“Steady”

Ranked #43 of 55 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Steady”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Infinity pool is relaxing. Check Agoda rates first before booking. Rooms are well-maintained and clean. Bathroom is modern and bright. However, floor tiles in bath area are very slippery and maybe dangerous. The Continental breakfast was heavenly but cooking time and preparation are very slow.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The staff were all friendly and polite, but the ownership/management seem to have no concern for guest satisfaction of security.

I'm a tennis player, so I was very happy to find a resort in the Cebu area that offered not one, but two tennis courts. I've played tennis all over the Philippines. It's a great place to play. i find the humidity a great challenge and you can always get a ball boy for 50 to 100 pesos per hour. You hit a lot more balls when you're not chasing all your errant shots. I have a lot of those. I should note that I verified the tennis courts via email to MyCebu booking site and via Vista Mar's website.

I was excited to see the fences surrounding the tennis courts as our taxi approached Vista Mar. Much to my dismay, as we got closer, I could see that it was really just a fenced in plot of waist high weeds. These have not been tennis courts in a long long time. No nets, no lines, no tennis surface, just weeds.

Still the pictures of the resort left us with hope that our stay might still be pleasant. The tennis was not a deal breaker by itself. The front desk clerk was apologetic about the tennis courts. The hotel seemed empty. There was one couple in the restaurant and we never saw anyone else during our stay there.

We selected a ground floor room with a view out to the sea. The room appeared fine. A decent, basic room by Philippine standards. There room has two French Doors leading out toward the beach. Outside the doors was what must have been a patio at one time. It even had an in ground spa in the same condition as the tennis courts. These were not advertised as an amenity, so no harm no foul, but I think it's an indication of the managements mind set.

I noticed that the French Doors had no locking pins at the top and bottom of the doors. Without these you cannot secure the doors. With the doors locked and closed, you can push them open with about ten pounds of pressure. My buddy who had the room next to us had the same doors in the same conditions. It did look like they may have had locks at one time. I wasn't happy about this, but at least they had a digital locking safe in a wall unit, in the room. It was too small for any kind of laptop, so we would have to leave those with the front desk and we couldn't open it, so I called the front desk for assistance. They sent a young man who had a key and was able to unlock if for us. As he was working the safe I notices it sliding around. I reached into the safe and lifted. I came up in my hand. The safe was not even secured to the flimsy particle board shelf. I could literally pick it up and walk around with it. What a joke.
When I pointed this out to the man, he gave me a puzzled look as if to say, "why is that a problem?" I would get this look from everyone I dealt with at Vista Mar.

We decided to take a walk out to the beach before going to the front desk to voice our concerns about the lack of security in the rooms. As we walked out of the room, we were hit with a very strong sewage odor. We didn't think much of it at first, except that it got much stronger as we neared the beach. I don't think Vista Mar could generated enough sewage to cause such a stench with no more than a few guests a night, but there are several large hotels very near and I suspect that 4:00 that day was the time to purge their sewage. The smell was gone by the next morning, so I don't know if that's a common state.

I would not swim on this beach under any circumstances. The sewage smell was so bad, you could not have gone swimming in any of the 3 pools either. Actually, only two of the pools were in working order. The next day only one was working. Signs said, "no swimming Heavy Chemicals in Water" or something to that effect.

We went to the front desk and asked them to call a taxi. It should be noted that Vista Mar is way off the beaten path, so it will take at least 20-30 minutes to get a taxi. While we waited for the taxi. I tried to explain my security concerns to the clerk, who gave me that familiar, puzzled look.

We ordered some food from the restaurant while we waited for the taxi. The food was fine, but a funny side note; the restaurant had run out of bananas. That's a first for me in the Philippines, but when you truly don't care at all about customer service, I suppose anything is possible.

The toilets in restroom that serves the lobby and common areas has no toilet seats. This is a quirk you usually find in the much lower end businesses. Not something you'd expect from any decent hotel, even in the Philippines.

We left all our valuables in the safe in the manager's office. I'm glad we did as I realized when we returned that they only had one security guard and he was stationed at the front gate, which is in the front of the resort, a good 200 meters from our faulty French doors.

During our entire stay, there was never a manager to address such issues.

I had booked 3 nights at this dump, but before we went into town to look for another hotel, I notified the clerk that we would be checking out in the morning, so we would be there just one night. I listed all my reasons for leaving. I had a deposit which amounted to about 2 nights fees.

For what it's worth, there is no wifi in the rooms and they turn it off in the lobby at midnight.

