“Amazing Experience! Perfect except for the weather”

Abaca Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing Experience! Perfect except for the weather”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

From start to finish Abaca really shows off its quality. The rooms are fantastic we stayed in both the standard room and also got upgraded to a villa which was savage. Staff couldn't be more helpful if they tried they will literally do any thing for you just ask. They made a big fuss over us as it as our honeymoon and my wife's birthday. Breakfast was amazing especially the french toast brioche and really great coffee. Dinner was lovely with nice complimentary cocktails after. The Spa was really good with fantastic massages. It rained constantly when we were there so didn't get the chance to make full use of the pool and cabanas but we loved every minute of our stay anyway.

4 Thank MrFabrizio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Abaca is a boutique resort that matches luxury with extraordinary service. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Not only is the resort five star, with lap pools in some rooms, huge villas, and beautiful styling, but the staff welcome you with a smile at any hour of the day.

We travelled there with 2 kids, and my husband's parents, and we were treated like royalty.
Our stay was over christmas and staff arranged for a christmas tree to be installed in our room while were at dinner so the children could wake up to a tree and lots of presents on Christmas day. Nothing was left unnoticed.

The restaurant was amazing. From breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chef Pat greeted you daily and at most meals to see if you had any specific requests, and made good conversation, giving us tips for travelling around the island, or advice on which food was great to order.

Every meal was absolutely fabulous and the restaurant is open to the public and every night it was full - 70 plus people - which is an indication of its quality and reputation.

A little extra - if you can go out island hopping, I highly recommend it….. Abaca will send out a personal chef and he will cook a BBQ for you on a lovely island about an hour from the resort, and you can drop into a couple more and snorkel with fish on the way home.

I can't recommend this place enough. It's a jewel in the crown of Cebu.

Thanks to all who looked after us. It made for a memorable family trip.

Room Tip: The Oceanfront Spa Villa was amazing and fabulously roomy, and the Poolside oceanfront suite was als...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank sarah c
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank soldier678
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a beautiful, secluded hotel. The small size of the hotel gives it a real sense of exclusive luxury. The Master Oceanfront Suite that we had was very comfortable and we had a gorgeous view of the pool and the sea. We really enjoyed the spa (we tried the Abaca signature massage and foot reflexology), which was small and itimate, yet able to accommodate us immediately each time, even without reservation. The only reason that I am giving 4 out of 5 stars is the butler service. This hotel does not have a lobby or concierge desk. Instead, there is a phone number you can call and there are butlers all around the hotel waiting to help you. While the service was always courteous, it was sometimes inefficient and difficult to follow up with the same person. On more than one occasion, we waited for over an hour to hear anything back from a butler who was supposed to be helping us. There are not so many activities in the area, but we enjoyed diving with Fun & Sun Dive & Travel just down the road.

2 Thank Yuri S
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We´re quit experienced travelers, but the Abaca Resort in Cebu really took us by surprise...
From the way we were met and picked up at the airport by our butler, all through our 7 night stay was a wonderful experience.
Abaca goes every way to exceed all you expectations. All the staff are super friendly, and greet you by your name and a warm smile from day one...:-)
You´re pampered all the way with excellent service, fantastic food and a nice family like atmosphere...
The suits are beautiful, spacious, nicely decorated and super clean. One of our first questions were; How about breakfast? Our butler smiled and answered, what ever you want Sir, whenever you want it, in the restaurant at your table, in your room or in your private cabana by the pool...:-) That´s the answer you want to hear, but it´s not very common...:-)
The Australian master chef Patrick has it all lined up for you... The food is absolutely excellent, the menu well combined, and Patrick will visit every table to make sure that everybody is absolutely happy... Any requests, he´ll make it happen, right away...
Bear in mind that this is originally a restaurant that added 9 suits to their premises... The owner himself is also a chef...:-)
Don´t be surprised if the general manager Glenn will serve you your breakfast himself... All the plentiful staff has 100% focus and attention to their guests, and it makes you happy to see that they all work together to create such a nice and friendly environment for their guests.
On the downside; Nothing much really, but the surroundings of the hotel is not the best, it´s like a small oasis amongst some not so nice buildings... And the beaches of Mactan Island are not very good. Abaca will soon expand their beach side with artificial sand, this will be a further improvement, but it´s not much they can do with the water quality and the seaweed thats coming ashore all the time...
If you´re staying in Cebu area, look no further, it doesn´t get much better than this...:-)
If we could, we would wrap up this place, and bring it with us to our next destinations...:-)
Thanks you guys!
Trecia and Erik - Norway

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but ask for top floor... No one above, best view...:-)
3 Thank ErikPinnaas
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We experienced Abaca Hotel for 4 nights, and it was the most memorable of all the hotels we stayed in the Philippines. With only 9 rooms, it seems that the butlers spend every waking moment wondering what he or she can do next to make each guest's stay more pleasant. That is not to say that the service is intrusive or there is forever someone hovering in your space. Quite the opposite; but at the mere sign from you that something more might be wanted, a butler will appear to accommodate your wish or to suggest something that might make that hour of your day a bit more beautiful . As my lovely traveling companion told me, "They make me feel like a princess."

The rooms are spacious and comfortable with local furnishings and art work. The bathrooms are luxurious. The restaurant and chef are excellent and accommodate both local and overseas tastes. The complimentary breakfast is made-to-order, delicious and enough for the rest of the day. The infinity pool is delightful, as are the private cabanas. Abaca is a place to hang out and relax and be pampered.

My only regret is that I arranged a full day island hopping tour in advance through an agency I found online. When I arrived at the Abaca, I found that Abaca also offers an island hopping tour with its own boat, but it is not advertised on their website. If I go to Abaca again, which I plan to do, I will use Abaca to plan all my day trips.

This is a first class resort in every way. If the management of Abaca reads these reviews, I will take this opportunity to say "thank you."

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deborah362
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

From the reservation, they were accommodating and nice. They called me because I had problems with my booking. They really helped me solve my inquiries. The resort was quiet and lovely. When we arrived, the "butler" really made us feel they were happy to have us as their guests. The room we stayed was the masterfront, it was big. There was a separate tub, and the rain shower was on the opposite side. The only downside was the lack of bidet but it did not dampen what I thought was a perfect escape from my very stressful week. The food or list of menu offered at their restaurant were, judging from we ordered, delicious and not that commonly found in other restaurants. Two thumbs up! My daughter also really enjoyed the infinity pool. I will be back if only to just stay and enjoy the peace I felt when we stayed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,031 reviews
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island

Been to Abaca Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!