to anopther marginally better suite and the bathroom was slightly better, they had to make up the rooms and we watched as 5 people made up 2 beds! the bed bases were primtive and was made of planks of wood. Staff were so slow and could not speak or understand english and seemed to totally lacking in training. the corridors were baking hot, the restaurant closed in the evenings and the breakfasts were free...no wonder... as they were COLD mashed beef, and COLD omelette, the toast was cold as they made it in advance. The 2 nights for 2 rooms was P11,000...a rip off.

There was a clean pleasant bakery next door which was run by the same people, rumours had it that the hotel staff were only shop workers, which seemed to make sense. the chinese owners did turn up and apologise but all too late and they should have been there to oversee their business. this is a common problem in the phils.

So to re-cap : AVOID this Hotel

• Liked — It was in a good location for several tourist sites
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank PhilCornwall
Dubai
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Stayed for three nights in the super delux room with balcony.

Location is in the middle of the busy downtown. At night, after shops close, it is very quiet.

Was attacked by ants and some sort of flying pest while trying to sleep during the first two nights. Hotel needs to fix insect problem. After complaining, they moved me to another room, which was fine.

Hotel charges guests for the use of an iron and tey dont offer ironing boards. This is a no-no in the world of hospitaility.

A reasonable place to stay if the price is right.

• Stayed October 2008
3 Thank JackRussellDBX
new york
Reviewed 24 October 2008

I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to cebu, it was my first time in cebu but been to manila and boracay before. I stayed in Hotel Fortuna because my friend back home in NY recommended the hotel to me and WoW is all I can say. First of All, the staff was so friendly and accommodating, everyone in the hotel spoke good english so it was a breeze to communicate, then the room was Amazing. I stayed in a room with a waterfall and a garden outside and man it was the best for the price. My colleagues stayed at waterfront and they came over and was blown away by the interiors of the room. My girlfriend and I was ecstatic about how centrally located the hotel is. We walked to Sto Nino church where we went to church almost everyday and went shopping at Gaisano Metro which is also a few steps away.

Anyhow, Id like to give thanks to the staff of Hotel fortuna especially to Carmen for Accommodating to my needs.

• Liked — service service service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank jsmith214
Manila
Reviewed 22 October 2008

I am scheduled to fly to Cebu October 23, 2008 and was trying to find a good hotel. So I searched for hotels with good reviews from the Travel Advisor. I was very happy because HOTEL FORTUNA had a good feedback from people who have stayed there. So i called the hotel to inquire about rates and amenities. I was very very disappointed when the lady who answered my call seemed to be floating and did not know how to answer my questions eg. if the rooms have wifi access and if it is free or not, how much is the charge etc... Next time, HOTEL FORTUNA should train their staff how to handle queries from costumers.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank LEO311977
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I was very impressed with this hotel. It was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The ambiance was very modern and the contemporary furniture looked great. Plus the food down stairs, especially the baked goods was great!! Best bang for your buck.

Stayed February 2007