“Great food and rooms!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Winter Park, Florida
“Great food and rooms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

The best thing about this place is the food. Food here is great. I wanted to hug the chef..ha ha. The prices are reasonable except for the buffet which is way over priced. Other than that the resort is great. It is still very new and that is good. The rooms are very nice with great bathrooms. The beach and pool are nice. But, nothing like plantation bay which has so many pools. The food and rooms, though, are better at Crimson. The service is great from everyone there. It is full of Koreans which is fine. They seem very polite and quiet. I guess that is where they do their marketing. We stayed there twice and the second time there the internet was very slow in room 115. But, the previous week when in room 25 it was super fast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
76 Thank joe v
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

My team and I are thrilled to read such a wonderful review. Your excellent comments about the service we provide inspired us to work even harder in delighting all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Before we arrived, we called the resort if they could pick us up in the airport and asked if it would be free as most of the resorts I had been to had a free airport to hotel transfer, they said they do have that service but they would charge us 500 pesos. We did not bite the offer and opted to hire a car in the airport and we only payed 350 pesos for it. By the way, I stayed in the resort for three nights.
When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by their very courteous staff and the ladies in the front desk were very kind as well. After verifying our reservation, our luggages were then carried by their personnels and we rode a golf cart just like in Plantation Bay.

The Room:
The room was beautiful, spacious and you can say that it is designed for lovers as the wall dividing the bedroom and the bathroom has a large window than can be opened and the shower cubicle is made of glass as well. The television is also big, it is a 42" HD LCD. I also love their pillows, it is very comfortable, not to soft, not to hard, just enough. They have free wifi as well but the signal was very low. Their tap water is not potable just like most of the resorts in Mactan but no need to worry as you can ask for bottled waters anytime and you can ask as many you like as they are for free but don't drink the ones inside the refrigerator as they are not free, only those red-colored bottled waters are free.

The Surroundings and views:
The resort is very clean and has lots of picturesque views.

The pool:
The resort has an infinity pool at varying depths, the shallowest being 2.5 ft and the deepest at 4 ft. Not really deep if you ask me. The pool is small and crowded. It is open from 7 am to 9 pm.

The beach:
The beach will look and feel nice if it is high tide since the water will reach and cover the white sands that were artificially placed there but if it is low tide, the beach would look so ugly and rocky that no one would want to take a dip at all. The beach is also small.

The freebies:
The hotel will give its guests free 15 minute kayak ride and 50% off on spa services.

The water sports and island hopping:
The hotel offers different kinds of water sports and I was only able to ride the jet ski. Prices for their water sports were definitely high, way higher than in Boracay and in Plantation Bay. One unit of jet ski would be 2500 pesos per 30 minutes. Their para-sailing was insanely overpriced, they charge 7000 pesos per person for 15 minutes and a minimum of two person is required, so that would mean a total of 14,000 pesos for a 15-minute para-sailing ride. Bummer. In Boracay, it was only 1800 pesos per person for 15 minutes. In Plantation Bay, it is only priced at 3500-4000 pesos per person. Island hopping is at 4,000 pesos per person.

The restaurants:
I would have to agree with the earlier reviews, the price of the foods and beverages were really high, way higher than the other 5 star resorts and hotels here in Cebu. The taste of the food in Azure and Tempo (two of their four restaurants) were just so-so, it was bland but very pricey. We payed 3500 - 4000 pesos per meal at those restaurants and there were only three of us. We also ate at Saffron Cafe, the one which has a buffet serving foods from different countries. The food selection was really huge, you would definitely be confused as to what to eat and all of them looked really tasty and I must say the foods there were tasty, way better than the foods they serve in Azure and Saffron. I did enjoy the food and after a sumptuous meal we called the waiter for the bill and told him beforehand to just add it to our room charge. When the bill came, as we have to sign it, we were a bit shocked when we found out that our bill reached 6,800 pesos and there were only three of us and we only asked for water which is free. But when we looked at the food selection again we said to ourselves that it was worth it since we were really full and it was, after all, tasty. If I were to choose among the three, Azure, Tempo and Saffron, I would still choose Saffron even if its pricey. After all, when I go on a vacation, I go to enjoy and not to save money. They also have a Pastry Station and the prices of their cakes were "cheap" compared to the usual price in their restaurants so I bought 2 slices, one opera cake and the other was a Tri-colore cake. Guess what? It was blaaaaahhhh.... Not tasty at all, it was bland, not sweet. It only looked tasty but is really not. But then again, it was "cheap"

Overall:
My 3-night stay in the resort was a good one, I had fun and it was a nice experience being there. Would I recommend this resort? Yes, if you want to try an alternative to Shang-rila, Hilton, Imperial Palace and Plantation bay. Will I go back? Maybe.

Tips: If swimming is what you are after, go to Plantation Bay, the pools and lagoons there are definitely not overcrowded as they are very huuuuugggeeee. There is room for everyone. If you like slides, go to Imperial Palace. If you like beach, go to Bantayan Island, Camotes, Moalboal or Malapascua.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
40 Thank travellllevart

I am sorry if your stay fell short of your expectations. Rest assured that we are continually looking for ways to further improve the services we offer.

Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Except for one minor confusion in the reservation, we had one great enjoyable stay at Crimson Resort. The room we stayed in was a Garden Suite. It was well-appointed with a large bathroom. The resort personnel are well-trained to make customers feel pampered. Food is great, but could be a little pricey.

One tip to avoid hassles, do not rely solely on the online booking in making the reservations. Better to call Crimson Resort directly to confirm reservation. They do not update their website often, thus, a promo that has expired is still in their website. Thus, we booked based on the promo offered in the website. This became the source of confusion. But they did apologize and owned up to the oversight. Despite this, we will definitely go back to this resort, the next time will be staying longer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
42 Thank CoolitManila

makati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

We enjoyed our short stay during the Easter holidays. Pool Villa was nice. But what made our stay memorable was the great service we received from all the staff from the guest relations officer to the waiters to the housekeeping. The only drawback was there were a lot of people (esp the locals) who were there only for the day. Made the small beach and the main pool very crowded! There is also only one main restaurant so if youre staying for more than 3 days, you might easily get bored with the food. I also hope they can improve the food quality and variety some more. But otherwise, everything was ok. Facilities were nice and service was good.

Room Tip: pool villa
44 Thank gracebb

Marikina, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

My family and I are glad to have tried this resort which offers wonderful facilities, excellent service, and close proximity to the sea....all for a relatively affordable price. We hope the hotel, which is new, stays the same even after many years of service.

60 Thank onebell

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I been In crimson 2times and both I had so much fun and relax :)
They have a great service, great place to relax and enjoy with friends, family...
If I go back to Cebu I'll stay in crimson :)
Enjoy :-D

• Stayed April 2011
62 Thank Abdelspain

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I spent 7 days in this resort during the Easter holidays break. Overall I enjoyed my vacation, however it could have been a better one.

Let's start with the good points :

The resort itself is very nice, immerse in a well kept garden, lovely pools and even the beach although small is pretty nice.
We stayed in a pool villa : the room was big enough for our family ( 2 adults+ 1 child + 2 babies) . It was nicely appointed with a big bathroom. The terrace with the plunge pool was fair even do it lacks in privacy (villa 535) due to the presence of an external glass wall that allow anyone passing in front of the pool to look in to it.
During our stay, as we were in a Spa all inclusive package, we enjoyed daily treatment in the in house SPA, and this has been the highlight of our vacation. The Spa is very nice, therapists are well trained, extremely polite and well mannered.
We truly enjoyed our treatments and the healthy and tasty drinks provided. A special mention to therapists Pio and Grace
Our package includes all day meals in the resort main restaurant. The restaurant is buffet style, the food quality is not bad, however there were where little changes in the menu daily, so if you will stay there for a weekend, it will be fine, if you are going to stay longer you will easily get bored. In any case I would like to mention one of the waitress : Grace. During her presence she always try her best to serve our family timely.

Let's get to the points the IMHO need improvements :

The resort allow external people to use its facility (pools, restaurant, beach and so on) for a daily fee. During the Easters days, it was full of local Cebuano people on a daily/picnic trip. There weren't enough sun lounge for everybody neither in the pool nor in the beach. The restaurant was full, so you have to queue ion order to get a table and of course the overall level of service have been drastically affected by this.
Even do I may understand and accept their resort policy, I think that those arrangement for daily entrance should not jeopardise the vacations of fully paying guests like us. Please remember that this is supposed to be a luxury resort where you pay premium rates, so expectation level will be set up accordingly.

Housekeeper service has been very inconsistent : the terrace area (with plunge pool) of our room have never been clean in 7 days !!! Turn down service has been done only in some days. Either you offer turndown service or you don't ! You cannot do it one day and not anymore for the next 2 days !

Our package includes 2,000 PHP of daily beverage allowance, however once checked in they told me that I was entitled to only 1,000 PHP. It took me 3 days to convince them that I was right. They even ask me to show them some proof ! But that package is published and available directly on their website ! How stupid !

On the last day of our stay I approached the front desk for the check out. They presented me a bill on which several beverages extras were included. I asked them to explain me how they treat my daily beverages allowance but they were clueless and they told me that they will have to clarify the matter with their accounting team, promising to get back to me shortly. After 2 hours I went back to the front desk asking for my bill. This time the front desk supervisor invited me to join him in a "client relationship" area, where he presented me the same bill as before. I again asked him for clarification about the extras charges and initially he just mentioned me that this was the final calculation with all allowance deduction already done. Still I was not satisfied with his answer and I asked him to show me the computation and daily transaction for my room account. He then called somebody ( I don't know who as they were speaking in their language) and magically after less than a minute he presented me a new bill were all those beverages extra charges were deleted.
So, as you can imagine, I felt that something was wrong. Anyway I payed my billed, but still left the resort with the feeling that they try to overcharge me.

Conclusion : the resort is nice and have big potential. From time to time they are able to reach a high level of service. However, apart from the SPA, service is very inconsistent and considering the cost of this resort I don't think that is value for money.
If you choose to stay here, do it for a weekend and it will probably be fine. Longer stay are not suggested.

Room Tip: Pool Villa are not value for money !
28 Thank Aletaty

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,975 reviews
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#15 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!