“No, thank you!”
Review of BE Resort, Mactan

BE Resort, Mactan
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Booked for CNY weekend this year, but had to leave after the first night as our expectation did not match with what we found at BE Resort.
Although airport pick up and check in went very smooth and without problems the overall quality is what is lacking. We have a completely different understanding of what a Resort is and should provide to its guests. Food quality (we had lunch at the pool side) was really bad, breakfast (the next morning) as well, juices were not fresh and tasted badly, too. The so called Restaurant was literally part of the Hotel lobby, so it was very busy and noisy. To reach the pool and beach area you also had to pass the "Restaurant". It seemed that the staff was unable to cope with their assigned duties, whereas some of them tried at least. As said, we left BE Resort on the second day right after breakfast and moved to another Resort 200 m down the road, where we enjoyed the rest of the CNY weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank M_RAK999
There are newer reviews for BE Resort, Mactan

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Its lined up with luxury resorts at mactan. Abaca resort is next door while movenpick and shangri la are walking distance. The room was nice and clean. The buffet breakfast has a variety of choice. You get what you pay for. Most people they cater to are koŕeans. Quite crowded at times. Good views however sand is not fine. Didnt try to swim because there is too much seawèeds. During late afternoon the beach is on low tide like no water at all. So you should bear in mind to swim earlier. Food menu at the restaurant is very limited hope they had more. Check in take too long. However all the staff were courteous and attentive.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here when it was still a Microtel and we actually had a great time. Hotel was brand new and it was fun and very boutique-y. We got great rooms (although not too big). I normally do my research before I travel and so my expectations are managed. We didn't really interact with the staff too much as we had a busy schedule exploring the city. Great area to just lay by the beach. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kroque
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I spent three nights at Be in their Classy room. It was clean with a pretty view of the ocean. Comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom is fine, but the bathtub is installed in a way that water collects against the wall, forming a canal of soapy water as you shower. Yuck! The bath towels are HUGE, which some people like. I was always nervous about the edge of my towel accidentally dipping into the above-mentioned bathwater. The free wi-fi's pretty decent, and the air-conditioner worked well.

The complimentary breakfast goes from 6:00-10:00, which is great for late risers. The food overall is only so-so, but there are always a few items that are quite tasty (the congee and fried danggit come to mind). My wife and I couldn't believe how tasty the coffee was!

Room service was good and very reasonably priced (two club sandwiches and two glasses of fresh juice plus service charge came to 918 pesos). Good atmosphere and cocktails at the bar. Dinner at their restaurant was enjoyable and also reasonably priced. More local offerings would be appreciated. Too much western food!

The pool was clean and fun to swim in. The beach is an attractive and comfortable place to read a book and take pictures, but not that great for walking or swimming.

My wife and I both got very nice Aroma Bliss Harmony massages at Be for less than half the price of an average massage for one person (around 6,000 pesos) at the Shangri-La. Surely, you get what you pay for. But if you just want a good massage without costly frills (and TreeShade up the road toward Mactan Shrine is fully booked -- half the price of Be), you'll love the service and convenience of staying on the resort. We left the parlor walking on clouds.

The best thing about Be Resort is surely the staff, who are very kind and helpful. Everywhere we went on the resort we were greeted with friendly hellos. Many of them showed they really cared about doing a good job to make us feel comfortable, some even initially refusing a tip. Of course, I always insisted!

Be Resort is located in a nice area and is a great introduction to Cebu. It is close to the airport and a short jeepney ride (8 pesos) away from Mactan Shrine and Saac market. A taxi ride from Ayala shopping center in uptown Cebu City back to the resort through rush hour traffic came to about 265 pesos (meter) plus 50 (to compensate the driver for the lack of a return passenger).

Are you looking to buy packages of dried mango to take back home? The souvenir shop sells them for a reasonable price (69 pesos, I think), but they may not carry the best brands (7D or Philippines Brand, we were told). If you have the time and enjoy mixing with the locals, the market next to Mactan Shrine is a good place to stock up. We got 100 gram packs of 7D for 65 pesos each.

Didn't bring enough cash? Be Resort will change $1 USD to 42 pesos at the time of this writing. The front desk, unfortunately, has little cash on hand. You may have to visit a money changer at Mactan Shrine. Though initially offered 38 pesos per dollar, it wasn't hard to find a money changer who would give us the same rate as Be.

Anyway, if you're going to Cebu for the first time and need an affordable and reliable place to stay, we recommend Be Resort. We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KoreanIan
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I went to Be after a a week of business travel. I stayed one nights. The relax experience was excellent. I found a friendly and nice staff. The hotel style is modern with a incredible point of view on the see. The room is clean . Excellent is the restaurant .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cinosia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I'm not a fan of luxurious hotels, however this is one of the few classy and sophisticated hotels i visited in Mactan that are cheaper and accessible. I'm not pretty sure if the beach sand is natural or not, but i'm not impressed of its texture. One thing i was amazed so much was the view from the hotel room. And the infinity pool looks good but smells chlorine so much that it stings my nose.The staff are very pleasant but some might be good once you give out tip. I notice that when one bell boy somehow refused helping me carry our luggage cause I was a bit tired from my trip from Negros. But when i tried to reach him something, he volunteered carrying my bag. I'm a backpacker by the way and carrying my own bag is not a problem. But it's funny to realize how people sometimes become sooooo materialistic. I would like also to commend their food though expensive it delicious. And the furnishings, they look good and modern.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph Bernard A
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I just came back from a fabulous 2-day wedding celebration in Cebu. We were booked at Be Resorts, and we had a marvelous time!

1. The staff were very courteous. Smile, and the world smiles back at you :-)
2. The rooms were clean and spacious. No bath tub in our room, but then the pools outside are fantastic.
3. The beach front was pebble+sand so the kids stayed mostly in the pool. However, I hope they add more fine sand... It's picture perfect though. :-)
4. The Activity Center was under Renovation (that was the only bummer during our stay), but then again we were out most of the day anyway to see Cebu's lovely spots.
5. I asked for a pedicurist/manicurist but the frontdesk said they didn't offer that service. I went out and fortunately I found a newly-opened salon (Khenya's) just 5 minutes away. I got their flyers and gave them to Be Resort's front desk, and they said they would gladly share the info to their guests who might need that service in the future.
6. The breakfast buffet was very satisfactory, we had plenty of choices, and the congee was my favorite, also the crispy danggit!
7. They have a hot/cold water dispenser near each elevator, which is really nice and safer than putting electric kettles inside the rooms (some guests do forget to turn those off!)

Overall, I would recommend this resort to my friends and hope that they'll enjoy their stay as much as we did. Thank you Be!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the beach / sunrise. :-)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
#12 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to BE Resort, Mactan? Share your experiences!