“This is the place!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Melbourne, Australia
“This is the place!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

As one other reviewer said - Seriously wow. I cannot agree more. This place is fantastic. We lashed out and booked a villa with plunge pool. The room was terrific, offered everything you want, comfortable, well appointed, clean, big bathroom, big bedroom and lounge. Secluded walled outdoor area with day bed and plunge pool. Even the bathtub has a view into a walled garden. The villas are quiet, no noise from other surrounding villas. Staff from the moment you arrive are helpful and warm and friendly. Nothing seems too much bother for them. Breakfast variety is excellent. We took the option of a "romantic dinner" and found this to be a lovely way to eat, with the cool breeze of the evening, and some really good food, and wine. This place does not have the huge palm lined beach, it does have its own beach area though. It does though have a wonderful pool and some lovely surrounds. There is plenty on offer, lots of water activities, jet skis, banana boats, parasailing, island hopping tours. You wont be short of things to do. I cannot speak highly enough of this place. We will be back, for sure!!!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford, it for a couple, get a villa unit, yes they are expensive, but I found it great v...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelbourneTravelmad
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Melbourne Travelmad,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and, with great pleasure, your good comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will be passed on to my colleagues.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the not too distant future.

JAMES MONTENEGRO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gyeongju, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Spent two incredible nights here at the end of a long journey backpacking through the Philippines...and it was 100% worth it. If you're looking for a tropical postcard beach, it's not here. But if you're looking for a beautiful resort, nice pool, decent food (only had the buffet, so unsure about the rest), and a gorgeous room, then stay here. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. We used their shuttle service to go to a restaurant (about 10 minutes away) we heard about and they charged us about 10 times more than what a taxi would've charged us. If you're the type of traveler who just wants to stay at the resort, relax by the pool, and read a book, then this is your place. But if you want tropical beaches, jungles, monkeys, soft sand and beautiful snorkling at your doorstep, go to Bohol or another place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric B
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 22 October 2013

My team and I are thrilled to read such a wonderful review. Your excellent comments about our services, food and facilities inspired us to continually look for ways to further delight all our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

James
Central
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was looking forward to a quiet weekend alone with rest, relaxation and some sunshine. My plan originally was to stay at the Shangri-La, but as they were fully booked, I thought the Crimson would be a great alternative, given that basic room prices aren't too far off and reviews were generally good. With this in mind, I booked a Deluxe Garden room and looked forward to some peace and quiet all weekend.

I landed late at night, so check-in was smooth and effortless. I was quickly driven to my room via buggy and left to settle in. With a cursory viewing, the room looked all right - decent sized room, large bathroom, pleasant enough decor. Although I would've liked a bit more finesse a la Shangri-La, I had dialed my expectations down a notch so it was all I required/expected.

Except...when I went to the bathtub to draw a bath, I was disgusted by the evidence of rust, soap/detergent AND a curly hair in it. Not very nice. As I looked about the room more carefully, the cracks began to show. Like the large hole in one of the walls exposing the metal structure beneath. Like coarse bedsheets that didn't fit the mattress at all. Like the stained armchair in the room. Like the ultra soft, lumpy mattress that would've given my back hell the next morning. I would've turned a blind eye to all the above if I were in a room that was US$50-100/night. This was a room that I'd paid almost US$250/night to stay in!

It was almost 11pm, and I was tired and hungry. This was not the start I wanted to my relaxing weekend. I remembered reading in a review somewhere that the difference between the basic rooms and the pool villas was night and day, so I decided to check them out.

At almost US$500/night, the most basic tier of villa was exactly what I'd been looking for. Large enough for honeymooners or a small family, there is a dining area and a decent sized living room with its own TV, and the bedroom is cosy and absolutely lovely. The villa came with its own private dipping pool and double sunbed, which was perfect for me since I wanted to be away from the mass of tour groups that seemed to be there at the same time.

Although it was more than I'd hoped to spend, my weekend was more than worth the upgrade, so I transferred immediately. Room service was good and portions were very generous, and I made use of their DVD library to watch movies in bed. I also appreciated the complimentary bottle of wine and fresh fruit that appeared the next day when they came to turn down the bed...nice touch. There's also an iPod/iPhone dock so you can play your own music while in your villa, which was great.

While I was there, I really loved the in-house spa, which is set away in a separate building from the rest of the resort. Tranquil and quiet, there is a small pool there to read and relax by, and it is almost always empty. Their outdoor treatment rooms are also gorgeous and really make you feel like you're a part of nature: on my second day of treatments it poured rather heavily, and it was amazing to get my massage to the sound of raindrops, amidst lush greenery! I spent a few hours there on both days...absolutely lovely. I'm a spa aficionado and was very impressed by the quality of treatments there.

Overall, it turned out to be the perfect weekend getaway, despite the initial hiccups. Especial kudos to all the staff - everyone was always friendly and had a smile for you, and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. I do hope the management does a better job with the overall maintenance of the hotel to do justice to the wonderful team that helps to make staying with the Crimson such a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Definitely spring for a basic tier Pool Villa if you can afford to...worth every penny.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lilingenue
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear lilingenue,

I have noted your comments with regards to your room which I have shared with my colleagues. I informed our Executive Housekeeper and her team to be more vigilant in releasing rooms to ensure standards are maintained.

