“Condo gone into Hotel”

Lancaster Hotel Cebu
Reviewed 2 April 2011

There is some merit to the comments noted here but first lets be fair, this is a Condo Unit that is being converted to some hotel rooms, rental apartments as well as keeping a large portion of the rooms for condo buyers. The rooms are never finished until there is a buyer which also saves on cost an expensive renovations of which most Filipino's don't have the money for after such a large purchase. Yes the rooms to me where well appointed, the linen a bit cheap, but the character of the place an staff where good. To judge this in a manner as if it is in our countries is unfair after all we are here in the Philippines, they have different was to raise capital for projects like this condo unit and they have more than one owner so politics are also part of it. I will be going back there to stay as it was ok for me but i am also going back to support the business after all if we don't an it fails we may lose in the future a promising Hotel. Just don't judge the book by its cover an look at what is really happening and why. Thanks

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jwcarr_sask

Reviewed 3 February 2011

I don't know whether Lancaster looks like a prison, because luckily I never had to stay in a prison. The site is ideal, near to the airport and several good restaurants and a small mall with a good supermarket (Save More). Still it is very quiet and the air is clean. Two swimming pools are providing my fitness. If I did not decide to cook my meals myself, I was pleased by the good quality of the food in the restaurant/bar. My room was always cleaned very carefully. I also enjoyed the split-type aircons which are much better than the wallmounted aircons still found in many hotels.

Knowing that Philippines is not Switzerland, I also don't expect everything will be the same as at home. But everybody from the friendly staff was always ready to help me whenever I had a little problem.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Clochard45
Reviewed 28 January 2011

This hotel looks like a prison the way it is layed out. Hotel is not really clean, our shower does not work so well. The only plus is that the room is spacious and has a kitchen if you want to cook. The hotel is off the main road and nestled in a very under developed area. about 10 mins walk from grocery store and some restraurants.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank HTL-1
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We checked in - i noticed that the website is very misleading. The place is in total mess. Halls are bare and you can notice the poor state of building. Neighboring buildings was broken windows, halls are unfurnished, no light on our end of the hallway & we were the only ones on the 2nd floor & they decide to put us the the very end room!

Staff were very rugged looking -not professional at all. They were slack in service, considering it wasn't a cheap motel. The room didn't looked cleaned for a while. Hairs in the bath, stains on the couch & cushions, toothpick on the side table, and dishes weren't properly washed.

The room has a very peculiar noise every night too. Although we know there weren't any other guests on the floor, there's always a banging sound coming from the walls. The music from the bar is too loud & the cable TV stopped working on our last night! I could've sworn someone even entered the room as I have left the TV on & remote on the bed, and came back w/ the TV turned off & the remote left on the couch.

Food is overpriced - so is the items in the mini-bar. The only good thing is the location near the airport & kitchen facilities -but I could've gone somewhere else that's near, and get overall better service.

Surrounding area was very rough as well... not to mention the swamp across the road.

I dont think this is good value for money at all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Entipatika
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The only good point about the hotel is its close location to the airport, but all the other aspects of stay are just terrible. The only reason I stayed long-term was the price I was offerred..., but later I found out why the price was so low:

- LOUSY SERVICE
The staff at the front desk is useless and lacks a will to help.
The staff at the bar is slow, messy, and makes far too many mistakes when calculating your bill. They never approach you with your order. You have to let them know that you just entered the restaurant,..., you have to let them know that you finished your drink and may want another, you have to let them know that the table should get cleaned.
Once I pointed to the mistake they made on my bill as I was supposed to pay more..., only in order to get charged more the next day..., but that might be an honest mistake or an order from the hotel manager.

The food is overpriced and of a poor quality (tasteless, cold and takes ages to prepare).
After I made few complaints to the hotel manager, she quit to reply to my greetings, ignored me and seemed to instruct the staff to be even "meaner" towards me (as per what my fiancee understood)..., but all I wanted was to get the proper service each guest deserves.

