When you think of the Philippines what comes to mind? For me the idea of travelling to the Philippines wasn't high on my list. I ended up going there for business starting in 2005 and I can say that I've somewhat changed my tune, especially when it comes to Cebu and the amazing resorts there.
Cebu City is a developing metropolis. Most of the city is still a relfection of the poverty facing the country as a whole. But Cebu seems to rise above to show change and character. In Cebu City you will find business is growing and technology is becoming a driving force in that growth. There are IT business parks where call centers staff young energetic college graduates 24hrs a day. There are sidewalk cafes and coffee shops in the business parks and the malls are swarming with people too. Overall the people are tremendously friendly and they speak English, so there is no language barrier that you may find elsewhere in Asia. You still have to be street smart in Cebu and carefully choose the areas you visit. But all in all, if you are a seasoned traveller you'll know what to do and what not to do to keep yourself safe. If you aren't a savvy traveller, I'd suggest sticking to the resorts or group activities or going to the malls. But once you see the resorts you may never want to leave.....
These are the true gems of Cebu. The resorts that you find on Mactan Island. As you drive across the bridge from Cebu City onto the island you can see that the flavor changes from metropolis to town to beautiful resorts. As you enter the island, the streets are still lined with shanty buildings supporting fruit stands, lunch stops and even sundries needed by the people. As you make your way across the island you pass the spot where Lapu Lapu killed Magellen as he tried to come ashore. You continue down the winding road and find youself at the entrance to the resorts. Most recently I stayed at the Shangri-La resort on Mactan Island. The photos and remainder of this review pertain to this hotel.
When you enter the Shangri La you are delighted with an open air hotel that the breeze flows through out to the ocean. The staff immediatly greets you and takes your luggage so you don't have to drag it around. The counter staff was very pleasant, English speaking and helpful. Quickly I passed from the counter to a bellman who escorted me down the long open air hallways to the "ocean" wing. When I entered my room an extremely comfortable king size bed awaited me, a clean and nicely decorated bathroom and even a small sitting area with a sofa that was perched infront of the sliding glass doors and a small balcony. I arrived at night and when I looked out my windows I could only see the shining lights of the Hilton resort a couple miles away.
The next moring when I awoke and I opened the curtains, I was surprised. Amazing blues ranging from light to dark highlighted the ocean view as far as my eye could see. I made a small pot of coffee in my room and sat out on the balcony taking in the smells and the scenery.
The rest of my weekend was just as relaxing. I spent time on the private beach with pristine white sands soaking up the sunshine. I splashed in the clear waters of the pools, enjoyed a few drinks at the beachside cabana, had delicious food at the breakfast buffet and hotel restaurants. I even took a few hours out to get a massage at the CHI Spa located right there in the resort. Let me tell you, after a week of working in Cebu City, this was one great weekend. I would reccomend the Shangri La Mactan island to anyone. And at $199/night including breakfast, I think it was an absolute steal. So expand your horizons and think about Cebu next time you want an adventure mixed with absolute luxery and pampering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island