“Exceptional Service --- Impeccable Staff!”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Since my visit to Abaca, I have been describing this luxury resort to my friends and family as a "perfect hideaway" and Cebu's "hidden gem". Why? During our stay at Abaca for 3 nights/4 days as a treat for my husband's 50th birthday, we were fortunate to have met the nicest and most efficient/hospitable people who treat you like family. Each service was done with utmost care by the well-trained, courteous staff...and they exceeded all our expectations. They pay attention to detail and anticipate all your needs. Personally, the resort felt "homey" to me because of how the staff were very welcoming and genuine...they know how to pamper you at the same time give you privacy. They make that "extra mile" to create an unforgettable experience for you at Abaca...in our case, upon returning to our suite after celebrating my husband's birthday dinner, the staff (singing happy birthday) surprised my husband with a mango cake and decorated the room with lots of candle votives (such a romantic ambience)...then comes the sparkling wine...it was divine!!! My husband was speechless! On another occasion, when I mentioned to Edwin that I was going to the Lantaw Floating Restaurant for dinner without reservations, he called the restaurant to make sure that we will be seated that eveningt (I learned later on that this restaurant accepts two weeks advanced reservations due to its popularity). Also, I had no problem with my gluten-free diet. The kitchen staff prepared gluten-free breads, muffins, etc. every breakfast time which was a nice treat. Nice option that you can dine in the restaurant, at the cabana or at the comfort of your own suite/patio...all are lovely choices but eating at the cabna was the most relaxing experience. The staff were prompt in delivering the meals and were accurate in taking our orders (Thank you, Christian!). Love, love the ocean view from the suite and I enjoyed watching every day the peaceful sunrise and sunset which I haven't done for the longest time. Overall, it was a relaxing escape (physically, mentally and spiritually) where I was tucked away in a charming, cozy suite. Thanks a million to the Abaca Resort Management Team (Sir Glenn) and Staff (Edwin, Raffy & Angelo)! I found solace away from home!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rileyboo28

Reviewed 25 August 2012

What can I say! I don't think it's necessary to go over the rooms and facilities, since it's obvious that Abaca is top class.

What I would like to say is, the staff were professional, courteous and so helpful during our stay, we would definitely come back just for that!

For example, we wanted to go next door to B hotel for dinner, a butler walked us over, and then when we were finished came for us to drive us back.

When we wanted to go on a island tour, but something that was not on the menu, one of the butlers took us to his home island, to a secluded beach where we had a lot of fun!

Our last night, we were having dinner at the restaurant, but our children fell asleep so we wanted to have the food to go, the staff had the whole table moved to our villa!

Our children were looked after so well, they actually said they missed the butlers.

It is a small resort, so if you're looking for a huge, busy place this is not it. But if you want to be well cared for and have a genuinely relaxed time, I couldn't find a better place in Cebu.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank BarryChoi
Reviewed 21 August 2012

From two people who love to travel and have had the good fortune to do it frequently--
This place is top notch.
The service is flawless. The staff is friendly, warm and eager to please.
The food is delicious, and you'll never go hungry.
Grounds are lovely, rooms spacious and comfortable.
You won't be a disappointed.
Our only hesitation in recommending....is that too many people may visit our little jewel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JoannaMichelle
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed at the beautiful Abaca the first week of May 2012. Loved our time in our room, poolside and dining! The poolside servers were all over the top too many to name! ........Christian took special care to get our souvenier shirts. Ralphie (spelling) was our butler and answered every request...........and then some! We had spent 3 weeks in the Philippines in November and had a wish list when we arrived. Ralphie took us to the nearby market, to the Whale Sharks, and more shopping - all for specific souveniers - and also organized a tricycle adventure for us! We cannot thank him enough! When we return to the Philippines we will stay at the Abaca!
They gave us a special anniversary dinner - really a special week! Really loved it!
Thanks to everyone!
Vern and T-
USA

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank IPO1959
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Abaca is a splendid holiday location - it captures the ambience of the local culture, has flawless service, all within a small (and private), luxurious boutique hotel. My wife and I took a holiday here, to get away from it all and Abaca truly allowed us to relax. The service was flawless - they predicted every need we had without being asked yet neither of us noticed their presence. The lush, tropical layout of the resort property was breathtaking and the room design was beautiful. If you are looking to find serenity - visit Abaca.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tom R
Reviewed 28 April 2012