Instead of a nice bar music, you can hear only the TV to which the staff pays more attention than to the guests.

- NOISE
The rooms are ok, but hard to get a good rest due to constant noise that is made by the staffs' "singing" at the hall ways and constraction work at the empty units.

- POOR INTERNET CONNECTION
The wifi connection was often not available in my room and if so, it was very slow.

- STATE OF THE BUILDING
The condominium should get some paint and the cracks in the walls should get fixed too.

In general, the approach of the both, the hotel staff and hotel manager, is not customer orientated at all. The staff has issues with providing help and service, but they don't mind reminding once there is an unpaid bill of yours at the restaurant. Hotel manager is cold, ignorant and gets upset when faced with legitimate complaint. Once, she said she has no time for me, but few minutes later I saw her at the bar, smoking a cigarette and watching TV..., setting a 'good' example to the hotel staff who do the same - don't care about guests, overcharge foreign guests and watch TV.

If you look for a cheap long-term stay, the Lacaster hotel is the one to go for, but expect the unexpected (in the negative way), expect to feel unwelcome, get very very very patient and always ask for a receipt upon a payment, coz the staff never issues a receipt... only if you specifically ask for one.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarWith
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The exterior:
When you arrive, you will notice that A LOT of the rooms (and there are a lot of rooms) are empty. Families of sparrows and swallows inhabit the empty forgotten rooms, of which they have access to through the windows and doors (the glass is either broken or nonexistent). The place is quite depressing. The walls on the outside and inside need a good lick of paint.

Noise:
The hotel staff sing as they walk through the halls ways and noise travels, normally waking us up. There are always lots of locals visiting some of the old men there and they make a lot of noise at the pool during the night. There's the odd wedding - so don't expect any sleep! The music is just too loud, wedding or no wedding. About twice a week a very noisy truck is parked up in the car park replenishing the water supply to the hotel. VERY NOISY.

Blackouts:
Guaranteed every week. There is an emergency light in the room that stays on for 15 mins, then it turns off and there's complete darkness. They have invested money into lighting up the bar area and pool (and the rest of the building) throughout a blackout so you will go downstairs and spend money at the bar ;o) The television signal fails once a week. Perhaps anther ploy or lucky excuse to get the guests to drink at the bar!

Service:
Overstaffed lobby area. Not all speak good English, so when you call the front desk, they're silenced by your request because they don't understand you. If you ask to borrow a dustpan, expect to receive a bunch of hand towels. ;o) You also have to remind them several times of your requests, because they normally forget within a few minutes of you asking.

Food:
The food is overpriced. The meals take AGES to be served and once, my mashed potatoes were ice cold and my sausage was cold on the inside. I got the plate back after 5 minutes, the sausage had been microwaved, was like rubber....AND THE MASH WAS STILL COLD! Once we ordered toast, jam butter and coffee... After 10 minutes we received cold toast..... 5 mins later the coffee... and then we politely reminded them to bring our damn jam and butter! Small things are hard. We eventually gave up on eating there.
This place would even make honeymooners feel depressed!! Lol Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank no29shropshire
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Stayed here for 7 nights which was far to long, Room was only cleaned twice and I had to ask for it to be cleaned the 2 nd time, they say every 2 days but twice in 7 days would be 3 times. Sheets and towels of poor quality. To many staff hanging around reception instead of doing there jobs which should be trying to clean the place up. Walls could do with a coat of paint. Had a Hamburger in restuarant which was very good. The staff need to get their act together, and the hotel should offer those little extra's like the SDR apartments next door which has cable internet at 4mb. The Internet in Lancaster was slow and the internet wifi in my room never worked properly as to far from router. I did specifically ask for a room with good wifi, so if that was there best I dread to think what the rest of the rooms were like. Would not stay here again, big mistake booking and paying for 7 nights

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple