“Fantastic stay at Crimson”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay at Crimson”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Loved my recent 3 night stay at Crimson, had a lovely room near the pool. Staff are extremely friendly and attentive and make you feel welcome. The resort itself is fantastic, very scenic, well looked after and the infinity pool is lovely. Nice area to swim and jetskis. Have to say the food is expensive and tasted pretty ordinary, I don't mind paying good price for quality food but for the price it didn't really blow me away and I wasn't sure where else to eat, this was the only slight downside but I still will give the resort 5 stars and would return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rich-Love111
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for rating your stay with us a five. I am glad that you found our team friendly and attentive. Your wonderful comment about the service that our team provides is heartwarming which will surely encourage them to continually look for creative ways to welcome our guests.

I am also happy that you found our resort fantastic and very scenic as well as enjoyed our lovely infinity pool.

Although, I regret that the quality of our food has fallen short of your expectations. I am still grateful for your comment as this gives us the opportunity to further improve this for all our guests.

Again, I thank you for your constructive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Makati
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. The accommodation was of a high standard. The staff were very friendly and attentive and deserve full marks here. Lots of activities and fun. Ideal for kids as lots to do. The pools were good, but we noticed in the 2 ft kiddie pool the pool floor was sometimes sharp and both me and my kid had cuts/blisters on our toes after the first day of use. I think this pool needs some maintenance despite looking good, but this was relatively minor (if somewhat annoying) and overall the pools were excellent. Food was a big let down in this resort. It was average, on occasions good, but with a high end price. Fries tasted like the oil is never changed. I likened it to cheap mall food, but 4 times the price. There didn't appear to be an international chef here giving guidance. I wouldn't go here for fine dining - we went to Shangri-La to eat - the food there is comparably priced (or up to 50% cheaper in some cases) and of much higher international standard. Food was OK provincial 'canteen' take of international and I wouldn't complain if the price reflected this. Problem is that this is a resort hotel and you are rather trapped in terms of food as it's a hassle to leave the hotel to get decent food. The waiters / waitresses were excellent. I would recommend this hotel if the budget suited - everything good apart from the average food.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay in our resort. I am grateful that despite your experience with us you still rated us a four.

I am glad that you enjoyed the activities that we offered and found it ideal for kids as well. I am sorry that you and your kid obtained blisters after using our pool. Rest assured that our Engineering team together with our Sports & Leisure team will examine our pool area to see what caused the blisters and make sure that it does not happen again to any of our future guests.

Lastly, I regret that our food did not live up to your expectations. This is surely not the feedback we like to receive. However, we will take this as a challenge to further improve the quality of the food we offer and I hope that you will be back to sample it. Once you do, we hope that you will share your thoughts with us.

Again, we thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort.

Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Crimson Resort and Spa is one of the most stunning hotel I've been to. It was an awesome experience to check-in in their luxurious Pool Villa. The room has it's own pool and living room. Honeymooners like us must try this. =)

Room Tip: Try the Deluxe Garden and Pool Villa
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Crimson to spend your honeymoon. I am glad that you had an awesome experience during check-in which I hope extended to the rest of your stay with us.

Also, thank you for recommending us to other honeymooners. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your first anniversary or sooner.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 December 2013

It was my first time to Philippines and Cebu became my destination. This city has given me a positive impression of the country. From many beautiful nice resorts to choose from, big shopping malls that cater to shopaholics and wide variety of food to savour, it is definitely a choice destination to consider for anyone who wants to have short getaway and preserve one’s sanity from pressurizing work-life.

Resort Experience
My 5-day in Cebu was luxurious, pleasant and memorable all because of the right accommodation I had chosen to stay in. I could have taken a more conservative approach in exercising my choice by choosing a more established and branded hotel chain instead of giving Crimson Resort a chance to prove its worth. In retrospect, I am so glad that I did not make decisions in the conventional manner as I am certainly over-satisfied by the service and facilities provided by Crimson.

My journey at Crimson started extremely well because of Mark Artaba who was my host. He was very welcoming and he knew exactly how to exceed the expectations of his guests to make their stay almost near impeccable. He is knowledgeable and helpful and made every attempt to accede to my requests to his best ability. His extra effort to infuse a celebratory note in the trip was a pleasant surprise for me and my tour mate. Thank you.

The room I was provided with was clean, quiet (humbly tucked at a corner with lots of privacy) and it had a clear view of the ocean. Throughout my entire stay, I was able to enjoy and admire the rich azure blue sky and crystal clear sea from my room. Such feeling was definitely therapeutic and soothing; taking away the work tensions and worries. As the resort is hidden from city lights, the canopy of stars at night made it an ideal location for star gazers to identify different constellations easily.

The best part of the room was the toilet. It comes with standing showers and long bath. It is spacious and has a garden view. What was more impressive is that it is equipped with a TV to keep you company when using the long bath. It would be perfect if the private plunge pool also has this facility or sound system to entertain users. The management can also look into the possibility of providing more light source in the room so that its illumination intensity can be improved.

My stay was full of little pleasant surprises. For instance, i was greeted with different 'animal sculptures' using towels every day. This demonstrated the staff's creativity and these little pets such as elephants, tortoise, crab, dog etc added additional joy and fun to your stay there. Accompanying the turndown service, the resort provided us with little desserts like pastries to wrap up the day although i would like to have fruits instead.

For those who are worried on getting around the resort as it is rather large, there’s buggy service which is always at your call. Crimson also provides free shuttle service to the shopping malls and return service to the resort. It would be more convenient for shopaholics if the frequency of the shuttle could be increased.