When you build yourself up to something it often turns out to be a disappointment and sadly this was the case with the Abaca. I feel a little churlish writing this in the light of all the other glowing reports, but if you allow the myth to persist it will not improve. The Abaca charge top dollar so be prepared when someone says to be honest it wasn’t value for money.
The hotel is in a gorgeous spot and the views are stunning – so long as you overlook the half finished building site to the right and the gawking guests hanging over the wall at the Be resort to the left. The Be resort had a wedding on the beach one day and the deafening noise from their speakers was awful. Also looking out to seat night so long as you overlook the Ro-Ro ferry terminal unloading large trucks and the waft of diesel fumes on the air...
The grounds are lovely (so long as you don’t wander into the waste land area just before the gym).
The staff are very diligent and work hard and are very friendly, as several reviewers have said .
The Poolside villa number 2 was nice but a few niggles, the Ipod dock didn’t work the taps couldn’t be switched on without hitting the mirrors. The shower was a bit ineffectual and it was hard to rinse. This was compounded by the strange shampoo and shower gel provided they left you covered in an oily difficult to rinse slime. After day one I used my own carry along shower gel and shampoo.
The aircon was a mystery – set to a constant temperature and it didn’t go into idle mode on attaining it – it turned off – the whole unit. Not a problem except starting up again was noisy and woke you up. So that coupled with curtains and blinds that don’t close properly and a pretty uncomfortable bed, made for poor sleep quality.
The biggest disappointment was without doubt the restaurant. We were told that the chef loves a challenge, well maybe that challenge should be to ensure adequate provision of ingredients as the ethos seemed to be print a menu and then substitute at will when the provisions run out. It wasn’t like there was a throng of customers to exhaust ingredients, most evenings saw maybe 6 full tables.
We did see the chef for about an hour each night he leaned on the serving counter and then left, I think I saw him enter his kitchen maybe 3 times.
I will take some time to outline the food issues - On night one I ordered the grilled tuna with crispy asparagus and that was what was served and it was good quality and well served, The tempura style asparagus was unusual but worked well. We also ordered the beef short ribs, no complaints tasty and well cooked. The dessert – crème brûlée was pretty poor. The custard base in crème brûlée is meant to be set and not liquid, this was totally liquid and the caramelized sugar was so hard as to be impossible to eat. I am usually able to break the top of a crème brûlée by downward pressure using the bowl of a spoon, the full force of one hand did not break this armour plated crust.
Night two - The bouillabaisse was grim, (note to the chef if you serve baby clams in this dish rinse the sand out before cooking!) The lamb shank, I asked to substitute the caramelised onion mash for any other non onion mash (explaining I am not a big onion lover) I got some other mash but liberally sprinkled with the missing onions!
Night three, we ordered a repeat on night one but reversing our choices – this was served charmingly at the end on the quay; why not in the cabana I am not sure. Slight problem it was pitch dark. This time the grilled tuna came with crispy tempura cauliflower (note two to the cook – that doesn’t work the cauliflower unlike the asparagus holds water and makes the whole dish disgusting and soggy!) and a couple of sauté potatoes. The beef short ribs were excellent.
At breakfast one morning I heard one guest told we have no mango for the breakfast banana and mango pancake. This is Cebu they literally grow on trees! The local SM supermarket is 15 minutes away, they sell fruit!
It wasn’t like you could go anywhere else to eat other than the hotel either so you literally are a captive audience. By the end of night two had I been able to eat elsewhere, I would have done.
All in all a nice enough place the staff work hard at the friendliness, but it’s not the heaven on earth as described by others, or maybe we caught them on a bad week?
The spa was well appointed clean and nice but the massage was pretty average and a bit half hearted in truth. Not sure I would return as it was (very) expensive and I think I can get better value, certainly in Thailand and probably in Cebu and its environs or other parts of the Philippines.

Room Tip: check the shower, check the aircon check blinds and curtains, not everything works!