“Hidden Gem”
Review of Hotel Fortuna

Hotel Fortuna
Ranked #37 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We stayed at the Fortuna Hotel in downtown Cebu for two weeks. It is very clean and the staff is attentive. The rooms are very nice and clean and location aside is one of the best values I have found in Cebu. My wife used to work downtown and grew up attending San Jose Catholic church so we enjoy staying at this hotel. They offer pickup and drop off service at Mactan airport for a small additional fee. Nice bathroom with HOT and cold water. The Fortuna bakery is right next door and the wares are wonderful.

We thank the Sy family for wonderful service and a very nice hotel. We appreciate you!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cruise749

Reviewed 14 October 2010

Dulce domum at Mole End, Hotel Fortuna

I stayed overnight at Hotel Fortuna in a room priced at Php750 (around $16) with a shower, aircon, cable TV and free breakfast. It was a steal and I was wondering what the catch was. When I arrived at around 11 pm at the airport, the taxi driver was not familiar with the hotel, although according to the hotel website it is well-known for its bakery. I called up the hotel with my cellphone and let the driver discuss directions with the front desk.

PROS:

The place looks new and is brightly lit. One must deposit an initial amount first, which will be deducted from payment upon checkout.

Some people might have been dismayed, but when I got to my room, I was delighted because its compact size somehow reminded me of my bedroom as a kid. It had a single bed pushed up against the wall, a small space between the bed and the table holding the TV and drawers, and a small bathroom with a shower that has no divider with the toilet. Had it been dingy or old, it would have been very sad, but at the time I was there (Sept ’10) it was new, well-lit, with nice looking wooden furniture and was rather charming in its Lord of the Rings hobbit-house way. The small table and chair in the room is hardly a work area and would function more as an additional place to put your things on, but I was strangely amused by the choice of art hanging on the wall, a painting of a tiny cup of espresso. How fitting.

The breakfast was not buffet, but a set meal of sausage, egg, rice and coffee, and I told myself one must not expect too much for the price. What matters to me is a good night’s sleep with no disturbances, running hot water in either the shower or bath, and courteous staff, all of which were present. The Fortuna Bakery is indeed beside the hotel, and one need not look further for take-home gifts or pasalubong if pressed for time, the bakery carries most of the native delicacies of Cebu, plus some Chinese pastries also, since I believe the owners are Chinese.

CONS:

If you are renting a car to get around Cebu, the hotel does not seem to have parking, its front entrance being immediately accessible from the sidewalk.

I cannot recommend this hotel to people who are on a tight schedule, because its location in the downtown area makes it a busy place and it is very hard to get a cab during rush hour. The staff unfortunately did not offer to hail me a cab, although perhaps I should have asked. If you need to be at the airport, leave early so you can make it on time.

The bathroom, despite having an exhaust fan, had a bit of a stale-water smell after use, and it doesn’t seem to ventilate very easily. Given the size of the accomodations I just described, people over six feet tall will probably not find the single room very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Semi-ambivalent
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The daily trip to the breakfast is as much as one can handle foodwise, if they supply the breakfast ticket.
Tried to eat the buffet and while not looking too bad it turned out cold, Pork & chicken as well as fish, all as cold as death itself,,,,which is a recipe for just that.
I checked the Buffet each day in the hope that they might have some safe HOT food.
When i mentioned to the manager that the food was cold it was suggested I order from the menu, at inflated prices with no guarantee it would be safer or hotter.
Needless to say the food at the buffet continued to be presented at unsafe low temperatures. I am a qualified & certificated food handler and comment from experience and knowledge.
IT IS A VERY NICE HOTEL APART FROM BEING SO CLOSE TO CARBON MARKET AND THE FOOD SITUATION.
I WILL STAY THERE AGAIN AND AGAIN BUT FOOD SAFETY NEEDS ATTENTION BEFORE I WILL EAT THERE.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CARABO
Reviewed 16 July 2009

finally landed a Nice hotel in the midst of the dwntwn cebu, We stayed 3 days as we were buying things to sell in our province. definitely great service and great location, the location is perfect. Smack in the middle of the best shopping/baratillos/ lots of bargains for shirts, shoes etc....

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dumaguetewholesaler
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My son and I spent 7 days at the Fortuna. We found management and staff very friendly, helpful and polite. Our rooms were very comfortable, clean, amenities were quite adequate especially considering the rate. We enjoyed the food and our stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank matteoaussie
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Had a business meeting in downtown cebu and we finally landed a jackpot Hotel in downtown that is CLEAN and AFFORDABLE. we will definitely be booking all our cebu trips at this hotel....

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank bananaexport
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Stayed only one night 2nd week of January on my way to Bohol
I cannot understand all the great reviews for this hotel,are they legit? I had reservation for the weekend of the 16th which I cancelled.
Bad neighborhood, ants and cockroaches in the room, very noisy and dark, breakfast, is not even worth mentionning.
At chekout, paid for the room, the lady hands me out a photocopy of my passport, I had left my passport to be kept in the Security Deposit Box, I asked where my passport was, the lady didnt know, had to call her boss to come in and opne the safe, we waited 10-15 minutes for her to arrive.
Pay a few peso more and get something decent, it will be worth it.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank yowmartin1