“Sublime beach deck, good breakfast, hit-or-miss service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Resorts - Mactan

Be Resorts - Mactan
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
New York City, New York
“Sublime beach deck, good breakfast, hit-or-miss service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

The location is quite remote, nextdoor to the most expensive hotel in Cebu and shares the same beachfront. A large, snow-white cement steppe terrace stretches out to the pebble beach from the restaurant, with daybeds and deck chairs for lounging. Being there inspired a sublime serenity in me that is characteristic of the work of a master architecht (in this case, nature shares a large part of the credit). This is the overwhelming reason for being here. Spending a great deal of time sitting at the beachfront is essential to a pleasant stay, since the staff is inexperienced and inadequate in meeting the many needs of independent travelers. You will always get a nice smile but only a helpful answer to your questions half the time. The breakfast offers a variety of Asian foods and is well-thought out, and the overall experience is fair for the price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frugalhopper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I had my wedding ceremony at the BE Resort Beachfront, so many of my guests stayed at the BE. The service I received for the wedding was much better than the service received by my guests, so I'm reviewing the stay exclusively.

First of all there is no a/c in the lobby, elevator or hallways outside your room. There is so many guests and with the heat, it was unbearable. The worst is the elevator and hallways, because its enclosed, so you almost feel you're being suffocated.

The service was horrible. You wait so long to order something as simple as a single mixed drink, and wait even longer for it to arrive. The front-desk staff is so inconsiderate. They called my maid of honours room at 1:00am to confirm the last digits of her credit card. She was so enraged that they couldn't wait until the morning.

After her check out at 11:00am, we hung out at the hotel a little longer since her flight was a few hours away. When we were ready to leave, the staff requested proof of her check-out, which apparently the receipt wasn't enough and required a different slip. She absolutely refused to spend any more time at the front desk. This procedure just didnt seem to make any sense if you already have your receipts and just another example of inconveniencing their guests.

Some of my other guests also experienced being overcharged but the staff were able to refund the money after lots of documentation as proof.

There's only value in staying here if you book through an agent and get a much lower price, than their published price. At the published rate, its not worth it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank CamilleCP
MactanBeresorts, General Manager at Be Resorts - Mactan, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear CamilleCP,

Thank you for review and for having your wedding at Be Resorts Mactan .I will look into the details of your stay personally and ensure that it shall be address.

Be Resorts Mactan not having an A/C is a part of its commitment to reduce carbon footprint and to enhance the resort experience . All resorts in Mactan Island ,Cebu do not have A/C in its public areas including the 5 star and Conde Nast rated resorts.

We look forward to welcoming you soon .

BEst,

Garry A. Garcia
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Looking at the website and the photos, the hotel looked nice. Hip interiors, white walls, modern amenities. But I was disappointed. From the time I arrived in Cebu, the hotel staff fell short of my expectations. They either forgot to send a shuttle for me, or they assumed I would take the taxi. Next, when I got there, the service in the restaurant is a bit slow. The worst part was (maybe I'm just a light sleeper) that there was poor soundproofing in the room. So I could constantly hear the banging of the doors of the other guests and their chatter outside by the hallway. As for the white, modern interiors, up close, they looked tacky and rundown. It's a shame really. The hotel has potential. They need to refurbish it and improve hotel staff service.

Room Tip: Choose one that is at the end of the hallway so that you at least don't hear the banging of the...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JW1023

Travellers are raving about these Lapu Lapu hotels

Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Booked at Be Resorts (Mactan, Cebu) for the weekend with family and were not disappointed.

First and foremost, let me focus on the fact that this is a boutique hotel, not a 4/5-star chain hotel / resort. Yes, this hotel is actually situated in the same stretch of beach shared with other famous 4/5-star chain hotel/resorts such as Shagri-La, Hilton (Movenpick now i believe), Crimson and Abaca - but mind you, it's price is just a fraction of what you would have paid for if you booked in their next door 4/5-star neighbors. Price we paid was just a little over $120+ a night. Not bad! At least, you are situated in that exclusive stretch but paid so much less!

With that said, let me go through with what I love about this hotel. It's AMBIANCE! That Miami-feel of laid-back beach life with a dash of modern-stylish vibe, resonates from the lobby down to its amenities and rooms. Quirky and modern furnishings accented the lobby - down to its unique lounge beds which i totally adore! Cool, bright and well-thought off colors compliment the all-white interiors. Lovely during the day yet romantic during the night! The infinity pools were laid-out well. Having breakfast with the view of the sea right in front of you, what more could you ask for.

