“Absolutely awful - shockingly bad food and in the middle of nowhere! Stay elsewhere.”

Sotogrande Hotel & Resort
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Truly awful! Situated in a wasteland, it is indeed the next hotel to shangri la as the crow flies- but you wouldn't be able to walk it - and our cab driver locked the doors while driving to it! Full of tour groups who pack out limited space in foyer and breakfast room permanently. Housekeeping's phone rang ALL night long outside our room. I can't even describe the food - dreadful would be a start. My friend ordered Chicken Breast stuffed with prawns on a bed of mash..bravely I thought! And she got chicken bones - really absolutely no meat at all- in a sticky sauce on wilted lettuce - bearing absolutely no relation to her order! The 'fine dining' by the pool is signposted by a photocopied piece of paper and offers hamburgers and other revolting dishes.

The only good member of staff is a trainee called Rhona who was lovely. Otherwise the huge number of staff are lounging about leering at guests by the pool (when you can get any space by the pool...). The breakfast staff try...but on the whole the experience is not one of putting the customers first! There was absolutely never any toilet paper in any of the toilets for instance (and that includes the guest rooms). Just horrendous - a one star experience for a 4 star price quite frankly. Stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Check in someplace else!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank HongKongCallisto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The staff are very friendly and ready to help.
Rooms are new, fresh and clean. Compared to other hotel & resorts i have been to, this room we had is big. Can accomodate 4 people. Got very nice view at the sea.
The resort is only 15 minutes away from the airport. It is very safe to stay. There are pools near the beach area. Also, there is a new elegant pool at the back of Sotogrande. It is so private. Got very good time sunbathing at their lounges. Early morning, you can explore the area, breath fresh air. Perfect for jogging.
Wifi is available at the lobby area and hotel does not charge for its access. It has a gym. The equipments are modern and impressive. I like it.
Yah, I will definetly come back!

Room Tip: get room #;s 601, 501, 602, 502. Perfect seaview!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildiana
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The Hotel is in an isolated location with a horrible small beach. There are 2 pools, and a total of 4 sunbeds. The pool areas need a good clean, as do the tables around the pool. The rooms were clean and of a decent size and the staff are very friendly, the hotel is full of Korean tour groups which I felt the hotel mainly cater for.

Breakfast is till 10am, but if you arrive after 9am then there are only morsels left. The food in the restaurant in the evening is just about bearable, my chicken schezwan was mainly skin and fat. The price of the food is extortionate, 100 PHP for a beer, where a 10 minute taxi ride will take you to a nicer outdoor restaurant where beers are 55 PHP.

Would I stay here again...not a chance!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachaelf73

Travellers are raving about these Lapu Lapu hotels

Lapu Lapu, Philippines
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I arrived late on Saturday night. I was supposed to stay 6 days but left the next morning. The hotel staff is too busy playing in the lobby than waiting on guests. The front desk ladies are too busy on their cell phones and talking to friends. Upon entering the room I noticed that their was no DSL hookup as in most hotels here in the Philippines. That is not good for me since work at all hours. I was assured that WiFI was available in the lobby. Restaurant was closed and no room service. Went to the bathroom, No Towels and toilet paper. I was told that these items will be available the next day due to the Holiday weekend. They ran out of a lot of things. The room had cockroaches climbing on the walls and the small refrigerator was froze up and smelling like mold. Also, no hot water for those who want to take baths. Yes, they do have very cool luke warm water.
Trying to check out early was a big hassle. They wanted to charge me for the whole week, then they wanted to charge me for 3 days and finally after 45 minutes I paid for the one night. I just felt I was staying in a dirty place. On the other hand I am glad I had this experience so I could inform visitors where to stay and where not to stay. This is definitely where NOT to stay.

Room Tip: check all the review you can!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank angie8247
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Scouting a resort to stay with my friends is an annual dilemma. Several factors to consider like security, rates and comfort. We have tried five resorts on our past trips in Mactan. What kept us from going back there are our bad experience. I was so glad that a friend recommended SOTOGRANDE HOTEL & RESORT. I never thought, it would be an excellent choice for this year’s getaway.

