“Spectacular views matched by spectacular villas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Makati Philippines
“Spectacular views matched by spectacular villas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Having been to Cebu before and stayed at the Shangri-la Mactan (which for years was my all time favorite hotel resort), I was a little reserved about staying at the Crimson. Upon arrival though I could see what all the rave reviews are all about. The ocean view backdrop that greets you as soon as you step out of the car instantly turns you to full holiday mode. Staff were friendly and attentive. Our check in was so fast I would say it was instantaneous. Though the property size itself is not as large as the Shangrila, we were driven into our villa by a little golf cart buggy (these are available to take you to and from during rainy periods too!).

I highly recommend the villas for those who want to splurge. They are truly the best part of the resort and are nothing short of spectacular - private, roomy, beautifully decorated and include your personal private plunge pools that come in very handy after a hot day out.

Internet: Free wifi throughout the hotel but mobile is a little choppy in certain parts of the resort though not a major concern.

Transport: Did not try the shuttle as a friend graciously provided transport during our stay but our one taxi ride back from the main city of Cebu was charged at a 'fixed' rate as the driver said there will be no one riding back! Once in Crimson though I would say maximize your time in the resort rather than going to the city.

Food/spa: Breakfast buffet that was included in our room rate had a good selection. I personally found the menu expensive. Ditto with the Spa.

Room Tip: If you want to splurge, I highly recommend the villas
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
93 Thank KimberlyGM
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Nat0 123,

Glad to see you gave us a try and we lived up to your expectations. I agree, everyday when I come to work I see that view of the ocean and I'm happy to be here.

Of all the great comments I noticed your issue with the Spa and the F&B pricing. We are in the process of working on this and one of our menus at Score Sports Bar will be finished this week and the other menu at Azure by the water in two to three weeks. The Spa is offering discounts currently and we will be launching a "specials" menu shortly. I hope you will find the time to come back and let me know what you think.

We look forward to having you back and when you arrive have the receptionist give me a call, I would like to say Hi.

Winston Hanes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

The resort is a few minutes away from the airport. I came here to conduct training for their Accounting Staff. They let me stay in a deluxe room and provided my full-board meals. The experience was great because I was treated as a paying guest. Staff are very friendly and courteous. My room was very clean and spacious. It has hot and cold shower, bath tub, hair dryer. Bed was comfortable.

I wasn't able to enjoy the beach, the pool, or the spa because this was a business trip. What I enjoyed the most was the food and their frozen yoghurt. They had a variety of salads, bread, pasta, desserts, fruits. It was a great experience and I would definitely come back for vacation when I have the money! :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
91 Thank auds817
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Dear auds817,

I'm glad your working vacation was a good one, we appreciate your hard work in helping us with the new accounting system.

In the future if you would like to come back and stay with us I will give you a very special deal...just get in touch.

Wishing you all the best from Crimson Resort and Spa

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My two daughters, Jane and Abigail gifted me with a trip to Cebu for a relaxing stay at the Crimson Resort and Spa in Mactan. This wasnt my first trip to Cebu and I have stayed in another well known hotel chain in the City of Cebu. So I was expecting the usual service from any 4 star hotel...
However, Crimson exceeded all our expectations ---- the service was world class, the facilities were more than the usual ... We got pampered by the gracious service of the very efficient staff. And it helped a lot that the staff were all good looking young men and women :-) all very pleasant , warm and friendly, helpful at all times.
And the place was simply enchanting...the facilities showcased Cebu's beautiful handicrafts... from the furniture, the ceiling fans, down to the smallest detail. Everything is so picture perfect. We took lots of photos to remember this trip. And my facebook album elicited most wonderful comments , friends asking where this place is because it looks like paradise!
It was so relaxing...I could sleep in the cabana by the sea, and be lulled into slumber by the sound of the lapping waters...
The food was fantastic. We learned that there is an Italian chef onboard . The pasta dishes were delightful and the desserts were heavenly! But what we really love were the ensaymadas available at the baked goodies section . We would have them for midnight snack or sometimes even for breakfast while we lounge just outside our room... perfect with coffee or tea. In fact we brought home some so my mom could have a taste.

