“clean and quite”

Ranked #41 of 53 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Quezon City
“clean and quite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

from mactan airport, this place is just 30 mins away. the room we stayed in has double beds, clean and roomy. It has a sliding door that leads to the pool amenities and the beach. there are many pools, but the main pool seems to be the favorite of all as it has a scenic view of the sea. each unit seems to have direct access to a personal jacuzzi, but when we stayed there, it was covered. it would have been a nice feature to experience. though the place is clean and quite, it is a bit old. furthermore, the beach is not well maintained. if you are after a quite place to just relax and have a personal retreat, it is a good choice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank joelbizdevco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Vista Mar … Oh, where do I start?
When I booked the hotel I ordered a pick-up from the airport, oops didn’t turn up. So got a taxi and asked for the Vista Mar Hotel. Sure no problem, but what address is it I was asked. This was where the trouble started, it appeared the taxi driver thought he knew where it was but when we got there it wasn’t there. Some two hours later and a taxi fee of 600 pesos we finally arrived at the hotel. It turned out that nobody could understand the address. It has to be noted that we arrived at the Vista Mar village after only 20 minutes ride from the airport and were told by the guards that Vista Mar Beach Resort & Country Club was not in the village. During our two hour journey around Mactan my wife tried to ring the hotel three or four times, but the phone only rang out, no answer. Eventually we had a local person ride with us in the cab trying to find the hotel. After two hours and many circles we stopped at the Vista Mar Village again and the local and my wife (a Filipina) got out to talk to the guards. While the cab was parked, the driver and I noticed a sign with the Vista Mar name at the top with an arrow pointing straight ahead 10 metres. Again after a short detour it turns out the sign should have pointed right. The guards claimed that they were new and weren’t aware of the hotel.
Lesson – the address for the hotel is incorrect and the only way people can find the hotel is to ask for the Soto Grande Hotel. The telephone number listed for the Vista Mar is only manned till 5 pm, after that time there is no one to answer it. The number needs changing to the reception number.
From that bad start it only got worse. The state of the bathroom equipment was terrible. The shower mixer was stuck on tap and shower so there was insufficient water to get a real shower, and the waste cover in the shower was broken, leaving a 2 inch hole, dangerous to say the least. The waste plug on the wash hand basin had become detached from the waste pull lever so it was impossible to get a basin of water.
Then there was the coffee and tea set-up. Everything was there to make cups of tea or coffee but NO kettle.
The following morning the WC drain blocked so it would not flush properly, but after talking to room service it was fixed within a couple of hours.
The only saving grace for us was that the rooms were clean and the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, and, as there appeared to be only one or two other guests in the hotel, the two pools that were open were basically our own.
This appears to be a hotel in financial trouble, with no money being spent on normal room or facility maintenance. As a result no one seems to want to use the hotel even though heavy discounts are offered. As it appears that the Soto Grande Hotel has the same owner it is hard to understand why the Vista Mar is allowed to be so run down and bad, especially as the location and the potential facilities of the Vista Mar are wonderful.
Until the hotel is fixed up I could not recommend it.

Room Tip: Arrive in daylight and ask to see the rooms available. Upper level rooms may be better than ground...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dick L

Travellers are raving about these Lapu Lapu hotels

Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

personally I think it is all about value, what you get, what you pay...
this is not a 4 star hotel, but it has a lot going for it;
close to the airport, nice pools, a reasonable beach, great staff
if you can stay there for about 3,000 peso's then I think it is worth it, but I would not pay much more than that
a couple of things, there is wi fi but not in the rooms, only in the lobby and it does not have a/c so if you want to update your facebook it is ok but if you have any real work to do (online) this might not be a good choice
there is also more to the hotel than at first glance, a basketball court, table tennis, a bit of a sanctuary
would I stay there again, yes, as long as i did not have to do any work on the internet

Room Tip: groundfloor easier to get to the pool and beach
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ron e
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

you must try their clubhouse sandwich, once you’ll stay with this resort.

• Stayed April 2012
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Infinity pool is relaxing. Check Agoda rates first before booking. Rooms are well-maintained and clean. Bathroom is modern and bright. However, floor tiles in bath area are very slippery and maybe dangerous. The Continental breakfast was heavenly but cooking time and preparation are very slow.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The staff were all friendly and polite, but the ownership/management seem to have no concern for guest satisfaction of security.

I'm a tennis player, so I was very happy to find a resort in the Cebu area that offered not one, but two tennis courts. I've played tennis all over the Philippines. It's a great place to play. i find the humidity a great challenge and you can always get a ball boy for 50 to 100 pesos per hour. You hit a lot more balls when you're not chasing all your errant shots. I have a lot of those. I should note that I verified the tennis courts via email to MyCebu booking site and via Vista Mar's website.

I was excited to see the fences surrounding the tennis courts as our taxi approached Vista Mar. Much to my dismay, as we got closer, I could see that it was really just a fenced in plot of waist high weeds. These have not been tennis courts in a long long time. No nets, no lines, no tennis surface, just weeds.

