“far from the madding crowd”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 31 May 2011

my husband and i stayed in this resort from may 23-28, 2011. the resort is along a small and private beach by the sea. it is far from the city center and quite a distance from the main road so it is really conducive to rest and relaxation. it has two infinity pools for both adults and children. the rooms are comfortable and spacious. there are many lounging hairs and cabanas all around for you to laze on. the resort itself is well-planned, clean and well-maintained. the staff are courteous and the service is good. the buffet is sumptuous and delectable. while there are a lot of guests, no one bothers you and you could have a peaceful walk along the beach or around the resort, either in the early morning or even late at night as the premises are well-lighted.security in coming in and out of the resort is tight so that gives you a sense of being safe. it's really a nice place to relax and retreat from the daily hassles of life. i give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
72  Thank laurlaw2002
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

My team and I are thrilled to read such a wonderful review. Your excellent comments about the service we provide inspired us to work even harder in delighting all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

The best thing about this place is the food. Food here is great. I wanted to hug the chef..ha ha. The prices are reasonable except for the buffet which is way over priced. Other than that the resort is great. It is still very new and that is good. The rooms are very nice with great bathrooms. The beach and pool are nice. But, nothing like plantation bay which has so many pools. The food and rooms, though, are better at Crimson. The service is great from everyone there. It is full of Koreans which is fine. They seem very polite and quiet. I guess that is where they do their marketing. We stayed there twice and the second time there the internet was very slow in room 115. But, the previous week when in room 25 it was super fast.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
76  Thank joe v

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Before we arrived, we called the resort if they could pick us up in the airport and asked if it would be free as most of the resorts I had been to had a free airport to hotel transfer, they said they do have that service but they would charge us 500 pesos. We did not bite the offer and opted to hire a car in the airport and we only payed 350 pesos for it. By the way, I stayed in the resort for three nights.
When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by their very courteous staff and the ladies in the front desk were very kind as well. After verifying our reservation, our luggages were then carried by their personnels and we rode a golf cart just like in Plantation Bay.

The Room:
The room was beautiful, spacious and you can say that it is designed for lovers as the wall dividing the bedroom and the bathroom has a large window than can be opened and the shower cubicle is made of glass as well. The television is also big, it is a 42" HD LCD. I also love their pillows, it is very comfortable, not to soft, not to hard, just enough. They have free wifi as well but the signal was very low. Their tap water is not potable just like most of the resorts in Mactan but no need to worry as you can ask for bottled waters anytime and you can ask as many you like as they are for free but don't drink the ones inside the refrigerator as they are not free, only those red-colored bottled waters are free.

The Surroundings and views:
The resort is very clean and has lots of picturesque views.

The pool:
The resort has an infinity pool at varying depths, the shallowest being 2.5 ft and the deepest at 4 ft. Not really deep if you ask me. The pool is small and crowded. It is open from 7 am to 9 pm.

The beach:
The beach will look and feel nice if it is high tide since the water will reach and cover the white sands that were artificially placed there but if it is low tide, the beach would look so ugly and rocky that no one would want to take a dip at all. The beach is also small.

The freebies:
The hotel will give its guests free 15 minute kayak ride and 50% off on spa services.

The water sports and island hopping:
The hotel offers different kinds of water sports and I was only able to ride the jet ski. Prices for their water sports were definitely high, way higher than in Boracay and in Plantation Bay. One unit of jet ski would be 2500 pesos per 30 minutes. Their para-sailing was insanely overpriced, they charge 7000 pesos per person for 15 minutes and a minimum of two person is required, so that would mean a total of 14,000 pesos for a 15-minute para-sailing ride. Bummer. In Boracay, it was only 1800 pesos per person for 15 minutes. In Plantation Bay, it is only priced at 3500-4000 pesos per person. Island hopping is at 4,000 pesos per person.

The restaurants:
I would have to agree with the earlier reviews, the price of the foods and beverages were really high, way higher than the other 5 star resorts and hotels here in Cebu. The taste of the food in Azure and Tempo (two of their four restaurants) were just so-so, it was bland but very pricey. We payed 3500 - 4000 pesos per meal at those restaurants and there were only three of us. We also ate at Saffron Cafe, the one which has a buffet serving foods from different countries. The food selection was really huge, you would definitely be confused as to what to eat and all of them looked really tasty and I must say the foods there were tasty, way better than the foods they serve in Azure and Saffron. I did enjoy the food and after a sumptuous meal we called the waiter for the bill and told him beforehand to just add it to our room charge. When the bill came, as we have to sign it, we were a bit shocked when we found out that our bill reached 6,800 pesos and there were only three of us and we only asked for water which is free. But when we looked at the food selection again we said to ourselves that it was worth it since we were really full and it was, after all, tasty. If I were to choose among the three, Azure, Tempo and Saffron, I would still choose Saffron even if its pricey. After all, when I go on a vacation, I go to enjoy and not to save money. They also have a Pastry Station and the prices of their cakes were "cheap" compared to the usual price in their restaurants so I bought 2 slices, one opera cake and the other was a Tri-colore cake. Guess what? It was blaaaaahhhh.... Not tasty at all, it was bland, not sweet. It only looked tasty but is really not. But then again, it was "cheap"

Overall:
My 3-night stay in the resort was a good one, I had fun and it was a nice experience being there. Would I recommend this resort? Yes, if you want to try an alternative to Shang-rila, Hilton, Imperial Palace and Plantation bay. Will I go back? Maybe.

Tips: If swimming is what you are after, go to Plantation Bay, the pools and lagoons there are definitely not overcrowded as they are very huuuuugggeeee. There is room for everyone. If you like slides, go to Imperial Palace. If you like beach, go to Bantayan Island, Camotes, Moalboal or Malapascua.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
40  Thank travellllevart

I am sorry if your stay fell short of your expectations. Rest assured that we are continually looking for ways to further improve the services we offer.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Except for one minor confusion in the reservation, we had one great enjoyable stay at Crimson Resort. The room we stayed in was a Garden Suite. It was well-appointed with a large bathroom. The resort personnel are well-trained to make customers feel pampered. Food is great, but could be a little pricey.

One tip to avoid hassles, do not rely solely on the online booking in making the reservations. Better to call Crimson Resort directly to confirm reservation. They do not update their website often, thus, a promo that has expired is still in their website. Thus, we booked based on the promo offered in the website. This became the source of confusion. But they did apologize and owned up to the oversight. Despite this, we will definitely go back to this resort, the next time will be staying longer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
42  Thank CoolitManila

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We enjoyed our short stay during the Easter holidays. Pool Villa was nice. But what made our stay memorable was the great service we received from all the staff from the guest relations officer to the waiters to the housekeeping. The only drawback was there were a lot of people (esp the locals) who were there only for the day. Made the small beach and the main pool very crowded! There is also only one main restaurant so if youre staying for more than 3 days, you might easily get bored with the food. I also hope they can improve the food quality and variety some more. But otherwise, everything was ok. Facilities were nice and service was good.

Room Tip: pool villa
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
44  Thank gracebb

Reviewed 3 May 2011

My family and I are glad to have tried this resort which offers wonderful facilities, excellent service, and close proximity to the sea....all for a relatively affordable price. We hope the hotel, which is new, stays the same even after many years of service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
60  Thank onebell

Reviewed 30 April 2011

I been In crimson 2times and both I had so much fun and relax :)
They have a great service, great place to relax and enjoy with friends, family...
If I go back to Cebu I'll stay in crimson :)
Enjoy :-D

#1 of 92 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!