“Beats the Shangri La Mactan”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Beats the Shangri La Mactan”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Shangri La is my favourite hotel/resort chain and I've stayed at many of their properties including Shangri La Mactan (3 times) and it is really excellent. However Crimson Resort is on a balance slightly better and my new go to destination for Mactan. I suspect most readers of this review will be trying to choose between these two resorts so I will try and highlight the differences.

We stayed for a long weekend in a Beach Casita. Our group was Daddy, Mummy, 5year old Son and Nanny.

Crimson is a fairly large 5 Star establishment but still manages to feel intimate and affords the excellent staff the opportunity to dazzle with their hospitality. Shangri La has more impressive public areas and restaurant decors but due to its industrial scale there is a limit to just how much the staff can do. You won't be disappointed by the Shangri La it is a great place but in my view Crimson just squeaks the overall win.

The level of personal attention here is above and beyond as the staff (who are plentiful) seem to have time (and the desire) to address any whims of their guests. In particular two waitresses in the Tempo restaurant (Grace and Wende) are some of the finest guest handlers I've ever seen. They make friends and bring smiles to every customer regardless of age, gender, race or language with their easy warmth and poise.

Our room was lovely and better than our last Shangri La suite. I think all comparable room types (with Shangri La) look better here and I think they are cheaper too. We had problems with the phone line that took two visits to fix. Our room safe failed twice and had to replaced twice incurring a total of six individual room visits. So that was an annoyance to lose so much time when you're only staying for a long weekend.

The villa room types I found rather mystifying when booking. I mentioned this to the guy who showed us to our room and he took us on a tour and showed us the alternatives in case we wanted to change room (great service). What I learned was that if you are an amorous couple you should get pool villa with sea view. If you are stuck with little kid(s) and don't want them drowning in a 4ft plunge pool then choose a beach casita.

The non-villa rooms are only 2 story maximum which give them a more intimate feel than the rows of floor and doors at the Shangri La.

Shangri La's beach area is prettier and their fish feeding is much better as they systematically sink huge amounts of fish bait in underwater cages out of sight off the beach. So you can wade in hungry tropical fish at the Shangri La and I suspect the snorkelling is better too at Shangri La but I didn't try Crimson's.

Food is great and I estimate similarly priced to Shangri La. Hint at the buffet add the unlimited wine option for around $8 a head. Crimson and Shangri La are both great and both valid choices depending on your needs. I hope this review will help a few readers with their options.

Room Tip: if you are a couple planning romance you should get pool villa with sea view. If you are stuck with...
1 Thank talk2mrjones
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you very much for saying that Crimson “Beats Shangri-la Mactan.” It is heartening to have our guest give us such a very high acclaim. After all, newer resorts in Mactan have one goal in mind and that is to be known as the better alternative to our more experienced predecessor.

I am grateful that you prefer our rooms saying that it is lovely and better despite the challenges you encountered. I appreciate that you have taken the time to get to know some of our team members who went above and beyond for you and your family during your stay.

You even included wonderful tips for our future guests. We can only hope that they will be as fascinated with your review as I am so they will come to our resort and experience service that gives personal attention which brings smiles to every customer regardless of age, gender, race or language.

Once again, thank you very much for all your positive comments and we will be looking forward to your next visit.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

My family always chooses Shangri-La, but this one time they were fully booked, so we chose Crimson instead. We got the Ocean Pool Villa. It was on 55% discount, so I jumped at the opportunity. You have your own pool, the view of the sea, but don't think you're near the beach, cause your not. Coming in the resort, you will be entering this somewhat abandoned subdivision. Don't be afraid, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Its smaller than Shangri-La but its you're own quiet Balinese hideaway. The people and service are so heartwarming. Their service is so sincere and so personal, it makes up for the not so, ok, Shangri-La facilities. Our room got cleaned twice... Twice in a day! Shang can't even clean it once because of their busyness. Our kids enjoyed our personal pool and the main pool too. I may long for the Shang, but this once, Crimson stole my heart.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Rnplus2
We are glad that Shangri-la was fully booked when you decided to come back to Mactan. Since this gave us the opportunity to show you what Crimson has to offer. Although, we were not able to provide you with everything you expected I am still delighted that in our own way we still managed to steal your heart.

As a resort, we know we still have a long way to go if we want to capture many hearts and I assure you that we are definitely up for that challenge. Gradually, we know that we can achieve that goal and when that time comes we hope to completely capture your heart so we can look forward to a higher rating.

Thank you very much for your heartwarming comments and we trust that we will get another chance to share our Crimson hospitality with you.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Pros: Simply the nicest, friendliest, most accomodating staff I've ever experienced ever. Their pro-activeness made all the difference; and one can really feel an honest and sincere collective character. The room was nice (22* range), spacious and cozy. Food is exceptional and reasonably priced (vs the over-all cost of stay). Amenities and activities are well maintained and does not lack any variety.

