“Friendly service, good rooms and horrible location!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sotogrande Hotel & Resort

Sotogrande Hotel & Resort
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Lisboa
“Friendly service, good rooms and horrible location!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We arrived late in the evening and were received by a very friendly reception desk staff. The rooms were spacious but needing some attention as they showing signs of excess use.

The breakfast was average but dinner was very bad...stay away from the risotto.

The location is far away from anything, we booked a boat trip at the hotel that included 4 island stops... we 1 island and paid 5000 pesos.

The only positive aspect were the friendly and amazing staff, the made a difference otherwise it would have been a disastrous stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Zamboanga City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

We had a blast on our room. We could just stay the whole day in the room. We stayed 2 nights in a Suite room. Room was really spacious. You have your own dining area, living area, and then a separate matrimonial room with a queen size bed. Facilities are complete. They also have a good service and serves good food everyday. Breakfast meals are buffet meals for the guests every 6am-9am. This was the best hotel/resort room we had of the 3 years we've been traveling. Luxurious yet worth it!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daphne L
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

A good-sized group of us stayed here for an open-water swimming event.

The hotel is a moderate-sized big-block hotel, with a couple of pools, a couple of restaurants, and private access to a small beach that's moderately swimmable (more later on that). It's in the heart of a private estate that looks like it was designed to be a gated community, although most of the plots are undeveloped and home to families of goats and stray dogs. Calling a cab in took a reliable 10 minutes or so each time, but cabs home invariably got lost.

The doorman opens the door! Old-school... Check-in was fairly efficient by Philippine standards. There's no tourist information, tho', not even a city map available. The lobby is big and empty, to the point of looking a bit weird when you first walk in.

The room was a good size although the bathroom (with full-sized bath) was a squeeze. The beds were comfortable and there was a kettle in the room. Although there was a good-sized desk there's no internet in the room (but reasonable wifi, free, in the lobby area). The room was in generally good condition although we failed to work out how to turn on the TV! Not a big problem as I don't watch TV anyway and we had plenty else to do. There's an in-room water heater that's not labelled, so you might be frustrated by the lack of hot water until you solve the mystery - and even if you do, the water's lukewarm, taking 4-5 kettles of boiling water to get the bath up to soakable temperature. The bathroom, by the way, was showing its age a bit, with rotting woodwork and rusty pipes gushing brown water as you first turn on the taps.

The food in the poolside restaurant was quite good. Fairly obviously you'll do much better sticking to the filipino specialities rather than the western choices. All were very expensive by local standards, and service while friendly to the point of charming, was dopey-slow. Breakfast was so-so; the coffee was weaker than a mid-west diner's, food items weren't replaced (so eat early!), there was no butter for the bread, and the juice was as far from freshly-squeezed as it's possible to get without being radioactive.

Check-out was a flurry of bits of paper, and a separate credit card chit for each restaurant we'd charged food/drinks to, and hence took a while.

A word on the beach: the beach itself is clean and secluded, tho' small (and some of the palms waving in the breeze are still in their nursery-garden bags!). The water however is shallow for 10-15m out but underfoot is a mix of seaweed and rocks, and some of those rocks have sea-urchins attached. You must wear slippers/crocs/swim sandals! At least two of our party had to have urchin spines dug out of their feet, and the staff seemed to find this quite usual. Further out the water deepens nicely, and you can see clusters of coral, quite a lot of it still alive and hence with plenty of fish.

We paid around US$50 per room as a group, and this was probably the right price point. The property is fine, it's in a bit of a no-man's land, the beach and swimming isn't great, and the service is friendly but dopey. If you want sun/sea cheaply (like the many Korean package vacationers there), it's fine, but it's not a particularly high-quality experience. Spend a bit more somewhere else on the same coastline.

Room Tip: high and at the front (the lower rooms' view of the sea is blocked by another building)
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is a difficult review to write because I really want to give the hotel good marks but can't due to my personal preferences.

I arrived at the Soto Grande in Oct 2012 on a combination personal and business trip. I purchased a condominium next door to this facility at the La Mirada complex and I was in the country to complete paperwork and to actually see the completed condo for the first time. La Mirada is next door to the Soto Grande so I figured that I would book a room there so that I wouldn't have to deal with Cebu traffic.