This is one place that Cebu can be very proud of. Oh can't wait to be back :-)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
95 Thank angeliaj2002
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear Angeliaj2002,

It was a pleasure to read your review on the trip to Crimson Resort and Spa and I'm so glad we were able to exceed your expectations.

Being new to the Philippines I had never had an ensaymada but I know what you mean, I have really developed a sweet spot for them , unfortunately they are too easy to eat and I will need to slow down.

Again, I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your daughters gift.

We hope that you will come back and see us again soon

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Crimson Resort in Mactan and can’t say enough about this property. Crimson is the colour of the heart, which is the secret behind the 5 star + experience you will have at the picturesque beach resort in Cebu’s Mactan island. Small details such as a touch to their heart as hotel staff cheerfully greet you are indicative of the sincerity in service they provide. The resort itself is a bit unique. It is not a high rise, but set up like a series of attached bungalows. It makes for a residential feel rather than a large hotel feel. The landscaping is beautiful and the amenities (pool, restaurants, lobby, fitness club, children’s area) are all easily accessible. It makes for a very relaxed atmosphere. The hotel is approximately one year old and everything looked fresh, new and clean. A definite plus!

A special note to those going to try the spa. We were very impressed! I have had spa treatments at very nice hotels, and this one is just as good as the 5* hotels’ fancy spas, but not as expensive. The spa is large, clean and beautifully done. There is a spacious change room with all the usual suspects: steam room, sauna, showers, lockers, and lounge. Outside, there is a private area with pool, jacuzzi, bar, Thai massage cabana, and lounge. It was low season when we were there so we had the pool all to ourselves!! The massage treatment was very professional and personal. I like a deep pressure massage and I got exactly what I asked for. We loved it so much, we went again the second day and it was equally as wonderful.

The service by the staff is 5*. They have their unique way of greeting you. They place their hand over their heart to indicate that their service comes from the heart. A very special thanks to Manuel Sandagon, the senior manager. He was instrumental in making our stay so special. I had emailed the hotel prior to arriving and he was more than thorough in his replies. We were celebrating our recent engagement and he went out of his way to make our time at Crimson special. Mr. Sandagon made great efforts to make a personal connection extending whatever special amenities he had to offer - like the wonderful cake that was sent to our room when he found out my partner was celebrating his birthday! He exemplified the “heartfelt” touch at the Crimson Resort.

Room Tip: Inform the resort if you are celebrating an occasion.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
90 Thank BindeeDot
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 6 August 2011
Dear BlindeeDot,

Thank you for the great review, it's so nice to see you enjoyed your stay with us. I will also pass on your comments to Manuel on how he was instrumental in making your stay so memorable.

We all try to give the "heartfelt" service here at Crimson and we hope it shows..as you mentioned we are a new resort but we are striving to be not just the newest but the best.

Glad to see your Spa Experience was relaxing, I hope when you come back you can try the Spa services by the pool as well.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Cebu.

BTW, I hope your partner enjoyed the birthday here at Crimson.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed here this past spring, it has nice modern facilities. It took them almost an hour to check us into our room with the private plunge pool. So they seemed a little disorganized here. Room was pretty spacious with separate living room from bedroom. I loved the bathroom and the entire mini home setup. But, concerned that there had so many ants come into the room and surprised housekeeping did not notice. But, than again I never complained about it. But for those prices, they should be very meticulous without me having to say anything. It is a good trip for a weekend or short trip but not for a long term vacation. By the way beaches are tiny in cebu in case you looking for large areas of sand, they don't exist mainly man made beaches.

You will get bored easily because not many things to do at the resort. You are away from everything unless you have your own car. They do have a free shuttle to downtown but the hours might not match when you want to go.