The rooms we got are the premium ones which boasts of a sea view as well. The twin beds were actually double beds, soft and spacious with crisp white linen. Good to have an LCD tv with cable channels in the rooms and the airconditioning was great and independently controlled. Tiled floor. Clean and tidy.

Now, what needs to be tremendously improved though is their buffet breakfast spread. Although we didn't have replica dishes for the 2 times we had breakfast there, the taste needs major improvement. The tapa seem undercooked at one time. Bad! Hoping for more choices too but i do understand that this isn't a 5-star resort anyway, so that was totally fine. Just please improve on taste! Knowing that Cebuano food should be very good, I was surprised that this didn't resonate at all in Be Resorts' breakfast offerings. The choices for bread were adequate, donuts were actually good. Try to source for another coffee supplier please. :)

Another is the bathroom/shower in the rooms. Please consider re-tiling and upgrading fixtures. Cracked tiles everywhere. Not safe and it's such an eye-sore too. Moreover, are the walls and ceiling in the rooms that thin that we can actually hear the footsteps of the guests in the room right above us? Annoying, especially when you're trying to sleep! Would be great if free Wi-Fi extended to the rooms as well.

The beach was nothing to rave about, simply put.

One thing I noticed though and actually got pleasantly surprised with, is the fact that the lobby was not airconditioned. Something that I was just used to with other hotels - but this isn't something to frown about at all. The hotel's eco-friendly lobby design was actually done in such a way that their glass walls were like sliding doors that were kept open the whole time to provide a through and through ventilation for the entire space. But again, I stayed in November, I don't know how it is during the summer months.

Over-all, this boutique hotel is worth recommending. For the price that we paid for and the service that we got, our stay is indeed a lovely one.

Room Tip: Get premium sea view rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank punkyboo
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I booked at BE Resorts after having been let down by another resort, it was more expensive than I normally would have paid for Philippines accommodation however, at that price, I did believe that I would be going somewhat upmarket … how wrong I was.

Regardless of the inadequate soundproofing room to room and room to corridor the real challenge comes when attempting to dine in the restaurant.

The restaurant is, literally, dining tables positioned in a busy hotel reception area with often groups of people, with associated noise, disturbing what should be a tranquil restaurant, furthermore with front of hotel and rear of hotel doors permanently open there is such a flow through of air that an empty beer can will move across a dining table by itself, such is the draught, albeit a warm draught, that one finds oneself sitting in.

Then comes the challenge of getting served, indeed getting the attention of one of the few and far between pass bys of a waitress and, in my experiences, one could easily sit there for 45 minutes to one hour and still one would be ignored by the restaurant staff. Now to the actual meal service itself:

On this particular Sunday lunchtime I ordered their roasted chicken with baby roasted potatoes and some 45 minutes to an hour later the waitress delivered to my table the roasted chicken and, wishing me a good meal or similar, was about to turn around and leave, to her I was receiving as I had ordered, she hadn't even noticed a problem with my meal.

Looking at the plate, of chicken, I asked of her “Where are the baby roasted potatoes?”, she had only delivered the chicken. Somewhat dumbfounded she returned to the kitchen to re-emerge with a bowl of rice whilst telling me, to the effect, “Potatoes are off today” ….. Eat your heart out Basil Fawlty. :)

I responded by telling her that if I wanted roasted chicken with rice then I would have ordered roasted chicken with rice, I want baby roasted potatoes however you clearly are not going to be able to prepare and deliver then before the, already delivered, roasted chicken is stone cold and ruined thus this meal is 'dead' and I ushered that she should take away the plate of chicken.

Rather than remove the plate of chicken she returned to the kitchen to re-emerge to inform me that they were now preparing some mashed potatoes for me, “I DO NOT WANT MASHED POTATOES”, you clearly cannot deliver the meal that was ordered so please take it away but still she left the plate there and left. A short while later another waitress came to inform me that my mashed potatoes would be ready in a further 15 minutes, these clearly untrained staff just didn't get it, that one can't deliver half of the plate of food 30 minutes before delivering the second half of that plate of food … If I hadn't of been so hungry it would have been funny.

By now it was approaching mid-afternoon, if I re-ordered and ate at this time I wouldn't be able to eat again in the evening so, thanks to BE Resorts restaurant, I went without lunch. Returning to the restaurant that same evening, and having tried and tried to attract the attention of the passing waitresses, indeed the waitressing manager (Carol) had acknowledged that I was waiting to be served but continuing to be ignored, after an hour, well that is when I involved the Resort Manager.

