“I love Abaca, the best hotel ever”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I have never written a review before, but after my stay in Abaca, I really have to write one for them as i have too much to say about this lovely hotel. This trip was to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, therefore, I want something special. Before our arrival, Abaca has already offered us a very special dinner & spa package. However, we did not confirm the package before our arrival, but our butler has set up a table for us in one of the cabana at the poolside for dinner upon our arrival (we arrived at 4pm). We decided to take the dinner & spa package one hour before dinner but our butler still could manage to arrange a very nice and romantic dinner for us. They pulled out one of the daybed in one of the cabana and set up a table for us, with candles all around the infinity pool. Perfect setting for our celebrating dinner. The dinner was wonderful, very nice food with good portion.

On our second day of our stay, we spent most of our time in the cabana and followed by Spa in later afternoon. We decided to go try something local for dinner in the evening and our butler was very helpful and arranged a taxi for us. We were offered a complimentary dessert when we returned from dinner. Sweet!!!

Since our flight was at 10pm in the evening on our last day in the hotel and they were unable to offer us late check out due to availability. Abaca was able to offer us to stay in the cabana till 8pm after we check out without extra charge. We stayed in cabana for the entire afternoon and we were surprised to receive complimentary foot massage and a bottle of sparkling wine from them as well. Abaca also arranged one of the poolside room for us to wash up and dress up before dinner. We had our last dinner in the restaurant before heading to the airport. Our butler gave us a very nice bag of seashell as gift just before we left....

Our experience staying in Abaca is awesome, although our stay in the hotel costs more than anything else in the area, but it is all worthy. Every time we left our room, our room was being cleaned with new towels. Their staff are very efficient comparing to other parts of Php. It is great that even my fussy husband is fully satisfied and happy about the hotel. My husband and I had a wonderful and romantic time in the resort. I love Abaca and their stuff so much.... I will definitely come back again if i go to Cebu again

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Susie8876

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here over Easter in a poolside room and never wanted to leave. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and the airport pickup was seamless and they arranged a cabana for us to rest in until our boat arrived to take us out for the day. The resort is fabulous and the rooms are well appointed and a good size. One of the things I appreciated the most was that we always had at least 6 bath towels in our room and they were replenished throughout the day. The service is exceptional, the staff just can't do enough for you. They even went to the trouble to buy some after sun for me when I got sunburnt. Amongst other things they organised snorkeling trips, restaurant reservations and cars for us. The pool is lovely and fresh water, so refreshing. You can also swim out front of the hotel although there is no beach there. We tried to snorkel out front but there were no fish there like I've heard from friends who've stayed at the Shangri-la. The food at the restaurant was good and they were very accommodating at customising dishes for my husband who is a fussy eater. We really felt like we were in paradise and we can not wait to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LionHongKong
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Upon arrival we are immediately directed to our room, the butler explains the accommodations, having a 5 month old baby its nice that they provide a crib, bottle sterilizer, and baby bath, even without asking, they anticipated their customer's needs. Ordering room service is good too the service is fast and the food is great. And if you need to go out of the resort they make sure that the taxi, jeep or who ever's going to fetch you is on it way, here in cebu the restaurants fetch their guests from their respective hotels. Upon arriving at the hotel after having dinner outside, they gave a free delicious deserts and a lot of it I may say which is unexpected, and highly appreciated. Every time we went out even just for a stroll our room is almost always being cleaned. Even our used baby bottle is being cleaned. In this hotel there are lots of free snack and drinks, just by being in the pool area. Very nice hotel with very courteous and reliable staff. The best service ever.