AUM SPA at the resort was heavenly. For those who wish to have a little indulgence, book the Transition to Transformation SPA service to pamper yourself. My SPA experience would have been impeccable if I had not been challenged and hence denied of my SPA entitlement for one of the nights. My disappointment would have been better assuaged if the manager had personally managed the situation instead of relying on other hotel staff to resolve it. In this aspect of managing customer expectations and addressing concerns of resort guests, Crimson has to work a little harder. That said, dont let this single incident of mine to discourage you from making Crimson to be your choice resort in Cebu. In fact, I have made up my mind to stay in Crimson Boracay next year until I was told by the hotel staff that the place would be closed for major renovation and would only be ready in 2015.

Shopping Experience
There are two big malls in the city: SM and Ayala. I personally prefer SM mall as the shops are more organised and locating for toilets is also much easier. The mall is really huge, think it is larger than Vivo city, I couldn’t even finish walking around even after two visits. For book lovers, visit National Bookstore, it has many good books to offer at competitive rate. For painters, getting art supplies there is really very affordable. A box of acrylic paint (18 tubes) costs less than $8 USD is a must-buy for amateurish painters. Canvas are cheap too.
Fresh produces like mangoes, pineapples, Hawaiian papayas are not to be missed. Each fruit costs less than 80 cts USD and they are really sweet and juicy. Cart them back if you have the means as they do make very good gifts for your friends.

Food Experience
Food options offered in the malls are aplenty that cater to different palates and budget conscious tourists. Asian, western or even local food is available in these 2 malls. For those who are game, try the local food at their foodcourt which I did as I think they are prepared in a more hygienic way compared to those sold along the roadstalls. For cheese lovers, there are pizzas and lasagnes everywhere.

Room Tip: Corner villas of 510+ series of ocean-facing are quiet and offer much more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for giving Crimson a chance by choosing to stay with us during your first time in the Philippines. I am glad that your stay was full of pleasant surprises.

I am grateful that you have taken the time to write a well thought out review of your stay and even shared very helpful suggestions. Your excellent comments about each aspect of your stay have inspired us to continually look for more creative ways to further improve our facilities and services.

Furthermore, I am happy that you appreciated the assistance that Mark has extended to you during your stay. I am proud to say that he’s one of our exemplary team members.

As for the incident regarding our spa, I am sorry if you had the impression that our management left the staff to resolve the issue. As much as possible, we try to allow our staff to handle concerns with the guidance of the managers. This allows our staff to gain more confidence and be able to promptly take action when guests have concerns.

Once again, thank you for your wonderfully detailed review of the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Chiang Rair
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed in the hotel one night only. The resort is very nicely designed, low rise, with gardens and villa-style rooms. Staff are just as nice as you would expect in Cebu. A few issues: the air con unit in the room constantly leaked a lot of water onto the floor (which was wood, so slippery), it didn't cool the room and creaked all night; I booked a 5am wake-up call for an early flight which didn't happen; they have a weird system of debiting your credit card when you check in for more than the room rate, and then you have to claim it back, via a credit card reclaim that takes 15 days, they say (e.g. you lend them your money for free). Not clear if this is 15 working days - I will have to wait and see.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BKKtraveller31
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
First, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Rest assured that our Engineering Department has already fixed the leaking air condition unit. We thank you for sharing your concern.

With regard to your request for a wake-up call, I have asked our Front Office Department to take necessary actions to ensure this will not happen again. I am glad that you were still able to catch your flight despite this.

As for debiting your credit card upon check-in, this is a standard practice to cover whatever incidental charges you may incur during your stay which we promptly inform our local bank to reverse if you have not used this upon check out. It would also depend on your credit card company on when they would actually release the amount on hold. Please let us know if you need further assistance regarding this matter.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with us as this would allow us to further improve the services we offer.

We hope to welcome you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

With exhorbant meal prices, The Crimson Resort is a terrific resort although quite pricey. What we did not appreciate is that the resort is layed out so that it is a long hot walk to where one can access public transit. Daily bus to outside world goes four times per day to malls but, this is frequently not convenient to use and enjoy one's stay on one's own schedule. After paying $40 each for breakfast buffet and $80 each for dinner buffet, we were looking for alternate meal solutions. But, as with a couple other Cebu resorts which we had been warned agains for same resons, the Crimson also holds you hostage with their meal prices as your only option for food and they really take advantage of this guest vulnerability.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betty G
I am sorry if you felt you were held against your will while staying in our resort. Rest assured this is not our intention as we would like all our guests to have fun during their stay with us.

We would like all our guests to thoroughly enjoy what our resort has to offer therefore we provide a daily activities sheet to help our guests plan their day ahead and take part in activities that are enjoyable. We also offer shuttle service to the city for guests who want to visit Cebu City and hotel cars for those who wish to go on their own. We have a tour desk available to help you plan your tours while in Cebu. You may also use our motorized and non-motorized sports equipments not to mention the pool, beach, and gym. Lastly, we offer island hopping tours so you can see more of our beautiful island.

While I understand your concern about our meal prices it is still considerably lower compared to the buffet prices of other resorts of the same quality.

I hope that despite your dissatisfaction you were still able to enjoy our services as well as our facilities.

Thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Resort was very clean. They have scheduled activities daily, different for each day. Even pool activities. Food was delicious and staff are helpful and polite. They offer also different water sports. Rooms are big, bathroom has separate shower and tub. You can even watch tv while in the tub. Beach however were more of stones than sands.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We are grateful for your positive comments about the resort. I am glad that you appreciated our clean resort, daily activities, delicious food and helpful staff. Your excellent comments about your stay have been shared with my team who are all inspired to continue delighting all our guests.

Rest assured, I have noted your comments about our beach and we are already looking for ways to further improve this.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!