“Disapponting”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Quezon City, Philippines
“Disapponting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My family and 3 other families stayed in this hotel the first night of our 3-night vacation. I'm so glad we spent the rest of our stay at Shangrila. Service was disappointing. The staff at the lobby lounge took so long bringing our orders which was annoying seeing that there were only a few guests eating We already paid for our booking ahead pf time, so imagine my surprise when I was being handed a statement of account upon check-out AND to make matters worse, they were charging me soda water which we never consumed from the room bar! Rooms are outdated. Disposable slippers provided wre dirty and looked like they were recycled. Food at the breakfast buffet wasn't so good. I have no plans of going back there anytime soon.

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank Claudine_v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

It was overcrowded! There were a lot of people! We stayed there for 1 night... Their swimming pools were excellent! The bucket thingy was super fun! Good food. Good facilities. I had a pleasant stay :>

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the restaurants :>
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

It is overcrowded! Check in process was terribly slow. I paid for my accom. 2 days before and would have thought the check in should be quicker. Front desk staff were not friendly enough, this shows the lack of proper training. The room was spacious but was not completely cleaned. I can see some mark on the bathroom door (dried splashes from previous guests), was not a good sight at all. They given me a 2 twin bed suite without even asking as I preferred to have 1 king instead. I was pissed off. Oh BTW, on check in, they've asked me an incidental deposit of Php 5,000! woo, that was a suprised, no one told me before i booked my accommodation about this. Well, it was kind of written on top of the front desk table but all you can see is the "$100" sign and everything else is written on Korean language! hmm, don't think this hotel was catered for me then.. Imperial has to be more flexible in this area, english should be used also. The restaurant inside was very expensive! I was so excited to stay in this hotel/resort after reading some of the reviews but guess what, next time I'm around Cebu? I would prefer to stay in a more amicable and relaxing place. Really a disappointment:( I would try Shangrila / Plantation instead. Lastly, it was kinda rude to check all the guests if they have wristbands, well this resort will check you before you can use there pool/waterpark. Oh, no one explained me anything during my checked in and I have to go and queue again to get my wristbands myself which I thought the front desk will provide straight away upon check in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Explorer S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

Its a neat place to stay. The Waterpark was so fun! Food is amazing.. Room is great.. It's kinda crowded cause of too many Koreans, but so far it's a beautiful place to relax..

Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Traveler-BarbiePink
Mandaluyong, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed here last December 2011. Given that it was the holidays, I had a hunch that the hotel might be overcrowded with guests and I was correct when we finally got there. The place was packed with locals and Koreans. The property is Korean owned so around 80% of the guests were koreans.

Check in was a bit disappointing. But this was expected given the number of guests. Instead of 2pm check-in, we got our Mactan Suite (1 bed room suite with living room and bar area) around 3pm. I already had my own set of expectations beforehand and I knew what most of resorts are like during peak season so I wasn't as impatient like some of the guests. Given the faces of the people at the reception, I know they were doing their best to get everyone checked-in. Maybe the hotel can get additional manpower during the high peak holidays.

The resort is fairly new, like 4 years old. No one led us to the suite because it seems everyone was very busy. The suites are big and spacious. 2 big beds in the bedroom plus a nice living area. No complaints about that.

The pools and waterpark was packed.But you still can find a little nook for yourself amidst the crowds. The beach area was so-so. Pretty small. This isn't the place if you want fine, white sands. This place is more for families with kids.

Breakfast was good. Nice selection. I suggest you get to the breakfast restuarant early since there might a queue if you go there past 9am.

Imperial Resort is an okay resort but it tends to get crowded during the holidays and weekends. I guess the best time to come to this place is during the lean months. If I come back to this place but I won't be on a December.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ZombieZombie
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We came to Imperial Palace mainly for the water park but it offers more than that. The pools are large and well-maintained. The kids will have a lot of fun at the slides. There is also access to the beach. The rooms are spacious, clean and well-maintained. There is a receiving area with a separate airconditioner, flat screen tv and toilet. There is a small kitchenette with microwave. There is a balcony outside with seats where one can enjoy the view. The bedroom had 2 double beds, a flat screen tv and airconditioner. There is a small walk-in closet that leads to the bathroom. The bathroom is impressive with a big bathtub separate from the shower. There is a separate glass-enclosed cubicle for the toilet. There was a wide selection of food for breakfast. The staff are friendly and helpful. Majority of the hotel guests are Korean and some of them smoked uninhibitedly and do not stick to smoking areas. This was my one beef with the hotel. The rooms though did not reek of cigarette smoke despite this. It is an hour away from the city center and the concierge are always ready to hail you a cab and you get a sense of security as they always note down the license plates of cabs who pick up their guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank aeg1217
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

After reading the previous review, I feel compelled to write of our own experience while staying here in December 2012 for about five days over the New Year period. We initially went to Bantayan Island in the northern part of Cebu. This was a quiet peaceful place, so it was a shock to come back with our two boys, age 6 and 8, to this over-crowded, densely packed and very loud party scene. We were attracted by, and chose this place over the Shangri-La primarily because of the water slides. The first day we went however, the slide area was so crowded, we had no place to put our towels to make a base, and the lines were quite long. My kids were only allowed to go on one slide because of age/height restrictions, so another big disappointment, plus the beach is not such a great place to swim -- some concrete steps to enter.

There were a lot of loud shows by various entertainers by different swimming pools throughout the day and evening, and even though some were well performed and quite entertaining, I wish I had brought ear plugs because they were loud and went on for a long time.

Our so called 'garden-view' room was large, well-furnished but smelled heavily of smoke. Garden-view meant a view of the car park on the side of the building plus a nice green empty lot next door. On the positive side, when New Year came round, we saw the fireworks in Cebu from our balcony and it as if war had broken out - amazing to watch. After half an hour this, we can say the sound-proofing of the rooms is very good as we slept soundly in the comfortable beds despite the fireworks outside.

We ate in the Philippine restaurant one night and it was very disappointing compared to all of our experiences eating Filipino food elsewhere in the past week. Not only was the service extremely slow, but most of the food we ordered there was very mediocre. The other places in the hotel were much better however, and buffet breakfast was reasonably good though you have to navigate a large crowd.

I can't fault any of the hotel or restaurant staff as the service was professional and excellent throughout, although reception was quite inhospitable when it came to requests such as 'please can you change us to another room as ours smells heavily of smoke and has no garden-view as advertised'.

We spent our four days with our friends at the Shangri-La which was much less crowded, had better food and a much nicer beach, landscaping, lower noise levels, etc. We are going back for Easter soon and guess where we are staying this time...

Location is good as there are plenty of restaurants and supermarkets (mostly Korean), fruit markets, DVD shops and massage places just outside the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker, ask for a non-smoking room -- good luck!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#14 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to JPark Island Resort & Waterpark, Cebu? Share your experiences!