The day prior to this I had ordered a dish with french fries, the sorriest looking and most small portion of overcooked french fries arrived on a plate, if one could actually insert one's fork into one then half of the french fry would fly off in one direction whilst the other half would fly off in the other direction, not only does BE Resorts employ untrained waitressing staff but they employ Chefs that cannot even cook a french fry, is there any hope?

Apparently not because during the chicken and potatoes fiasco is was explained to me that the problem was that the kitchen staff do not communicate with the front of house staff, just go and ask any restauranter or professional chef if a restaurant can effectively function if the kitchen staff do not communicate with the front of house staff, the answer will be a most definite “no”!

And the day previously I had wanted to make a telephone call to a Philippines mobile from the telephone in my room, it became unbelievable the fiasco that evolved being told one thing and then another whilst being denied making such a telephone call. The following day the Resort Manager informed me that, of course, I should have been allowed a telephone call from my room, so it's not just unstrained/unskilled staff in the kitchen and restaurant, this lack of training spreads to the front desk also!

Room Tip: Yes, try another resort :)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Phileas_Fogg_UK
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

It's a lovely, lovely hotel. Especially if you love modern interior design -- cue in-wall goldfish tank behind the reception and designer chairs everywhere. The hotel features an artificial beach (gravel like sand, wear shoes!) with wicker pod beds that offers a panoramic view of the ocean, and there is a beach-side bar (plays Taio Cruz and pop-house club music) as well. The hotel is quite new and clean, and the staff are definitely friendly.

Note that friendly doesn't mean efficient or well-trained. The service chaos began when I booked directly with the hotel over their website. I made sure that I sent an email to make sure they had my credit card details and that I was going to be picked from the airport. Somebody replied in 2 days to confirm that all is well. The man didn't show up at the airport, and we were waiting for half an hour before we made a frustrated call to the hotel, only to be put on hold for 15 minutes... We jumped in a taxi, arrived at the hotel, a front-desk man apologised and upgraded us to an ocean view room which also overlooks the hotel's infinity pool. The room is very spacious, complete with LCD TV and a spacious standing shower. We were happy.

We were there for three days, overall, we were happy, but with some service tweaking the whole experience would have been better. For example: when we threw the towels on the bathroom floor we expected them to be changed; only for them to be hung up on our racks again. Two free bottles of water per day we were promised; only the chambermaid forgot to put them in our fridge two days in a row and the reception staff would refrain from giving them out to you because the water costs 36pesos each. Shower amenities didn't get replaced either. And even though there was a kettle in our room, there was no cups, no tea, no coffee. When we asked for two cups to be delivered to our room, it took two days. When we showed up for breakfast at 9am, 90% of the food from the buffet were gone even though it was supposed to serve until 10. When we dined at the restaurant, it took an hour for the food to arrive (but when they arrived the dishes were delicious). When we asked for a pina colada, the waitress returned 15 mins later to tell us there was no coconut milk. When we re-ordered a mojito, the same waitress came back 15 mins later to say there's no cocktail altogether. Frustrated, we went down to the beach side bar to order... it took them half an hour to make it (cue malfunctioning blender), except it tasted mainly of water with next to no alcohol nor pineapple in it...
If you are going to be out of the hotel 95% of the time, this is the perfect hotel for you as the architecture is great and the beds are comfy and the view is stunning. But don't expect more than a beautiful room and a self-sunstainable comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view, as high as possible
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scoobagoose
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

My friends and I booked Be Resorts for a weekend getaway. Our main objective is to do some bonding, seafood and beach tripping. The resort didn't disappoint, what you see in their website is also as nice as in actual. It has a very modern architecture and design, including the furnitures used. The rooms we got was clean, spacious with the necessary amenities (flatscreen tv, mini ref, etc). The bed is big enough for two and was comfortable enough. The resort has 2 pools and has a great view of the beach. There are several cabanas at the beach where you can lounge around, chill out while watching sunset and sipping cocktails, sunbathe, or sleep while enjoying the breeze and sounds of waves.

What we didn't like was the breakfast that came with the room. Though it was served buffet-style, the main dish selections were not appetizing enough, limited choices and bland tasting. I ended up just having cereals, buttered toast and some fruits. They weren't what we've expected considering our impression of the hotel. I guess the adjusted their menu line-up for the Korean market. There were a large group of Korean tourists during our stay.

The beach is nice, though the sand was a mixture of pebbles, crushed corals and white sand. It's not comfortable to walk barefoot in the sand because of the pebbles/small stones. The water was clear and very inviting.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Be Resorts - Mactan? Share your experiences!