On our trip back to Mactan, Sotogrande Hotel & Resort's shuttle fetch our group at the airport at no charge. Though our flight was delayed 3 hours, however, there was no extra charge imposed to us. The hotel driver gladly welcomed and guided us to the shuttle. After 15 minutes drive, we arrived at the resort that was wonderfully located inside a secured area. On it are two high rise buildings, one is Sotogrande where we stayed. The second one, they call it La Mirada. The third property is Vista Mar Beach Resort & Country Club. At the east side, there was this most relaxing view we got on the island, SEA. It has the widest seaview compared to the 5 resorts we’ve stayed before.

The bellmen assisted us on our baggage and ushered us to the front desk area. The waiter gave us cold refreshing mango juice as welcome drink. It didn’t take long that we were given our room vingcard keys. The bellmen assisted us to our rooms. The room airconditioners were already on. It was very refreshing to feel the soft pillows, linens and bed. The room interior design is very impressive. I found it very luxurious to a resort setting. The room was well- maintained. It's fresh and clean. The room has its own vault for personal valuables. It has a minibar, coffee and tea making facility. With the room rates they are offering, it is incredibly a value for our money!

Breakfast buffet was impressive. It offers several entree! It was served on a glass buffet stations. I love everything. The food was very yummy and delicious! I wish you have been to other resorts, so you would know what I mean.

There are three swimming pools at Vista Mar. We get to enjoy two properties at the same time here. It has a great view Olango island. We have a great evening beside the pool. It was the coolest relaxing moment we ever experience. Food was great too! It was priced reasonably. Waiters were very accommodating. We were impressed!

After our dinner, as we made our way back to Sotogrande, there stood a giant Christmas tree and lanterns within Soto and Vista vicinity. We were impressed to know that these lanterns were designed and created by its own employees. We were told, this is a practice of both properties to install lanterns yearly. What a great sight to behold! Colorful lights greeted us along the way!

I love everything in this resort. One day, I can have my future husband in Sotogrande for our honeymoon. The beach is very fascinating for a lovely walk. For now, as to my friends, we will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Reyes011
Macao SAR CHINA
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We were very surprised as the hotel was not at all as described.
We booked 6 nights, left after one. It's noisy, dirty, ran down and horrible location.
There is a very small beach if you can bear the sound of the diesel generators.
It's full on Korean tour groups that stay a night and leave.
The hotel is not cheap either. Anyway even if they'll pay me I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Fititiou
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 29 November 2010

The hotel and resort is about 40 minutes from Cebu City proper. The check-in was quick and very efficient, the lady at the frontdesk and the staff were very courteous. They only have deluxe rooms, which was great considering the price. It was very clean, the sheets were soft, and they had a safe for your belongings and a mini fridge. They also have a fitness gym on the ground floor. Basically what you get in a 3-4 star hotel. the only drawback is you don't get a view of the sea, whichever direction you are from the hotel itself.
You only have to go outside sotogrande hotel to reach Vistamar hotel and resort to get to the beach and the 3 swimming pools. (they're actually one entity but for some reason the buildings are separated and the prices are different.)
the swimming pools are clean, only 2 of which are the ones you actually use, the mini pool looks like it hasnt been maintained well. I wouldnt recommend the beach though, true that it's cordoned off to protect the swimmers but, there's just too many rocks, not really conducive for swimming. it's like it wants to be a beach but its just not. i'd stick to the swimming pools.
the dinner buffet was enjoyable and they had these musicians going from table to table to play for you after they've finished their stage performance. The food was terrible, mostly fried and preserved foods. but as long as i had my beer i was fine! :)
Their complementary breakfast buffet was delicious!
I'd go back there again soon

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
Cebu White Sands Resort & Spa
#12 of 41 in Mactan Island

Been to Sotogrande Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!