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed our spa and its facilities and despite the initial setbacks it turned out to be the perfect getaway for you.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I did not know what to expect when I first stepped in the hotel. It was the first time and I just trusted my travel instincts that this newest addition to Cebu's resorts might just be worth trip and it was! I had a wonderful time at the resort from the moment I arrived until the last day.

Service Deluxe
Attendants were very accommodating and very engaging. Upon arrival, golf cart driver immediately offered to give me a quick a tour of the place - where the pool is, the beach, gym, restaurants, garden villas, etc. before heading to the room.

Room Accommodations
The room was spacious and clean. It had a mediterranean vibe to it hence, it felt like I was transported to another place. I like the bathroom as it opens up to the room while using the bathtub. It was clean and had all the toiletries, towels, essentials, etc. readily available.

Pool
The infinity pool is just simply breathtaking. It provides the perfect backdrop for a real relaxing getaway. Take a dip and you wouldn't mind staying for a little while longer.

Gym
Good enough to do a bit of exercise. It's not complete but it'll do for a quick cardio.

Lobby
The lobby leading to the reception area had a very good view of the entire resort. It was a "postcard" moment upon gazing at it for the very first time. I felt that the sun, sea and sky all came together in that one blissful second and I thought to myself, it was in perfect harmony with the beautiful surroundings of the resort.

Transportation
I had no problem commuting from the resort to the city as it provided a shuttle with various time schedules. It was easy and convenient. If you don't want to follow the schedule, you may take a cab to and from for Php500.00 (thereabouts...).

Overall, the experience was extremely good. I would come. Definitely.

Room Tip: Garden Villas/Rooms are good for families and/or large groups.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndigoTravels
Dear IndigoTravels,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Resort:
Beautifully constructed with traditional architecture which make you feel relaxed and homely. As you enter the lobby you get a great view of the infinity pool leading up to the beautiful calm ocean. Hotel is immaculately clean.

ARRIVAL:
We had an early arrival flight and arrived at the hotel around 6am. It took less than 20 mins by taxi to the resort from airport. As expected our room was not ready at the time. However the friendly receptionist at the counter contacted housekeeping to rush a room and suggested that we have breakfast while they get the room ready. By the time the breakfast was over our room was ready.

ROOM:
Beautifully appointed room with a “day bed”, LED TV, small outdoor sitting area, comfy “semi-hard’ king bed with a clean tidy bathroom with luxury amenities. Not to mention FREE “Wi-Fi”!

SAFFRON:
“SAFFRON” restaurant breakfast was amazing. A good selection of Eastern & Western food are offered. The service was friendly, efficient and professional. Couldn’t find any fault.

POOL & POOL BAR:
We spent all day in the pool area. The water temperature was perfect. A great place to chill-out all day, over looking the ocean sipping a nice frozen Margarita. What a way to enjoy life? The location and the setting of the pool bar “Azure” is amazing. I loved the “chill-out” music played in the bar and the “double” size mattresses to lye down and read a book and have a nap listening. “Azure” food was great too. Loved the yummy pizza’s served on a round bread-board and to go with excellent service provided by friendly staff.

Wi-Fi:
I must say the “Wi-Fi” speed throughout the hotel was amazingly super-fast and FREE! Even you get connected in the pool and surrounding areas without a problem.

SURROUNDING AREAS IN MACTAN:
There is not much to do and we didn’t bother to go to Cebu city, except to see Mactan Lapu Lapu Shrine and visited the market area. We were happy just to chill-out in the resort and this is exactly what we needed. So didn’t miss anything and no regrets.

CONCLUSION:
If you ever wanted a great holiday just to relax and chill-out and get pampered by professional, friendly and efficient staff with great food and great cocktails, accommodation with great facilities, high speed FREE internet this is the place for you. I would rate this resort a TRUE 5 Star rating! We will be back for sure and have already recommended this resort for many of our friends. I don’t understand why some guests are wingeing about this resort…

Room Tip: Over looking the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KumarDaCritique
Dear KumarDaCritique,

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just had an overnight stay here last December 2011, and we stayed in one of the cottages. We had a great time, the cottage has 3 TV sets (sala, bedroom and bathroom), it was big, spacious, very comfortable and it has its own dipping pool. The prices were a bit steep but given all the ammenities and the impecable service of its staff, I say that it was worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Engr_Gaps
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Engr_Gaps

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and, with great pleasure, your invaluable comments about the hotel’s service and facilities will be passed on to my colleagues.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at this resort and I must say we were profoundly disappointed. The good news first. The place is newish and clean, the staff most courteous and helpful. Now the negatives. It is very pricey with the cheapest rates at around $200, the food and drinks in the resort are outrageously priced, it is very far from the main road and many taxis refuse to take you there, the expensive drinks are always being pushed on you by the waiting staff, the beach is miniscule and rocky to boot! The workmanship in the rooms is shoddy, our fridge and safety deposit box did not work, the door does not fit snug to the frame allowing a huge gap for mosquitoes and other bugs to enter the room. Hi-fi was spotty at the best of times. Bottom Line - AVOID at all costs

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank SixcontinentsRiyadh
Dear SixcontinentsRiyadh,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service in our restaurants.

I have noted your comments with regards to the hotel’s facilities and food which I have shared with my colleagues. I express regret at your dissatisfaction. But rest assured that we are constantly looking for ways to further improve on these areas.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to another opportunity to share our hospitality with you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,985 reviews
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#16 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!