“Standard Hotel”

Dulcinea Hotel and Suites
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I were in Cebu from 13th to 15th January 2014. Booked the Dulcinea Hotel and Suites due to the favourable comments and ranking.
The hotel provided complimentary airport pickup, had to call them up despite emailing them the flight details as there were no response/acknowledgement. Nevertheless, we were ferried to and fro the airport in a big MPV with a pleasant driver.
Upon arrival at hotel, was a bit taken aback as she is located behind a shop on a main road. The hotel doesn't look spectacular, and reception is at level 3. Nevertheless, staffs are very friendly and pro-active.
We reserved a Superior Room, supposedly with an "Ocean View" but got one facing the main road instead. Room is big, with tiled flooring, flat screen TV, and cable. WIFI is complimentary, and connection is good. The bathroom is also quite big, and clean. Hot water for bath is great (hot, not lukewarm) but the flow rate from shower is slow.
The rooms are not provided with drinking water but an empty glass container for you to bring to the reception area, where a hot/cold water dispenser is located for complimentary water. Adjacent to the dispenser is a fridge with canned drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and snacks next to it, where you can pay for them at the reception.
There is a cafe located in level 2 (where breakfast is served), which is directly below us, hence we can hear music blasting from their stereo and noise from the traffic late into the night.
As I was there mainly for work, the location helps as it's directly opposite Gaisano Mactan Island Mall which houses several eateries, a big supermarket in the basement, and a department store occupying four levels. (We had dinner there on the first night at Jo's Chicken Inato. Do try their roast chicken, and the grilled fish a.k.a. bangus.)
Breakfast is not the typical buffet style you'd find in many hotels. Here, I'd say you're given a choice of carbo (toast or waffles etc.), egg (sunny side up or poached etc...), protein (bacon or fried pork or corned beef etc), fiber (fruits) and beverage, served to you. Service staff is courteous and friendly.
In all fairness, as much as the service staffs are friendly, with close proximity to mall and airport, and clean towels and cups in the room, I'd say this is more of a 2+ star standard straying towards the "no frills" category. I might be wrong as I haven't visited other hotels in Cebu to make a comparison, but for the rate they're charging it's definitely higher than the "no frills" nearby, hence please have the right expectations when you book this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stomiye

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night and although the airport transfer was a nice car with a friendly driver, the positives end there. The entrance was up three flights of stairs and the staff although very friendly were slightly slow to respond. The room was really poor and basic, not at all like the photos. I could hear people along the corridor talking and laughing into the night and the smell of cigarette smoke crept into my room. The shower did not work at all. It did not feel particularly clean or safe, especially as a solo female traveller in an unfamiliar town. The breakfast in the morning was very simple and many things on the menu were not available. I cancelled my second night there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Norma T
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We booked a standard room with an extra bed. The room was large and comfortable, enough for 3 persons. The bed was very comfortable. We had a good sleep.

The plated breakfast was few for me, with a selection of Filipino, European, American and Continental served with a choice of powdered juice or coffee.

Shuttle service is not very efficient since you have to inform them the day before if you want to avail it. But the location is close enough to the aiport, less than 10 min by taxi and costs around P75. It's also right in front of Gaisano Island mall.

Another thing, the hotel is on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator but the security guards assist you in carrying your baggage.

It's actually quite good for the price, room comfort and location. I recommend this hotel for airport transit.

Room Tip: standard rooms are big, can accommodate an extra bed
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed on transit and enjoyed our stay in this unpretentious property.
What we liked:
* Instant reply to all our emails. From experience, only a handful of Philippine hotels we have stayed in give punctual reply to queries. This shows that Dulcinea values their potential guests.
* Smiling and accommodating front desk staff (Grace?) Were pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to a suite.
* comfortable bed and clean room
* good location near the airport and right in front of Gaisano Island mall
* Free airport shuttle
* Free drinking water in the lobby

What could be improved:
* The included breakfast could offer more choices
Would we stay here again? Yes

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel (occupied superior deluxe room) with my husband for 15 days and it sucks.
the room we stayed is perfect view for a garbage scattered in a vacant lot which what they posted in their website that ROMANTIC VIEW? i guess that's what they mean.
Water in the Bathroom is very low pressure, what i did is i get a glass and then dump the water in my head (your just like taking a bath in a usual way in the province area) and the toilet: you need to push for several times the flush button in order to reserve water for the next use or user. if not? the water will continuously flow.
Their Air conditioner is big BUT very low. they give us an electric fan but the longer you use the noisier it gets. you need to tap and re-position the electric fan to stop the noise.
We did avail the promo which is 25% discount but the 1 Supreme Pizza and 2 glasses of wine no where to be found. ( it's just a pizza and wine but at least they should serve it to us even if we don't want it)

here's the wose if you won't wake up on the the foot steps above or in their roof? you will wake up with person hammering or worse drilling on the next room. that's what they mean FINE LUXURY SLEEP

What the purpose if you have a big room if you are not Comfortable
i would say stay away from the room starting from the 311, 312 and to the adjacent room it's not a good location for what i've mentioned above.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AniersRads
Reviewed 17 September 2013

When I go to Cebu, I always choose Dulcinea Hotel and Suites. It is located 5 minutes away from the airport. Their rooms are very big and comfortable. The room features a flat screen TV, minibar full of well selected food and drinks at affordable price, a mini office with telephone, bathtub and toiletries. The rooms has a view of the city. We will always stay here whenever were in Cebu.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Greecine2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I sent an email twice but received no reply. I also called them 3 HOURS before my flight lands and they have confirmed that they are going to pick me up and the information that I sent is confirmed.

Just what the others experienced, NOBODY showed up to pick you up in the airport on time that I have to call them twice and the driver showed up 30 minutes later. OK fine, when I got to the reception the receptionist said on their records it showed a different time for picking up. Whatever, it's on my email and I even called to reconfirm. How many times do they need to be reminded for this? But I was told this is a Cebuano way of doing things ....slow and unreceptive.

I was only happy that the room is really large and bed can't be faulted. The bathroom fittings are however loose and I saw a bug crawling on the sink on the night that I stayed there.

Location wise it is good because you can buy provisions at the mall infront. There is also a decent massage next door. It is only around 5 minutes from the airport.

Will I stay here again? For convenience, yes. But I can just take a cab to go there as it is not far.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
Chambre Hotel Mactan
Chambre Hotel Mactan
#11 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Dulcinea Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!