When I tried to check out the next day, they refused to give me any refund of any kind. In fact they wanted me to pay for all three nights plus the deposit I had already paid. They brought the security guard into the lobby to hold our taxi and the told the taxi something that made him very hostile toward us when we finally were allowed to leave. I argued with the clerk for about 40 minutes. it was bad enough that they were making us pay for two rooms for all three nights, but even after talking with MyCebu and verifying my deposit was paid they still would not subtract my deposit from the three nights cost.

To their credit MyCebu eventually refunded my original deposit after I spoke with them several times. It took a couple days fro them to notify me of this, but I appreciate the gesture.

If you book this hotel, you are doing so at your own risk and the risk is substantial. Shame on the owners of Vista Mar. This place is a disgrace.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Anywhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mattl13

Travellers are raving about these Lapu Lapu hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This hotel was a major disappointment for us, as they have different standards in terms of the race of the person staying there. On their website, we'd read about something as basic as complimentary water (majorly required in a hot climate) --well, at the reception we were told this is not the case unless you're Korean or Japanese. And to top it, they have signs all over as well as inform you that outside food is not permitted. Honestly, if you're gonna stay at a place like this would you really wanna spend most of your savings on water??? The beach in front of the hotel is hardly a beach --not at all clean plus it's super tiny.

For us, the good part of the hotel was it's otherwise location, kinda close to other places.. though you can't walk out easily --to get to the road outside the hotel is a decent 15-20 mins walk. The restaurant staff was helpful, they were very willing to organize vegetarian food for us --exceptionally tasty was their garlic fried rice!

For the most of it, I'd say this isnt really the place to stay --not if you're looking for a romantic getaway --there is some seclusion feeling as per location, yet because it's also a country club --lots of families holidaying too!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Veggiefeast
Pollonia, Greece
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I love this resort very much. The widest beach view so far in Mactan Island. I find peace because of its exclusivity. All employees are helpful. The atmosphere soooo relaxing. I have the wonderful time lying under the tree beside the sea reading my book undisturbed. I did not expect this experience to happen here because the resort is located 15 minutes from the airport and within the city. I thought it is also crowded just like any other resort in Mactan Island. I have a great time. I look forward to my next vacation in Vista Mar. A perfect place to unwind and be myself.

Room Tip: This resort is only 15 minutes from the airport. 3 minutes to a 24/7 store. 5 minutes to the famous...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Calgary
Reviewed 11 October 2011

It was Our (12 year old girl, 1year old and my wife) 3-rd week travelling Philippines and after staying in clean but cheap hotels throughout trip in Manila, Boracay, Puerto Gallera, I wanted to treat my family with something better. I purchased 3 night through booking.com and got a deal of 75$ per night. Room was nice BUT. EVERYTHING in this hotel is dated. Looks like they don't invest any penny to regular TLC. Bathroom floor was dirty and towels were really old (hostel quality). One toothbrush unpacked and half of minibar empty. I was offered another room but on the first floor, so we stayed in the first room on second floor with better view. This hotel is far from everything. Forget about evening trip to the mall. So we had to eat in a local restaurant. WHAT A DISASTER!!! During my trip I ate at expensive Filipino restaurants and cheap with all types of prices and food quality and as a rule price/quality was great. Here you get Medium to High end prices with Ridiculous food quality. Portions are small, not cooked properly and took forever to serve. Breakfasts are also non buffet style with infant size portions (I am 75 kgs and 176cm tall so I don't eat much and for me it was way too small). During my stay I saw only 3 more people. Hotel is desserted. Beach - what beach? It's great if you are drinking with your buddies and jump into the water and see if you hit a sea urchin or not. Overall - big disappointment, HOWEVER. View is great, Layout is nice, Staff is helpful. It could be a really good place if they paint it, fire their chef, turn on lights and clean exterior. Cheapest in the area but definitely not best. I give it 2.5 on my scale of price/quality in Philippines.

Room Tip: Second floor has a balcony, first floor is close to pools
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank vpashkov
Reviewed 10 May 2011

It was a pleasant and generally fun experience. The food was amazing and was certainly worth the price. The beach has white sands had a great wide seaview, but unfortunately I spotted a few sea urchins lying around.
The people who served us there were friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed May 2011

#26 of 55 in Lapu Lapu
EGI Resort and Hotel
EGI Resort and Hotel
#24 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Vista Mar Beach Resort & Country Club? Share your experiences!