Still the pictures of the resort left us with hope that our stay might still be pleasant. The tennis was not a deal breaker by itself. The front desk clerk was apologetic about the tennis courts. The hotel seemed empty. There was one couple in the restaurant and we never saw anyone else during our stay there.

We selected a ground floor room with a view out to the sea. The room appeared fine. A decent, basic room by Philippine standards. There room has two French Doors leading out toward the beach. Outside the doors was what must have been a patio at one time. It even had an in ground spa in the same condition as the tennis courts. These were not advertised as an amenity, so no harm no foul, but I think it's an indication of the managements mind set.

I noticed that the French Doors had no locking pins at the top and bottom of the doors. Without these you cannot secure the doors. With the doors locked and closed, you can push them open with about ten pounds of pressure. My buddy who had the room next to us had the same doors in the same conditions. It did look like they may have had locks at one time. I wasn't happy about this, but at least they had a digital locking safe in a wall unit, in the room. It was too small for any kind of laptop, so we would have to leave those with the front desk and we couldn't open it, so I called the front desk for assistance. They sent a young man who had a key and was able to unlock if for us. As he was working the safe I notices it sliding around. I reached into the safe and lifted. I came up in my hand. The safe was not even secured to the flimsy particle board shelf. I could literally pick it up and walk around with it. What a joke.
When I pointed this out to the man, he gave me a puzzled look as if to say, "why is that a problem?" I would get this look from everyone I dealt with at Vista Mar.

We decided to take a walk out to the beach before going to the front desk to voice our concerns about the lack of security in the rooms. As we walked out of the room, we were hit with a very strong sewage odor. We didn't think much of it at first, except that it got much stronger as we neared the beach. I don't think Vista Mar could generated enough sewage to cause such a stench with no more than a few guests a night, but there are several large hotels very near and I suspect that 4:00 that day was the time to purge their sewage. The smell was gone by the next morning, so I don't know if that's a common state.

I would not swim on this beach under any circumstances. The sewage smell was so bad, you could not have gone swimming in any of the 3 pools either. Actually, only two of the pools were in working order. The next day only one was working. Signs said, "no swimming Heavy Chemicals in Water" or something to that effect.

We went to the front desk and asked them to call a taxi. It should be noted that Vista Mar is way off the beaten path, so it will take at least 20-30 minutes to get a taxi. While we waited for the taxi. I tried to explain my security concerns to the clerk, who gave me that familiar, puzzled look.

We ordered some food from the restaurant while we waited for the taxi. The food was fine, but a funny side note; the restaurant had run out of bananas. That's a first for me in the Philippines, but when you truly don't care at all about customer service, I suppose anything is possible.

The toilets in restroom that serves the lobby and common areas has no toilet seats. This is a quirk you usually find in the much lower end businesses. Not something you'd expect from any decent hotel, even in the Philippines.

We left all our valuables in the safe in the manager's office. I'm glad we did as I realized when we returned that they only had one security guard and he was stationed at the front gate, which is in the front of the resort, a good 200 meters from our faulty French doors.

During our entire stay, there was never a manager to address such issues.

I had booked 3 nights at this dump, but before we went into town to look for another hotel, I notified the clerk that we would be checking out in the morning, so we would be there just one night. I listed all my reasons for leaving. I had a deposit which amounted to about 2 nights fees.

For what it's worth, there is no wifi in the rooms and they turn it off in the lobby at midnight.

When I tried to check out the next day, they refused to give me any refund of any kind. In fact they wanted me to pay for all three nights plus the deposit I had already paid. They brought the security guard into the lobby to hold our taxi and the told the taxi something that made him very hostile toward us when we finally were allowed to leave. I argued with the clerk for about 40 minutes. it was bad enough that they were making us pay for two rooms for all three nights, but even after talking with MyCebu and verifying my deposit was paid they still would not subtract my deposit from the three nights cost.

To their credit MyCebu eventually refunded my original deposit after I spoke with them several times. It took a couple days fro them to notify me of this, but I appreciate the gesture.

If you book this hotel, you are doing so at your own risk and the risk is substantial. Shame on the owners of Vista Mar. This place is a disgrace.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Anywhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mattl13
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

This hotel was a major disappointment for us, as they have different standards in terms of the race of the person staying there. On their website, we'd read about something as basic as complimentary water (majorly required in a hot climate) --well, at the reception we were told this is not the case unless you're Korean or Japanese. And to top it, they have signs all over as well as inform you that outside food is not permitted. Honestly, if you're gonna stay at a place like this would you really wanna spend most of your savings on water??? The beach in front of the hotel is hardly a beach --not at all clean plus it's super tiny.

For us, the good part of the hotel was it's otherwise location, kinda close to other places.. though you can't walk out easily --to get to the road outside the hotel is a decent 15-20 mins walk. The restaurant staff was helpful, they were very willing to organize vegetarian food for us --exceptionally tasty was their garlic fried rice!

For the most of it, I'd say this isnt really the place to stay --not if you're looking for a romantic getaway --there is some seclusion feeling as per location, yet because it's also a country club --lots of families holidaying too!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
#14 of 53 in Lapu Lapu
Karancho Beach Resort
Karancho Beach Resort
#2 of 24 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Vista Mar Beach Resort & Country Club? Share your experiences!