I arrived on a Korean Airlines flight after midnight and then had a private car take me to the resort. While the driver knows all area of Cebu, he had difficulty finding the resort due to the complete lack of street lights on the roads leading to the resort. Couple the darkness with cows, goats, dogs, and people sitting on the side of the road drinking, and the ride to the resort made me begin to question if purchasing property in the Philippines was a wise investment after all.

Anyway, I arrived at the hotel and check-in was fast and efficient. The staff was excellent. They greeted me warmly and always had a willing smile. If not for the staff, the Soto Grande would not receive the marks I have given.

The bellman took my bags to my room and the first thing I noticed once past the front desk was that the hallways were not air conditioned. It was hot and muggy in the hallways. As I was walking to my room, I wondered to myself if mold would be a problem in a hallway that was in a humid place such as Cebu.

My room was on the 6th floor and once out of the steamy hallway, my initial impression was that the room was acceptable. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of storage spaces. Lighting was good and the room didn't have any odors.

There were a few noticeable stains on the carpet but the room was clean and appeared to be prepared. Arriving at such a late hour, coupled with a 28-hour travel day, and I was ready for bed. However, I quickly found that the room wasn't cooling down properly from the AC and I was literally sweating in my bed. I called housekeeping and they came to the room and after a few clicks of the AC remote control and pushing a few buttons on the unit, they assured me that the AC was fine. I fell asleep from exhaustion but woke up early in the morning and it was still warm in the room.

I took a shower and realized that the tub is on the small side and there was no hot water. I would describe the water as "lukewarm" at best. Water pressure was OK, but there were stains galore on the ceiling, on the shower curtain bar, on the shower head and around the tub in general. The sink was missing a drain stop and part of my razor dropped down the drain. There was no soap storage dish and as the soap melted from the humidity in the room, there was a white river of soap running around the sink. My thoughts were that the room needed a complete deep cleaning where they would address all of these issues.

The bathroom towels need to be replaced. They are old and not soft. They were clean but seemed to be of a low level quality. Quality towels are required!

The TV had poor reception on many channels even though it was satellite. The TV didn't shut off when you pressed the off-button on the remote. You have to physically push the on/off button on the TV to turn the TV off. If you turn the satellite box off with the remote, the TV will remain on and shine a light in your room until you get up and push the button.

The power in the room is for 220 and if you have the typical 3-prong plugs found in the US, you will need an adapter to get your electrical items to work.

There were a lot of Korean tourists staying at the resort while I was there and must say that the majority were very rude. I was in line for breakfast, plate in hand, and a Korean tourist, walked up, stepped in front of me, grabbed several plates, and proceeded to fill her plates with food. She then dished out food for her children and husband. As I tried to step around her to move to the next food item, she physically blocked me from doing so. Not wanting a confrontation, I simply waited for her to finish loading up on food and then had to ask the staff to refill some of the few food items as she had emptied much of what was available.

While the hotel provided me with food tickets, the food left much to be desired. The scrambled eggs were not good. They are hard to describe. The eggs were freezing cold and I had to send them to be warmed up in a microwave. The bread had a strange taste and the toaster took forever. I ordered room service one evening and the food was just OK. Nothing spectacular, just OK.

Going back to my room, I was moved to another room on the 6th floor because the AC never did cool down. The staff did an excellent job of moving me. They helped with all of my bags and made sure the room was good to go. Once again, I reiterate, the Soto Grande staff is exceptional. It's not their fault that they work in a hotel where management is not addressing many of the maintenance concerns. The 2nd room was better than the first regarding the AC but the bathroom issues that I noted in the first room, were also prevalent in the second room.

The hotel/resort does have a wonderful pool. The pool is the property of the La Mirada condo that I just purchased, but hotel guests can access the pool. While the pool isn't deep, it is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect spot during hot afternoons.

I walked down to the beach and wasn't impressed. It's not very large and there were men pulling what appeared to be sea-weed from the water and allowing it to dry on the beach. There is plenty of security and if you want to jump in the water, it appears to be fine but there was plenty of sea-weed visible from the landing.