Room Tip: Get the room beside the pool
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank PamilyaLakwatsera
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We stayed at Abaca for 4 nights with a toddler (15 months old) and had a great time. The rooms, service, food and everything you would expect from a luxury boutique resort are here. However what impressed me most was the care they took to accomodate young children. To start with, they have a comfortable nanny's quarter adjucent to a kid's play room. As we brought our helper with us, that worked very well. Also, the kichen offered to help prepare food for our child, so we could feed him with freshly prepared meals every day, rather than commercial baby food. Obviously they are very well equipped with other kids essentials such as toys, high chairs, baby cots, etc. Staff were very friendly, helpful and courteous to all of us and made staying there so pleasant an experience. All in all this was one of the best family holidays ever - highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mochabert
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Your stay at Abaca starts with a clean/ luxury pick-up and once you enter the large gates at the entrance you are transported into an enclave of lushness, tranquility, unparallelled service and a seamless check-in that seems not to have happened! (Thanks Glenn)

The rooms are large, very clean and Philippine chic; extremely comfortable+++, with views over the pool to the sea.

The food for all meals is superb, excellent size servings of highest quality produce from an imaginative menu. Bouquets to Chef Wade and his staff.

The days are spent lounging: either in the room , on the balcony or in the pool-side cabanas, a perfect place to relax and unwind. Activities are available but why leave your perfect cabana?

The butler service (thanks Arron) is unsurpassed, your every need attended to. The butlers most attentive and never too intrusive.
The novelty of being called Sir christian name and Ma'am christian name never tires.

If you have to visit Cebu/ Mactan Is. you must stay here, the neighbouring resorts though highly rated and cheaper do NOT compare.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lyn-tony
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We stayed 5 nights on what was the final Philippine leg of our honeymoon.
I’ve written reviews on all the places we stayed and this was the one I found most difficult so I’ll apologise now if I sound at all like I contradict myself.

If you look at this purely as a hotel and restaurant, and are not worried about leaving the ‘walls’ then i guarantee you will not be disappointed as Abacca really is a beautiful hotel experience.

From the moment you are greeted at the airport the service you’ll receive until check out is nothing short of phenomenal, and while everyone we came in contact with was great I’d really like to say a special thank you to Arron who is one of the politest people i’ve come across, and who made every effort to leave us feeling spoilt rotten.

The rooms are decorated to a really high standard, especially the bathrooms, and the whole feel of abaca is one of luxury, none more so than in the restaurant where chef Wade really does delivery across every dish (he even created a 5 course meal for us that was not on the menu as we said we fancied something different!!).

So you’re probably thinking why the difficultly writing a review..........well simply because the location of Abacca really doesn’t live up to everything else that this place is about.
That is potential my fault for not researching Mactan/Cebu well enough prior to booking, however I took it for granted that there would be a great beach if not at the hotel then very near by, which unfortunately there isn’t (though they do offer a really good snorkelling boat trip).
It’s also smack next to one of the most hideous hotels buildings i’ve seen in a long time (the Hilton – decorated in PINK CONCRETE?!?!)
If i could lift this place up and stick it on a secluded bay somewhere I would probably never want to holiday anywhere else in the world again, however it’s surrounding are simply not in the same league as the property and atmosphere created by the staff.
Don’t get me wrong the local people are really really lovely and Cebu is a nice enough city, but this place deserves to be in a beautiful setting too.

If you are in Cebu then I definitely recommend staying here, though if you’re travelling from the UK like us (or somewhere else thats a long way away), there really is not need to stay longer than a couple of days).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Clappo52
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We stayed at Abaca for 3 nights having travelled to Cebu for a special family wedding. Abaca was a complete haven after staying in the city for the wedding. The service was absolutely outstanding, the staff anticipate your every whim. The room spacious and well appointed. The pool was perfect - with the choice of either being under the shade of a cabana or in the sun on a lounger. I really have nothing to fault this wonderful small hotel. I did have one or 2 (very minor) points which the manager responded to in person which is why this hotel is what it is - managed deftly and hands on. Mention has to be made of the food at the restaurant. Breakfast, lunch and dinner for all 3 days were superb. The seafood in particular was so superbly cooked, the flavours of each dish sublime and quite frankly the food was faultless (trust me that's high praise from someone like me!!). The small gym was well equipt for such a small hotel with a good treadmill to run off those glorious meals. We loved the homemade ciabatta which was noticed by the staff so they gave us a bag of it to take home and freeze - what a lovely touch. Thanks Abaca!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!