Cons: Shower water pressure is at a poor 6 of 10. The softest water I've had from any hotel (may be a 'pro' depending on your preference). The bathroom floor is very prone to flooding due to no shower door. The bathroom kit (ie toothbrushes) was not replaced albeit room being made up. Could use more towels. Inconsistent wifi service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
“Nicest staff on the planet.” This could possibly be the highest recognition my team can receive. After all, in order to surpass this accolade they would now need to compete with the rest in the galaxy. Pleasantries aside, I am sincerely glad for the distinction as one can simply surmise from your description how much you have appreciated the service you received during your stay which thrills me to no end for this is exactly the impression we want to leave our guests with.

With regards to the shower pressure and wifi service, rest assured that our Chief Engineer and IT Manager will be looking into these concerns and will ensure that the water pressure as well as our wifi connection will not go below our standards. Also, as part of our efforts to be environment friendly the bathroom kits are being replaced once the kits are sufficiently used or is replaced upon guest request.

Once again, I thank you for recognizing my team's effort and we look forward to welcoming you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I met lots of welcoming and smiling Philipinno friends who served me with professional attitudes and excellent services! On top of that, though I spent almost HK$ 20,000 for just 4 nights there, the villa where I stayed, Rm. 516, provides a 6 ft to 15 ft and 4 ft deep flesh blue coloured private pool and 2 benches for lying 1 and 2 persons respectively for me and spouse or friend lying down to enjoy the views day and night my private beautiful little garden and ocean below the cliff around 15 feet away from my living room and bedroom which is located inside an around 50 sq. metre house indoor together with a front little garden and back yard of around 50 sq. metres all together. I enjoyed my indoor served european breakfast, evening cocktails and hanging anywhere around inside the whole prestigious resort with private golf cars with very friendly, warm and wonderful professional drivers. Last but not least, I enjoyed the massage services and using all spa, sauna, steam and jaccuci facilitites, as well as the very happy and relaxing water activities and jazz excercises in the pool. I still could not forget the gorgeous feelings of winning the polo competition held in the seaside big swimming pool!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for saying that you had the most phenomenal experience during your stay. This is exactly how we would like every one of our guests to feel while vacationing with us. I am grateful that you wrote a spectacular description of your villa which hopefully entices more guests to come to our resort to try it and experience the same professional attitude and excellent service that you received while staying in our resort.

Again, thank you for giving us a wonderful commendation and we hope you will come back to our resort soon.

Livingston, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Great Hotel well kept room, landscape was great, pool and beach good. Great staff very friendly and helpful, sometimes too helpful. Very poor location - remote - thirty five minutes from Cebu and no real traffic. They make the location worse by not have any taxis on site. Taxis have to be called with a 15 minute wait and surcharge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karl1066
We thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. I am grateful that you enjoyed our well kept room, great landscape as well as good pool and beach. I am also glad that you appreciated our great staff. Although, I am curious to know as to why you said that they were "too helpful."

Also, I regret that you experienced dissatisfaction due to the location which was exacerbated by the lack of taxi and additional surcharge. I am sorry to say that this has been an ongoing concern that we have been trying to address. Unfortunately, we are still trying to negotiate with a taxi operator to have taxis on standby in the resort. Their reason is that their drivers are not willing to do so for fear of losing revenue by waiting in the resort instead of going around looking for passengers. The only solution we have so far is to call them to send us an empty unit to pick up our guests. However, they ask for a surcharge for this additional service. This is what we explain to every guest who requests for a taxi. Another option we provide is a car from our car rental supplier. As they already have cars in the resort for any guest needing transportation. We hope to finally resolve this concern before the end of the year as we would like to make transportation convenient for all our guests.

Again, I thank you for your comments and we look forward to another opportunity of sharing our Crimson hospitality with you.

Warm regards,

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Very friendly staff and a unique/beautiful greeting await you at Crinson Resort 1

The grounds and pools are well maintained and the food/restaurants were way above my expectation.

I found the staff here made the difference and some notable employees to assist your travl include Emmanuel, Kayla, Claire, Sheena and Valerie. They really dis exceed my expectations and provided great service throughout the stay.

I would highly recommend this property when travelling to Cebu !

1 Thank Donasts
Thank you for your wonderful recommendation. I am glad that our staff made a difference and allowed you to have an enjoyable stay in our resort. I am grateful that you took the time to get to know some of our team members who made quite an impact which helped you remember their names. I shall take note of your commendation as we would like to give them recognition for exceeding your expectations and for providing you great service throughout your stay. I hope that the rest of our team will follow their lead in ensuring that all our guests will not forget them and the heartfelt service they provide. After all, our aim is to give all our guests memorable experiences while staying in our resort.

I thank you for your generous comments and we all look forward to welcoming you again to our resort.

Warmest regards,

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The rooms are really fantastic but what I am very satisfied with the superb, personalized service!
Hotel personnel cheerfully greet hotel guests with smiles and even remember your personal choices e.g. chamomile tea with honey which Lee Ann in the breakfast restaurant has remembered - great training!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank marosales
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Despite your short review, you have managed to wonderfully capture the type of service one can expect from us. We are glad that you appreciated the cheerful greetings delivered with heartfelt smiles that you received during your stay.

Although, this is the type of service one can expect from extensive training it would not be complete without the sincerity that comes with it.

Once again, thank you for your excellent comments and we hope to get another chance to share our Crimson hospitality with you.

Warmest regards,

#1 of 89 in Cebu City
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!