I agree with other reviews that taxis have trouble finding this place. Only do metered taxis. If you try a non-metered taxi agree on the price upfront. Also when you land at Cebu airport and you step outside the airport immediately you will be called out by these taxis and private limo services. If you want to pay a regular un-inflated rate ignore them, just walk up the stairs to the upper floor and stand in line for a metered taxi like the locals do ;) .

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
70 Thank MyOneCruise_com
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Midusa1,

Thank you for your positive comments and the good rating, however I can see you had some issues with the transportation and the ants.

I have just finished bidding out a new pest control contract, we are aware of the ant colony problem in a few of our Villas. We have been treating it but soon we hope to have them eradicated, but thanks for the information.

We are working on improving our activities here at the resort as well with new Jet Skis, Banana Boats, Water Skiing, Hobie Cats, Snorkeling, Island Hopping and Diving. Also for the non water sports people we now have two Massage Huts by the pool and offer Henna tattoos by the pool. I hope you will have the time to come back and see the changes.

Also for the taxi situation, I agree I heard last spring when we were newly opened there was an issue of taxi's not knowing the property, but we haven't had that for a while and we have a new transportation agent which has been very helpful in getting the guests into town or around Cebu for those who want to explore.

Thanks again for your comments, they help us improve...and we hope you will come back and see all the great changes here at Crimson.

Tagbilaran City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We have stayed in Crimson for a week and I'm totally in love with the place and the people. It is such a gorgeous place with beautiful people, so warm, polite and always at your service. The food was great thanks to their Italian chef. The place is so clean and i cant believe they make your room at least twice a day. Thanks to their new GM too for entertaining and special thanks to Grace and Lee at Saffron Restaurant for being nice to us the whole week. Amazing people and amazing place!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
85 Thank jeweloftheorient
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear JeweloftheOrient,

I want to thank you for your review and also mention that I am very happy to see that you enjoyed yourself during your stay here at Crimson. I am really enjoying my new position here in Cebu.

I will pass on your comments to Chef Stefano, Grace, and Lee Ann, I'm sure they will be very happy to see their efforts were so appreciated by you during your stay with us.

We look forward to your next return to Crimson Resort and Spa, let me know when you are here so we can catch up.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Beautiful resort, but I don't know how long it will stay that way as it was brand new and already showing some wear. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room wasn't cleaned the second day and we spent most of it out of the room. Since we were leaving the next day, we didn't bother to call them to request it be cleaned, but were surprised it wasn't done automatically. Wouldn't recommend the meals included because the buffet wasn't great unless you got there right when it was put out. The a la carte food was better. We snorkeled and the guides were good, but there was a lot of trash in the water and there were jellyfish that left some minor stings. The spa gave us some of the best massages we've ever had (did a couples massage), so we would definitely recommend the spa.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
64 Thank Slizsen
CrimsonGM, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Slizsen,

I want to thank you for your comments on the resort and I am very sorry that there was a lapse in our operations and your room wasn't cleaned. I will discuss this in my morning briefing with the Executive Housekeeper to see that this sort of thing doesn't happen to other guests, thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

Your issue on the property looking a bit worn is an issue I am working on and it is more of an issue with the original contractors. We are actually working to fix some of the issues you noticed and it should be done in a short time. Once done we hope to keep the property in the best condition possible

I will also meet with the Chef and Food and Beverage Director to see if there is a way to review our buffet and see that the experience you had with the food not looking the best after the buffet opens, or possibly the food ran out. I will look into this.

The issue with the trash in the water surprises me as I am a diver and I feel as a new comer to Cebu the waters here in general are pristine. From time to time there can be a a few pieces, but we are quite pleased with the water quality. I will however talk to our beach cleaners to see if this has been an issue recently.

I am however glad you Spa treatment at our Spa and Wellness Center went so well, we feel our facility is world class. This is one of the top reasons people stay and return to our Resort.

Again, thank you for your comments which will make us better and I apologize for any lapses in our service to you. I hope you will come back and see us on your next trip to Cebu.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,990 reviews
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#15 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!