“Two weeks at the Crimson”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Crimson Resort and Spa for our two week stay in the Philippines. We chose this hotel for it's overall excellent reviews from previous vacationers/customers. We were attracted to its beautiful infinity pool, the fact that's it's a new property, included a daily breakfast buffet with stay, free shuttle to the city multiple times/day and it's overall excellent reviews of Crimson staff. Hands down, they were all very hospitable and pleasant. The hotel also offersdaily evening cocktails at their Tempo Tea Room from 17:00-19:00H where you can get free juices, tea, coffee as well as a variety of small (but very yummy) portions of sandwiches and pastries.

Check in went very smoothly. We had welcome drinks given to us. We also received a very kind letter from the General Manager, Mr. James Montenegro, welcoming us as their guests. We were informed that we were the longest staying guests at that time and were given a few perks: 20% off food and beverages, 20% off sports activities, 40% off Spa service, complementary daily laundry services and free airport shuttle. This was a very nice gesture Mr. Montenegro. Thank you.

BREAKFAST BUFFET: Breakfast buffet was excellent! They had unlimited fruits: sweet yellow mangoes, papayas, pineapples, fruit juices, sausage, bacon, eggs, vegetarian and meat diets, tons of yummy pastries, yogurt, cereal. When we requested for something (napkin, water), staff brought it right away. When our plates were done, our tables were cleared quickly. The restaurant service staff were superb. Breakfast never got crowded for us since we were early birds. There was one occassion where it was busy since it was the weekend. Restaurant staff opened up another room upstairs to service additional people for breakfast.

INFINITY POOL/BEACH: The infinity pool was just awe-striking. It makes you feel like you're part of the whole Pacific Ocean as you look out into the horizon. The resort also provides warm towels to dry yourself off. The deepest the pool went was 5 feet, which was just perfect for me and my height. If you want more depth, go to their beach. Although a little rocky when you go in the water, you can find several spots to swim in that is not rocky (left side of the beach when you're facing the water) is smoother. Perfect time to swim to minimize the number of rocks would be in the morning 8am-11am. The rocks in the water also holds some very good value for the vacationer, as they are homes to so many beautiful and colorful fishes. You can actually feed the fish from the walking board near all the rocks. Dozens of fish will be swerming to your feet as you wade them in the water and drop bread for the fish to eat.

On one occassion, a large structure washed into the shore. I was impressed by the quick action by the beach boys staff to immediately dive into the water to retrieve the structure and to spend a good amount of time scanning the waters afterwards for any leftover objects.

The beach is kept pristine.. Although the sand looks artificial, the beach was very clean.

INTERNET/WIFI: internet connection was slow in our room, but they have a business room where you can use their computers and the connection is pretty fast there. This is the same room you can get free evening cocktails!

HOUSEKEEPING: Was excellent! The staff did a very fine job cleaning our rooms and doing beddings daily. They place flowers on your bed and make swans from the towels :) They do a good job making sure nothing is left out of stock (new towels, kleenex..). This is one sure thing I will miss. I loved coming back to an airconditioned room with my bed already made so I can drop on it to lay down after a long, but fun :) day.

We had such a great time at the Crimson Resort and we will stay here again in the future. At check out, we were given coasters, made of mother of pearl, from the staff/management at the hotel. I gotta give it to them. They did everything so perfectly. THANK YOU! for a wonderful stay and your beautiful resort with your warm staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Grace N
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Grace N,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at our resort. Your excellent comments regarding your experience as well as the resort’s excellent breakfast buffet and awe-striking infinity pool or beach bring us immense pleasure. I have shared your delightful comments to all our team members who will no doubt be inspired to strive harder in maintaining our standards.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Reviewed 29 September 2012

My Family (my husband, me, my 3yo daughter, my sister and my mom in law) stayed at the Crimson for 3days and it was a pretty good stay.

We were choosing between Shangri-La and Crimson and finally decided to stay for a night at the Shang and 2 nights at Crimson just to be able to compare since I wasn't able to find any reviews that compares these two resorts. So this review would make comparisons of the two resorts.

We came to Crimson after staying at Shang, upon entering the drop off point of the resort, it is noticeable that there are a lot more people at the drop off. I think there was a group or a company. Upon entering the lobby, I thought the lobby was cuter than that of shang although it was much smaller but I liked the the design better. Since there were a lot of guests, I had to wait quite a while before I could check in. Upon check in, the receptionist told us that we would have to come back in 1-2 hours as the rooms are still being cleaned (this was around 1pm) so that is a plus point for Shang as they immediately gave us a room after we checked in at 9am but that is understandable as there were a lot of guests at Crimson but it was just nice to have that at Shang. Since we had to wait for the room, we decided to take a cab and have lunch first, we had to wait a long time for a cab.

