“Devoid of any Cebuano Experience and Charm”

JPark Island Resort & Waterpark, Cebu
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 31 August 2010

If you’re wondering if this place has a lot of local flair to offer, they don’t. If you’re expecting the same cheerfulness that usually characterizes the Cebuano, then prepared to be disappointed. If you’re looking forward of seeing a lot of local Filipino or Cebuano on this place, then you’ll be upset to see more Koreans than locals. If you’ll ask me if my experience on this place was memorable, I’ll say nope.

Yes, everything I expected on a modern hotel facilities were there. There were enough swimming pools to choose from including the themed pool and their very narrow beach. Their restaurant offers lavished food and sweet. But to be honest, I was not impressed at all.

During my stay in Cebu, I have been to small hotels, pension house and known hotel and I was delighted to be served by the characters that well defines the Cebuano which was completely missing on this Hotel. Would it be so hard to hire a Cebuano as a receptionist instead of a Korean who can’t properly talk in English or even smile to its client?

This place is such a pity that they have to invest and develop a splendid place but failed terribly to incorporate what the Filipinos are known for. Going to this place is like going to Paris without the Eiffel Tower or Louvre museum. It’s like going to New York without the Statue of Liberty or perhaps going to China without the Great Wall. Have I known what to expect and see on this place then I should have been somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ulrick

Reviewed 26 August 2010

My family stayed there for three night. We paid &160 per night plus $30 for an extra bed. The price comes with free buffet breakfast every morning. The breakfast was exceptional. However, if you eat lunch there, it will cost you $30 per person; massage is $50/ hour. The room, pools, and ground are definitely 5-star. In addition to a large pool, it also has a lazy river, kids pool, three water slides, and a small beach.

The groud was well-lanscaped and the staff were polite. The down side is its location. The moment you step off the hotel ground, you know you are in a third world country. The hotel has free shuttle taking guests to a very large, nice shopping mall, approximately 40 minutes travel time. Also, the guests are 98% Koreans, if you are Asians, the staff automatically assume you are Korean and will greet you as such, which was okay but a little odd.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jttf
Reviewed 12 August 2010

It is not your typical tropical resort.
They have a Waterpark that is kinda nice.

The room is clean and spacious and the beds are comfortable, You will be guaranteed of a good night rest.

When I was looking for hotels, I was told that I should go to Mactan's Shangrila.
But i decided to stay at Imperial because I wanted a newer resort.
The place except the waterpark is like Shangrila. The structure of the building and all.

But I do not regret staying at Imperial. I was able to rest well after spending a day going about my trips in Cebu and Bohol and more.

The staff are courteous and warm and accommodating.
I am treated like a star!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Hotel facilities

Room is worst than I expected for a relatively new hotel..You could tell the furnitures are cheaply made. Ok that's not the end of the world but the biggest problem is they don't have contant hot water supply. I turned the hot water tap on for 10 minutes at the rush hours in the evenng and the water is still cold. I have a 2yo kid with me so that's absolutely unacceptable

95% of the hotel visitors are from Korea. They seem to enjoy the swimming pools and the water slides very much. I'm from Hong Kong but I could tell the Westerners would not enjoy staying here beacuse there is NO proper beach at all. The so called beach at Imperial Palace is so small that it could accomodate like 15 people at one time. What's the point of going to Cebu if you are stuck in the swimming pools all day???

Most of the sun beds around the swimming pools are occupied whenever I went there. My son has to sit on the floor without shade. The place is too crowded in my opinion.

Worst than other brands like Sheraton / Le Meridien..I tried to get a buggy from the hotel pier back to the lobby but you have to wait like 25 mins. When I finally got back to the hotel entrance I saw there are plenty of empty buggys around. Get more staff please.

Very average but I don't know the usual Phillipines standard so not much comment.

My advice

If you have a 5-12 yr old kid who likes to play around in the swimming pools, they have like it. but if you want a romantic or relaxing holiday on the beach, forget it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank OlympicExpress
Reviewed 23 July 2010

While visiting family in Cebu, we decided to spend the day at the IP water park to celebrate the second birthday of my son who loves water. We called the day before to inquire about prices and were told to check in at the day use desk upon arrival.
Our party of 5 adults plus 3 boys (2 celebrating their 2nd birthday and one 4 year old), bought day use passes that included the buffet lunch and towel "rental," as well as access to the kids club for each child. Each adult paid 2400 pesos (which was about $50), and the kids were free.
The staff was helpful and kind, the kids pools were wonderful, though could use a bit of touching up around the edges (scratched paint, loose tiles, etc).
The buffet lunch was fantastic, the service was excellent and the variety of foods offered was really good. The staff brought out a piece of cake for my son and sang him happy birthday and it was the best part of his whole day. The chocolate cake was fantastic and I don't blame him for skipping the rest of his meal!
The only real downer was while using the larger adult pool (with the swim up bar), we could see that there were supposed to be waterfalls there and they were not active. So what should have been a really interesting circular pool with an island surrounded by waterfalls, was a little less interesting. But we all had a good time anyway.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sarahewk
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We went only to use the waterpark and were quoted nearly 11,000 pesos for using the park and a buffet lunch!! We did point out that we could have stayed for a couple of nights at a 5 star hotel in London for that price!! Eventually we were given a quote for just the waterpark (4900 pesos).
Firstly I was told I was not allowed to go into the water wearing a cotton t-shirt, despite being very sunburnt. "We don't allow cotton".
Secondly, I was told to remove all jewellery, even my wedding ring. "We don't allow jewellery"
The "we do not allow..." was continuous ... googles, sunglasses... people over 71 kg"!! I kid you not! We all had to be weighed at the top of the waterslides and were told whether or not we were too "fat" to go down them!!
For any averaged size westerner, don't bother going unless you are prepared to sign waivers at every slide and be weighed on a pair of old scales in front of a queue of excited swimmers, not to mention humiliated!!!
Fun? We had none!
We rushed back to the Shangri La as quickly as we could!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
14  Thank jellymoon
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have read and heard so much about this place, but when i finally got there, I was disappointed. It was not as beautiful as I thought it would be. The landscaping is not very attractive. The beach front is narrow. Staff friendliness and courtesy are much to be desired. Rooms, however, are ok, but I don not like the smell of the pillows and bed cover.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to JPark Island Resort & Waterpark, Cebu? Share your experiences!