There is a large clubhouse next to the hotel but it was empty the week that I was visiting. There appeared to be several bicycles for rent available but they were in such poor condition, I wouldn't risk sitting on any of those bicycles. However, the clubhouse was nice and looks like it would be a great place to host a wedding or major party.

Now back to the hotel and my pet peeve. Internet access.

Internet access is critical for me regardless of location. In a thriving and growing place such as Cebu City, it is inexcusable for a hotel/resort to have such poor Internet access. Rooms do not have Internet. If you need the Internet, you have to sit in the hotel lobby and access the Internet there. As I wound up in the lobby at 2AM to check email, I was accompanied by a host of other foreigners and tourists who were all trying to access the Internet. We all sat around on chairs and couches in the lobby and it just seemed strange to have to sit there in a lobby to try to work. Soto Grande needs to install appropriate WI-fi access on all floors that will provide Internet access to all rooms. If they want to compete for business customers and tourists who require Internet access, they really need to address this glaring problem immediately.

Would I stay at the Soto Grande again? I would.

Would the Soto Grande be my first choice? No. They need to make minor repairs in the rooms and make sure that deep cleanings are done to ensure guests receive the top quality accommodations during their visits.

The Soto Grande staff are great people. Friendly. Caring. Warm. They provide a positive vibe and are willing to help. But they are stuck working for a hotel that needs to update. If they can make minor repairs and smart investments in technology, this hotel/resort will be exceptional.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HGfromOmaha
Shekou, Guangdong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

A great place to stay for a little getaway. We went with 2 other couples in October. The weather was unpredictable but overall very good. Enjoyed making use of the two pools they have, one with a great view of the sea, the other quite and relaxing. Staff was very friendly and helpful when it came to taxis, massages, restaurant reservations and excursions. The women at the front desk negotiated for us and got the best prices. Only suggestion is that many times when leaving the complex we went right, try to go left. There looked like some great places to go and have a drink and dinner. Enjoy and take advantage of the boats.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Cebu Island, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is a good place to stay if you're looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is a bit far from major commercial centers and restaurants. If you just want to go swimming and relax, then this place should be alright. Hotel guests can use the beach at Vistamar, which is just a few steps away. You can park your car at Vistamar's parking area as well.

We booked the room through agoda.com, which offered lower rates compared to booking directly with the hotel.
Breakfast buffet selections are not the usual "breakfast dishes," but are very filling. I actually liked them.
Kettle and (free) coffee provided in room.

PROS:
* Deluxe Room is spacious with balcony
* Ample countertop space in bathroom; basic toiletries provided (soap, shampoo, shower cap)
* Very good water pressure
* Complimentary water bottles
* Airconditioned and marbled hotel lobby (most beachside hotels have open-air lobbies)
* Staff doesn't linger expecting tips when performing services for you

CONS:
* Moldy spots on shower curtain as well as some rusty spots on fixtures need to be thoroughly cleaned/replaced -- problem is not severe and can easily be corrected
* Room walls could use some scrubbing (wall stains from AC)
* Overcharging for food items could happen if you're not the type to double check the bill

Remember to always pay attention to the food bill. The prices listed on the menu are exclusive of tax and service charge. We were overcharged for certain food items. We were being complacent and caught the error too late the first time. The second time, they rectified the "mistake" after we pointed out that a certain food item only cost half the amount being billed to us. It helps to know how much the ordered items are listed on the menu.

Despite the cons and the "billing slip up," I'd still consider staying here.
The overall hotel/room quality (luxury feel) and it being by the beach make SotoGrande a good deal at only roughly US$66/P2800 per night. There are not many resorts/hotels offering nice accommodations within the same price range.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I visited this resort last year with my close friend. We didnt stay for a night because friends have told me that this place is not that big and attractive.
Fortunately, during my "day use" with my friend turned out well and i think i didnt have much expectations from them that i wasnt disappointed at all.
I like the food that they serve for lunch buffet because they are really flavorful and it think it was worth each penny i paid ( it's part of the day use package by the way).

Moreover, the beachfront isnt that wide and free from seaweeds but at least they maintain the shoreline from being garbage-free.
The pool is big and families can enjoy and feeling safe as there are lifeguards on the look out~!

I think , if you want to enjoy the day with friends and family for outdoor activities, you should visit this place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
#15 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Been to Sotogrande Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!