Rooms
The room we stayed at at Crimson is much nicer than the room we were in at the Shang. The bathroom in particular was really nice. I love that they have a tv in front of the bath, my daughter enjoyed that a lot. I liked the interiors of the room better than shang and the flat screen tv was really a plus. The room we stayed at Shang still had the old kind of tv. So for the rooms, I give it to Crimson.

Amenities
After experiencing the amenities of the Shang, i can't help but find the amenities of Crimson a bit lacking. Don't get me wrong, the amenities are good but since I'm comparing the two resorts, I would have to say that Amenities at the Shang is much better specially if you have kids with you. For one, the pool at the Shang is luke warm so you can enjoy swimming any time of the day because there were several times when we were taking a dip on the pool and just decided to leave because it was too cold as it was also windy. The kids play area is the biggest difference between Shang and Crimson. The kiddie pool at crimson was a bit dull and they charge Php100 for kid's floaters rental (per hour) where as at the Shang you can just borrow that any time. There were slides in both resorts but the one in crimson is just the normal park type slide, where as the water slides at the Shang was a great big hit to my daughter. I believe she enjoyed our Shang stay much more than our stay at the Crimson. There were quite a few kids at the Crimson but there was no one in their kiddie play area (which looked like a day care). I think its because, kids would be more drawn to the pool/water but there was not much in the kiddie pool. Crimson doesn't have any slides at the pool area.

We also noted that you would have to request and wait for a while before towels are handed to you at the pool area of crimson whereas at the shang, they just seem to pop right next to you with a towel the moment you stepped at the pool area.

Breakfast was good in both resorts but there were more choices at the Shang.

You also get the feel that Crimson is still under construction. I think the hotel has a lot of potential. I feel the resort still has a lot to offer if only amenities will be improved further, this resort would be a stiff competitor of Shang but till that day, considering that the price of Shang and Crimson is comparable, I'd prefer to go back to Shang.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kreez21

Dear Kreez21,

I have noted your comments and I express regret that you were dissatisfied with having to wait before getting your room. It is our desire to accommodate every guest as they check-in. However, it would still depend on the availability of the room reserved. We will be looking into your other comments such as kids’ play area, kids’ floaters, and pool towels. I am glad that you see our potential as we are still looking for ways to further improve not just our services but also our amenities and facilities.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

No doubt about it, it's a nice resort. The welcome is excellent, many things to do, rooms are superb, nice big bathroom, staff very nice.
But the breakfastbuffet is a nightmare. Too crowdy and service no good. We had to wait a long time to get a seat.
Saturday evening we choose the buffet, it was excellent, but the restaurant was so cold. We asked the staff to turn down the aircondition but nothing happend. We were both sick after that.
Overall an average experience but a luxury price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FlemmingVordingborg
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear FlemmingVordingborg,

I have noted your comments and I express regret at your dissatisfaction with our breakfast buffet. I am sorry to hear that you had to wait a long time to get a seat. However, we’re happy to inform you that since your stay with us we have already improved our breakfast buffet by extending the seating area at Saffron and providing an alternative venue for villa guests.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed at the Crimson Sept.3-8 everything was great, from the friendly staff to the food..
The sports bar was laughs and fun, the pools were so nice and everything was great if any
problem came up it was resolved quickly & professional.. I wish I had stock in the resort as
im sure it will be in the top 2 in Mactan. I admit it was expensive on some things but you get
what you pay for and it was first class all the way. Keep up the good work Crimson Resort.
The birthday cake, cookies and flowers were super.. Randy N. Texas

Room Tip: The Villas seems to be the place to stay..
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Randy N

Dear Randy N,

I am pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay at our resort which brings us great pleasure. Your excellent comments regarding the hotel’s friendly staff, Sports Bar and pools will be passed on to my colleagues.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

In my opinion, this resort is for people (whether you are single, a couple, or a family) who really want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. Location is far from the main city (around 1.5-2 hours away). You either have to take a shuttle that the resort provides or call in advance for a taxi ride.

The resort has villas where you can stay in, instead of a hotel. The villas are about 2-5 minutes away from the beach. Beach area is rather small, compared to other resorts. It's not a long beach. Facilities are good. Don't expect too much on the pool though as it is only 4 feet deep (max) and water is hazy. Gym is small. They have children's play area. For food, they serve several dishes. Plenty of desserts. Their water though tastes different. Staff are nice and helpful although in one instance, they did not fix the light when I told them it was not working. In our room, the bath tub's knob to drain the water was not working as well.

You can also go to different islands nearby (about 1 hour away) to snorkel, have seafood lunch, visit the marine sanctuary, etc... Otherwise, you just stay in the hotel, relax, have a spa, swim, play beach volleyball, etc..

It's worth trying out, especiallyt for couples. I believe they have couple's suits and they have buy 1 take 1 massages.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have their own private mini pool. Inquire about it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear K0rap08,

I have noted your comments and I express regret that you are dissatisfied with the size of our beach, pool and gym which we will look into in the future as we are continuously looking for ways to further improve our resort to the satisfaction of our guests. I have also asked our Chief Engineer to address the response time in fixing the light as well as the bath tub knob for draining the water.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed there last summer, April 2012 on a big corporate group. 3days 2 nights stay.

The good: The facilities are really good, the pools are great, the villas are pretty nice, service is excellent, & food was also great!

The bad:

1. The beach is pretty rough, too many rocks, too many seaweeds, and plenty of small creatures that when it touches to your skin, they itch and leave rashes. Don't know if these are jelly fish or something. The under current is also pretty strong! So don't go out swimming too far and alone without a life vest. Good thing though is that they have a life guard on stand by at all times and they don't allow night swimming. They only allow swimming in the beach from 7am to 6pm i think. Snorkeling is also good at the deeper part of the beach but you have to watch the current though. You might have a hard time swimming back to shore.

2. The resort is kinda isolated. Its too far from the city and about an hour's travel. They have a shuttle service though but they have a schedule of drop off and pick up at various areas of the city like in SM or Ayala mall. So better mind the time if you plan on riding the shuttle, else you'd have to take a cab. By the way, not all cabbies are familiar with the resort just yet as they just opened. You'd have to be very specific about the resort's address and nearest landmarks. If you have no plans in buying pasalubong or gifts from the city, then you'd have no problem leaving the resort. Otherwise, stick to the shuttle schedule or get your own cab.

Overall, the place is really nice! Not perfect but nothing is. Would recommend it but with caveat.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a villa or room near the pool. Its near the center of the resort. Otherwise you have...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan A

Dear Jonathan A,

I am delighted that you enjoyed our villa, food and service during your stay with us. I have noted your comment regarding our beach which we are currently improving. Since your stay with us the local cab drivers are already familiar with Crimson and are already aware as to where we are located.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

1. Picturesque. It is the best adjective to describe the entire property. From the receiving area/lobby, one can see the infinity pool and the beach. Clean and quiet surroundings coupled with the sunny weather, beautiful!

2. Spacious villas. We were three families and were given connecting rooms. Comfortable beds; separate bathtub & shower area inside. There were two pairs (his & hers) of complimentary white rubber flip flops, which were great for walking in and out of the villa.

3. Pools. Guests had 3 choices: 2-, 3- and 4-ft pools. For adults and older kids, the 4-ft pool was too shallow & water was not that cold. But the 2- and 3-ft pools were best for younger tots who really had a blast. There were beach balls and floaters for rent, too.

4. CrimZone. An activity center for younger kids. They can play inside an air conditioned facililty or outside in the playground.

5. Score Sports Bar. There were billards and chess; a deck of playing cards on every table, too.

6. Staff. Always smiling, accommodating, & were prompt with our requests. Every time a staff would see us, they'd greet us with a bow, very courteous indeed.

So-so:

1. Breakfast buffet. The spread was not that huge. But it was enough to sate us. We felt alienated tho' because we were outnumbered! It felt like we weren't in the Philippines anymore. The guests were mostly Koreans and perhaps some Japanese. Even the food tags had Korean translation :-)

Thumbs-down:

1. Beach. Too limited/short; too rocky, the kids can't get near the water that they just settled with playing in the sand (not as white & fine as Boracay's tho'). Adults and older kids just went for kayaking. Some staff suggested island-hopping if we wanted better beaches and for snorkeling.

If the beach area will significantly improve, we will go back to this charming resort!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sofia_Helena

Dear Sofia_Helena,

I have noted your comments and I express regret that you are dissatisfied with our beach area. We are still in the process of making some improvements in that area as we are continuously looking for ways to further delight our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!